Update 0.8.7: French Destroyers – Part 2

87 comments in this topic

WG Staff
831 posts
723 battles

WG_WOWS_SPB_Full_Update_087_Preview_720x192px.jpg

Update 0.8.7.0 - French Destroyers Event: Part 2
Too Long? Didn't Read?
The TL:DR series aims to give you all the info you need in a fraction of the time!

When?

Update 0.8.7.0 will be released on August 21st. 

Content Updates

French Destroyers:

Spoiler
  • The Tier II - VIII (2-8) FR DDs will become available to all players in the tech tree.
  • Tier IX and X will arrive in update 0.8.8.0

Directives:

Spoiler
  • New season of directives will run: 08/22/2019 11:00 UTC - 09/13/2019 09:00 UTC
  • 4 directive with 11 missions each
  • Each mission completed will reward you with a selection of: 
    • signals
    • expendable camouflage patterns
    • Legion of Honor containers, or
    • French Tokens

French Tokens:

Spoiler
  • New resource available with 0.8.7.0
  • Will expire on the release of 0.8.9.0 and be converted to credits
  • Used in a new section of the armory: "Legion of Honor"
    • Major reward within this section is the new Legendary FR commander: Philippe Auboyneau
  • French tokens are available from Directive and Premium Legion of Honor containers

Research Bureau:

Spoiler
  • A system in which you can reset fully researched ship lines, with the purpose of re-playing and re-researching them to gain Research Points to gain additional rewards such as ships, free exp, and signals.
  • Many late game players have progressed through all or majority of the available ship lines, this systems gives an established player reason to re-engage with lower tier content of their favorite lines while earning rewards.
  • Dedicated TL:DR.

Ranked Sprint:

Spoiler
  • Seventh Ranked Sprint Season will run: 09/05/2019, 16:00 UTC - 09/14/2019, 10:00 UTC
  • Tier 6
  • 7v7 Format
  • 1 CV per team
  • 2 man division allowed
  • 10 ranks in total.

Armory Updates:

Spoiler
  • Smolensk will be released for 244,000 Coal
  • Somers will be released for 25,000 Steel
  • Various patches will be made available for Coal and Doubloons

Mechanics Updates

Matchmaker changes:

Spoiler
  • Strict limit on the tiers spread of battles per player.
  • From 20 games, only 8 of them will see a player being bottom tier.
  • A player must play 20 games for this change to be put into effect.
  • After the calibration period and first 20 battles have been played, the Matchmaker will take into account the last 20 battles in determining tiers for future games.
  • The advantage of this is that it will prevent long consecutive runs of being" bottom tier "for a player.

Autopilot:

Spoiler
  • Autopilot will not take into consideration ship speed maneuverability and dimension in course consideration.
  • Autopilot will now work to "unstick" a ship if it gets caught on a island or beaches.
  • Autopilot is now mapped on both the Tactical Map and Mini Map.

AA Defense Changes:

Spoiler
  • AA ranges now overlap and compliment each other.
  • Since there will now be overlap the base damage of AA will be reduced slightly.
  • Flak clouds will begin at the full range of Long Range AA, and will cease at 3.5 from the ship.
  • Since AA will be more deadly, planes will become "safe" at a lower distance that in 0.8.6 when returning after attacking.
  • This height remains the same for planes returning after the player hits "F"
  • Changes were made to numbers of planes per squadron for various CVs for better balance. 

Priority Sector Changes:

Spoiler
  • Changed to tied closer to player skill and actions.
  • Moved away from "Set and Forget" system
  • The priority sector has been reworked to be more useful.
  • Involves a 4 stage system:
    • Activation: AA defenses will cause instantaneous damage to enemy squadrons within the ship's AA defenses action zone, expressed as a percentage of their current HP.
    • Build Up: Ship's continuous AA damage within the selected sector gradually increases, during which the efficiency of the opposite sector's AA fire reduces.
    • Full Power: Having reached maximum efficiency, the reinforced AA sector deals damage to its full extent for a limited period of time.
    • Deactivation: AA returns to normal and cooldown period begins.
  • To activate the sector, look in the direction you want it to be enabled for, and hit "O" or "~"

Chat preferences options:

Spoiler
  • We've improved the arrangement of the battle UI elements and added new functions.
  • Players will be able to block tactical commands and text messages from specific players.
  • Players will be able to enable or disable battle chat via the Game Settings menu.

