You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MikeOxmauI

RPF doesn’t work

20 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts

Hello. 

So it is my understanding the RPF is supposed to  show you the direction of the closest enemy ship. I just finished playing a match on Trident and I spawned on the Far East. When the match started, RPF pointed directly to the 5-6 line in the North. Shouldn’t RPF be picking up ships directly ahead of me right when the match started, as the enemy spawned pretty much mirror to my team? Why is RPF not working the way it is advertised?

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,765 posts
10,628 battles
1 minute ago, MikeOxmauI said:

Hello. 

So it is my understanding the RPF is supposed to  show you the direction of the closest enemy ship. I just finished playing a match on Trident and I spawned on the Far East. When the match started, RPF pointed directly to the 5-6 line in the North. Shouldn’t RPF be picking up ships directly ahead of me right when the match started, as the enemy spawned pretty much mirror to my team? Why is RPF not working the way it is advertised?

You don't know exactly where they are. Those flanking ships can spawn a LONG way back.

[ALL41]
Members
497 posts
10,899 battles

I use RPF on all my dd's and dd-hunting cruisers.   Haven't noticed any issues with using RPF lately. 

[NGAGE]
Members
174 posts
8,555 battles
6 minutes ago, MikeOxmauI said:

Hello. 

Every single clan battle we loaded into yesterday, RPF pointed directly in-front of us -- Clearly a bug!

[DENY]
Members
8,941 posts
9,951 battles

The only problem with RPF is most players don't know how to use it properly, and most of the ones not using it have no idea how to use it against the one who has it. RPF itself works just fine.

• Funny 1

[-OPS-]
[-OPS-]
Members
93 posts

RPF is always points 11-14 on all my DDs.  ...it seems to be working fine for me...it also tells me where the reds are NOT..

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,988 posts
16,606 battles

If their mid spawn had a destroyer and the one across from you did not, it's entirely possible the closest ship was mid.

[RLGN]
Members
12,303 posts
22,049 battles
49 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

The only problem with RPF is most players don't know how to use it properly, and most of the ones not using it have no idea how to use it against the one who has it. RPF itself works just fine.

Like having it suddenly swing over towards  the carrier sitting behind you, when you’re fighting cruisers and battleships to your front...

chat: DD IN THE GAP, (ping)

Smart carrier, was paying attention and started moving, pulled the destroyer right to my cruiser.

[VW]
Members
3,371 posts
16,709 battles

The damn thing always points in the same spot and never moves regardless of how you do. I can imagine on meown the dd is in front and to the right of me.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,920 posts
7,584 battles

I think some are confusing RPF with being located by RPF. 

Ships running RPF have a semi-circle pointing to the closest ship. 

If you're the closest ship to an enemy running RPF, you'll see a "located" icon with an arrow. That arrow does NOT point to the ship that is RPF-ing you. That would be like free RPF.  The arrow always points the same direction and is just and indicator that you are the closest ship to the enemy running it. 

• Boring 1

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,211 posts
12,766 battles
1 hour ago, MikeOxmauI said:

Hello. 

Please upload the replay file.  I'll take a look.

Members
89 posts
3,443 battles

RPF's overrated.  ppl like Flamu & several others make it work to their advantage, but my guess is they could make it work without it

• Confused 1

[HDR]
Beta Testers
305 posts
6,212 battles
5 minutes ago, Y_v said:

RPF's overrated.  ppl like Flamu & several others make it work to their advantage, but my guess is they could make it work without it

They are good but I dont think that they can make RPF work withoout er , RPF :P

Members
89 posts
3,443 battles
2 minutes ago, berree said:

They are good but I dont think that they can make RPF work withoout er , RPF :P

hahaha.  i meant 'still play well'

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,135 posts
4,648 battles

Numerous times in this patch I've had RL jump around when there's only a single ship left on the enemy team.  Not fond of it acting a fool like that.  At 18k w/ one ship left, it shouldn't have such large jumps/ticks.

[STURM]
Members
56 posts
9,420 battles
28 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

Numerous times in this patch I've had RL jump around when there's only a single ship left on the enemy team.  Not fond of it acting a fool like that.  At 18k w/ one ship left, it shouldn't have such large jumps/ticks.

RPF can only point in ~8 directions.  Even at a great distance the jumps will appear large because RPF points at the center of a given "zone" and they just entered a new one-- this means RPF just swung from behind them to in front of them.  It's exaggerated because of the coarse reading it gives you but as long as you understand how it works you can extrapolate some extra info out of it.

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,135 posts
4,648 battles
2 hours ago, Sturmgrunder said:

RPF can only point in ~8 directions.  Even at a great distance the jumps will appear large because RPF points at the center of a given "zone" and they just entered a new one-- this means RPF just swung from behind them to in front of them.  It's exaggerated because of the coarse reading it gives you but as long as you understand how it works you can extrapolate some extra info out of it.

Since it's been removed from CVs, it seems its operation has gotten rather wonky.  Like the autopilot that runs ships into islands now -- I've chalked it up to one of their "misc improvements" as they so frequently refer to 75% of changes not in the notes.