You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ossiuum

So with the prevalence of DDs in ranked and CB

22 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
237 posts
10,274 battles

It could be a good time to revisit that full penetration buff they got a while back. At tiers 8 and 9 DDs are just the strongest class and out of balance with the others when the CVs aren't around. 

• Cool 1

Members
41 posts
572 battles

I'm a NewB with barely 100 real games under my belt, so take this question with a grain of salt...

If there are so many DDs running around in Ranked, why not get in a CV and wreck them?  I mean, from what I have seen there are very few BBs and only a few Cruisers.  DDs are played because they can flex a large battlespace.  Cruisers are played as fast Battleships that can maneuver a bit - but you might have two cruisers and five destroyers in a Ranked game.  Wouldn't a single carrier kinda lock some of the DDs in place - ie. put the kibosh on their mobility and turn them into targets of opportunity?

• Angry 1

Members
2,989 posts
10,940 battles
3 minutes ago, Boghie said:

I'm a NewB with barely 100 real games under my belt, so take this question with a grain of salt...

If there are so many DDs running around in Ranked, why not get in a CV and wreck them?  I mean, from what I have seen there are very few BBs and only a few Cruisers.  DDs are played because they can flex a large battlespace.  Cruisers are played as fast Battleships that can maneuver a bit - but you might have two cruisers and five destroyers in a Ranked game.  Wouldn't a single carrier kinda lock some of the DDs in place - ie. put the kibosh on their mobility and turn them into targets of opportunity?

CVs are only in the even tiers (T6,T8, etc etc). Current ranked is T9.

They used to be in all the tiers until this years rework. (minus the lowest tiers, till t4 i think)

I cant even remember if they let CVs in ranked at all. Havent played since I first started playing this game.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,907 posts
3,964 battles
4 minutes ago, Boghie said:

Like octavian said... no CVs in ranked or CB. Ranked because its tier 9 and CBs because there are class limitations. 

However people are doing just what you suggested. Edinburgh would not be a solid CB performer, but they are pretty common at strom leauge and up because they have radar, and a great heal... the very weakness of many other T8 cruisers.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,332 posts
12,102 battles
1 hour ago, Boghie said:

They're not allowed in regular ranked. Only ranked sprint.

I've noticed at night it's a DD meta. Sail a cruiser.

In the morning it is more BB's. Sail a DD (The one time the Benham can shine!) lol 

[WOLFB]
Members
3,092 posts
12,886 battles

That just highlight how effective cruisers are at T8-T9.

DD are fine as they are right now. I would rather see some slight cruisers buff rather than some nerf

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts

I think it has more to do with the complete morons driving the cruisers in ranked. Like the radar Neptune that decided he was a destroyer and charged into a cap. I am sure the Iowa and Missouri had a good laugh before they obliterated him.

Members
64 posts
5,606 battles
1 hour ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

CVs are only in the even tiers (T6,T8, etc etc). Current ranked is T9.

They used to be in all the tiers until this years rework. (minus the lowest tiers, till t4 i think)

I cant even remember if they let CVs in ranked at all. Havent played since I first started playing this game.

Oh yes, I remember some of the first Rank seasons there were CVs in it. I believe it was tier 5 or 6. CVs had a huge impact on the outcome of the battle. Except when I decided to jump in my CV :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by CptRemy
  • Funny 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,504 posts
18,037 battles
2 hours ago, Ossiuum said:

It could be a good time to revisit that full penetration buff they got a while back. At tiers 8 and 9 DDs are just the strongest class and out of balance with the others when the CVs aren't around. 

Still haven't figured out how to fight them from a Battleship?

• Boring 2

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
583 posts
5,358 battles

I haven't played a bunch of matches in ranked but seeing 1 to 2 DD most of the time at the lower tiers. Clan battles is usually 2 per side. Is it more at higher ranks?

[WMD]
Members
1,137 posts
8,219 battles
3 hours ago, Ossiuum said:

Might be a better time to figure out why nobody drives CA/CL... I'll give you the answer, BB AP. 

DD flourish because their natural predators are driven off by BBs. 

• Cool 2

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

The lack of carriers in ranked might be part of why we see so many DDs in ranked, in addition to the large maps and low ship densities lending themselves well to the DD meta (plus the recently dropped benham might be adding to the pile). Also the mogador is the new shiny thing nobody knows how to deal with, so everyone who has one is taking it to ranked.

As far as clan battles, against the large maps come into play a large amount requiring lots of distance to cover and open water allowing for easy flanks, but it's also that tier eight cruisers just aren't strong. They don't have a heal most of the time, and those that do really need it. Also, premiums do matter: there's lots of good premium DDs and not any super strong cruiser premiums. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles

I'd be in favor of line consistency here. Haru currently gets fullpens; letting Kitakaze and Akizuki also eat large caliber pens when they angle would go a long way toward balancing them in BB-limited modes. Tashkent and Kiev as well. However, this might create problems in Randoms or Ranked, where there can sometimes be way too many battleships.

As for the other lines, they don't really need it. Gearing, Shima, Z-52, and the like don't really need to be nerfed, especially not through extra damage taken mechanics.

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,204 posts
12,741 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I'd be in favor of line consistency here. Haru currently gets fullpens; letting Kitakaze and Akizuki also eat large caliber pens when they angle would go a long way toward balancing them in BB-limited modes. Tashkent and Kiev as well. However, this might create problems in Randoms or Ranked, where there can sometimes be way too many battleships.

As for the other lines, they don't really need it. Gearing, Shima, Z-52, and the like don't really need to be nerfed, especially not through extra damage taken mechanics.

See how the IFHE changes pan out before doing that.  That could change a lot.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles
36 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

See how the IFHE changes pan out before doing that.  That could change a lot.

That could also do a lot for the game, but those changes have gone mysteriously silent. And it was never very clear what was going to happen with the 100mm IJN guns under that plan to begin with.

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,126 posts
4,575 battles

CBs needs a cap of 3 at T8 -- The cruiser choices leaves much to be desired.  Ranked could also use a 3 DD cap as well -- what's more troubling is seeing how there's a very select few go-to ships as it is.  This CB and Ranked season should be used to reevaluate many ships in these tiers.

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
232 posts
10,070 battles

DD  killing cruisers too squishy to BB AP.  Sturdier ones like Roon dont have rate of fire to go one on one with DD's effectively.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,709 posts
3,895 battles
8 hours ago, Report_CVs said:

Why arent you happy farming in cruisers?

He'd rather be farming the cruisers.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,894 posts
8,457 battles

A lot of tier 8 and 9 DDs can out gun cruisers. Kiev, Le Terrible, Akizuki etc can all beat most tier 8 cruisers in the right conditions. On top of that any tier 8 or 9 cruiser with enough DPM to win often has a lot of other downsides, like RN CLs not having HE and being super soft, USN CL gun arcs and radar range, VMF CL concealment and lack of protection, etc. 

Right now why load up in a ship with a citadel when you can bring a ship with no citadel, which can dodge shells much easier, and wont even take pens from BB AP. Plus the Kidd and Kiev even get heals. Us cruiser captains have adapted, we adapted into ships that the DD players think are too weak for them to play. 

Members
41 posts
572 battles
23 hours ago, Boghie said:

Thanks for the answers folks.  Trying to learn here...

And, to get an 'Angry' emote just makes me sad.  Sad, very sad...:fish_panic: