Sign in to follow this  
Iophrix

Has an overworld PvE mode ever been considered?

5 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
3,566 battles

Searched but perhaps wasn't using the right terms but I couldn't if this was asked anywhere else here. -Was wondering whether an overworld mode was considered for world of warships- one where say, they took all the existing maps and stitched them into a large scale overworld- similar to how other mmo type games have done it. You'd just sail from one map to another via an exit border in one of the open water sections.

Most of the land geometry seems to be done with plenty of interesting islands with bases or towns on them that could be used as ports of call to buy consumables or to take missions from.

For avatars you could be given a choice of ship class, whether that's dd/subs for rogue/stealth units, cruisers for general damage, bb for tanking, and carriers for control/support. Perhaps let players create characters by choosing one of these archetypes then allow them to earn  new hull skins/ or weapons upgrades or even salvage weapons, modules, or other upgrades off of 'boss' ships.  I could see it working with small fleets for small group content or with larger fleets for raiding type scenarios as well.

Anyway just wondering if that was ever floated here and if not if anyone happens to know of anything out there that's similar to this? Thanks.

• Confused 1

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@Iophrix The maps are not all the same scale. They increase in size along with the ship tiers. I don't know about others but I have suggested such as this for a version of the game played in real time with no speed/distance scaling with larger fleets. Also with the same scaling and larger fleets.

I see no reason 3x3 9 panel map couldn't be made.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
4,033 posts
11,113 battles
10 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Iophrix The maps are not all the same scale. They increase in size along with the ship tiers. I don't know about others but I have suggested such as this for a version of the game played in real time with no speed/distance scaling with larger fleets. Also with the same scaling and larger fleets.

I see no reason 3x3 9 panel map couldn't be made.

Reminds me of my realistic combat flight simulator days.  Could two, maybe three missions into an evening session.  Takes quite a while to fly to and from a carrier to an inland target...

Members
2 posts
3,566 battles

Ah. Cool! Yes, is was figuring some sort of scaling would need to be done but just a sort of open world where you have a lot of large-scaled maps with themes -could be weather/biome based or roughly based on certain nationalities- with a mission system that rewards items as drops whether they are weapons or whatnot similar to a more conventional mmo.

You'd have a split character sort of- one half would be the custom captain using the same trait lines we currently have and the other half would be the ship itself which would function as the body where you have the hull then slots for all the extras. Say, if you ran a dd archetype- and though it used a USN skin you'd have the ability to mount guns from a French or a German or Russian DD  and then mount IJN torps to come up with some truly wild combinations. I know that isn't how it actually works but having to ability to make those sorts of kit-bashed/hotrodded ships just sort of appeals to me on some level - all while exploring and looking over the world for the next gun, radar, or power plant.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@ExploratorOne Yes I spent many hours with CFS 1, 2 and 3 without using the time compression. A round trip from England to Italy or Spain takes a while. MS Flight sims too.

@Iophrix Perhaps you should write all of that down, make your own game and get filthy rich. I have also suggested we be given or earn points in combat  to start our own single line of custom ships from tier 1 to 10 one of each ship type. Each ship type would be made by choosing a hull from a group of hulls of various purchase point values and hit points. Perhaps 4 choices for tier 1. Then a choice of superstructures, power plants and weapons. Construction would take time as points are earned, used and more earned. Also the parts to be chosen from those of any nations current ships. Such as a Hermelin with Erie guns and a Chegan power plant.  Each part of a ship would have to be researched then purchased as are the current ones. This would be a long term endeavor and add a great deal of variety.

Sign in to follow this