You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zuga_01

Is Gearing outdated?

32 comments in this topic

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

The resurgence of CV's has made USN DD's a bit more popular. The Gearing is a good DD. But only just good... it lacks some of the vital things other DD's have eclipsed it with. Like hydro. It's not the King of gunboats. Or torp-boats. Or sniper DD's. Or AA DD's. It's just... good. Not excellent.

I wouldn't say it's outdated though exactly. It has roles it does well at. Torps and smoke for example. AA...

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
77 posts
7,410 battles

You guys are all wrong, the Gearing after this buff is a very relevant DD now.

It's model is outdated, but she is so good right now.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,661 posts
9,788 battles

Gearing used to be the DD you least wanted to get into a shot range knife fight with.  The one possible exception would be Z-52 since that ship can deploy smoke and hydro.  But now Jutland and Harugumo are superior knife fighters, and both Russian DDs, I presume Kleber, and even Shima are better choices for a long-range gunfight.  Gearing's torpedoes are good but I'd put them behind shimakaze.  It's got good smoke, which is nice but also mostly means you're going to be overly temped to sit there too long and get radared or torped. 

1 minute ago, _Prometh3us said:

You guys are all wrong, the Gearing after this buff is a very relevant DD now.

It's model is outdated, but she is so good right now.

What buff?  The last buff to the Gearing I remember was giving it the ability to use Fletcher torps a while back.  Am I forgetting something?

• Boring 1

Members
2,566 posts
93 battles

Gearing is average. She's not good at everything, but she's not bad at everything either. 

Played properly, she still can do fine in the current meta.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,299 battles

Only if you want it to be just as any other ship of any tier.

[RLGN]
Members
12,284 posts
22,028 battles
18 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

...Harugumo (a) superior knife fighter...

Pffftt...

Superior knife fighter? You jest.

Harugumo is an unmanuverable pig.

Is it a superior DPS Killer? That, it is.

Perhaps the difference is in the eye of the beholder; but to me, there is a difference.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,152 posts

Gearing has

• Excellent concealment at 5.6 km sea/2.6 km air
  • 22,900 hit-points if spec'd right, can tank one or even two torpedoes
  • Excellent 16.5 km range torps so that you can torp outside of radar/hydro range
  • A long lasting smoke screen
  • Rapid-firing guns that can cause a lot of damage with IFHE to cruisers at high tiers (IFHE may be nerfed though)
  • Almost always can out-gun a Shimakaze in a brawl
  • Has respectable AA and, as long as it's spec'd with Defensive AA, is capable of defending itself against air attack

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 4

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,916 posts
10,614 battles

Gearing just shows her age being one of the first lines in the game. When things like open water stealth firing was a thing etc.  

Ps wait for them to add the USN sumner class aka YY

[R-F]
Members
1,661 posts
9,788 battles

38 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Superior knife fighter? You jest.

Harugumo is an unmanuverable pig.

Is it a superior DPS Killer? That, it is.

Perhaps the difference is in the eye of the beholder; but to me, there is a difference.

I'd argue that Harugumo's insane ROF and HP pool make up for the maneuverability issues.  It would require a pretty considerable skill difference for a Gearing player to beat a Harugumo player in a gunfight at any range. 

15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Gearing has

Probably should mention here that it only achieves this detection range with the use of the legendary module, in which case you must suffer the associated penalties to gun and torpedo reload speed.

• Boring 1

[AFK-2]
Members
46 posts
1,640 battles

The American dd line is supposed to be a jack of all trades, master of none line of ships, though Gearing does excel at:

-Knife fighting (faaaaaast turrets + good RoF)

-Being a torp boat (especially with the long legged 16.5 km fish)

-HE SPAAAAAMM (IFHE is good). Lobbing shells over islands is her specialty. Long duration smoke helps with this too.

-Spotting enemy ships...

-HP is actually pretty good. Gearing might even be able to tank two torps with Survivability expert. 

-Average speed and AA capability helps her keep up with the rest of the tier X dds.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coming from a rookie player (1.2k games), this is just my two cents in the conversation.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,191 posts
4,464 battles

Needs a small overall buff and mobility buff. Also it should be able to mount Speed boost and Def AA. Edit; Oh yeah and a remodel so it's actually the right size...

