You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

WG: Please refund Manual AA when 0.8.7 drops (update: they did it!)

22 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,988 posts
16,620 battles

UPDATE: Free respecs during the first week of the patch can be claimed by clicking the button in the AA section of the patch notes here. Good job WG, thanks for listening!

--- Original post below ---

Hi @Femennenly or @Kami! I'm assuming 0.8.7 will be arriving soon, and I wanted to remind you that the 4-point commander skill Manual Fire Control for AA Armament (MFAA) has been redesigned in a way that makes it a performance LOSS for many ships which it was previously a good choice on*. I believe this justifies refunding it across all captains -- doesn't have to be a full respec, just take the skill off and give back the four points please. Thanks!

*Explanation:

Spoiler

MFAA in 0.8.6 is a multiplier on the bonus of the priority sector mechanic, so you take it on ships with strong AA to make it super strong AA.

In the 0.8.7 redesign, MFAA is only optimal on ships with LOW AA. It sacrifices the ramping damage multiplier for a flat damage bonus on activation. While this is good on low-AA ships who get very little out of the multiplier portion, putting 0.8.7 MFAA on a ship with high AA can actually reduce the ship's AA. This is because the instant burst damage gain may be smaller than the cumulative damage gained by multiplying a large AA number through the standard 0.8.7 priority sector mechanic.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 8

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@Edgecase the PT 8.7 AA change is no less devastating than any AA has been since the CV rework garbage started. If you are in a clan and played even 1 battle you are going to get a free skill reset anyway.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles

IMO it was a garbage skill from rework Day 1, and anyone who took it over some other four-point skill made a bad choice. I think it's the only four-point skill I've never considered for any of my ships.

• Cool 4
  • Angry 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,675 posts
13,983 battles

AA used to be dps and range.  Even I could understand it.  More dps - good, more range - good.  Didn’t matter what the ship was, it’s type or nationality.  The current system in all of its past, current and future iterations are approaching Rube Goldberg level of design, and I don’t have a flipping clue what does what.

WG, I would like a free respec so I could remove every AA skill I’ve researched, of which I have no freaking clue what is good, what is bad, what is sometimes good for some ships, what is sometimes bad for other ships, and spend those points on skills *I know beyond a shadow of a doubt* are useful.

In pursuit of “balance” WG has completely lost sight of “user friendly”

Edited by FrodoFraggin

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,457 posts
10,848 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IMO it was a garbage skill from rework Day 1, and anyone who took it over some other four-point skill made a bad choice. I think it's the only four-point skill I've never considered for any of my ships.

No other AA skill murdered planes faster post-rework.  MFAA was the best way to kill planes, regardless of which ship or class you put it on.  

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,714 posts
8,685 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It isn't just manual AA. They are changing the functionality of several of the AA skills and DFAA as well. I think they should at least refund all the AA skills and modules and let people decide what is worthwhile under the new regime. 

[RLGN]
Members
12,320 posts
22,076 battles
23 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

May have put it some of my ARPs originally, because so many, why not a full AA build; but they may not be there NOW because I clean slated all my ships during the CV rework resets.

[SBS]
Members
5,146 posts
2,408 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Here's the continuous DPS for an AA build Grozovoi with and without MFAA.  Keep in mind this is damage per second.  To say this extra damage adds up fast is an understatement.   

Groz w/o MFAA With MFAA
Short 219 263
Mid 399 479
Long 200 239

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
495 posts
8,680 battles

i can say the new fiers fire or whatever they call it is indeed worst for most ships. I tested for serveral hours playing akizuki in the traning room against low same and high tier carriers and found that i shot down more planes faster without the skill than i did with the skill. So yeah i believe most people will need to get a free captain repect with how the skill is currently implimented in the pt server.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Don't hold your breath. They didn't refund a number of CV skills after the last series of nerfs. I would think the next server-wide free reset will be when subs are released, as it is reasonable to assume there will be new Captain skills/modifications to old built around the new class.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,863 posts
19 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Update: The patch notes are posted, and in the middle of them, there is a button you can push to claim a week of free commander respecs. Thanks, WG!

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/

Thanks for the heads up!

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
23 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Update: The patch notes are posted, and in the middle of them, there is a button you can push to claim a week of free commander respecs. Thanks, WG!

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/

That has to be about the dumbest idea they've had yet. "Lets give a free reset, and we'll hide it in the middle of patch notes to make sure no one knows about it."

They know no one reads the patch notes....:Smile_facepalm:

[A-D-F]
5,863 posts
Just now, awiggin said:

That has to be about the dumbest idea they've had yet. "Lets give a free reset, and we'll hide it in the middle of patch notes to make sure no one knows about it."

They know no one reads the patch notes....:Smile_facepalm:

They have had events in the past where you have to click the button in the news to participate.  Just like the rewards that Fem puts op here on the forum every week for the contests.  They are easy to do and easy to get the benefits but you have to actually read.

I think the idea is to try to solve the problem that you describe and create benefits if people actually go read them.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
Just now, Burnsy said:

They have had events in the past where you have to click the button in the news to participate.  Just like the rewards that Fem puts op here on the forum every week for the contests.  They are easy to do and easy to get the benefits but you have to actually read.

I think the idea is to try to solve the problem that you describe and create benefits if people actually go read them.

Yes Burnsey, nothing has changed for four years, but this will get everyone to read the webpage....:Smile_facepalm:

[TMS]
Members
1,472 posts
10,369 battles

I would think just a 24 hour period to redo captain skills at 0 cost is fine , is just like refund. They do this before.

[A-D-F]
5,863 posts
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Yes Burnsey, nothing has changed for four years, but this will get everyone to read the webpage....:Smile_facepalm:

It's better than creating no additional benefit to reading it.  If you have a better idea, suggest it to WG.  I have created threads with my ideas and WG has responded in them.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles

@Edgecase, just a suggestion: you might want to amend the title of your thread now that WG actually did what you asked. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,988 posts
16,620 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Edgecase, just a suggestion: you might want to amend the title of your thread now that WG actually did what you asked. 

Buh muh lazy

[-K-]
2,457 posts
10,848 battles
16 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Here's the continuous DPS for an AA build Grozovoi with and without MFAA.  Keep in mind this is damage per second.  To say this extra damage adds up fast is an understatement.   

Groz w/o MFAA With MFAA
Short 219 263
Mid 399 479
Long 200 239

You should have seen my full AA build Minotaur dropping planes last night with this, popping off nearly 2400 damage per tick in her mid-range aura.  The planes melted like butter, it was glorious.

[SBS]
Members
5,146 posts
2,408 battles
17 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

You should have seen my full AA build Minotaur dropping planes last night with this, popping off nearly 2400 damage per tick in her mid-range aura.  The planes melted like butter, it was glorious.

If my calculations are correct, the Wooster's mid range with full AA build, sector, and DFAA has 3165.75 DPS. :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Slimeball91

[-K-]
2,457 posts
10,848 battles
4 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

If my calculations are correct, the Wooster's mid range with full AA build, sector, and DFAA has 3165.75 DPS. :Smile_trollface:

Probably does.  It helps explain why they are "normalizing" AA this next patch, as well as re-working this skill.