Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thebigblue

Yoshino after half dozen games... pretty darn good

15 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
2,865 posts

A quick unpolished bus stop  impression of Yoshino.

I had the coal. It was late and I was board. This game has felt like a quagmire for a few months and seems set to go off the rails with introduction of subs and RB reward ships. Not knowing how much more time I'd be willing to sink into this hobby I took a gander at my resources. Holy cow there was a lot piled up! I looked thru the armory and saw a ton of irrelevant coal ships, a couple steel ships I want (still locked behind time-walls) and then I saw "super zao".

I played 5-6 random games in it and found it to be very comfortable. If you can Zao and Roon *effectively* then you can Yosh. I put an 11pt in her spec'd for concealment and fire, a fire flag, a det flag, a captain xp and free xp flag and did the appropriate modules including reload and accuracy. Nothing groundbreaking. Turns out it's a very flexible ship.

First game I was too conservative (16km+) but wanted to get familiar with agility and trajectory. Still got an easy 50k for mid lower pack win.

Second game I tried a few torps and got within 15km. Had a torp hit a kurf for 13k and set 3 fires in 2 salvos. Nailed a broadside buffalo with AP for 25k. Schwacked a Fletcher for 9k with HE. Lit up an Iowa with 3-4 salvos for multiple fires and huge damage.

Third or fourth game had a mid range duel with a Hindi. I punished him when closer and he put a hurtin on me when I turned to kite. Kiting exchange was fairly even but right as I started to get a few fires started a BB deleted him. 

Last game I was also chased from 10-12km by a very determined DesMoines. He ate a torp while coming around a corner and held the grudge. Having only 1 rear turret is a handicap because getting front turrets in action seems to require a little more twist than you armor is willing to allow. I know its US AP but still, the dpm and pen of a DM makes it very formidable for Yosh at mid range. 

My take away from those few games is that the ship is quite survivable if you mind your angles and the minimap. It has more HP and more range than zao. It feels pretty agile and while those big guns fire a bit slower they are still fast enough and will really hit hard if using correct ammo.  It was quite easy to get 100000 plus damage those last 4 games. I'm less certain how much of an impact this ship will have is played in only from long range and only with high explosive. I am certain that an intelligent player who exercises caution in the beginning and but deliberately draws closer and  becomes more aggressive as the enemy team is killed off will have a very significant contribution to make . It just has so many very good weapons at its disposal.

I'd buy it again and that's more than I can say for a lot of ships. 

I would have bought it earlier but I got the Georgia with a coupon for ranked and,  while she is a fine ship, I find myself making a bigger overall impact when I drive my Roon.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
607 posts
3,982 battles
15 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I am certain that an intelligent player who exercises caution in the beginning and but deliberately draws closer and  becomes more aggressive as the enemy team is killed off will have a very significant contribution to make .

It's basically it. But the problem is that you are kinda in the passenger seat for the first half of the game since you cannot really do play or push yourself. Sure you will stack damage, but like the Conqueror you will have a low impact on the first half and can only hope for you team to carry you at first. Then sure you can play more cocky, but I find the Yoshino to be even more squishier than my Zao (yes, she have more HP, but the armor layout make her a citadel pinata while the Zao is more trollish).

All in all, it is still my favorite trier 10 ship with my Shima for now.

[SIDE]
Members
2,865 posts
4 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

i find it easy to do damage but hard to get kills in this ship. 

Agree but I only have 5 matches or so with her so far. I think you want to use you range and fire chance to get folks using DC early so the dd torps hurt more. Then you want to keep people burning while looking for sideways ships to hit with AP. You also want to sort of move with the fleet while avoiding mountains and corridors thereby maintaining good lines of fire. If you get focused go dark, angle and run. Mid game trail a BB and opportunistically torp targets. Use AP on broadsides obviously. It feels a lot like a zao that's traded a little concealment for way ore HP and bigger guns so that's how I play it. I think kills will come but my goal is to win and my job is to  facilitate kills by consuming enemy DC parties and causing panic/frustration. If I do that well,and this ship can, and my team doesnt suck eggs we should win.

[SIDE]
Members
2,865 posts
2 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

It's basically it. But the problem is that you are kinda in the passenger seat for the first half of the game since you cannot really do play or push yourself. Sure you will stack damage, but like the Conqueror you will have a low impact on the first half and can only hope for you team to carry you at first. Then sure you can play more cocky, but I find the Yoshino to be even more squishier than my Zao (yes, she have more HP, but the armor layout make her a citadel pinata while the Zao is more trollish).

All in all, it is still my favorite trier 10 ship with my Shima for now.

Agree. That's where patience pays off. If you charge in as part of first line you aren't really playing to the ships strengths and, because you are huge and sorta squishy, could be taken out by 12 fairly close enemy ships.

I disagree about conqueror. They sort of fill the same role early on but I think yosh could be more versatile and contributory than the conqueror as the game progresses. Of course that depends on the temperament of the yosh captain 

[PISD]
Members
607 posts
3,982 battles
14 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Agree. That's where patience pays off. If you charge in as part of first line you aren't really playing to the ships strengths and, because you are huge and sorta squishy, could be taken out by 12 fairly close enemy ships.

I disagree about conqueror. They sort of fill the same role early on but I think yosh could be more versatile and contributory than the conqueror as the game progresses. Of course that depends on the temperament of the yosh captain 

The conqueror is quite more tanky than the Yoshino, so even if it lacks the offensive capacity it can play a huge role in end game. And you have almost 0 chance to be dev strike with a Conqueror by gunfire, while Yoshino can easily be dev strike.

