You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

A problem with Research Bureau that I don't think has been discussed yet

24 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,477 posts
16,267 battles

A problem with Research Bureau that I don't think as been discussed yet is, what about snowflake events?

WG likes to hold events where a victory in a ship of tier <X> will yield a certain reward. Steel, coal, tokens, you name it. But if you reset a line, lose your line of ships and WG elects to hold a snowflake event while you're working towards your tier 10 for the second time, you're losing out on the snowflake rewards for all the ships you could've gotten the snowflake reward for if you hadn't reset.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[WMD]
Members
1,135 posts
8,195 battles

They mentioned in the RB news that you would get automatically get credit for the WoWs anniversary event for each ship in a line that you reset. 

It stands to reason that they would do the same for the Christmas snowflakes. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,679 posts
10,504 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

They mentioned in the RB news that you would get automatically get credit for the WoWs anniversary event for each ship in a line that you reset. 

Not only do you get credit for it; if you manage to reacquire the ship within the span of the Anniversary event, you can grab the flake AGAIN.

[INTEL]
Members
11,483 posts
32,103 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not only do you get credit for it; if you manage to reacquire the ship within the span of the Anniversary event, you can grab the flake AGAIN.

lol thus trading FXP for steel/coal/tokens. Interesting...

[WOLFG]
Members
25,547 posts
6,358 battles

That could be a reason for the seasons, to allow time for events that would see you disadvantaged if you were resetting a line.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,477 posts
16,267 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ok, that's good then.

7 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

That's easy don't reset any lines until after a  snow flake event....

That automatically means you reset it before the next snowflake event.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

@Lert

Good point. If such events are announced well enough in advance one could hold off resetting a line until after those ships are used.  In the PT a ship only gets that research bonus for a win once per reset. A snowflake type event could be set so a ship only gets that bonus once regardless of resets.

I think it would be folly to reset more than one line at a time and if one had reset just prior to the event they are only losing at most 5 ships that would get the snowflake bonus.

No need to overthink it.

If anyone has the free xp, convertible ship xp and the money to throw at all their resettable lines it would ony take a few minutes to reset them all and miss nothing.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
115 posts
20,957 battles

If I’m reading the rules correctly there would be a big advantage to resetting both lines when there was a line split. You would get the points for two T8, T9 and T 10 ships but only have to grind one set of low tier ships. Is this correct?

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,208 posts
20,947 battles

You can actually probably maximize and minimize the snowflake grind by picking your reset line appropriately.

Say there is a line of ships you've moved up but literally just hate to play, reset that line and get all the benefits without needing to play. Minimal work for full reward. 

You could also reset your favorite line and fly through the reset with camos and flags and double up the reward without thinking twice.

For me, I'd reset the American BBs just because I hate the line before tier 8. Its even annoying to play them in Co-Op so minimize the work and still get the benefits.

On the other hand, I'd reset the French Cruiser or Battleship line because i love both those lines and wouldnt mind completely working through them again as fast as possible. Pile on camos, flags, and maximize daily win bonuses and fly through the line again for twice the snowflake rewards.

Just my thoughts

Edited by Skuggsja

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

@TAM_OH in every case you would only have to re research one set of tier 1 to 4 or 5 ships no matter how many splits there were in a line. You wouldn't have to re research both US CA splits except to get 4 more research bonus eligible ships.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts

I still haven't seen a coherent explanation as to why WG thinks this will work.

Does Wg really think the tiny number of hardcore players will make a significant difference?

G0Eu7zp.png

Or are there really that many whales that spend bundles, but don't play that much?

Edited by awiggin
  • Boring 1

Members
2,560 posts
93 battles
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I still haven't seen a coherent explanation as to why WG thinks this will work.

Does Wg really think the tiny number of hardcore players will make a significant difference?

G0Eu7zp.png

Or are there really that many whales that spend bundles, but don't play that much?

When will you ever get tired of your "WoWS playerbase is declining,WoWS is dying" mantra? It's getting old.

Every single thread you enter, no matter what topic is being discussed, you always keep on preaching "playerbase is dead". Like OK, so? How many years are you proclaiming that, and yet the game still keeps on going?

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

@Skuggsja I suspect they may limit the snowflake knock off bonus to once per ship no matter how often one resets the line since the ships get the research points bonus with a win every time they are reset. Also unless you have many millions of Free XP, convertible ship xp and cash for doubloons you wont be resetting lines very often.

In the PT it is cheap and easy. I suspect with the update cheap and easy will go away and once all the saved free xp is exhausted a great deal of cash will be needed to convert saved ship xp.