Other notable updates/fixes:

Spoiler
  • Blyskawica will be reassigned to the "Europe" line which will encompass ships from various European nations.
    • The Polish captain will remain on the ship, but will also be able to move to other EU ships in the future.
  • Bug regarding the Q/E and A/D keys will be fixed
  • Fixed an error which caused a large number of identical notifications about the selected prime time for Clan Battles.

Not enough detail?

Check out the full article here

[OGF]
Members
747 posts
26,995 battles

Fair's fair; let me sell all my patches back to you at 150 Doubloons each.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4

[KWF]
Members
3,736 posts
5,388 battles

Yeah I can foresee for the first week of the patch or so tier VIII-X to be a mess with the Smolensk out. Judging by people's reactions quite a few are expecting the ship.

Edited by warheart1992

[TNG-2]
Members
271 posts
16,955 battles

Please stop adding steel ships faster then steel is earnable! No way there was 25k available since addition of the neustrashemy... not to mention the price inflation AND simultanous reduction of steel prices for CB...

• Cool 3

Members
207 posts
1,139 battles

Yay another (edited) mechanic that deals more damage to planes but not increasing the damage that the CV deals, now we have a 100% illogical situation

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
48 minutes ago, TheURLGuy said:

Many late game players have progressed through all or majority of the available ship lines, this systems gives an established player reason to re-engage with lower tier content of their favorite lines while earning rewards.

nonsense, it gives us, on the contrary every incentive to skip them with free xp, to get to the higher tiers, where the missions for RB tokens are most rewarding. If your TLDRs deliberately misrepresent your own product like this, what is the point of them? All they do is add more confusion, and fuel, to misconceptions.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
3,736 posts
5,388 battles
7 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

nonsense, it gives us, on the contrary every incentive to skip them with free xp, to get to the higher tiers, where the missions for RB tokens are most rewarding. If your TLDRs deliberately misrepresent your own product like this, what is the point of them? All they do is add more confusion, and fuel, to misconceptions.

Don't bother with it, it's just the company line. Can't really fault the messenger for that one.

"We want you to splash Free XP  on everything and spend money doing so in order to get a broken ship asap" doesn't sound as inviting besides.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Don't bother with it, it's just the company line. Can't really fault the messenger for that one.

"We want you to splash Free XP  on everything and spend money doing so in order to get a broken ship asap" doesn't sound as inviting besides.

the 'you" is collective in this case.

besides, pointing out the blatant contradictions in the "company" blurb, can't help myself. Sort of a nervous tick/ hick!

• Funny 1

[MASS]
Members
33 posts
5,174 battles

More temp tokens and grinding this is getting ridiculous. If you don't have the time to play 24 hours a day what good are they?

• Cool 2

[TDRB]
Members
3,530 posts
10,833 battles

I was hoping to see another operation return with this patch. I miss Dynamo, Cherry Blossom and the others.

I also hope the major changes in the CV rework are completed and satisfactory to reasonable expectations. I'm sure the CV rework has been trying for the developers as well as the players

The MM change looks interesting, judgment will come after a few weeks.

We are still missing a way to keep the turrets locked in zero (along the center line of most ships) position until ready to engage. On some ships you loose half your fire power for a minute or so. That's 2 salvos from an enemy BB all because the game mechanics deny you this simply control.

Improvements to the port are always welcomed.

• Cool 5

[USCC2]
Beta Testers
1,356 posts
12,014 battles

So they bent the CV players over and shoved it to them hard once again.  If I still played CVs I'd be pissed big time.  When will WG ever learn to stop messing over one class to make another class happy?  Whatever happened to their party line of "Balanced Game Play"?  CVs are getting the short end of the stick once again.

