Femennenly

ST, Gamescom announcements

93 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
2,244 posts
14,692 battles

Gamescom

Gamescom is taking place today, and we would like all the information about World of Warships from this event to be available to you in a convenient way. We are announcing new ships, unique historical commanders and the Halloween event. Have a pleasant reading and remember that plans can change.

08_str_Odin_1920x1080.png

German Battleship Odin, tier VIII.

She has 3 turrets with 3x305 mm guns in each of them, 2x4 torpedo tubes and 320 mm armor belt. 

Odin was one of the prototypes of the Scharnhorst class battleship. She was supposed to counter the French battleships - Dunkerque and Strasburg. Guns with a caliber of at least 305 mm were required to fight them, but in reality their development was delayed, and it was decided to use 283 mm guns with a possibility of further rearmament with 380 mm guns. By lowering the displacement to meet the limitations and using the same dimensions as Scharnhorst, it was possible to increase the main caliber and to achieve good operational range - a good combination for actions against the enemy's communication lines. 

In game, a relatively quick reload but without the largest caliber for a battleship, dictate the primary task for this ship - fighting against cruisers. At the same time, Odin's armor, despite being not bad, is still inferior to more classical battleships such as Tirpitz.

07_str_1920x1080.png

German cruiser Mainz, tier VIII.

She is armed with 12x150 mm guns in 4 turrets and 4x4 torpedo tubes. The thickness of the armor belt is 80 mm. 

Mainz is the original version of the Seydlitz and Lützow cruisers (Admiral Hipper class) as they were planned in the June of 1936. After deciding to equip Admiral Hipper, Blücher and Prinz Eugen with 203mm guns, it was planned to build two more cruisers of this type, armed with 12x150 mm guns. But the decision was changed and Seydlitz and Lützow were to get the same guns as other ships of this class.

In game, Mainz will have good range and relatively good survivability for a ship armed with 150 mm guns, familiar to players of Nürnberg and Königsberg.

04_str_with_skils_1920x1080.png10_str_1920x1080.png

Heroic Commanders

We are working on Italian and German heroic commanders:

• Günther Lütjens - Kriegsmarine admiral. During World War 2 was commanding the successful Scharnhorst and Gneisenau raid in Atlantic, was leading the operation of the legendary Bismarck. Went down with his ship in May of 1941 fighting the British Royal Navy.
  • Luigi Sansonetti - admiral of the Regia Marina, later - of the Italian Navy. During World War 2 was commanding a cruiser division and participated in several important battles in the Mediterranean. Later, was one of the key naval staff officers. 

We will share the details about their traits later in the development blog.

WG_SPB_WoWs_halloween.thumb.jpg.48de809f8062bb1e0b54a1825428aba2.jpg

Halloween 2019

Every autumn we hold a Halloween dedicated event, and it always gets positive feedback from players. This year won't be an exception: the story of the fictional world will continue to evolve. Players will enjoy both the familiar operations and a new game mode, where they can fight each other. The event traditionally includes new mechanics, which we will present later.

WIP4_03.png

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 12
  • Angry 1

[BUOY]
Members
565 posts
11,261 battles
5 minutes ago, Angel_With_A_Shotgun said:

So much for that whole line about cosmetics not being an option for the ntc/bureau *stares at the yamato skin* 

I think they said that they they couldn't make the NTC just about cosmetics, not that they wouldn't be using it for cosmetics at all.

[KWF]
Members
3,732 posts
5,381 battles

Please give out the Commanders in the form of a Campaign and not a single patch event, been a year already since we had Halsey.

Also @SireneRacker

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Members
3,007 posts
3,304 battles

T8 premiums! I thought for sure it would be the return of the T9s. Maybe WG is changing strategy. And they look pretty good, a T8 scharnhorst. A T8 light cruiser not so sure. When you compare it to the Nurnberg, that mostly brings up images of dev strikes. We'll see.

Halloween is always cool. Looking forward to what new mechanics they'll be testing this year.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,604 posts
10,446 battles
38 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

This year won't be an exception: the story of the fictional world will continue to evolve.

