You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree

22 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles

In a word: SHINONOME.

Friday evening was taken up with polishing off the battleship base XP grind for the directives (for the crate; I already had the Siroco), then...

1) 3000 Free XP - Implacable with FXP flags and camo to the gills. One and done. 

2) "Spot 10 ships to win 3 stars" - a few of the battles took no more than a single sweep around the entire enemy fleet to get this done, and before I knew it I was done with Mission 4. 

3) 30,000 XP to unlock Task 5 - this took up much of Sunday afternoon, but it was worth the flags I spent.

4) "Get 3000 XP in a single battle" - for 3 stars. Flags up to the eyeballs and away we go. I slipped up in forgetting to re-select the mission once, but meh whatever. 

5) "Play a battle" - yeah. Died early in a long battle, but finally it was over and the Shinonome was mine. Took her out for her shakedown cruise in co-op and am very pleased with her. More than worth the effort.

Spent the rest of the evening in PTS, picking up the minor live-server prizes.  

Great weekend. 

How was yours?

[HDR]
Members
1,267 posts
4,431 battles

I got a Jean Bart rental so just using JB mainly at the moment.

Popped on some flags and am earning tons of free exp. Around 4-6k per ranked win and 3k on a defeat with a good score.

Had a really fun division battle with a clan mate, me in a gneisenau and him in scharnhorst where we pushed hard.

Trying to rank up :P.

How`s the Shinonome? Always wanted to get her.

Your  weekend seems really fun.

[KWF]
Members
3,741 posts
5,401 battles

Heh, now time for Yamamoto or Halsey though the latter is the more gruelling. 

As for Shinonome, she is decent for what she does. For a mid tier torpedoboat it's either she or T-61 to look out for. Just don't forget to use the guns from time to time, with the recent buffs they got some nice alpha and you can use 2 turrets while retreating.

My weekend was boring, finished Siroco, got Guepard and now on break pretty much.

Members
156 posts
10,863 battles

Finished the third directive late Friday, then the final Directive yesterday and received the Siroco last evening (stayed up way past what I was planning on in order to finish).  In doing the Directive, finished all but the final task in the Halsey campaign.  I would think I can finish that this week.  Had a great game in my Salem in Randoms yesterday (for me).  98k damage and a win.   Was nice to contribute and do well in a TX battle.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
12 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Just don't forget to use the guns from time to time

Have no fear on that score. When I got the Hatsuharu in my port during the PEF event, I watched @Destroyer_KuroshioKai's YouTube vids on how to play her and that showed me what IJN DD guns were all about. There is no zealot like a (relatively) recent convert. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,263 posts

Played the crap out of the game Fri, Sat and Sun, and got the directive finished.  I already had Siroco, so was grinding for the doubloons.

I now have 155 million credits.    Also discovered that I ground all the way through Alsace;  ground a captain to 19 points in it (which got moved to Repub); and started a new captain- all without ever having equipped a 3 million credit upgrade...  That oopsie was remedied:  it now has the reload boost.

Also went into inventory, and cleaned out all the A hulls and stock modules (except the torpedoes).   Recovered the 3 mil I put into Alsace and then some, lol.

The French DD mission drought continued- finished the Hard combat mission (20 dailys) for all the special flags and 3 french crates, plus all the crates from the directive, and got NO missions.  Gee, what a surprise...

Sunday SUCKED.  I couldn't BUY a decent game...   Either they were the obnoxious 3 minute and dones;  or RNG was effing with me (just HOW many salvos of 16" can I pump into a flat broadside Alabama at less than 10 km and get NO citadels or even big damage??? WTH??? );  Or I got swarmed and focused.   Also ran out of reports, due to the sheer volume of obnoxious crap going on.  (everything from f key spamming, to careless torp spamming; to "I'ma gonna ram this ship that isn't moving just cuz I can!  Aren't I cool?")   Also had some spaz in a Sinop  continually turning into me- he ran me into an island; then our DD- pushing him out of his smoke;  pushed me into a spread of torpedoes;  then forced me to go broadside in front of 3 enemy BB's- while blocking my guns.    I've never been so tempted to dump a full salvo into someone...

[WOLFG]
Members
7,464 posts
5,432 battles

Worked on the German camo mission. 

Purchased the New Mexico.  Stock that ship is.... interesting.  I keep telling DDs in front of me that I am stock, so I even less able to keep up.

Finished of the Vauquelin 15k XP mission.  Now I have 260 french whatever they are burning a hole in my pocket.

