Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

What to know as a new Audacious captain?

4 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
4,001 posts
6,739 battles

Topic. There seems to be precious little information online about the Audacious. Is she pretty much just a straight follow-on from the capabilities of Implacable? Does she have any particular strengths or weaknesses worth mentioning? I unlocked her tonight, and I'm curious to hear the community's opinion on the ship.

Oh, and because I just unlocked the ship, she's stock AF. Are the Wyverns a big improvement over the Firebrands, and in what order should I unlock them?

Edited by SkaerKrow

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,063 posts

FWIW I'd say :cap_hmm: because things keep changing so much. I like her but what do I know? I haven't played carriers now for a couple of weeks, even though I have all three lines complete. 

Members
101 posts
10,529 battles

I've found that the Audacious is a very nice upgrade from the Implacable, in all aspects.  Larger squadrons, more health, greater alpha striking potential.  The Audacious doesn't suffer in high tier match making like the Implacable often did.  You still need to pay attention to the basics - planning good runs, managing plane inventory, etc. - but its much more comfortable at high tiers.  

I unlocked all of the upgraded planes and use them.  I regretted that decision in the last patch when they nerfed the deceleration - made it too hard to make tight turns and take a second run at DDs with the rockets - but in the current patch it seems to work fine.  

In terms of strengths, I think that her rockets are extremely strong, especially against DDs but really all ships.  A single load out of rocket planes can kill a DD -- 4-7K per strike.  If you're willing to sacrifice a few planes, you can attack cruisers even with DefAA.  For the carpet bombers, you'll want the Demolition Expert skill.  Bombing a BB usually sets 2 fires, and a well planned run can set 4 fires, which forces a repair and then a second run kills it off.  Torpedo attacks now have a third plane, so its a 50% higher alpha than the Implacable.  

My overall WR in the Audacious isn't stellar (48%) but its steadily climbing and in the past month its my ship with my highest WR (85%).  I attribute my improvement to better target selection and better aiming and just overall situational awareness.  And, paying more careful attention to autopilot - I can't tell you how many times I've grounded and then unable to rescue the ship...  

I would also like more commentary on CV play for any ship.  What's the right ratio of team support vs focusing on damage?  How to have the highest impact?  Etc.  For me, a decent game is 2-3 kills and 100K damage, but what does it take to break 200K or 300k?   

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,836 posts
31,231 battles

Audacious is a BIG upgrade IMHO. My preferred T10 CV at the moment. Damage over time is the key, so once you force a repair party follow up as soon as you can. The rockets set fire nicely too.

The biggest improvement is 3 torps per flight with the converging pattern. You do have the hit big or miss big problem, and you need to lead a LOT but you’re already used to that. Dropping DDs or cruisers from behind frequently gets you at least 1 hit. Sometimes you can pull off a cross drop on an ungainly DD - drop from behind to line them up then hit from the side. Even a bow on BB frequently eats at least 1 torp.

The dive bombers take a lot of getting used to, but again you’ve already done that by T10. Learn how to slingshot. You need 9-10 km of lead IME but practice. However, slingshot only works well on stationary or stupid targets because a good player will turn and you really can’t. Don’t be afraid to dive bomb low HP DDs.  Carpet bombing a smoke can generate highly entertaining salt in chat. 

I’ve earned more Witherer medals with Audacious than all other CVs combined (post rework). 

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this