Movie and novel tie-ins WHEN, Wargaming? You have the basis for a story arc - you just need to flesh it out some more (pun intended).

[WOLFC]
Members
803 posts
6,501 battles
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

A T8 light cruiser not so sure. When you compare it to the Nurnberg, that mostly brings up images of dev strikes. We'll see.

Spot on, when I read this sentence I laughed out loud. Nurnburg and Konigsburg are floating citadels (but I still love them).

“In game, Mainz will have good range and relatively good survivability for a ship armed with 150 mm guns, familiar to players of Nürnberg and Königsberg.” :Smile_amazed:

I hope this is a translation issue and the ship is more similar to a Hipper with 150mm guns. I’ve been hoping we’d see this ship as Lutzow, but I’m eagerly awaiting more details.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,319 posts
7,329 battles

Well that’s Ivan the Terrible from Rogue Wave, so a Rasputin-Rogue Wave crossover seems likely for Halloween this year. Weird, but I approve.

[SALVO]
Members
23,314 posts
23,927 battles

Some thoughts...

1. The Odin appears to be essentially a tier 8 Scharnhorst, with slightly larger (12" rather than 11") main guns.  This doesn't seem all that surprising when I thought about it, given that the Scharnhorst is a rather popular premium, though I'm not sure whether a "tier 8 Scharnhorst" will end up being as popular (though perhaps the changes to MM this update will help in that regard).

2. Looking at the Mainz, I'm wondering if this is supposed to be the "historical" planned CL versions of the historical Hipper design, or if this is something a bit more fictional.

3. Interestingly, if you look at Admiral Sansonetti's Wikipedia page, the game picture above for him looks to have been e-painted almost exactly from the Sansonetti photo on his wiki page.  

4. From an historical standpoint, I don't know if Gunther Lutjens is the most capable of German admirals, but I will say that he may be the most famous, given that he was in command of the fateful mission of the Bismarck (and Prinz Eugen) into the Atlantic.  And from what I could glean from skimming his wiki page, he didn't appear to be a member of the Nazi party.  He appears to have been a highly professional naval officer whose loyalty was to the service and to his nation.

All in all, a very interesting post on things to come.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[UFFA]
Members
1,914 posts
73 battles

51SjwT+RhWL.jpg

Am I a joke to you?

I get it, I get it. Gigi's first name is all y'all saw. :Smile-_tongue:

edit: Thank you for the sabaton concernt! 

Edited by Sparviero

[SUCIT]
Members
649 posts
15,829 battles
1 hour ago, Femennenly said:

German cruiser Mainz, tier VIII.

She is armed with 12x150 mm guns in 4 turrets and 4x4 torpedo tubes. The thickness of the armor belt is 80 mm. 

Seeing you chose that name instead of Seydlitz or Lützow kind of hints at these names are being reserved for their more famous and well known WW1 counterparts. Also has an quad launchers rather than Hipper's triples.

relatively good survivability for a ship armed with 150 mm guns, familiar to players of Nürnberg and Konigsberg

I have never seen good survivability, Konigsberg, and Nurnberg used in the same sentence before.

German Battleship Odin, tier VIII.

She has 3 turrets with 3x305 mm guns in each of them, 2x4 torpedo tubes and 320 mm armor belt. 

T8 Scharnhorst. Although slightly concerned about 12in guns on a T8 BB due to massive overmatch issues, but unlike Poltava, there definetly is armor here, probably a turtleback, torps and secondaries, so Tirpitz that can't overmatch anything?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,398 posts
12,937 battles

Lutjens as a heroic commander? Checks calendar to see if it is April 1st, nope, August 21st. So many other excellent and better choices and they choose him.

[NGA]
Members
1,894 posts
9,994 battles
19 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

T8 Scharnhorst. Although slightly concerned about 12in guns on a T8 BB due to massive overmatch issues, but unlike Poltava, there definetly is armor here, probably a turtleback, torps and secondaries, so Tirpitz that can't overmatch anything?

