NoSoMo

Get rid of detonations if not award flags

14 comments in this topic

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,124 posts
4,567 battles

With the bots and their magic never miss aim, get rid of the damn detonations if you're not giving out det flags.  Dets need to go anyway, it's a stupid gimmick all the way around.  Just need to finish the mission on the gimmick DDs so I can sell them on patch.  

• Boring 5
  • Angry 1

[SSBN]
Members
161 posts
5,682 battles

Haven't been detonated in months, did they stop giving 10 det flags on your first det of the day?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,190 posts
16,493 battles
18 minutes ago, Sic_44 said:

Haven't been detonated in months, did they stop giving 10 det flags on your first det of the day?

The detonation achievement (and the flags that come with it) is never awarded in co-op.

[LOU1]
Members
4,025 posts
11,097 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

With the bots and their magic never miss aim, get rid of the damn detonations if you're not giving out det flags.  Dets need to go anyway, it's a stupid gimmick all the way around.  Just need to finish the mission on the gimmick DDs so I can sell them on patch.  

One of the few realistic items in the game.  Magazine hit, ship detonates - just as they did in WWI/WWII.  After reading LittleWhiteMouses series investigating detonations, I rarely get them (I also frequently use the flags).

• Cool 1

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,124 posts
4,567 battles
1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

The detonation achievement (and the flags that come with it) is never awarded in co-op.

Such is the point, it should be removed from the mode.

• Boring 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,019 battles

I never thought "Detonations" were much of an achievement and since the mechanic exists in co-op, and is no less annoying,  you should get signal flags for it happening. I am not saying to give awards for the "Devastating Strike" for detonating another ship, but if you get detonated, you should get the signals..

Edited by Taylor3006

[PVE]
Members
10,234 posts
18,832 battles
6 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

4 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

Such is the point, it should be removed from the mode.

Yeah. no need to remove it from Co-op. It happens now and then. It would be nice if Co-op got awards and flags like all the other modes (and I mean ALL) but WG just does not care. They don't care enough to add awards for this mode nor do they care enough to make it different via a change like you want OP. Just move on to the next gam when a detonation happens.

Btw - saw you in a Ranked battle on the Flambass Twitch stream. You were in Benham and I believe you guys won.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[INTEL]
Members
11,483 posts
32,103 battles
5 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

One of the few realistic items in the game.  Magazine hit, ship detonates - just as they did in WWI/WWII.  After reading LittleWhiteMouses series investigating detonations, I rarely get them (I also frequently use the flags).

It's one of the least realistic items in the game. Magazine hits that resulted in insta-dets on modern warships were rare, and few ships were killed by them -- most of the "detonations" you see in the lists were from causes not modeled in WOWs. For example, no modern battleship was ever insta-detted by a single torp, but it used to happen in WOWs. If the UK had built its battlecruisers more sensibly, and had sensible shell handling rules obeyed, there'd be no historical support for dets at all. 

Note that CVs can't detonate. Not historical.

The whole point of dets is to make ships go AFK randomly (it's why WG does not punish AFKers, they like the damage). Since the player population would never accept random AFKs, WG has called them "detonations" and gotten them widely accepted. But they exist only to speed the game up by arbitrary damage. Completely unethical. I always apologize if I can when I inflict one. 

• Confused 2
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,384 posts
23,974 battles
45 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's one of the least realistic items in the game. Magazine hits that resulted in insta-dets on modern warships were rare, and few ships were killed by them -- most of the "detonations" you see in the lists were from causes not modeled in WOWs. For example, no modern battleship was ever insta-detted by a single torp, but it used to happen in WOWs. If the UK had built its battlecruisers more sensibly, and had sensible shell handling rules obeyed, there'd be no historical support for dets at all. 

The whole point of dets is to make ships go AFK randomly (it's why WG does not punish AFKers, they like the damage). Since the player population would never accept random AFKs, WG has called them "detonations" and gotten them widely accepted. But they exist only to speed the game up by arbitrary damage. Completely unethical. I always apologize if I can when I inflict one. 

And once again, I don't think that you have a clue what "unethical" means.

[VW]
Members
3,355 posts
16,611 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Absolutely wrong about the dets.: HMS Queen Mary, Indefatigable, Invincible.

Correct about British weapons handling.: HMS Lion saved only by order to flood magazines : victoria cross. The Germans learnt the lesson at Dogger Bank as Seydlitz was nearly lost to a magazine explosion, thus the germans tightened their cordite handling procedures.

HMS Hood for evidence in wwii. USS Arizona for magazine explosion following aerial bombardment.

considering the rarity with which dreadnoughts engaged one another, the detonation was a risk that can not be written off as insignificant and certainly was not insignificant in general. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Naval_magazine_explosions

Edited by monpetitloup

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

This is absurd.  

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,124 posts
4,567 battles
6 hours ago, mohawkdriver said:

Haven't seen a detonation whine thread in ages.

This isn't a det whine thread, it's a "don't let it happen if the det flag doesn't come with it" -- this is the PVE section, where I prefer to grind out the token missions for the gimmick that is lower tier french DDs.  If there isn't a counter to a broken mechanic in a particular mode, it should be removed.

• Boring 2

[VN]
Members
180 posts
4,084 battles

I sometimes think "this is a game, not reality" and therefor things like detonation as a random mechanic, shouldn't be in game.

On a historical note, detonations via airdropped AP bombs were not uncommon. Navel ships during WWII still had their armor configured to deal with broadsides from other ships, and like tanks, had very thin top armor.
So, AP bombs could go down through to the magazines relatively easily, especially on anything other than a battleship with it's thick armor belts and layers of decking.

Sign in to follow this