You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

First time since the rework!

20 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,101 posts

I was running back behind the enemy team with my first squad of spotter rocket planes, not really planning on attacking anything but just getting the lay of things and where the enemy was located. For some reason I spotted a Shimakaze back behind the other ships. Did he just load slowly or was he going around to join his team on the other side? Who knows? I just knew he was too far from my team for my spotting to do any good so I attacked him.

I went in with a salvo, not expecting to do more than to pester him as it usually takes several sorties to sink a DD nowadays, if even then. The Shima's AA must have been buffed recently as he was knocking down my planes one after the other but I still lined up a salvo and let lose. To my utter amazement, this happened:

image.png.7a6a6e19c40826a01aa84ffd33ddbdf5.png

Sorry 'bout that @Reapershadow63, that kind of strike almost never happens anymore. Your team won though as my team yoloed off and left our base totally unguarded.

image.png.92fc713505ddd2c473cc3863d32804c5.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 7

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,684 posts
3,895 battles

A full health detonation is supposed to be impossible now. Nice fix, WG.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,287 posts
7,161 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

If memory serves, it can happen if a salvo does in excess of 25% health. It's just unlikely, as it skips the first 25% for detonation, so it's only the damage you did beyond that in said salvo that can pull it off.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,684 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If memory serves, it can happen if a salvo does in excess of 25% health. It's just unlikely, as it skips the first 25% for detonation, so it's only the damage you did beyond that in said salvo that can pull it off.

And that shouldn't be happening. It just means WG did a shoddy job with their prevention coding.

As usual.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,287 posts
7,161 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

And that shouldn't be happening. It just means WG did a shoddy job with their prevention coding.

As usual.

And why not? The health was below 75%% by the end. If you did 50% of someone's health in a single salvo, that 25% after the first 25% should by all means be getting its chance at a detonation. And even then, if memory serves, that first 25% can still hit the turrets and raise the chance of detonating something, thus making it easier to detonate after the damage starts getting fully calculated.

The change was meant to lessen first salvo detonations, not remove them.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
891 posts
9,921 battles

I've detonated BBs with an Asashio but with 2 torps. It happens even from full hp but after the 25 percent up reduction has occurred. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,101 posts
42 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

All that has to happen is for the health to be reduced below 75% before the detonation occurs. Since not all of the rockets strike at the same time this apparently happened. I've seen the same with a BB's salvo. It's very rare though.

[INTEL]
Members
11,470 posts
32,071 battles

What a stupid waste. It's good that you apologized. I always try to when I detonate someone.

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles
45 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

As usual.

What happened here was the rocket strike did more than 25% of his health; since there's usually several dozen rockets per hit, and hits can easily be 30-50% of a destroyer's health, one of the later rockets in the salvo would have been the detonator.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,605 posts
10,850 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It is but isn't - If say a single HVAR were to hit a DD, there would be no roll on detonation if it was full health. However it takes in to account EVERY hit - so the instant the ship drops below 75% the next hit will trigger a detonation roll. So, lets say a CV lands 10/24-30 rockets. They do I believe around 700 damage per penetrating hit. The 7th rocket would actually put the ship below 75%, meaning that the HP on magazines is already likely depleted and the other 3 hits that are scored will have rolls for detonation because there is a slight delay in each impact. So it both is and isn't a full health detonation

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

The Shima's AA must have been buffed recently as he was knocking down my planes one after the other but I still lined up a salvo and let lose.

Every ship has been getting it's AA buffed since the rework started, the switch to single plane being damaged did as they intended, and buffed the damage of low AA ships like a shima to actually knock planes down though somehow it never crossed their brains what happens when you do that with ships that have good or great AA. It's not uncommon for DD captains to take BFT and AFT for RoF and range, and they could have chosen to add the slot 6 module that increases the DPS of all the guns and the explosions. She's still by no means an AA monster, but she'll still knock some planes out of the air. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,491 posts
18,035 battles
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

NOT a detonation, a devastating strike. Different mechanic, same results.

[TARK]
Members
4,421 posts
1,662 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Indeed.

It is really surprising for the CV player when it happens though. 

I was dumping my first torpedo pairs into a New York a few weeks back and circling around...and boom...detonation. Not full health, but close enough to full health. 

Reaction from everyone (greens and reds)...wow.

Dont forget those detonation flags, folks.

[CNO]
Members
5,230 posts
16,424 battles

Inquiring minds want to know:

1.  Did the DD wait until getting regular spot before turning on AA?

2.  If you had to re-position outside normal detect, did he turn AA off?

3.  Did you get him in trail, head on, or broadside?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,684 posts
3,895 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

The red text clearly shows the enemy player getting a "Detonation" achievement.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,101 posts
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The red text clearly shows the enemy player getting a "Detonation" achievement.

But what's weird is that I got a Dev Strike achievement at the same time. I think that a lot of RNG luck was involved with that strike. I'd post a replay but I do a hard delete on the Replays folder daily and its gone.

[POP]
Members
1,526 posts
19,012 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

But what's weird is that I got a Dev Strike achievement at the same time. I think that a lot of RNG luck was involved with that strike. I'd post a replay but I do a hard delete on the Replays folder daily and its gone.

They are not mutually exclusive, all one needs to get the Dev Strike is that the target meets the req HP when it detonates.

[REVY]
Members
1,751 posts
10,677 battles
11 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

11 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

All that has to happen is for the health to be reduced below 75% before the detonation occurs. Since not all of the rockets strike at the same time this apparently happened. I've seen the same with a BB's salvo. It's very rare though.

^ this.

DDs don't have a very large HP pool and a couple of hits can easily move them past the required 75% point. Then that one lucky hit and boom.

No fix needed: Working as intended.

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

2 hours ago, Alabamastan said:

They are not mutually exclusive, all one needs to get the Dev Strike is that the target meets the req HP when it detonates.

^ this