Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BarneyStyle

Asashio, what Shimakaze should be, or was?

14 comments in this topic

[VETSN]
Members
1,065 posts
7,408 battles

So I had a bunch of extra doubloons laying around and figured I would pick up Asashio, cuz why not?

Well was I missing out! Wow, what a fun ship.  Especially in this heavy BB meta, this ship is ridiculous, borderline unfair to the enemy team.

Besides my praise for the ship, it’s basically the Shimakaze, except for the one less launcher and deep water torps.  I wasn’t around when Shim first showed up, but is this what she used to be like? It wreaks havoc on battleships, has great detection and has powerful guns to defend itself against other DD’s.

I may have found my second favorite premium ship.  I stayed away from hearing all the horror stories, but after playing it, and carrying a few games it’s just a monster.

Praise over, a year and a half too late.

Members
3,009 posts
10,966 battles

Ive always been intrigued by the Asashio. But never decided to pull the trigger, cause I know Id play it like an idiot.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,116 posts
12,935 battles

If the old Shimakaze is the current Asashio, then it's good thing her torps got nerfed.

Asashio shouldn't even have 20km torps like that. Not only it promote bad play but it also means you're MM reliant. I always like seeing an Asashio in the red team because it means free food

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[WOLF5]
Members
3,066 posts
3,324 battles
9 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

If the old Shimakaze is the current Asashio, then it's good thing her torps got nerfed.

Asashio shouldn't even have 20km torps like that. Not only it promote bad play but it also means you're MM reliant. I always like seeing an Asashio in the red team because it means free food

This. I know as a cruiser that Asashio can do absolutely nothing against me (unless I'm really really low health). Oh? I found you off on our flank away from your support harassing our BBs? Well, let me radar you, hydro you, shoot you, and rush you down until you're dead. Those are some nice torps you have, pity they can't hurt me.

Asashio takes skill to play well, and even then is MM dependent. An Asashio on a flank is a royal pain, even game swinging. But contesting caps or stopping fully supported pushes? Nope. I think however, that the Asashio captains have been filtered out. The bad ones have given up. The good ones are for the most part the only ones left. At least most of the Asashio players I've seen recently have been pretty solid. When I see one on the enemy team, I pay attention. That guy is out there, I need to remember that. But it's not OMG, OP premium, WG must nerf.

High skill floor, but (if MM is reasonable) pretty high skill ceiling.

• Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
7,304 posts
16,501 battles

Asashio unfair ? Naaa... Asashio for me, IMO, a lost opportunity. 

Her torps are underwhelming, when I played her during events... I am not use to long torping targets.. On avg. it takes 1 to 2 min to confirm you hit something...

Guns are inadequate, 

Armor is squishy

Options are limited.

She is a true ninja, a ninja with a katana made of wood substituted/instead of, for Japanese Steel.

Edited by Navalpride33

[VETSN]
Members
1,065 posts
7,408 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Her torps are underwhelming, when I played her during events... I am not use to long torping targets.. On avg. it takes 1 to 2 min to confirm you hit something...

Guns are inadequate, 

Armor is squishy

Options are limited.

She is a true ninja, a ninja with a katana made of wood substituted/instead of, for Japanese Steel.

I lean towards cruiser play, but do well in DD’s.  Something clicked with Asashio.  It can definitely carry in late game play, when all the sniping BB’s have to come close to caps and actually do something.  It’s sneaky enough to avoid Cruisers and DD’s and fast enough to avoid CV’s too.  

It’s a riot to play, but has its place.  It’s a Random game play ship, not for competitive use, but it’s just fun at the enemy’s expense, which is where the hatred probably stems.  

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,623 posts
10,887 battles
15 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I wasn’t around when Shim first showed up, but is this what she used to be like? It wreaks havoc on battleships, has great detection and has powerful guns to defend itself against other DD’s.

Asashio is nothing close to what Shimakaze used to be. As it stands Shima has better guns, if I recall they were buffed slightly because as a torpedo reliant boat she lost too much when they over nerfed ALL the torps, not just the 20 km ones that were an issue for both the red team, if they were dumb enough to sail in a straight line for the minute or two, maybe more, it took for the torps to reach that range, and the green team because of morons launching from the second line. The guns seem more powerful than they are - any other DD will eat you alive in a straight up fair gunfight, these guns are best at finishing a target, not directly engaging. You also have to be in a running gun battle to really exploit things which Asashio at tier 8 can more often see ships that don't have forward twin turrets - giving it an edge, Shima most gunboat DD's have 2 double turrets forward. 