As for the Research Bureau, this is nothing more than another WG Money Grab.  If I want to play my Lower Tier ships again, then I just click on them and hit battle.  No need to sell them off and go through the grind fest again and spend more money on something I already have.  Oh that's right you're trying to lure us in by dangling a ship in front of as a prize.  Nice try but NO!

And as for the ARMORY, I am done with that also, to little steel and coal earned, prices are to high, selection is to low.  Casual players can't afford this stuff, this is geared toward those playing clan wars and/or have no life and play 24/7 in their mom's basement.  And  from what I seen the poor guys in clan wars don't earn as much steel as they should.

This game is becoming more and more like WOT and after playing that for 6 years I have stopped and have not touched it in over a year, looks like I'm about to do the same with War Ships.

• Cool 10
  • Boring 4

[SOTHS]
Members
7 posts
3,631 battles
26 minutes ago, Kcanine9 said:

CVs suck. Thanks WG

CVs don't suck.   There are poor CV players, but a good CV captain is scary good.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BUOY]
Members
567 posts
11,295 battles
53 minutes ago, RighteousFury42 said:

Please stop adding steel ships faster then steel is earnable! No way there was 25k available since addition of the neustrashemy... not to mention the price inflation AND simultanous reduction of steel prices for CB...

25k steel is a 'fair' price for a T10 DD considering Stalingrad is 28k and Bourgogne is 30k.

• Funny 1

[WGA]
Administrator
2,249 posts
14,707 battles
47 minutes ago, RighteousFury42 said:

While players may not have enough steel to get the next ship, we will like to provide options for players. Some players may have a stash of Steel available but not be interested in, say, the Cruiser offerings for example. They may be waiting for the next ship which is more appealing to them. This is why we like to provide an ample number of ships available for a range of currencies so that players have something appealing to them whatever their ship or playstyle is. 

• Cool 6
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,557 battles
12 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

While players may not have enough steel to get the next ship, we will like to provide options for players. Some players may have a stash of Steel available but not be interested in, say, the Cruiser offerings for example. They may be waiting for the next ship which is more appealing to them. This is why we like to provide an ample number of ships available for a range of currencies so that players have something appealing to them whatever their ship or playstyle is.

This is an okay idea in theory, but in practice, it now means players have to be selective about steel rewards. That in turn means there's going to be a bunch of wasted developer resources poured in to steel ships that are viewed as suboptimal. Neustrashimy, for example, will probably never get bought, because even people who can afford it will likely choose to wait for a good/meta-defining/OP ship instead. And that sets up a potential slippery slope that worries me, which is that WG is now incentivized to make successive steel ships more and more powerful so they get bought and avoid wasting dev time.

• Cool 5

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,364 posts
1 hour ago, taberuco said:

Yay another (edited) mechanic that deals more damage to planes but not increasing the damage that the CV deals, now we have a 100% illogical situation

:Smile_great:If they make it where CV's Do More Damage They Also Have To Make It Where CV'S Take More Damage Fair Is FairCV's are the One Almost Unsinkable Class in the game!  Fire damage was nerfed and mitigated on CV's  so was Flooding damage.   So if you want CV'S  to do more they have to take more All in the name of Balance:cap_horn::cap_cool:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Members
207 posts
1,139 battles

You dont have to destroy the carrier to take it out of combat, you know?

So how about give the CVs the ability to destroy (not incapacitate) the main armament? Or give them a magic field that damages the main armament over time? That sounds fair and balanced:cap_cool:

Edited by taberuco
  • Boring 1

[FROGS]
[FROGS]
Members
23 posts
20,298 battles
55 minutes ago, CptJim said:

CVs don't suck.   There are poor CV players, but a good CV captain is scary good.

What is the incentive to get good at playing a CV? The skill gap remains and the time spent to get good is filled with nerfs from WG and salt from other players.

• Cool 4

[DPG]
Supertester
553 posts
13,470 battles

So much very very great content recently WG - Thank you for that!

