Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Ranked for the average player

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,054
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,361 posts
12,135 battles

Well I was in my comfort zone of rank 9 and messed up by playing on the weekend. Being a average player I can usually take care of myself but when in carry situations I crumble with the rest of the building.  I've got a friend who ranks out every season and is about to rank out this season. He asked why I was struggling so much. I told him after rank 10 the average players climb gets very steep. It's weird how he can't perceive really why I struggle so much and it's hard for me to perceive how people breeze through it. I am happy for them. I take the lions share of the blame and point the finger at myself. I guess I can't comprehend with the speed and think the three steps ahead. Usually doing lucky to deal with the step in front of me. Going to the beach for the week, looking forward to the break. Will come back and try to reach my version of "ranking out' at 9. I think there are 15 days left.  Good luck to all!

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,486
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,595 posts
13,007 battles

Ranked for the average player was Sprint in tier 5.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
277
[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
623 posts
25,488 battles

As an average player myself good luck in ranked play. It is always a grind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
927
[WOLFC]
Members
2,245 posts
12,818 battles
14 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Well I was in my comfort zone of rank 9 and messed up by playing on the weekend. Being a average player I can usually take care of myself but when in carry situations I crumble with the rest of the building.  I've got a friend who ranks out every season and is about to rank out this season. He asked why I was struggling so much. I told him after rank 10 the average players climb gets very steep. It's weird how he can't perceive really why I struggle so much and it's hard for me to perceive how people breeze through it. I am happy for them. I take the lions share of the blame and point the finger at myself. I guess I can't comprehend with the speed and think the three steps ahead. Usually doing lucky to deal with the step in front of me. Going to the beach for the week, looking forward to the break. Will come back and try to reach my version of "ranking out' at 9. I think there are 15 days left.  Good luck to all!

I'm happy if I just get the Commemorative Flag ... I'm REALLY happy if I make it to Rank 10 before sliding back and stopping at 12.

But, I did take the weekend off ... not only from Ranked ... but from ALL battles ...

... like Zoup's video on the topic, I'm starting to get burn out from the game ... too many things hitting all at once.  It's just ... tiring.

Good luck on your quest!

Edited by DocWalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[HDR]
Members
1,267 posts
4,431 battles

This season my maximum yet is rank 10. I am spacing out my battles a bit because it is pretty frustrating for me to lose consecutively or slip up.

I think I am performing better now with breaks. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[MIA]
Members
241 posts
12,459 battles
21 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Well I was in my comfort zone of rank 9 and messed up by playing on the weekend. Being a average player I can usually take care of myself but when in carry situations I crumble with the rest of the building.  I've got a friend who ranks out every season and is about to rank out this season. He asked why I was struggling so much. I told him after rank 10 the average players climb gets very steep. It's weird how he can't perceive really why I struggle so much and it's hard for me to perceive how people breeze through it. I am happy for them. I take the lions share of the blame and point the finger at myself. I guess I can't comprehend with the speed and think the three steps ahead. Usually doing lucky to deal with the step in front of me. Going to the beach for the week, looking forward to the break. Will come back and try to reach my version of "ranking out' at 9. I think there are 15 days left.  Good luck to all!

It's not just average players.  With a 6v6, you can have one potato on your team versus none on the other team and that's enough to sway it.  The battle scale being so small really makes every ship/player need to have at least SOME weight being pulled. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,266
[SALVO]
Members
23,434 posts
24,054 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Ranked for the average player was Sprint in tier 5.

I really wish that Sprint had been left at tier 5, or 6 max.  It was really quite a fun change of pace playing Ranked Sprint when it was only tier 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,022 posts
2,890 battles
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Ranked for the average player was Sprint in tier 5.

It was intended for the average player, but that's not how it played out...competitive people like to compete, I guess, even if the rewards at that level didn't excite them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,486
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,595 posts
13,007 battles
4 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

It was intended for the average player, but that's not how it played out...competitive people like to compete, I guess, even if the rewards at that level didn't excite them.

Yeah but they ranked out quickly.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
399
[WOLF5]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,306 posts
10,225 battles

 Problem gets is if you are being careful, the other 5 players can crumble and you looking at a loss.  Now being careful and plan moves you get behind in the experience points and you are not doing constant damage, you won't save your star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,527
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,606 posts
5,112 battles

Average players don't save stars often.  Very good players do with regularity.   So slogging along with 50% w/l in ranked after R10 a pretty hard climb.  I get to this same 7-10 most seasons ... I notice in 14-10 I'll save stars with some regularity.  After that it's a rarity for me.  I'll give up because I realize the grind and just don't have the patience for it.   I'd guess it will get easier towards the end(I'm never there) as more skilled players start ranking out.    I know a lot of players don't like the format but it seems, IMO, to work pretty well in determining ability.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,877
[OO7]
Members
6,046 posts
13,083 battles

Hit up people's streams who are doing ranked and rank out in decent fashion. Get them to explain their thought process, why they do things and what they think will happen. 

