Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

Bad rolls on broadsides or am I missing something?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
1,522 battles

So I'm in my Roma. I find myself against a Queen Elizabeth. I'm not saying it's a piece of cake but it's not exactly a bad matchup. We get in knife fight range. Literally a couple of KM between the 2 of us. I get her broadside, aim at just above the water line and unload an entire salvo into it. 2 over pens (I figured that could happen to some), 5 penetrations, 2 ricochets. I look again to double check and I wasn't seeing anything. I just don't understand it. I can citadel a Yamato from 18km away but at point blank against a Elizabeth not so much?

So is it just a bad roll or am I missing something?

[KRAB]
Members
877 posts
7,323 battles

QE has a citadel which is underwater and internal - you usually need to be at an angle or at long range to hit it. It isn't like the KGV or Yamato where the citadel is the external armor belt.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
1,522 battles
1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

QE has a citadel which is underwater and internal - you usually need to be at an angle or at long range to hit it. It isn't like the KGV or Yamato where the citadel is the external armor belt.

Thanks. That definitely explains it. Knife fights against the Elizabeth is a bad thing relatively speaking.

Also the Roma having a low shot angle hurts that aspects as well.

[SHEEP]
Members
216 posts
4,319 battles

Roma has pretty good muzzle velocity, at short ranges, that translates into really highs vertical dispersion, so between some bad rng and the dispersion it’s pretty unlikely to get citadels. Also a lot of t6 and t7 bbs are pretty hard to citadel, I’ve dumped 3 or 4 salvoes from a sinop into a QE, New Mex and Colo each at sub 10km and not gotten an citadel once

[WOLF3]
Members
22,845 posts
20,774 battles

To add regarding QE's Citadel protection.

Here's her Citadel level, right at the waterline.

zJitBTg.jpg

But toss in the Casemate armor and it becomes daunting in a short ranged fight.

SCIFB2k.jpg

In a short ranged fight you'd have to get past the 330mm belt armor + 25mm torpedo bulge.  There is also that 127mm angled deck behind all that.  That's probably what forced your shots to not smash the Citadel.

If things were perfectly perpendicular to the QE target's broadside, Roma has way more than enough AP penetration to rip through the belt armor, torp bulge and get to the Citadel.  But that angled deck looks like it can foil you.  At short range, the angled deck is too thick and will save the Citadel.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
4,046 posts
5,394 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

To add regarding QE's Citadel protection.

Here's her Citadel level, right at the waterline.

zJitBTg.jpg

But toss in the Casemate armor and it becomes daunting in a short ranged fight.

SCIFB2k.jpg

In a short ranged fight you'd have to get past the 330mm belt armor + 25mm torpedo bulge.  There is also that 127mm angled deck behind all that.  That's probably what forced your shots to not smash the Citadel.

Roma has a lot of pen and velocity though, especially at that sort of range I would expect that it is a trajectory issue, not a pen one.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,845 posts
20,774 battles
1 minute ago, Aetreus said:

Roma has a lot of pen and velocity though, especially at that sort of range I would expect that it is a trajectory issue, not a pen one.

Check that angled deck behind the belt armor.  AP Pen isn't the problem, that 127mm angled deck is.  At short range, the angle is too sharp for the shell, and it's too thick to simply overwhelm.

[WOLF2]
Members
563 posts
15,016 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

So I'm in my Roma

There’s your problem right there.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Joking aside, I don’t have Roma, but I’ve heard from multitudes of people that it’s guns are troll as hell.  At point blank range they shouldn’t be too bad, but those RN BBs are notoriously hard to citadel.  Use the same method as shooting at German BBs at close range.....don’t aim waterline....aim at UPPER belt, about halfway from the waterline to the deck.  You won’t get citadels, but you’ll get a hell of a lot of regular pens for a lot of damage.

Edited by RumpledSteelskins

[KAPPA]
Members
2,333 posts
7,178 battles
51 minutes ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

There’s your problem right there.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Joking aside, I don’t have Roma, but I’ve heard from multitudes of people that it’s guns are troll as hell.  At point blank range they shouldn’t be too bad, but those RN BBs are notoriously hard to citadel.  Use the same method as shooting at German BBs at close range.....don’t aim waterline....aim at UPPER belt, about halfway from the waterline to the deck.  You won’t get citadels, but you’ll get a hell of a lot of regular pens for a lot of damage.

Well... not too bad anymore. T7+ had that huge cit nerf and heal buff recently, didn't they? That said, QE need not apply, being a T6. No changes were made there as far as I remember.

Sign in to follow this