You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorRenegade

The current state of the game over the last year

5 comments in this topic

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,814 posts
4,866 battles

He nailed what have been on my mind lately. We been getting way to much crap this year then in the last 2 years combine. No wonder why Me and others are burnt out. I find myself playing less and less to the point I don't even care what premium ship they announced. Heck, I not even excited for California. I can't afford or have the time to grind for them all in a short amount of time when I have a life outside of Wows.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

I’ve been back for a couple months playing sparingly and not spending money. My disdain for their steel wall nonsense grows with every new ridiculous ship and there have been plenty to feed that fire. 

It’s been hard sell event after event... I can’t tell which event I’m in and what I’m getting rewards for but it doesn’t really matter since it’s just the same stuff over and over again. Some of it is good- but not so good to burn out over so I’m just taking it easy. 

Now it’s subs. Carriers are a flop. Something about a French event... yada yada yada. 

I go in, play a bit. Lose. Leave. And repeat- or not. Anyway I agree they leave very little to get excited about.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,679 posts
10,504 battles
6 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

I can't afford or have the time to grind for them all in a short amount of time when I have a life outside of Wows.

Nobody ever said you had to have all the stuff and do all the things. Yes, it's getting more hectic, but all it means is that you need to chill and sort out what your priorities are.

My position (as always, adapt to your own circumstances):

Do I really NEED steel ships for the way I play the game? No. Flint would be nice, but with Atlanta in my port she's a luxury. There goes the absolute driving need to play Ranked. There also goes the urgency to play Clan Battles at every opportunity, though I'll always be happy to make up the numbers if the session time, my team-mates and I coincide.

Do I really NEED to own all the premium ships? No. If something doesn't have a place in my port (e.g. because there's a tech-tree ship at the same tier which does the same job), where is the urgency to have that ship? Put the money elsewhere.

Do I really need to bust my gonads playing for this hideously difficult to get ship (I'm thinking of the Benham here) and force myself into a game mode I'm finding difficult, when I could be grinding my tech-tree ships and continuing to have the awesome fun I'm having right now? No. So I let the side-grinds for cash for the Benham go, settled for the Hill, and was a saner man at the end of it all. 

Is this hideous cash grind in six nations really worth it for a T5 premium destroyer? Well, no... not really, but when I found myself with enough time on my hands to do it, I realised that completing it would solve the credit-flow problems I was having at the time. So I did it with that secondary gain very much in my mind. 

New French captain if I do everything and jump all the hoops? Hell, no. But the crates the directives spits out will have a chance for premium ships, so why not grab as many of those as I can and see what happens? Along the way, I'll be choosing ships which fit best to the various missions and whose grinds I want to advance, thus killing two birds with one stone.

It's not that hard; you just need to think clearly and keep your wits about you. Prioritize and chill.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[5BS]
Members
8,862 posts
10 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

He nailed what have been on my mind lately. We been getting way to much crap this year then in the last 2 years combine

Remember, most of their income comes from a VERY small segment of the player base. This is backed up by literature published (and leaked) by a number of consulting firms who focus on FTP games and their economies. Those players CRAVE content, and the value of their purchase intent is increased by the perceived 'health' of a games' economy, which is MOST easily measured by rate of content released.

As such, they will pump out tons of content, not just because the Whales buy it, although that is part of it, it is incidental, but because it signals to whales and super whales and even 'casual' players/payers that the game is healthy because gee wize! They wouldn't put all this content out if the game was dying right!

On the other side, I would argue burnout is coming LESS from lack of content or too much content, but lack of innovation and lack of quality control; many of the same problems people whinged about 3 years ago are still here. Basic competencies that competitor products effortless apply seem to be insurmountable for Wargaming (interclass balance). Player experience whole-sale seems to be largely undriven; basically just a giant sandbox that is only as good or interesting as the player makes it; and while that SOUNDS nice in theory, in practice, that's not how MEDIA works; you don't get a fill-in-the-blank movie where you have to write half the scrip or set up the blocking. You don't get a book where 3/4's of the plot is left blank for you to write. You pay for the experience as told by the artist. Wargaming has almost no successful experience in facilitating this; and no, 'telling a story' is not purely single player (although easier to do), as plenty of games create an atmosphere, a culture, a inter-play dynamic without a single player component or even an ingame noticeable story. TF2 is a Master Course in developing a narrative from gameplay and aesthetics alone. As is Red Orchestra 2. Many MP only games have managed this. Wargaming has not. The best I've seen is the operations, and they are a good FIRST STEP, but as usual, lacked the follow through.

This is the most interesting point in World History, detailing the most impressive ASPECT of it, the Naval War, and they cannot create an in-game narrative beyond "This or that ship is overpowered/underpowered." That isn't a CONTENT issue, that is a fundamental GAME design issue.

[KERMT]
Members
738 posts
19 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

He nailed what have been on my mind lately. We been getting way to much crap this year then in the last 2 years combine. No wonder why Me and others are burnt out. I find myself playing less and less to the point I don't even care what premium ship they announced. Heck, I not even excited for California. I can't afford or have the time to grind for them all in a short amount of time when I have a life outside of Wows.

Content is good, more content is even better. 

The 'not wanting to play' is a personal reflection of how much stress you have put on yourself over the new content. 

What I do is ask myself, do I really need that ship. 

If the answer is no then no worries, I will continue business as usual. 

I do not need the ships and know when to just say no. 

Because this is a video game it is and always will be second best to your real life endeavors and that is just the reality of it. 

World of warships has catered to the players that have time to burn, or money to burn. 

Average Joe is not looked after at all. 

Personally, I think it should stay that way  because you want to have more and more content for those that play this game religiously like myself. 

If I choose to stop playing because I feel burnt out, that will be because I am putting the stress on myself to complete unrealistic tasks in game.

So the burnt out feeling will be and always will be something I have done to myself. 

• Cool 1