Research Bureau for ships is just a bad idea as implemented for the game creating massive resentment from the majority of the community - and the fact that you put Colbert here, A ship that is toxic bad for game play - and sound set to put Ohio, a name that many will want in port - You are creating outright anger towards the company at a level I have not seen in my over 3 year playing. It is taking a lot of effort to keep clan mates focused on what you are doing right when you are overloading the community so toxically- the missions for benham made a fantastic game battle mode a dread by the end - Simultaneous full clan and ranked battles - french flakes, french events ---WHY ?!?!?!? Less is more - More is downright harmful! W=Quality - NOT quantity !! Make more permanent battle modes - you can cross server one or two battle modes similar to what you do with clan battles ! Where is arms race- it was brilliant fun !

Research bureau should be 100% for cosmetics - Unique skins and cammo - skins could be for different time period perma cammo - or even sister ships of the same line - black perma cammo like the "b" ships from last year - Stunning! The anime popularity have proved many love the gaudy overly bright camo - Add stuff like this to research bureau - not an effective unattainable pay wall for the vast majority of the community. To be clear, I am one of the few who could actually use the bureau and progress quickly - but this is bad for the game as introduced WG - Horrible for the game.

And make research bureau challenging missions! not resetting 5-6 lines to earn a ship ! This is the grind that burns people out !!
The missions could be purchased with freexp and or credits to unlock in the bureau - then they would be "play x number of battles in tier whatever ships ... from relatively quick and easy missions for say cammos and or flags to complex expensive multi leg missions of even different tier ships to complete ... so say 750,000 freexp to unlock a mission for Ohio if you are truly stuck on giving ships through bureau - This would unlock a mission for say "win 25 battles in T5, T6, T7, T8 ships ... - you address the community problem with pay to win buying freexp alone to unlock a ship with no actual game play at lower tiers required to a solid amount of freexp being spent and a significant amount of extra ships being played at whatever tier you feel needs more participation - you remove the dreaded "grind" and resentment from collectors having to sell entire lines, AND you do not have to exclude so many removing the requirement of 5 x T10 ships to participate ... i understand if you want folks to have at least 1 x T`10 to unlock end game content, but 5 for most mortals playing this game is years and they will hate you for this current Research bureau.

Colbert, Coming Slava long range sniper - even smolensk - these are bad ships for the game. Recent changes like improved secondaries on many ships- more accurate at close range Russian BB's - the boost for the new french commander for taking objectives - Some of the very small changes to XP away from Damage focused - these are a great direction - you nee more of this ! help entice the less experienced into good play habits - Lose the ranked save a star that promotes selfish long range play in favor of 2 more irrevocable places ,,,

You have done so much well recently, and in coming changes to he pen, IFHE changes, cruiser armor - This stuff all rocks... but when you make a mistake in development - you really make them big - Fix Research bureau now !

Karandar, NA

• Cool 6

[FROGS]
[FROGS]
Members
23 posts
20,298 battles

Why keep punishing players who want to play CV's? WG reworked and encouraged players to play, then has been steadily weakening CV's and buffing AA. Stopped playing CV's daily, only play during Naval Battle due to being the only player in my clan with all the X CV's. Have watched my damage cut in half, my win rate that was +60% go under 50% and the increase in salty behavior from other players increase. Strongly considering stopping playing CV's all together.

• Cool 5

[DPG]
Supertester
553 posts
13,470 battles
1 hour ago, CptJim said:

and there are mad strengths and weaknesses in CV's ...  and OP mechanics like AP bombs that can do 20k non repairable drops to ships like Bismark/Hindenburg with little counter - AP bombs are the most broken of the CV damage - the damage alone is insane- it needs a solid amount of that to be changed to be repairable to actually make some ships playable again ... a well played Bismark/Tirpitz will near never be citadeled - but near every drop from a veteran CV captain can cit her with each drop ... there remains so much to be fixed with cv's yet - Some of the CV's actually need some buffing - i know - i will get flamed for that , but if we are honest, that is the truth ... 

Kar

[-NOS-]
Members
23 posts
8,526 battles

With the name change to the smoke generator for Haida, Perth and HuangHe the smoke generator module will still work for those ships, right?

• Cool 1