Jump to content
Femennenly

ST, changes to test ships

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

5,522
[WGA]
Administrator
2,249 posts
14,707 battles

ST, changes to test ships


British battleship Thunderer, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time lowered from 30 to 26 s;
  • Sigma lowered from 2.0 to 1.9;
  • Lowered the size of the dispersion ellipse.

Thunderer has a relatively weak armor scheme and not the best Repair party, her main strength is her guns. But testing showed that they were not efficient enough. 


American battleship Ohio, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time increased from 26 to 30 s;
  • Sigma increased from 1.9 to 2.0;
  • Increased the size of the dispersion ellipse;
  • Amount of hit points restored per second by Repair party is lowered from 0.66% to 0.5% of maximum hit points.

Thanks to effective secondaries and good guns, Ohio was too effective at all distances. The guns parameters were changed to keep the ship strong in close and medium range, but lowering the overall efficiency. Moreover, Repair party had too big of an impact on the overall survivability of the ship.


Italian researchable cruisers

  • Removed the damage limit of semi-armor-piercing for shells of caliber of 283 mm and lower against destroyers;
  • Improved ricochet angles of semi-armor-piercing shells from 60-85 to 80-85;
  • Changed the basic firing range of main caliber guns:
    • Taranto, tier III: increased from 9.6 to 10.34 km;
    • Alberto di Guissano, tier IV: lowered from 14.14 to 13.51 km;
    • Trento, tier VI: lowered from 15.37 to 14.65 km;
    • Zara, tier VII: increased from 14.32 to 14.65 km;
    • Amalfi, tier VIII: increased from 13.95 to 14.68 km;
    • Brindisi, tier IX: increased from 15.21 to 15.57 km.
  • Venezia, tier X: improved firing angles for the second turret by 19 degrees to both sides.

Semi-armor-piercing shells are an intermediate between AP and HE shells: AP deals good damage when hitting citadel, HE does stable but relatively low damage and can causes fires. SAP shells should deal good stable non-citadel damage, but due to the ricochet angles they were not effective. Also, due to the limit on damage against destroyers, this cruisers were weak against this class, so the limit was removed.

The changes to the firing range will build the progress logically from tier to tier. 


WIP4_03.png

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

  • Cool 8
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
149
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
719 posts

glad to see the silly damage limit on dd's is removed, now i'll take the line out for a spin

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,290
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,241 posts
12,979 battles

Oh wow that SAP, that's an effective maximum of 25,740 damage from the 15-gun T10, up from 7,800 (yeah most DD would take 3 100% hit rate volleys to die). Spicy. 

For contrast at 100% hits and full pens Zao would do 13,464 damage. 

That 'creep up behind DD and try to blap a red DD cruiser, Zao' has half the anti-DD alpha...

That's... Rather exciting, especially given the rather good (why even bother) autobounce.

 

Ohio and Thunderer are unsurprising, the only surprise there was wasting a whole round to figure out that DFAA isn't worth a massive gun and repair downgrade (duh...) On Thunderer and that Ohio had a bit much going for her!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[GROVE]
Members
11 posts

They put the new resource of the Office of Investigation that costs a great effort to reach a level x to obtain the resource and now their minimum rewards are nerfean wth :Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles

Wow, did you literally swap the Thunderer's and the Ohio's gun characteristics? That's pretty funny. It's also a good thing that that the Italian cruisers can actually damage destroyers well now. 

6 minutes ago, mofton said:

Oh wow that SAP, that's an effective maximum of 25,740 damage from the 15-gun T10, up from 7,800 (yeah most DD would take 3 100% hit rate volleys to die). Spicy. 

For contrast at 100% hits and full pens Zao would do 13,464 damage. 

That 'creep up behind DD and try to blap a red DD cruiser, Zao' has half the anti-DD alpha...

That's... Rather exciting, especially given the rather good (why even bother) autobounce.