A slight buff to the Fletcher would also be good.

Edited by Stand_Alone97
  • Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
942 posts
10,617 battles
36 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Gearing has

• 22,900 hit-points if spec'd right, can tank one or even two torpedoes
  • Excellent 16.5 km range torps so that you can torp outside of radar/hydro range
  • A long lasting smoke screen
  • Rapid-firing guns that can cause a lot of damage with IFHE to cruisers at high tiers (IFHE may be nerfed though)
  • Almost always can out-gun a Shimakaze in a brawl
  • Has respectable AA and, as long as it's spec'd with Defensive AA, is capable of defending itself against air attack

Pretty much this. Great close range guns although Jutland is now better. Best torps I’m game imo. Fast, hit fairly hard and have beyond radar range. 

Hydro would make it super strong. Honestly other dds need tricks to keep up with what gearing. It’s a perfect hybrid. 

[POP]
Members
1,528 posts
19,098 battles

Gearings still a good boat in my opinion, depends on the format she is playing in as well.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,758 posts
10,144 battles

i think Gearing is just like the other high tier USN DDs, a jack of all trades DD, able to do just about everything asked of a DD and do it well, being part of one of the first nations brought into the game, she's definitely aged and probably been power-crept by other DDs, but all in all, she's a decent destroyer to have on your team 

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
77 posts
7,410 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Gearing used to be the DD you least wanted to get into a shot range knife fight with.  The one possible exception would be Z-52 since that ship can deploy smoke and hydro.  But now Jutland and Harugumo are superior knife fighters, and both Russian DDs, I presume Kleber, and even Shima are better choices for a long-range gunfight.  Gearing's torpedoes are good but I'd put them behind shimakaze.  It's got good smoke, which is nice but also mostly means you're going to be overly temped to sit there too long and get radared or torped. 

What buff?  The last buff to the Gearing I remember was giving it the ability to use Fletcher torps a while back.  Am I forgetting something?

It's torp reload was reduced immensely in this lastest update. Very good now.

93.3 Sec reload is insane for them.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,284 posts
22,028 battles
43 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I'd argue that Harugumo's insane ROF and HP pool make up for the maneuverability issues.  It would require a pretty considerable skill difference for a Gearing player to beat a Harugumo player in a gunfight at any range.

Nothing wrong with that, and any Gearing that tried would deserve to lose.

A Gearing needs to leverage terrain and spotting by someone else and torp a Haru to death.

Members
1,653 posts
10,026 battles

I would say its ok.  Not great, not terrible.  It tends to shine in events that have a lot of teamwork thanks to its DFAA, long range torps, and long lasting smoke.  Though i personally would say the YY smoke screens are better because of they are longish lasting but go away and recharge quick enough to keep up with the flow, and more of them to use.(that aside, the YY is really meh)  Pretty much every DD line not using US DD guns has better guns.  They tend to have better practical DPM in all but close range.(with several DDs being as good if not better in CQC DPM )  US shells tend to just float in the air past 7km while others can return more accurate fire with ease.  You can make them work, just tougher.  The torps are some of the best in the game.  They are in the sweet spot damage, range, and detection wise. 

I wouldn't be against a turning radius buff, and or giving it both speed boost and DFAA in separate slots. 

You can tell the US DDs are one of the first lines in the game. 

Members
11 posts
6,510 battles

I did not know the gearing had a torp reload buff, but that would help it out a lot.  I think what causes people problems is the Gearing used to be king of the short-ranged gunfights.  It isn't any more, so it has to be played a little closer to the rest of the fleet.  Between the radar and the hydro, the smoke advantage is really best served by using it to screen for the rest of the fleet.  It has gotten harder to contest and hold caps, especially against some of the newer DDs.  It has really turned into more of a support ship than one capable of holding its own, which doesn't make it a bad ship, but it keeps it from being a good ship.  And the damage from the guns is very inconsistent.  The guns on Gearing should do more damage per shell than some of the others, but they don't.  Give it a little speed boost, a turning radius buff, or the option to have hydro/radar/or repair, and it is a little more formidable.  Played as a support vessel, it doesn't generally earn enough credits or XP to make it worth playing.