Taichunger

Can we get a transparent patch?

17 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
11,470 posts
32,071 battles

I dont like taunting other players when I kill them, just as I don't like others taunting me with emblems and patches. It appears we are never going to get a button to turn that off or get it moved to a less obnoxious part of the screen, even though many of us have asked for those things.

A simple solution, though, would be a transparent patch. Then people like me who feel bad about taunting others can mount that patch.

Thanks.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
20 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I dont like taunting other players when I kill them, just as I don't like others taunting me with emblems and patches. It appears we are never going to get a button to turn that off or get it moved to a less obnoxious part of the screen, even though many of us have asked for those things.

A simple solution, though, would be a transparent patch. Then people like me who feel bad about taunting others can mount that patch.

Thanks.

Nyet, you may not have things you want. You get bend over center. Five season prostate exam by thick fingered Dutchmen. And you pay for the privilege. Now give us more money.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[KAPPA]
Members
2,288 posts
7,161 battles

I mean, there's more to the patch system than taunting. Honestly, I don't even see it as a taunt, myself. I see it more as "Well, theirs is pretty good, so I feel less bad about dying like that."

Personally, I actually use mine for street cred or something approaching it. I try to help CVs and others (largely DDs) alike understand CVs better.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,019 battles

This "tea bagging" nonsense has spread to World of Tanks with the implementation of dog tags there. From the looks of the forums, it is not a particularly popular change there with multitudes of people asking for the ability to opt out. 

Overall it is pretty disgusting and it is only made worse that you are unable not to participate. The whole concept is repugnant to those of us who believe in being a humble winner and a gracious loser. Of course Russia is well known for it's poor sportsmanship, we really shouldn't be surprised a Russian/Belarusian/Cyprian company would include this kind of crap into a game. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,977 posts
10,918 battles

They should make it larger, take up the entire screen. If you dual screen, it should show up on both screens. Also need to add the voice packs from Unreal Tournament. So it screams ULTRA KILL on the dead players computer.

lol

[NDA]
Supertester
5,308 posts
16,183 battles

I don't mind seeing peoples patch work.

But What I Do Mind is seeing a patch in the middle of my screen while I'm trying to see if my last salvo of shells or torps connect. But I can't because some one though placing a patch dead center on of my screen was a great way to improve the game. And didn't include an option to hid the patch or even move them to the side of the screen.
Honestly I sometimes think WG has run out of all the good ideas.
Ok I lied, I regularly think WG has run out of good ideas. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,346 posts
23,956 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

This "tea bagging" nonsense has spread to World of Tanks with the implementation of dog tags there. From the looks of the forums, it is not a particularly popular change there with multitudes of people asking for the ability to opt out. 

Overall it is pretty disgusting and it is only made worse that you are unable not to participate. The whole concept is repugnant to those of us who believe in being a humble winner and a gracious loser. Of course Russia is well known for it's poor sportsmanship, we really shouldn't be surprised a Russian/Belarusian/Cyprian company would include this kind of crap into a game. 

I was about to mention how this had spread to WoT.  I agree 100000% that it's disgusting.  

5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I mean, there's more to the patch system than taunting. Honestly, I don't even see it as a taunt, myself. I see it more as "Well, theirs is pretty good, so I feel less bad about dying like that."

Personally, I actually use mine for street cred or something approaching it. I try to help CVs and others (largely DDs) alike understand CVs better.

I disagree.  There's nothing more to the patch system THAN taunting.  That's all it is and all it ever will be.  It's offensive and insulting.

And while I don't mind the emblems that you earn, I do NOT want to rub mine in another player's face.  To me, the emblem is only a symbol of what I've accomplished and only I need to see it, though I don't mind it showing up here on the forum next to my posts.  There's no taunting tied to that.

[STW-M]
Members
3,595 posts
8,314 battles

Honestly, I would at least hope that WG puts in an opt-out system for patches.

I have no interest personally in flashing my patch on the screens of other people if I sink them.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
36 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

They should make it larger, take up the entire screen. If you dual screen, it should show up on both screens. Also need to add the voice packs from Unreal Tournament. So it screams ULTRA KILL on the dead players computer.

lol

I assume you are joking, or you are a fat 12 year old.

• Boring 1

Members
2,977 posts
10,918 battles
1 minute ago, Doombeagle said:

I assume you are joking, or you are a fat 12 year old.

What if I am a fat 12 year old? Is there really something wrong with that? 

Please stop putting people down. It's not very nice to say the least.

Also yes, I was joking.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,288 posts
7,161 battles
24 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I disagree.  There's nothing more to the patch system THAN taunting.  That's all it is and all it ever will be.  It's offensive and insulting.

And while I don't mind the emblems that you earn, I do NOT want to rub mine in another player's face.  To me, the emblem is only a symbol of what I've accomplished and only I need to see it, though I don't mind it showing up here on the forum next to my posts.  There's no taunting tied to that.