[SYJ]
Members
124 posts
10,663 battles

Unlocked Zao and I am grinding credits to buy her, only need 1.4 million. I actually got the Jaguar in a crate after opening umpteen of them.  I most say that was a sad drop rate for me anyway.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,308 posts
16,189 battles

Saturday started at 4am and ended at 10pm, I had to work two 8 hour shifts at work.

Sunday was another 4am morning and another 8 hour shift. 

I was so tired after these two days I didn't even bother playing WoWs....surprisingly I didn't miss it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Purchased the New Mexico.  Stock that ship is.... interesting. 

I am almost through her and have had fun, even though the dispersion sometimes has me saying other words that begin with F. I might have finished her off over the weekend, but when I saw how close to the Shinonome I was I thought "No, dammit, I'm going to get this thing and be done with the campaign".

Tonight is a Bonus-ship-XP-in-dailies night, and with absolutely nothing on my plate ATM it's a good opportunity to take out the New Mex and either finish her off or at least take a big chunk out of what's left of the grind.

[WOLFG]
Members
7,464 posts
5,432 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am almost through her and have had fun, even though the dispersion sometimes has me saying other words that begin with F. I might have finished her off over the weekend, but when I saw how close to the Shinonome I was I thought "No, dammit, I'm going to get this thing and be done with the campaign".

Tonight is a Bonus-ship-XP-in-dailies night, and with absolutely nothing on my plate ATM it's a good opportunity to take out the New Mex and either finish her off or at least take a big chunk out of what's left of the grind.

I expected the dispersion, but 18knts in a tier 8 game is just painful.

I have not taken the speed upgrade before the ship upgrade on a BB yet.  This will likely be the exception.

Members
1,975 posts
7,013 battles

I make propulsion and gun accuracy the priorities for most of my ships. 
Being slow means sometimes not being able to cover the map in a timely manner during scenario operations.

The New Mexico desperately needs the propulsion improvement.
Going from 18 knots to 21.5 knots may not seem like much, but it does make a difference.

[SHAFT]
Members
714 posts
15,164 battles

Did the rank ping pong back and forth trying to get to R5.

I did not succeed...sigh, enough said.

Members
1,975 posts
7,013 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Friday evening was taken up with polishing off the battleship base XP grind for the directives (for the crate; I already had the Siroco), then...

1) 3000 Free XP - Implacable with FXP flags and camo to the gills. One and done. 

2) "Spot 10 ships to win 3 stars" - a few of the battles took no more than a single sweep around the entire enemy fleet to get this done, and before I knew it I was done with Mission 4. 

3) 30,000 XP to unlock Task 5 - this took up much of Sunday afternoon, but it was worth the flags I spent.

4) "Get 3000 XP in a single battle" - for 3 stars. Flags up to the eyeballs and away we go. I slipped up in forgetting to re-select the mission once, but meh whatever. 

5) "Play a battle" - yeah. Died early in a long battle, but finally it was over and the Shinonome was mine. Took her out for her shakedown cruise in co-op and am very pleased with her. More than worth the effort.

Great weekend. 

How was yours?

In no particular order.

Finally researched the Shokaku with my CV Ryujo.  That was a long grind.

Acquired the Furious (CV), and got her enough ship XP to upgrade the torpedo planes.

Played mostly in the "Killer Whale" operation of the week.  Some good and some not so good battles, there.

Found that "The Mighty Jingles" had created a youtube instructional video for operation "Killer Whale", back in 2017.
Most of it still applies.  But, post CV rework, the enemy Hosho CV is missing nowadays.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
4 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I expected the dispersion, but 18knts in a tier 8 game is just painful.

I understood the meaning of "These ships will teach you positioning" when I got the New York (at least most of the Wyoming's contemporaries are not that much faster). 

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Found that "The Mighty Jingles" had created a youtube instructional video for operation "Killer Whale", back in 2017.
Most of it still applies.  But, post CV rework, the enemy Hosho CV is missing nowadays.

@Lightninger has instructional vids that are current, post rework. Go look his YT up; he features at least one CV game from @Vader_Sama, who is the closest thing to an Operations carrier main I know of.

Members
1,975 posts
7,013 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I understood the meaning of "These ships will teach you positioning" when I got the New York (at least most of the Wyoming's contemporaries are not that much faster). 

@Lightninger has instructional vids that are current, post rework. Go look his YT up; he features at least one CV game from @Vader_Sama, who is the closest thing to an Operations carrier main I know of.