 

Ohio and Thunderer are unsurprising, the only surprise there was wasting a whole round to figure out that DFAA isn't worth a massive gun and repair downgrade (duh...) On Thunderer and that Ohio had a bit much going for her!

But during that time a DD got lit up a Zao could probably shoot twice or thrice.

Edited by tyinnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,122
[KWF]
Members
3,740 posts
5,399 battles

Considering these ships should function better at range most of the time due to the shell velocities and the nature of their smoke, I think DDs should have enough time to properly angle against SAP. 

That said the close range potential can be pretty sick, waiting on CC content to see how it turns out :Smile_great:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,422
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles

Interesting choice to swap guns on the Thunderer and Ohio. We'll see though, the double-changes on gun characteristics (accuracy AND reload) may be an overcorrection.

SAP though... not liking that alpha strike potential on DDs. Against cruisers, it's acceptable due to the low reload on Italian cruisers.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,301
[WOLFG]
Members
7,417 posts
5,381 battles
11 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

 

SAP though... not liking that alpha strike potential on DDs. Against cruisers, it's acceptable due to the low reload on Italian cruisers.

The original SAP (10%) was probably too low on the rate of fire of the Italian cruisers.

Going to full damage seems like overcompensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,422
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The original SAP (10%) was probably too low on the rate of fire of the Italian cruisers.

Going to full damage seems like overcompensation.

10% was silly low unless their intent was for the line to suck against DDs, yes. But as you say, full AP+ pen damage at nearly any angle...

There's a debate going in our clan Discord about whether this is acceptable, given the long reload time and medium-long spotting distance of the Italian cruisers, but hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Going to full damage seems like overcompensation.

Yeah but you have to remember the Italians have 0.5-2x the reload then other cruisers. while 10% was to low the full 33% is to high I was thinking they were going to buff it to like 15-20%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,422
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles
3 minutes ago, SouthboundPachyderm said:

No changes for Friesland... does that mean it's "done"? 

Friesland is being released on September 14, according to a meetup event announcement on the EU server.

Edited by Edgecase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,301
[WOLFG]
Members
7,417 posts
5,381 battles
8 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

Yeah but you have to remember the Italians have 0.5-2x the reload then other cruisers. while 10% was to low the full 33% is to high I was thinking they were going to buff it to like 15-20%

Well, they are in testing.  Maybe after a run of popping DDs like zits a middle ground will be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,290
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,241 posts
12,979 battles
1 hour ago, tyinnow said:

 

But during that time a DD got lit up a Zao could probably shoot twice or thrice.

Maybe, Zao has a 13.6s reload to the 20s of the T10 Italian I forget the name of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
117 posts
8,963 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Friesland is being released on September 14, according to a meetup event announcement on the EU server.

Actually it doesn't mention the release date, just the event date. It's to celebrate the release but not necessarily tied to that particular day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[SUCIT]
Members
654 posts
15,878 battles
2 hours ago, Femennenly said:

British battleship Thunderer, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time lowered from 30 to 26 s;
  • Sigma lowered from 2.0 to 1.9;
  • Lowered the size of the dispersion ellipse.

not surprised, basically needed 4-secs less reload and Warspite dispersion and it'd be good to go.

2 hours ago, Femennenly said:
  • Main battery guns reload time increased from 26 to 30 s;
  • Sigma increased from 1.9 to 2.0;
  • Increased the size of the dispersion ellipse;
  • Amount of hit points restored per second by Repair party is lowered from 0.66% to 0.5% of maximum hit points.

Again, not that surprised Ohio got nerfed, but I do feel now she will basically become what Thunderer was, although she has really good secondaries to promote getting closer, and APR2 for 11%better dispersion.