Oni the wicked is streaming ranked right now. He finished last season with one of the lowest battle counts on the server

https://m.twitch.tv/onithewicked

I'll be streaming ranked later tonight. I'm nowhere close to the best, but I typically rank out in the top 150 players. I'll let you know what I'm doing and why I do certain things. 

https://twitch.tv/ducky_shot_

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,379 posts
13,601 battles

What exactly is being ranked anyhow?  Seems like a poor choice for this battle type. 
We should have a contest to rename it something more appropriate. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,423
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,987 posts
16,594 battles

People who are really good at something tend to suffer from " expert blind spot" , and not really understand how they do things, why other people can't do them, or how to explain them to others to help them improve. It applies to a pretty wide variety of topics -- try explaining to someone "how to walk", and you'll find it's surprisingly hard to put it into words.

IMO the best way to approach Ranked is to use it as an opportunity to get better. Watch what people do who carry, but also people who throw. Take a second after the match to get your thoughts together about what choices they made to turn the match for/against them. Then try to incorporate that into the way you play. Hit up the people in the community who are known for offering personalized help and feedback, like @Destroyer_KuroshioKai and @Lord_Zath for second opinions, and to make sure you're drawing the right connections between choices and outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,739
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,519 posts
41 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

What exactly is being ranked anyhow?  Seems like a poor choice for this battle type. 
We should have a contest to rename it something more appropriate. 
 

'Most Extreme Elimination Challenge' is taken....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279
[-TKS-]
Members
788 posts
12,442 battles
1 hour ago, Lexington_MuseumO7 said:

Hit up people's streams who are doing ranked and rank out in decent fashion. Get them to explain their thought process, why they do things and what they think will happen. 

Oni the wicked is streaming ranked right now. He finished last season with one of the lowest battle counts on the server

https://m.twitch.tv/onithewicked

I'll be streaming ranked later tonight. I'm nowhere close to the best, but I typically rank out in the top 150 players. I'll let you know what I'm doing and why I do certain things. 

https://twitch.tv/ducky_shot_

this is the right idea plus at the very least look to stream snipe  the many streamers during your ranked play.  

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,877
[OO7]
Members
6,046 posts
13,083 battles
6 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

this is the right idea plus at the very least look to stream snipe  the many streamers during your ranked play.  

Yep, look for the ones that stream with no delay and don't cover their mininmap and still rank out easily to find the really good players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,054
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,361 posts
12,135 battles

Okay tossing this one out for someone to snap up. What are the most common winning ships in regular ranked? In each class.

BB?

CA?

CL?

DD?

This I do believe is a factor. Not all of it, but a factor.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,054
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,361 posts
12,135 battles
3 hours ago, PrivateJoker13 said:

It's not just average players.  With a 6v6, you can have one potato on your team versus none on the other team and that's enough to sway it.  The battle scale being so small really makes every ship/player need to have at least SOME weight being pulled. 

When your side loses a ship. On paper.  It's roughly 20% of you chance of winning drops off? 

In reality, for a 50%'er it's like 40%'ish your chances dropped. If you lose two it's time to start thinking save a star?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279
[-TKS-]
Members
788 posts
12,442 battles
10 minutes ago, Lexington_MuseumO7 said:

Yep, look for the ones that stream with no delay and don't cover their mininmap and still rank out easily to find the really good players. 

even those who stream with delay and map covered (notser) you can learn the deployment and other things . i wouldn't recommend going out of your way in killing the streamer as they may leave the game or it can backfire  (generaldort comes to mind as wrecking stream snipers) . Also works if your on there team they talk through there plays so you have some idea what someone on your team is doing, so you can support or be supported by them . 

was a little easier last season this DD meta makes the games too quick.  regardless youll learn form the unicum+'s but even the potato streamer will give you info

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,054
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,361 posts
12,135 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

What exactly is being ranked anyhow?  Seems like a poor choice for this battle type. 
We should have a contest to rename it something more appropriate. 
 

Solo KoTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
312 posts
11,994 battles
4 hours ago, Lexington_MuseumO7 said:

Aha!

As to the topic at hand. I'm seriously considering just waiting a week for all the unicums and almost-unicums to hurry up and rank out. Then I can take my place at the head of the potato masses. Woooo!

(But seriously, R11-14 wasn't much harder than co-op...R6-10 was somewhat organized random...R2-5 currently I'm happy to just stay where I am usually.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44
[SHEEP]
Members
216 posts
4,319 battles

Just pray that the enemy has more potatoes or you have more unicums. I’ve personally never worked up the motivation to grind past 9 even if I had a 60% wr up to that point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,054
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,361 posts
12,135 battles

Nothing wrong with being average mind you. Makes the scientific process a lot simpler. When ships turn broadside just go...

3r0zk1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,211 posts
12,755 battles
6 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Okay tossing this one out for someone to snap up. What are the most common winning ships in regular ranked? In each class.

BB?

CA?

CL?

DD?

This I do believe is a factor. Not all of it, but a factor.

Your best bet is to play what you are most comfortable in, or what you have the highest win rate in.  Going to what ever seems OP at the moment can be a mistake.  For example, I hate playing Kitakaze.  I hate how sluggish it is, and as a result I play something more comfortable for me.

Shoot me a replay.  Let me see whats going on for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×