And so far - you've been lucky to encounter more BB's - most matches the last time I tried playing her were 4-5 DD's, cruisers, and maybe a BB and a CV, or 2 BB's - in which basically torpedoes were next to useless unless I came across the BB. If you get matches with few/no BB's your a glorified spotting aircraft for the team while being target number one for the reds. An issue shima never had because she could still strike cruisers that weren't paying attention and DD's in smoke. But Shima's torps were spotted DOUBLE the range further of what Asashio has now, let alone current Shima, you had time to dodge, but it was a wall. 

Don't get me wrong, The ship is good and can cause massive damage, got the B out of a free holiday container. But she depends heavily on MM and red players making mistakes.

26 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Old Shimakaze was the same as current Shimakaze - except for lack of the reload boost option and a couple added things and the nerf to torp spotting against it. That said her old spotting range was THE EXACT SAME as Gearing's torps - so if your fine with Gearing's 16.5 km, 66 knot torps as is, you'd have been fine with Shima's that yes went to 20 km but are 4 knots slower. And even if we wanted to nerf the 20's they could have at least kept the 12 km at the same spotting as every other DD. And not screw most of the line as well. But this was also because at the time, aside from players still learning and not having 14+ point captains, we didn't have radar and hydro the same way we had it now, so they could hide far better and torps were harder to get early spots on beyond when you yourself saw them.

[CSALT]
Members
1,383 posts

I enjoy all the Tier VIII IJN premium DDs I have.  I enjoy the Asashio so much I have two of them, and in the right battle, she can sow salt with the best of them.  It is a very solid ship if you have the temperment and discipline for it and it is more than a torp boat.  I have roughly the same number of gun kills to torp kills.

Then again, I like Le Terrible too.

[WORX]
Members
7,304 posts
16,501 battles
2 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I lean towards cruiser play, but do well in DD’s.  Something clicked with Asashio.  It can definitely carry in late game play, when all the sniping BB’s have to come close to caps and actually do something.  It’s sneaky enough to avoid Cruisers and DD’s and fast enough to avoid CV’s too.  

It’s a riot to play, but has its place.  It’s a Random game play ship, not for competitive use, but it’s just fun at the enemy’s expense, which is where the hatred probably stems.   

For me it was on the underwhelming side... But yeah a few games were fun, it was the long torping and the long wait that put me off.

[VETSN]
Members
1,065 posts
7,408 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

For me it was on the underwhelming side... But yeah a few games were fun, it was the long torping and the long wait that put me off.

I’m pretty aggressive in a DD.  First game was 3 BB kills and 2 DD gun kills.  I was laughing the entire time with 5.4 detection.  

[WORX]
Members
7,304 posts
16,501 battles
2 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I’m pretty aggressive in a DD.  First game was 3 BB kills and 2 DD gun kills.  I was laughing the entire time with 5.4 detection.  

Unfortunate for me I play every game aggressively.... I have manage  to be in the top 15 of ATL capt. with the must torp  hits... 

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,458 posts
24,073 battles
42 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Honestly, I'd have been a lot happier if the Asashio's torps had been the 12 km Shima torps with DWT properties that made them ignore only DDs, like the PA torps.  I think that the 12 km torps with PA-like DWT (only ignoring DDs) would have promoted a much healthier DD play style as well as being more generally useful.

20 km torps promote a too passive play style.  And while they will ignore all but BBs and CVs, so you can launch them under friendlies, my experience is that unless the DWT using player warns his team mates that he's launching DWTs under them, those torps can really spook team mates who aren't expecting them.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,477 posts
7,235 battles
23 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

Heh... As someone that loves to use the IJN torp bote guns, Asashio is wonderful. I often got as many kills via guns as by torps in my Kagerou, and occasionally open water gunned things down when I had the chance. Way back when I got her, I wasn't great at DDs. I feel I could probably make her sing these days, however, as the most important thing you need to figure out to play her well is when to gun, and how to leverage them. She's a highly specialized BB hunter, but those guns can really hurt if used well. Especially since they were buffed.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[SALVO]
Members
23,458 posts
24,073 battles
30 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Guns are inadequate, 

Armor is squishy

Options are limited.

Pride, the Asashio is just a Kagero with special torpedoes.  The guns are the same, IIRC, as the Kag's.  I wish that IJN torp boat DDs had faster turning turrets.  It'd make dealing with their fairly slow firing guns less painful.  Still, if one is used to playing IJN torp boat DDs, the Asashio really isn't that different, except for her torps.  And if you play the Asashio the same as you would a Kagero, you'll do just fine, for the most part.  You do need to be a bit more cautious regarding enemy DDs and cruisers, as you have no torps to use against them.  But overall, if you're trying to engage an enemy BB, despite the fact that your torpedoes have a 20 km range, it's still best to try to get fairly close to the target BB to reduce the time it takes the torps to reach the target, to minimize the chances that the BB will randomly choose to change course and screw up your aim.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this