Thanks.
I didn't need it for myself, but went looking for it to share.
I'd played a few games in which the other players seemed 'under-informed' about the scenario objectives and how to accomplish them in a timely manner.
The current content you've provided will hopefully help.  :-)

[WOLFG]
Members
7,464 posts
5,432 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

New York's speed was hard, but with the ships speeding up in T8, it gets worse.

Plus in coop, the game can easily run away from you.  I  don't mind if I can't get away, it is just when the bots get a wild hair and all run to the opposite side of the map.  Then you are the fat kid running after the ice cream truck.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
16 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

the scenario objectives and how to accomplish them in a timely manner.

The main problems I see with random teams are:

1) Failure to get enough ships to the extraction point on time (too busy farming, too slow getting the harbour cleaned out, overwhelmed and cut off/wiped out by the late spawns, or a combination of the three)

2) Failure to stop the V-25 and/or Wakatake from coming into the harbour from the west (see #1), losing at least one star (and slow battleships which try to deal with that alone get focused by the bots and overwhelmed).

3) Failure to stop the cruiser coming into the harbour zone from the north.

I would rather have a battle in which the team fulfills the mission tasks and then GTFO without farming the rest of the waves than one in which they kill everything and then blow the entire op because someone was greedy and turned back to farm that last little bit. I've seen battles in which the CV straggler saves the op by creeping across the line with seconds to go when the DD that could have fulfilled the get-out task turns back just short of the line to grab a few more HP. The problem is that in Aegis, all of the players can die with five stars so long as that first transport gets its nose across the line. In Killer Whale, you can't all die.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,975 posts
7,013 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The main problems I see with random teams are:

1) Failure to get enough ships to the extraction point on time (too busy farming, too slow getting the harbour cleaned out, overwhelmed and cut off/wiped out by the late spawns, or a combination of the three)

2) Failure to stop the V-25 and/or Wakatake from coming into the harbour from the west (see #1), losing at least one star (and slow battleships which try to deal with that alone get focused by the bots and overwhelmed).

3) Failure to stop the cruiser coming into the harbour zone from the north.

I would rather have a battle in which the team fulfills the mission tasks and then GTFO without farming the rest of the waves than one in which they kill everything and then blow the entire op because someone was greedy and turned back to farm that last little bit. I've seen battles in which the CV straggler saves the op by creeping across the line with seconds to go when the DD that could have fulfilled the get-out task turns back just short of the line to grab a few more HP.

+1.
:-D

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,318 posts
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Great weekend. 

How was yours?

Took me a second to recognize the Campaign objectives... I've done all I can without grinding PVP, so I've not looked at them in forever.

Finished the Siroco grind mid-week, so nothing needed there. 

Finished the credit mission for IJN to pick up some extra credits, finished the credit mission in German ships for some camos and started the ribbons mission (third one has not shown up yet), got the 15000xp on the Siroco almost finished, then  went over to do some PTS, completed "play a battle" and "shoot down 100 aircraft".

Lucked out on the aircraft, the bot carrier decided that it really, really wanted to bomb my Helena, and I was over 50 downed in my first battle.  Only took 4 battles total, and by that point I was past my WOWS limit for the weekend and logged off. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[WOLF9]
Members
4,263 posts
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yup- while the opportunity is here (French directive done; EZ Normal/hard missions done;  everything I can do in combat missions done)  I'm going to work on bringing Soviet BB's German DD's and RN DD's out of tier 4.   All are at least half done, but there have been SO many tier 5 and up grind missions, I didn't dare spend any time in low tiers.

I HAVE all the early release Soviet BB's and RN DD's; plus one or two bonus German DD's I got from somewhere, but no captains for those lines.  I put 3 pointers in them all to do the Frenchflakes, and didn't put any upgrades on them.   Thus, they were useless for the directives. (more or less- due to better options)   I have enjoyed Acasta in the few games I've played in it, though.

That, and I'm completely burned out on high tier play for right now, after the epic grind to finish parts 3 and 4 of that directive.   Kinda sad when I have a fleet full of AA monsters, and we're at a point where AA is especially strong- and it took until the VERY end to shoot down 100 planes...

Members
3,004 posts
10,951 battles

Was working on 2 separate things in-game. The French DD directives and my personal mission to get my sub 50% WR ships to 50%.

The french DD directives were relatively easy, didnt really have to think too much about them. 

The personal mission is getting there. Emerald, Conq, Bismark Okt Rev are completed all with decent/very good runs.

Kongo is close to done. Mogami is giving me some issues, but I think Ill figure it out this week.

Either way productive in-game week/weekend.