3 hours ago, Femennenly said:
  • Removed the damage limit of semi-armor-piercing for shells of caliber of 283 mm and lower against destroyers;
  • Improved ricochet angles of semi-armor-piercing shells from 60-85 to 80-85;
  • Changed the basic firing range of main caliber guns:
    • Taranto, tier III: increased from 9.6 to 10.34 km;
    • Alberto di Guissano, tier IV: lowered from 14.14 to 13.51 km;
    • Trento, tier VI: lowered from 15.37 to 14.65 km;
    • Zara, tier VII: increased from 14.32 to 14.65 km;
    • Amalfi, tier VIII: increased from 13.95 to 14.68 km;
    • Brindisi, tier IX: increased from 15.21 to 15.57 km.
  • Venezia, tier X: improved firing angles for the second turret by 19 degrees to both sides.

So now SAP basically doesn't bounce. increasing the range of them is nice. However, 33% damage to DDs might be too much. Below T7, not much to worry, few guns and long reload. T8 on up, however, when you get 9, 12, and 15 guns that are capable of oneshotting every DD but two, and one of them needs SE to survive it. Maybe tone this down to 20% against DDs.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,380
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,753 posts
10,117 battles
4 hours ago, Femennenly said:

British battleship Thunderer, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time lowered from 30 to 26 s;
  • Sigma lowered from 2.0 to 1.9;
  • Lowered the size of the dispersion ellipse.

Thunderer has a relatively weak armor scheme and not the best Repair party, her main strength is her guns. But testing showed that they were not efficient enough. 


American battleship Ohio, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time increased from 26 to 30 s;
  • Sigma increased from 1.9 to 2.0;
  • Increased the size of the dispersion ellipse;
  • Amount of hit points restored per second by Repair party is lowered from 0.66% to 0.5% of maximum hit points.

Thanks to effective secondaries and good guns, Ohio was too effective at all distances. The guns parameters were changed to keep the ship strong in close and medium range, but lowering the overall efficiency. Moreover, Repair party had too big of an impact on the overall survivability of the ship.

these 2 were much needed, the Ohio will do just fine with a 30 second reload, and Thunderer, well, from what ive seen and heard, Thunderer could use all the help it can get with how sucky it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
582
[UFFA]
Members
1,915 posts
73 battles

Still abysmal range for large cruisers(VIII+) that rely on Alpha instead of sustained damage and hopes that the alpha spike is not mitigated by saturation rules. SAP round that uses the lighter HE round which causes floaty shell syndrome in the game engine. Etc.

Venezia's famed 15 gun ability requires the cruiser to be angled such that it will be citadeled from the moon. The firing angles on the second turret are a joke. I'm not really sure how anyone can seriously justify a rate of fire that decreases from VII to VIII-X. Not to mention the AP shell is kept purposefully weak to justify a non-existant SAP shell as the preferred choice. :Smile_facepalm:

5lHAJyp.png

Edited by Sparviero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
563
[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,198 posts
10,676 battles
9 hours ago, Femennenly said:

ST, changes to test ships


 


Italian researchable cruisers

  • Removed the damage limit of semi-armor-piercing for shells of caliber of 283 mm and lower against destroyers.

This is the best news in a long time: thank you... :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
284
[UN1]
Members
748 posts
2,793 battles
18 hours ago, Femennenly said:

ST, changes to test ships


British battleship Thunderer, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time lowered from 30 to 26 s;
  • Sigma lowered from 2.0 to 1.9;
  • Lowered the size of the dispersion ellipse.

Thunderer has a relatively weak armor scheme and not the best Repair party, her main strength is her guns. But testing showed that they were not efficient enough. 


American battleship Ohio, tier X:

  • Main battery guns reload time increased from 26 to 30 s;
  • Sigma increased from 1.9 to 2.0;
  • Increased the size of the dispersion ellipse;
  • Amount of hit points restored per second by Repair party is lowered from 0.66% to 0.5% of maximum hit points.

Thanks to effective secondaries and good guns, Ohio was too effective at all distances. The guns parameters were changed to keep the ship strong in close and medium range, but lowering the overall efficiency. Moreover, Repair party had too big of an impact on the overall survivability of the ship.

 


 

WIP4_03.png

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Totally needed.  I felt like Ohio had Thunderer's dispersion and Thunderer needed Ohio's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×