Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Longusername150

Which one?Atlanta or Enterprise?

28 comments in this topic

[WORX]
Members
7,024 posts
16,417 battles

Looking for fun... Get the ATL

Looking for a bruising .... Get the Sky cancer...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,858 posts
13,923 battles

Do you like play one over-nerfed-class and get in botton tier almost ever single match? Take the enterprise.

If you want hug islands and dakka dakka HE take atlanta.

Members
2,968 posts
10,902 battles

ATL. I wouldnt buy a CV with the rework still in progress. I honestly felt bad for the people who got tricked into buying them early in the CV rework process. If you know anything about how balance cycles go in vidya games go, it was very predictable. 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,265 posts
7,152 battles

Enterprise is one of the few CVs I'd still call perfectly usable till they are buffed. Her planes regen much faster than other CVs, so losses don't matter as much. Her AP bombs have the highest alpha of any AP bombs, but less penetration. Her planes turn super well even compared to Lexington, so her ability to hit multiple times is amazing.

All that said, her planes are on the slower side. Yes, that's my only complaint.

Atlanta is... well... Atlanta. She's amazing in the right hands. Are you the right hands? Get her. If not, you will hate her most likely, as she's among the hardest ships to play.

Members
2,487 posts
4,169 battles

Enterprise is the top of the CV bunch right now at T8 but the Atlanta IS a lot of fun.  Both of these come with caveats,  though.  For the Enterprise its the obvious,  its a CV which is a different play-style and right now they are in flux.  For the Atlanta,  she's thrives on sitting behind islands away from any sort of punishment and raining down fire in a fairly short range.  

Personally I'd say the Enterprise,  but if CV's aren't your thing then the Atlanta is still a fair blast to play.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,361 posts
4,438 battles
19 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Enterprise is one of the few CVs I'd still call perfectly usable till they are buffed. Her planes regen much faster than other CVs, so losses don't matter as much. Her AP bombs have the highest alpha of any AP bombs, but less penetration. Her planes turn super well even compared to Lexington, so her ability to hit multiple times is amazing.

All that said, her planes are on the slower side. Yes, that's my only complaint.

Atlanta is... well... Atlanta. She's amazing in the right hands. Are you the right hands? Get her. If not, you will hate her most likely, as she's among the hardest ships to play.

This is what you should listen to OP.

Enterprise is still a very strong ship and doesn't require a 14pt captain. Atlanta needs AFT and IFHE to really shine. That and it has a high skill floor. Think like a radar Mino. With HE.

Edited by Sumseaman

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,367 posts
11,739 battles

Apples and Oranges.

Enterprise is still one of the more usable premium CV's, she's pretty resistant to nerfing with her high plane regen, and she can do everything a CV needs to do. GZ is in a similar boat with her plane speed, Saipan and Kaga got the short end of the stick with bad regen and small airwing size, or bad regen and very fragile planes. Also, there's a lot of history with her if you're into that. There's also the mindless CV hate to deal with.

Atlanta, I'm not much of a fan of her, I've seen people do well in her, I've also seen people get splattered in her. There's also a fair amount of hate of her, as for most players she's a one trick pony, hide and spam HE/fires until someone forces you from your hiding spot to kill you. Not as much history, and for better or worse she's not Juneau.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,581 posts
10,416 battles
42 minutes ago, Longusername150 said:

Well its either the enterprise or grind for Lexington lol

Which ill get lexington soon.

If you're that close to Lexington, get her first and get yourself a taste of T8 CV play before putting money down on Enterprise. Of note, if you haven't yet done the Honorable Service campaign, having a T8 carrier offers you a very rapid shortcut through the entirety of Mission 4 (when you eventually get there) except of course for that final task to unlock mission 5.

Atlanta is a lot of fun, and offers an easy way to rack up main battery hits and fires for directive tasks in co-op. Get Atlanta before Enterprise; I think you will probably get more long-term utility out of it. I have Atlanta, and quite frankly if someone offered me the Enterprise as a direct exchange for her I don't think I'd take it. Much as I love carriers, I consider the Atlanta a more useful ship all round.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
159 posts
6,068 battles

OP

I will have to disagree with my cosmic horror clanmate, with one huge caveat.  Atlanta is a very fun ship, and is very unique, with only a few comparable ships with similar playstyle (And all of those higher tier than her).  Her guns are very floaty, but if you are comfortable with US DD shells, you'll be comfortable with them.  Her citadel is very hit-able, but it's not the worst.  She's small and nimble enough that you can dodge shots, but you really don't want to.  Her torpedoes are only good for ambushes, so don't expect to use them much at all.  

She is also ~amazing~ at Narai and great for grinding.

As others have said, her weakness is a high skill floor, as she depends on damage over time and fires.  Her captain needs some serious investment (and to be honest, I have a dedicated Atlanta captain, myself).  Her health is relatively low, and she needs to be handled with care or she will be punished.  And, on top of that, she still is one of the weakest T7 premiums in general.  People hate her, but she's a ship whose reputation is better than her performance.

However, one thing I'd caution against: IFHE is going through some changes, and these may impact Atlanta, as a lot of her damage with IFHE is derived from hits.  You can play without, but you have to be a lot more selective about your targets in general and will have to depend more on fires.  If this is a concern, I'd caution against getting her, as her effectiveness may be reduced even more.

