You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sup3rcharged_Banana

Izumo troubles

11 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
2,457 battles

I know it's just a game and I teach my kids that as well.  But man, I tell ya, I've never been so frustrated with a ship more so than the Izumo.  I've looked on here for tactics and what I could find on other sites as well, so far, bow tanking, moving close to center then reversing...but those aren't the best either.  I'm okay with the third turret not being able to fire with the first two, it's still 6 shots going out, but it's that set up that screws me up as well.  Another frustrating issue I have is the lack of crits and lack of wins, which could just be the team overall as well.  At one point in a battle, I couldn't get rid of a pesky Fiji at 14km in the open...so annoying...lol.  All 9 shots went out, AP, and only 1 hit...was like that for a couple of salvoes...brutal. Being able to cause good decent damage with AP is also frustrating.  Oh, there are a few rare moments where I've been able to get a 12k damage salvo, but nothing spectacular.

So far, I'm at 16 battles.  4 wins, 12 losses, survived 5.  Destroyed 5.

Current build-  Main Arm Mod, Dmg Control 1, Aim Systems, Dmg Control 2, Concealment, Main Battery Mod

Previous build- Main Arm Mod, Dmg Control 1, AA, Steer Gear Mods, Concealment, Main Battery Mod (changed to current build due too amount of HE being fired at the ship)

Current Captain- Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Super Intendant, Basics of Survivability,  Concealment

Previous Captain- PM, AR, SI, BFT, AFT,  (had good secondary and AA- shot down more planes than ships :Smile_veryhappy: )

I'm getting to a point where I just don't want to play this ship anymore and go back to either Amagi or Nagato and build up XP to completely bypass this ship to get the Yamato.  Unless someone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

[PVE]
Members
3,970 posts
22,314 battles
40 minutes ago, Sup3rcharged_Banana said:

I know it's just a game and I teach my kids that as well.  But man, I tell ya, I've never been so frustrated with a ship more so than the Izumo.  I've looked on here for tactics and what I could find on other sites as well, so far, bow tanking, moving close to center then reversing...but those aren't the best either.  I'm okay with the third turret not being able to fire with the first two, it's still 6 shots going out, but it's that set up that screws me up as well.  Another frustrating issue I have is the lack of crits and lack of wins, which could just be the team overall as well.  At one point in a battle, I couldn't get rid of a pesky Fiji at 14km in the open...so annoying...lol.  All 9 shots went out, AP, and only 1 hit...was like that for a couple of salvoes...brutal. Being able to cause good decent damage with AP is also frustrating.  Oh, there are a few rare moments where I've been able to get a 12k damage salvo, but nothing spectacular.

Current build-  Main Arm Mod, Dmg Control 1, Aim Systems, Dmg Control 2, Concealment, Main Battery Mod

Previous build- Main Arm Mod, Dmg Control 1, AA, Steer Gear Mods, Concealment, Main Battery Mod (changed to current build due too amount of HE being fired at the ship)

Current Captain- Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Super Intendant, Basics of Survivability,  Concealment

Previous Captain- PM, AR, SI, BFT, AFT,  (had good secondary and AA- shot down more planes than ships :Smile_veryhappy: )

I'm getting to a point where I just don't want to play this ship anymore and go back to either Amagi or Nagato and build up XP to completely bypass this ship to get the Yamato.  Unless someone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I didn't mind Izumo as much as most people but it was such a long time ago (it's actually been buffed since then) I couldn't give you any pointers of worth. Based on forum posts I'm guessing it is the most FXPed ship in game.

Unfortunately (well...not for the Fiji) Fiji's are like that...insane rudder shift = dodge most anything coming it's way...especially in a 1on 1 scenario at 14 km.

Choice is yours but don't base it solely on the Fiji's.

Members
2,379 posts
13,601 battles

I've read many posts from players who hated Izumo.

I was dreading playing this ship but came a time where I had to. At first I too hated her but as I slowly upgraded all of her modules and got used to her play style everything changed. I was actually getting multiple CITs and destroying Yamatos regularly. My survival rate climbed quickly. BTW I may even buy it back because of the fun factor.

I had to sell it to get the Yamato but all of my BB builds are very similar. For Izumo 

• Dmg Control 1
  • Aiming System Mod 1
  • Dmg Control 2
  • Concealment 
  • Aux Armaments Mod 1

Captain Skills 
I typically use BOS but with Izumo and Yamato I found they are prime targets for DDs and torp planes so Vigilance made more sense 

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Expert Markman 
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Superintendent 
  • Vigilance 
  • Fire Presentation 

Play Style:

At first I played Izimo like a French BB sitting in one spot and bow tanking. I quickly became a sitting duck for HE spam and CVs. My BB experience intuition told me that showing only my bow is the only way to play because she was a huge target on the move. This turned out to be false with this ship. Keeping it moving was key. This isn't an easy task but there is a way to keep angled, not show broadside most of the time and become a beast.  One tactic that works for many BBs is to move while angled towards your target where there is an island in front of you. As you get close to the island use it as shelter to turn around and then move away from targets angled again with guns blazing. A BB can be just as effective moving away from targets as it is moving towards them. I usually move away slowing unless I'm being target by HE spam whereas I use max speed. The key here is not to be trapped stationary or moving too slow or backwards. The ship is huge and it takes too long to get up to speed. You will be deleted by the time that happens. 

