You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Suggestion for Gearing/Shima builds

7 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
496 posts
7,473 battles

There is a combination of Captain's skills. module choices and upgrades that gives the Gearing 13.2 km torps running at 71 knots and the Shima 16 km torps running at 67 knots.  It does take a 19 point captain to configure the ships, but it means that those pesky DMs and other radar cruisers who love to hide behind islands just beyond 12 kms are not safe.  There is a cost to setting these ships up this way.  Both lose AR.  check out the build in Coop and if it works for you, take the build into Random and beyond.

Remember, our job is to give radar cruiser drivers nightmares :cap_cool: 

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
496 posts
7,473 battles
15 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Using 20km Shima torps even with TA is not recommended because it still has 2.5km detection.

Good to know, thank you

[SYN]
Members
1,050 posts
9,136 battles
On 8/18/2019 at 12:31 PM, AMajor said:

Good to know, thank you

May not be recommended, but is much more effective than many believe.  I rarely use 12km torpedoes anymore. I flip between 8km and 20km choices. (Without TA)

IME, I get higher damages with 20km, but more kills with 8km. Compatible win rates. 

Edited by Ensign_Pulver_2016

[DBM]
Members
496 posts
7,473 battles

Copied and pasted from a post that I commented on.  It made sense to add it here as well.

There are actually 6 different torp builds for the Shima, taking into account Torpedo Acceleration.  Again, I reiterate, you really need to have a 19 pt captain to try some of these builds.  From shortest to longest, they are:

F3 Torps with TA: 6.4 km range, 81 knot torps - This build almost necessitates having Radio Location as a skill.  You have to approach Danger Close with a stealth torp range of only 0.8 km (torp range of 6.4 and concealment of 5.6).  This build is a dd killer with the 81 kt torps, but it's VERY situational.  CV and radar ships can wreck your day.  I would suggest that you try it out first in Coop, but a Shima torp wall travelling at 81 kts is truly terrifying

F3 Torps: 8.0 km range, 76 knot torps - the third most common of the "standard" Shima builds.  This build rewards a patient captain with good situational awareness.  It can be a frustrating build if you have a good CV driver on the red side and/or lots of radar ships.

93M3 Torps with TA: 9.6 km range, 72 knot torps - I'll be honest, I haven't played this build much.  The torps are still too short to reach radar cruisers when they are actively pinging, but you do gain 1.6 kms over the F3s.  I'd be interested to hear what others think of this build.

93M3 torps: 12.0 km range, 67 knot torps - The most common of the "standard" Shima builds.  This is what has made the Shima a legend in the game.  Probably not the best choice in Random, but for Clan and Ranked, this is the choice for supporting you team.  The 12 km torps can drive away the radar cruisers and are fast enough to catch BB drivers as they push.

93 torps with TA: 16 km range, 67 knot torps - See above for the 2.5 km detection.  Even with this, I am having success with this build routing Des Moines out from behind the islands that they like to park behind,  They are so used to the 12 km torps that when they keep coming and don't run out of steam, DM drivers are forced to move, opening them up to fire from friendlies.

93 torps: 20.0 km range, 62 knot torps - The second most common of the "standard" Shima builds.  You can keep an entire red flank at bay from a cap if you cycle through your torps on 30 second intervals, giving you a constant stream of torps that you're sending into the gaps.

Try these out and let me know what everybody thinks. 

[SYN]
Members
1,050 posts
9,136 battles
On 8/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, AMajor said:

Try these out and let me know what everybody thinks

I run either the F3s or the 93s. 

I use Yamamoto with enhanced EM for those situations that I want to run and gun.

Even with the high detection I have good luck with the 93s. I hadn't consumed that players may not react to them since they believe themselves out of reach.

The 93s work well in driving radar cruisers out of cover and in punishing BBs hanging back. They did well for me in ranked, also.

The F3s are like assassins. You usually don't hit with just one. I love dev strikes against t 10 BBs.  And they cycle so super fast that it seems like torpedo are always available.