The grind will be the same and cost the same after all the saved up stuff is gone.

I have more than 5 lines I can reset and in the Public Test I have done them several times and still have plenty of Free XP and doubloons to do it more today and in the morning.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
8 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

When will you ever get tired of your "WoWS playerbase is declining,WoWS is dying" mantra? It's getting old.

Every single thread you enter, no matter what topic is being discussed, you always keep on preaching "playerbase is dead". Like OK, so? How many years are you proclaiming that, and yet the game still keeps on going?

Can't stand the facts? 

When a game has lost over 50% of it's player base in it's first couple years, you should be concerned.

Spoiler

22AQK5R.png

Actually it's over 60% on the server that actually had a population at one time..

But if you'd rather pretend everything is ok, in a game where they recently tried to push PTW, well good luck with that.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

@awiggin as long as those hardcore players buy doubloons to feed their addiction What difference does it make to you are any of the rest of us?

@RyuuohD_NA You need remember there are always a few who find the cloud in every silver lining. As well as those who want the game to fail so they can say I told you so from their grave.

See there you have it. Another graph that proves nothing other than players come and go everyday just as they have since 2015.

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,208 posts
20,947 battles
10 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Skuggsja I suspect they may limit the snowflake knock off bonus to once per ship no matter how often one resets the line since the ships get the research points bonus with a win every time they are reset. Also unless you have many millions of Free XP, convertible ship xp and cash for doubloons you wont be resetting lines very often.

In the PT it is cheap and easy. I suspect with the update cheap and easy will go away and once all the saved free xp is exhausted a great deal of cash will be needed to convert saved ship xp.

The grind will be the same and cost the same after all the saved up stuff is gone.

I have more than 5 lines I can reset and in the Public Test I have done them several times and still have plenty of Free XP and doubloons to do it more today and in the morning.

For right now it states you can knock them off twice so I'm rolling with that. Perhaps theyll change it but it might remove part of the incentive to regrind the line of they do so. We'll see, because who knows they might just cancel the whole thing they way the give into the playerbase.

I feel like I can work through lines pretty quickly. Of course that's just me, but I dont feel like grinding gets to be a struggle until you're working on Tier 9 and 10. Before that, it's pretty easy to get through the grinds, again in my opinion. My biggest issue used to be that I could get the experience to unlock the ship but never had the credits for the ships and modules. 

Between Mosiac Camos and Leviathan flags, just as an example of the two major experince boosting freebies, I figure it should be a cake walk. It took less than 32 games to go from Soyuz to Kremlin for me, just as an example.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

@Skuggsja I don't see anything at all about any upcoming snowflake knockoff event, but I am aware from the PT that ships in a reset line get the research bonus symbol to knockoff each time they are reset. I suppose they could do the same for other snowflake events in addition to the research bonus symbol. However that will have newer and low ship count players more to cry about unfairness.

In any case I suspect it isn't going to be easy except for those with millions of free xp, convertible ship xp and money for doubloons to use it all. Then once they exhaust that they will be back to grinding the old fashioned way.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
398 posts
8,035 battles
4 hours ago, DeathsStalker said:

That's easy don't reset any lines until after a  snow flake event....

FTFY

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
563 posts
15,026 battles
4 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

What I’ve been wondering is whether they’re doing the supercontainer for each tier 10 like they’ve done the last couple of years?  If they do, will they just award it to you on a reset line?   The way it’s worked before was that you had to play a game in each of your tier 10s.  If you’ve reset and haven’t gotten back to the top of the line yet, you can’t PLAY your tier 10.  

I was actually planning to wait til after the anniversary to start doing any resets for this very reason.   If they’re doing something different this year (like a “snowflake” sort of thing), I haven’t seen it yet.   I admit I am rather notorious for not seeing things though...lol. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,208 posts
4 hours ago, Lert said:

A problem with Research Bureau that I don't think as been discussed yet is, what about snowflake events?

WG likes to hold events where a victory in a ship of tier <X> will yield a certain reward. Steel, coal, tokens, you name it. But if you reset a line, lose your line of ships and WG elects to hold a snowflake event while you're working towards your tier 10 for the second time, you're losing out on the snowflake rewards for all the ships you could've gotten the snowflake reward for if you hadn't reset.

Just more incentive to spend money to speed up the regrind before you miss out.

:Smile_sceptic:

[CCTV2]
Beta Testers
389 posts
7,758 battles
7 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

It stands to reason that they would do the same for the Christmas snowflakes. 

then I would reset all my lines and skip the hassle of the first win of the knock-off 

my premium arsenal is larget enough to enjoy the remainder of WoWS