You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Just How Many Torps can a Bentham Spew?

37 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,075 posts

There was one DD in smoke ahead of me, the other was capping far away. However, torp spread after torp spread was launched at me. I tanked some, dodged most of the others. and finally took one that did me in. The ship was a Bentham. I am unfamiliar with this ship. Just how many torps can it spew out?

Here is the time iline 

Torps encountered

5:15 -- 2x spread  (these may have been from the Fletcher but it was 14.5 km away)

4:22 -- 2x spread

3:39 -- 2x spread

3:09 -- 2x spread

2:33 -- 2x spread

https://replayswows.com/replay/60598#stats

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,979 posts
12,987 battles

I believe it's reload is roughly 1:10, so if spinning around, roughly 2 sets every 35 seconds. 

[OO7]
Members
5,979 posts
12,987 battles

Yeah it's 85 seconds stock with 4x4 torps, so it can have the torp reload module and Tae skill and bring that down considerably. (too lazy to see how much) 

But those torp spreads seem to be in those parameters. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,075 posts
2 minutes ago, Lexington_MuseumO7 said:

I believe it's reload is roughly 1:10, so if spinning around, roughly 2 sets every 35 seconds. 

It sure was a lot of torps!

Members
475 posts
72 battles

He can pretty much sail in a figure 8 in front of you and every time any broadside is towards you he can fire 2 sets of 4 torps at 10.5km. 

So just say your praires, turn around and head for the border.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,428 posts
16,245 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Just how many torps can it spew out?

Two sets of four on each side, with an 85s base reload IIRC.

So, a lot.

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Members
5,979 posts
12,987 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Yeah, hard to push against them in a BB. Even mitigating and dodging, if you eat 1 per double Salvo, it adds up in a hurry. 

One of the reasons I love the Mahan is its 3 sets of torps that reload about that fast. If a cruisers decides to charge my smoke from right around torpedo range, I usually have my torps back up before it gets to me, so if I miss the first set, I can just charge out with my torps ready to obliterate him

[WOLF5]
Members
3,004 posts
3,304 battles
53 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Yeah, I got burned the other day by one. Dodged one 2x set, thought that was it, but he turned and dumped the next set, I decided it was time to push and ate them all. I then went and looked up how many he has:Smile_teethhappy:

[RELAX]
Members
1,148 posts
8,654 battles

65 second reload with mods and skill added. 16 torps in total if using both sides at 10.5 km. If its able to shoot torps at every reload for 20 minutes it will put 320 torps in the water in a 20 minute match.

PYVxAi7.jpg?1

Edited by Chain_shot

[WOLFC]
Members
1,473 posts
7,994 battles

To paraphrase a relatively known phrase from a 90's romcom

Maybe there won't be red destroyed ribbons,

maybe there won't be torpedo  hits ,

but, by God, there'll be dancing.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
773 posts
9,320 battles

It has 16 tubes, 8 of which can fire off each broadside.  Also a 65 second reload.  So you can fire your starboard racks, turn, fire your port racks, and by the time you've turned back, your starboard racks are reloaded.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

It has some compensating weaknesses, though:

• 5.9 km detection.  Not horrible, but you will probably be spotted first by any non-French or non-Russian DDs.
  • Low HP pool.
  • Only 4 guns.  They are okay, and you can hold your own for a few seconds.  But, combined with the aforementioned low HP pool, you will lose any prolonged gun battles.

Of course, if it is late in the match and you are only facing non-Missouri BBs, they are going to be hating life for the next few minutes.

Edited by zubalkabir

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,387 posts
12,931 battles

I wish more people would ask what is going on as @Snargfargle did instead of claiming hax as they usually do. Plus one for a well asked question.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,612 posts
23,872 battles

Yep, it's 65 seconds reload if you max out for torpedos.

pkojCFp.jpg

I usually launche one side, turn the boat, launch the next and after the following turn they have nearly finished reloading.

[TOG]
Members
55 posts
7,020 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

To paraphrase a relatively known phrase from a 90's romcom

Maybe there won't be red destroyed ribbons,

maybe there won't be torpedo  hits ,

but, by God, there'll be dancing.