Hope this helps

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 1

[TROLO]
Members
478 posts
8,681 battles
1 hour ago, Sup3rcharged_Banana said:

know it's just a game and I teach my kids that as well.  But man, I tell ya, I've never been so frustrated with a ship more so than the Izumo.  I've looked on here for tactics and what I could find on other sites as well, so far, bow tanking, moving close to center then reversing...but those aren't the best either.  I'm okay with the third turret not being able to fire with the first two, it's still 6 shots going out, but it's that set up that screws me up as well.  Another frustrating issue I have is the lack of crits and lack of wins, which could just be the team overall as well.  At one point in a battle, I couldn't get rid of a pesky Fiji at 14km in the open...so annoying...lol.  All 9 shots went out, AP, and only 1 hit...was like that for a couple of salvoes...brutal. Being able to cause good decent damage with AP is also frustrating.  Oh, there are a few rare moments where I've been able to get a 12k damage salvo, but nothing spectacular.

I'm grinding her currently and enjoy her like no other IJN BB so far (except Musashi when RNG is by my side), she have insane amounts of armor compared to any other IJN BB and her guns are glorious.

Just a few tips: Remain angled and only open to use the third turret when there are about 8 seconds later to finish the reload  to minimize the exposed time, then back again to agle and repeat, she have a ton of armor to stand what in Yamato or Musashi would be lethal cheek shoots. She only carries 410mm guns so don't be afraid to use HE against angled targets, it works rather well and even with only 30% fire chance the HE does not let you down if the enemy BBs angle. Try to go for the citadel shoots on cruiser but if you can't, just smash the noses with overmatch and see the fulls pens do 13k+ damage every time. Don't be afraid of brawling, her heavy armor can stand a lot of punishment even if you mess up and show broadside to enemy BBs, just try to ensure that if you do you are a bit far away from them (11km+ to "low pen" BBs and 14km+ to things like Yamato or Kremlin). 

She is a great ship, just don't camp all game and never ever get AA module BB, the accuracy mod is almost mandatory for any BB out there.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,519 posts

Too late to free-XP past it now.  You already bought it and equipped it.

If you hear about 'dog' ships here, (and Izumo is the obvious one)...   Might want to have your FXP ready when you Elite the prior ship.

I zipped past the Izumo without going the expense of buying it.  Bought it back for the 'Snowflake' missions and worked it for all the modules later.

For all the folks trolling you about how good it is...   Even top hull and all the trimmings...  It's no Yamato, and you will be T10 games about 80% of the time.

As for being a keeper?  If you have slots, keep it for snowflakes..  If not, jump at the Yammy whenever you get within reach.

I often play the Yamato and Amagi for fun.  I don't play the Izumo for fun.

[CWM]
Members
475 posts
15,283 battles
On 8/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, Sup3rcharged_Banana said:

Pretty much the same results when I first started playing her and I thought WTH? After the ship was fully upgraded the results got better. I feel not moving around much and staying bow on makes for the best results but results can vary and some battles and maps will make it necessary to move around the map. I got to where I really like the ship and the grind to the Yamato which I have now turned rather pleasant if there is such a thing as a T9 to T10 grind.:Smile_teethhappy:  My funniest battle ever in the Izumo was sinking a Musashi while doing 130K to her as she was a healing SOB! :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[CWM]
Members
475 posts
15,283 battles

Post is a little old but the Izumo gets better when you have all the modules fully upgraded too. Probably my best and most memorable battle in her is when I sank a Musashi doing 135K damage to her due to her using all her heals. I believe I ended up with around 190K damage with 3 sunk in that battle. What a brawl! :Smile_izmena:

[QCM]
Members
203 posts
On 8/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, Sup3rcharged_Banana said:

At one point in a battle, I couldn't get rid of a pesky Fiji at 14km in the open...so annoying...lol.  All 9 shots went out, AP, and only 1 hit...

In case you still have concerns:

That was directly due to choice of ammo if you aimed well. Switch to HE on those thinly armored targets (including DD's), the Izumo's guns have good velocity and can easily overpen stuff using AP. Which means that her AP will pen BB armor at range very well.

I recommend keeping the Izumo permanently and learning her nuances, the ship is a total beast.

She is capable of boosting your winrate in randoms significantly. I try to keep her moving at a 16-18km range at first, but in a spot where she doesn't get much attention, preferably in the center half of the map where you can still reposition to support the other side if needed (she's sorta slow at times). Close in to 12-15km if your team has the momentum for the win. Izumo is both an opportunist and a brawler, very accurate at range when needed and devastating when closer to an unsuspecting opponent caught broadside or about to turn (keep a constant watch for them). Unlike many battleships, sometimes you will see a full Izumo salvo arc to your target as if the rounds were magnetically glued to each other, a veritable five-finger death punch. Like stated above, choose your ammo wisely and religiously keep track of where her third turret is pointed at all times, planning your moves accordingly. It is easy to tank staying pointed at your opponents (going forward or reversing), and turning only right before being reloaded for a full broadside (if it doesn't get you in real trouble, and preferably timed after their salvos). Expect to catch fire and be torped, but learn to time your repairs and damage control consumables, using them effectively (only as needed if you're getting hammered). You will get comfortable enough to chase smoked DD's and kill them at CLOSE range with judiciously applied WASD hacks and HE destructo rounds. You will come to know that many opponents do NOT like an Izumo's attention, lol.

Good luck.... :Smile_playing:

Edited by MudRaker227