I'm personally interested in those secondaries. From the looks of it, I'd guess those centerline ones are 150mm with three dual 100mm on each side. Rather minimalistic for a German BB.

[SALVO]
Members
23,314 posts
23,927 battles
28 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Seeing you chose that name instead of Seydlitz or Lützow kind of hints at these names are being reserved for their more famous and well known WW1 counterparts. Also has an quad launchers rather than Hipper's triples.

This is a VERY good observation and point, tfcas.  :cap_like:

[SALVO]
Members
23,314 posts
23,927 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Lutjens as a heroic commander? Checks calendar to see if it is April 1st, nope, August 21st. So many other excellent and better choices and they choose him.

Perhaps and probably true.  And yet, it may also be safe to say that Lutjens may be the most famous, aka well-known, German admiral of WW2, due to the Bismarck mission (not to mention being in the "Sink the Bismarck!" movie, even if unfairly portrayed as a zealous Nazi, rather than the capable and dedicated professional naval officer who was loyal to the navy and to his country, regardless of its political leadership (which seems to be a more accurate description of Lutjens, though I admit that I could be wrong about this).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,398 posts
12,937 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Perhaps and probably true.  And yet, it may also be safe to say that Lutjens may be the most famous, aka well-known, German admiral of WW2, due to the Bismarck mission (not to mention being in the "Sink the Bismarck!" movie, even if unfairly portrayed as a zealous Nazi, rather than the capable and dedicated professional naval officer who was loyal to the navy and to his country, regardless of its political leadership (which seems to be a more accurate description of Lutjens, though I admit that I could be wrong about this).

He is well known but the quote in my signature is when Lindemann had enough arguing with Lutjens about opening fire, their orders were to not engage main fleet units, since the Hood had been firing for some time.

[SALVO]
Members
23,314 posts
23,927 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

He is well known but the quote in my signature is when Lindemann had enough arguing with Lutjens about opening fire, their orders were to not engage main fleet units, since the Hood had been firing for some time.

Yes, I'm aware of the quote.  I also happened to read in Lutjens' wiki article that one of the things he was known for was scrupulously obeying orders to the letter.  So, I suppose that it shouldn't surprise me that he didn't order the Bismarck and PE to open fire.  It seems rather dumb to me to not open fire when being fired upon like that.  If he wanted to break contact, he still could try.  But not firing when already being fired upon just because of blind obedience to orders almost seems dumb in this situation, as I can't see any advantage to be gained by not opening fire.

Regardless, I still think that his inclusion is largely due to Lutjens being so well known more than anything else.

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,208 posts
20,918 battles

@Femennenly Stop development! 

Odin was the Scandinavian interpretation while Woden was the Southern Germanic interpretation of the same God. Despite being the same, he is also somewhat different between the religious and cultural interpretations. Thus, it would be more fitting to adjust the name for the German ship to be more the Germanic "Woden" instead of Odin.

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 6

[SUCIT]
Members
649 posts
15,829 battles
48 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I'm personally interested in those secondaries. From the looks of it, I'd guess those centerline ones are 150mm with three dual 100mm on each side. Rather minimalistic for a German BB

They look more like the 128mms that Kurfurst has, so it has slightly better pen than the 105s without trading that much RoF. That makes the broadside secondary weight better than Tirpitz's

• Cool 1

[FPWW]
Members
5 posts
1,863 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I’ve been hoping we’d see this ship as Lutzow, but I’m eagerly awaiting more details.

They're probably saving Lutzov to become Petropavlovsk, as we all know that every Soviet lend lease/trophy/purchased ship needs to be in the game. 

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,937 posts
7,869 battles
3 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Please give out the Commanders in the form of a Campaign and not a single patch event, been a year already since we had Halsey.

Also @SireneRacker

I have been waiting for a 150mm armed Hipper for some time, and the prayers have been heard. Praise!

[ARMDG]
Members
1,167 posts
3,850 battles

Who's the guy behind the Yamato commander? He provided 2 or 3 commanders already with his portrait.