I like it.  As someone once said in chat near the end of a game 'When the question is 'does that Benham have torps ready?' the answer is always YES'

• Funny 1

Members
2,029 posts
3,613 battles
1 hour ago, zubalkabir said:

It has 16 tubes, 8 of which can fire off each broadside.  Also a 65 second reload.  So you can fire your starboard racks, turn, fire your port racks, and by the time you've turned back, your starboard racks are reloaded.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

It has some compensating weaknesses, though:

• 5.9 km detection.  Not horrible, but you will probably be spotted first by any non-French or non-Russian DDs.
  • Low HP pool.
  • Only 4 guns.  They are okay, and you can hold your own for a few seconds.  But, combined with the aforementioned low HP pool, you will lose any prolonged gun battles.

Of course, if it is late in the match and you are only facing non-Missouri BBs, they are going to be hating life for the next few minutes.

The other thing is that the torpedoes are not individually particularly powerful. I hit an FdG yesterday night with six of an eight-torpedo spread from my starboard launchers and I still had to come around and finish him off with the racks on the port side. When facing Benhams in a BB, I think you just don't panic at the shear volume of the torpedoes and go bow or stern on like you ordinarily do and come away with greatly minimized damage.

• Cool 2

Members
585 posts
2,773 battles
2 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

65 second reload with mods and skill added. 16 torps in total if using both sides at 10.5 km. If its able to shoot torps at every reload for 20 minutes it will put 320 torps in the water in a 20 minute match.

PYVxAi7.jpg?1

That is 614 tons of torpedoes. Mk15 weights 1742kg. 

On a ship with 1,656 tons standard displacement, and 2,250 full load. 

And people say that subs are going to break the game. 

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,634 posts
9,731 battles
8 minutes ago, meat2 said:

Benham's fun but it's not exactly game-breaking.  @zubalkabir has a good handle on the weaknesses of the ship.  The torpedo range is good but not great, which means you're going to be operating at the edge of the danger zone most of the time.  You're going to be losing a lot of trades with enemy DDs every time you get spotted.

It seems to be in the middle of the pack as far as most stats are concerned right now.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
773 posts
9,320 battles
12 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

The other thing is that the torpedoes are not individually particularly powerful. I hit an FdG yesterday night with six of an eight-torpedo spread from my starboard launchers and I still had to come around and finish him off with the racks on the port side. When facing Benhams in a BB, I think you just don't panic at the shear volume of the torpedoes and go bow or stern on like you ordinarily do and come away with greatly minimized damage.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.  It doesn't seem as bad as when I'm driving my Z-52.  Probably because of the sheer volume of torpedoes you can put out.  I was playing Benham in ranked the other night and I hit an Alsace with 5 torps early in the match.  Later on when most of our teams were dead and he'd had a chance to repair, the same Alsace chased me through smoke with speed boost on, ate 3 more torps, and still survived.

Members
585 posts
2,773 battles
4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Benham's fun but it's not exactly game-breaking. 

It can dump 20x the amount of torps it had irl. 

Gato class sub had 9knots submerged speed, how about it gets 180 :cap_haloween:

Where is my underwater jet :Smile_trollface:

Edited by meat2

[R-F]
Members
1,634 posts
9,731 battles
4 minutes ago, meat2 said:

It can dump 20x the amount of torps it had irl. 

Gato class sub had 9knots submerged speed, how about it gets 180 

Yes, it has an unrealistic capacity to reload torpedoes, as does every other destroyer, half the cruisers, and even a couple battleships.  Definitely not historically accurate.  But what does that have to do with whether it breaks the game or not?

[CVA16]
Members
4,197 posts
13,162 battles
9 minutes ago, meat2 said:

Subs won't "break the game" by the volume of torps, just the ability to avoid being seen while closing to point blank range to deliver those torps and the inability to do damage to that sub even if it is spotted as long as it is submerged. The Benham may be a bit OP in the torp spewing department but it can be spotted normally and if it is seen it can be sunk by standard weapons every ship has without having to sail directly over it. It is outgunned by everything it faces.

WG hasn't yet indicated how ships will fight against subs.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,768 posts
20,689 battles
2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Yep, it's 65 seconds reload if you max out for torpedos.

pkojCFp.jpg

I usually launche one side, turn the boat, launch the next and after the following turn they have nearly finished reloading.

The speed of the reload is very scary.  You drop your torpedoes, just sail around in a pattern for a bit, and you ---"OH LOOK MY TORPS ARE READY AGAIN!1!!!"

:Smile_teethhappy:

[USCC]
Members
2,751 posts
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The speed of the reload is very scary.  You drop your torpedoes, just sail around in a pattern for a bit, and you ---"OH LOOK MY TORPS ARE READY AGAIN!1!!!"

LOL Inno, isn't it awesome!