You realize you just said there's nothing but taunting tied to it and then proceeded to point out the part of it that simply cannot be taunting, yes?

If you want to see it as taunting, knock yourself out, but I see it more as a point of personalization and a show of one's accolades. With the ability to opt out of seeing one's special camos defeating the point of buying such skins in the first place, it's also one of very few points of personalization one can count on.

Now, if there were extremely aggressive ones, I might agree, but showing a picture of a bird, a bee, or a sexy woman to your enemy is kind of a stretch to be called a taunt. Even the special badge ones aren't what I'd call aggressive.

This isn't Apex, where you can sit on your enemy's face to kill them. Those I detest, as those are taunts, and annoying ones at that. But calling a cute/cool picture a taunt? Kinda jumping to conclusions there.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,019 battles

It hardly matters if everyone sees it as taunting or not. Some people do and they should be allowed to freaking opt out. IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

I find that many of us who played sports long before they quit keeping score and giving everyone trophies, have the most problem with the appearance of taunting. Good sportsmanship was taught and if you acted shamefully, you were punished. It does not matter if you enjoy patches, it matters that some people don't and since none of it actually matters to the game, it should be optional. 

Not asking for the silly things to be removed from the game, let those people who like it continue to use it. What I am asking for is the adult option of being able to turn it off. It is so pathetic that others seen intent on forcing crap like this on the entire player base because they enjoy being petty. The lack of options is stupid, I don't care which side of patches argument you are on, you should be able to understand a concept as simple as an on/off button. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,977 posts
10,918 battles
14 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

You realize you just said there's nothing but taunting tied to it and then proceeded to point out the part of it that simply cannot be taunting, yes?

If you want to see it as taunting, knock yourself out, but I see it more as a point of personalization and a show of one's accolades. With the ability to opt out of seeing one's special camos defeating the point of buying such skins in the first place, it's also one of very few points of personalization one can count on.

Now, if there were extremely aggressive ones, I might agree, but showing a picture of a bird, a bee, or a sexy woman to your enemy is kind of a stretch to be called a taunt. Even the special badge ones aren't what I'd call aggressive.

This isn't Apex, where you can sit on your enemy's face to kill them. Those I detest, as those are taunts, and annoying ones at that. But calling a cute/cool picture a taunt? Kinda jumping to conclusions there.

This is my attitude towards them.

I cant even recall the last time I remember someone else's emblem after dying. When I choose the emblem/patches, it's mostly cause I earned them and they look neat. The whole "this flashes across the enemies screen" isnt something that even remember when choosing them. It's hard to say my intentions are taunting, when I dont even remember it does that lol. 

But either way, Im neither for or against Taichi's proposal. It's mostly irrelevant to me. My 2 cents. Do as you please devs. 

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,232 battles

Why not just don't use a patch at all? Not that I would give up my Dasha patch. 

I have no interest in displaying any of the gaudy I accomplished this patches.

[SALVO]
Members
23,346 posts
23,956 battles
58 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

But that's the part that's not used in battle.

Sorry, showing the patch/emblem after you're killed is taunting, and that's all it'll ever be.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,288 posts
7,161 battles
20 hours ago, Crucis said:

But that's the part that's not used in battle.

Sorry, showing the patch/emblem after you're killed is taunting, and that's all it'll ever be.

Save that this forum is tied to the game, and you have to choose one for both. If anything, I'd call it a place to brag, not taunt, as such. Do some people use it to taunt? Surely, but how can you know what said player's intent is? Do you simply assume that everyone that kills anyone is blowing a raspberry and mooning anyone they kill?

To be honest, I don't even look at the badges of people that kill me, but you know what I do do? I look at the badge of a forum goer, and I assess their ability by it, as who has time to research the stats of everyone to a satisfying degree?

If I feel that they don't know what they are talking about, this is my look into either who they are as a person or a player. If it's a pretty picture, I see that as some show of their tastes at the very least, and an extension of both their avatar and the signature. But if it's a badge, it typically speaks of their priorities as a player. Collectors like their ship count, competitive people like their stars, and mains like their damage milestones. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't leverage this against them negatively. I just use it to get a better idea of their capabilities with minimal effort, and form my argument/advice accordingly, especially when it's a DD one and they are crying about CVs. I then try to help them based on their DD badge, as I play plenty of CV and used that knowledge to get much, much better at DD than I used to be.

Now, what I'd like is to be able to choose them independently, as the CV badge is only of use to me in the forums, and I'd rather use something more general elsewhere, as I play everything, not just CV. My ship count milestone, for example, to show my love for the game.

What I don't understand is why you see it as solely taunting. One can have any number of intents behind what they choose. Maybe they like a particular type of bird, like my clanmate. Maybe they care about their stats, like me, and want to put their best foot forward. Heck, there are also sports ones and memorial dates! Are you seriously trying to say that if someone shoved the date of Pearl Harbor in your face, they'd still be taunting you about... what, pearl harbor? If they shoved a teeshirt with a national flag on it that it, too, is attacking you?