[SIDE]
Members
2,865 posts
13 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

The conqueror is quite more tanky than the Yoshino, so even if it lacks the offensive capacity it can play a huge role in end game. And you have almost 0 chance to be dev strike with a Conqueror by gunfire, while Yoshino can easily be dev strike.

Agree. I think the conq is both way more dummy proof and prob better suited to successful if selfish solo play (less desirable mindset in random). One on one the conq wins. No doubt. Even conceqlments are similar. Lol.

However, this is a team game with multiple ship types. The yosh is more versatile and if used as a force multiplier in coordinated-ish team play can be a good bit more deadly after its closed distance to its advantage. 

I have both and like them. For me and the things I like to do, I think I'd take the yosh out 3:1 over the Conq.

Beta Testers
1,782 posts

Yoshino is for all purposes, the love child of Yamato and Mogami. 

Armor scheme of Mogami... Detection range, Turret layout and 'supahsize my calibah' gun of Yamato ...and I guess Yoshino found a Shimakaze drugged up and passed out on some street (failed torp trauma disorder) and stole its torpedoes. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,591 posts
13,545 battles

I picked Yoshino up this morning as I finally started down the IJN cruiser line and wanted a Capt trainer. Below is my first game.

Yoshino.thumb.PNG.e8d48f5fe7b3ce41bd7d7ccf0cd04cff.PNG

So let me get this straight. I can mount GFCSM2 and shoot 24.7km and actually have the accuracy to hit at that range? And I can mount a spotter? Yeah Ok. This is the Asashio of cruisers. Its purpose built to punish campy BBs. Sure it can do more as the game progresses but BBs are what its built to punish. Now the question is.. IFHE.. do I hate Kremlin and Soyuz that much...

[NUWES]
Members
2,714 posts
8,685 battles
8 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

I'm with you on this. I got Yoshino and I am regretting it. I wish it could return it for my coal back. It is so fragile while simultaneously being such a big target that it is hard to use. The ones I've been teamed with in Randoms either:

1. Get spotted early by a BB and then vanish suddenly in a Hood-like explosion, or 

2. Survive to the late game by farming damage on enemy BBs from the back, then when we lose all of our caps (because we have a cruiser who is only farming damage from the back, which the BBs then repair), and the Yoshino is then spotted ... see #1 for the result.

It simply can't push, even when the team needs it. It is simply too easy to spot and kill. Also, I think the community as a whole knows now how fragile it is and BBs target it preferentially. (Azuma as well but I haven't seen one of those in a while.) 

It is basically a one-trick pony when others can do that trick and something else useful. I agree that if I am going to take a big, easy to spot and un maneuverable ship to farm HE damage I'd prefer to use Conqueror. At least it has armor. The torps are occasionally useful if the enemy is camping across open water but Conqueror's better armor (and better AP) is a far more reliable tool. I also think Henri and Zao are better options. Henri is fast enough to flank or run away.  Zao can control its detection better. Conqueror has armor. 

[SIDE]
Members
2,865 posts
29 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I'm with you on this. I got Yoshino and I am regretting it. I wish it could return it for my coal back. It is so fragile while simultaneously being such a big target that it is hard to use. The ones I've been teamed with in Randoms either:

1. Get spotted early by a BB and then vanish suddenly in a Hood-like explosion, or 

2. Survive to the late game by farming damage on enemy BBs from the back, then when we lose all of our caps (because we have a cruiser who is only farming damage from the back, which the BBs then repair), and the Yoshino is then spotted ... see #1 for the result.

It simply can't push, even when the team needs it. It is simply too easy to spot and kill. Also, I think the community as a whole knows now how fragile it is and BBs target it preferentially. (Azuma as well but I haven't seen one of those in a while.) 

It is basically a one-trick pony when others can do that trick and something else useful. I agree that if I am going to take a big, easy to spot and un maneuverable ship to farm HE damage I'd prefer to use Conqueror. At least it has armor. The torps are occasionally useful if the enemy is camping across open water but Conqueror's better armor (and better AP) is a far more reliable tool. I also think Henri and Zao are better options. Henri is fast enough to flank or run away.  Zao can control its detection better. Conqueror has armor. 

I had a 4 kill game where I had 4 torpedo hits this afternoon. In my last match my torps 2 shot killed enemy grozovoi I didn't even know was there. 1 killed an iowa. 1 knocked a Cleveland down to within 700hp for an easy kill by our shima.

I haven't witnessed any spontaneous explosions yet. I am very careful to angle and either keep close to friendly BB or about 15km from closest BB. I got smacked pretty hard and lost 20k in one salvo to a yamato but what ship hasn't.

Its a good boat I think. It seems to reward patience, planning and  persistent situational awareness. It's a support ship not a carry ship. It helps make things happen but can't make it happen on her own.

Sorry she isnt your cup of tea. I hate buyers remorse and hope she grows on you after a few more games.

Edited by thebigblue

[WOLFG]
Members
333 posts
9,407 battles

I didn't need 6 games to know I loved the Yoshino.  Kinda loved her even before I got her.  My first game, I did 150k and got 3 sinkings if I remember right.  And yes, if you're careful and pick the right situation, you can get close as long as you don't broadside.  You don't always have to stay 20km away.  I took out a DM with her, just using her HE and no torps at like 10km, lol.  Thought I was gonna sink, but didn't.

[CAST]
Members
4,808 posts
3,359 battles

New Conq is very strong now, but no longer idiot proof.

But while Conq is still much tankier than Yoshino could ever hope to be, Yoshino guns are MUCH more reliable at long range. Conqs firing out at max range and landing anything is pure fluke.

Sign in to follow this