-

As for Enterprise, Shoggy answered most of her good points.  And Enterprise has been good to her since she got it, so overall,  I see why she is very fond of the aircraft carrier.

-

As for which to get: I see you mostly play coop of some sort and very rarely venture into random.  As such, my advice would be this:

Do you want to primarily use her in coop and in scenarios?  If so, get Atlanta.  (But mind the IFHE change caveat)

Do you want to try her for random and have a very good CV to learn carrier play?  Get Enterprise.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
886 posts
6,751 battles

Atlanta, it's great in it's niche.  Once you learn it is good in all game modes as well.  Played carefully it can be a real thorn in the red team's side in PVP. In Coop it eats DDs like candy. In operations it can be downright silly.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[WOLF5]
Members
3,004 posts
3,304 battles

Unless you're a good CV player, take Atlanta. Atlanta is a fun ship, in which you will usually do badly. But you will have fun.

If you're looking for a solid premium in which to grind credits, XP, train a captain, whatever, look for another ship. Both of your choices are specialized ships. But the CV is only those who already enjoy and do well in CVs at T8 and 10.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,265 posts
7,152 battles
49 minutes ago, Longusername150 said:

Well its either the enterprise or grind for Lexington lol

Which ill get lexington soon.

There are key differences between Lexington and Enterprise that make me call them wildly different. They are my two favorite CVs, easily, though Audacious is a contender as well.

Lexington's HE bombs are deadly against DDs that make unwise choices or otherwise 100% ignore you. They are also quite effective against anything, really. They are a ghost of their former self, but cruisers will hate you.

Enterprise's AP bombs are easily the most consistent AP bombs at any tier, and their alpha damage can reach number considerably higher than even Hakuryu... you have twice as many bombs dropping, and these things can dev strike ships with a bit of luck. You are the slasher film killer in the eyes of cruisers you can get a good hit on. Only issue is they are a last resort weapon against DDs. Like, last, last. I'd use torps before I'd use these. I've killed DDs with them before, and is was painful to get even a couple thousand damage in. Why did I? I was local and they were low. Worth the effort, but only just.

Enterprise has a fighter consumable no other CV can hope to match, even at T10. If planes bumble into her super sized fighter bubble, they will lose around 10 planes, if memory serves.

Enterprise's rockets are worse than Lexington's... to a degree. She has HVAR only and they are T6 planes if memory serves. However, she gets 4 sets of 3, making it hard to stop them from doing their work, and making them regen silly fast. With good aim, you can even chunk BBs with them.

But, best of all, she gets my favorite CV torps: Lexington's. These are not the horrible excuse for torps that Midway gets. These can do work, and do it well.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,361 posts
4,438 battles
17 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Enterprise's AP bombs are easily the most consistent AP bombs at any tier, and their alpha damage can reach number considerably higher than even Hakuryu... you have twice as many bombs dropping, and these things can dev strike ships with a bit of luck. You are the slasher film killer in the eyes of cruisers you can get a good hit on. Only issue is they are a last resort weapon against DDs. Like, last, last. I'd use torps before I'd use these. I've killed DDs with them before, and is was painful to get even a couple thousand damage in. Why did I? I was local and they were low. Worth the effort, but only just.

Yes. OP would you like to see some red cruiser that has you spotted and is shooting you instead of the numerous others say in chat 'CV wth? Reported' as it gets blapped by 4 AP bombs to the cit? Enterprise is for you. I think I made a Stalingrad player smash up his keyboard pre nerf with this thing.

The rocket spread from the Hellcats is very nasty too. To DDs and CLs really.

Edited by Sumseaman

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

I'd go Enterprise personally. Depends on whether you want to grind the USN CV or cruiser lines.

0.8.7 will be out soon and the CV's squadrons will survive a bit better. But the Atlanta is kinda... fun... but meh too... depends on the matchmaking.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,462 posts
17,994 battles
1 hour ago, CanadianArmoured said:

Haida   have fun pushing same tier DDs around

Atlanta, and have fun pushing ALL tiers of DDs around.

[SIM]
Members
4,319 posts
7,329 battles

Between the two, I’d honestly go with Enterprise. She’s a solid workhorse carrier, and all three of her squadron types have real value. Atlanta is memes, sweet, sweet memes. When she works, she’s fierce, and when she doesn’t, she’s flotsam. At any rate, they’re both worth owning, so you can’t really make a wrong decision here. 

[N-W-T]
Members
1,920 posts
7,575 battles

I'm in the anti-CV cabal, so I wouldn't recommend any sky cancer ships.

I don't have the Atlanta, but do have the Flint... basically the same thing, radar vs. smoke.  The ship is a blast.  In addition to the high skill floor, you basically have to have an 18 point captain to be effective.  You need IFHE, CE, and AFT in that order. You're going to be focused as soon as you're spotted, getting damage without being spotted/getting killed can be hard to come by sometimes, so as a newer player it might be rough at first. 

• Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
7,024 posts
16,417 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You need IFHE, CE, and AFT in that order.

Do You use DE or SI for extra smoke ?

[N-W-T]
Members
1,920 posts
7,575 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Do You use DE or SI for extra smoke ?

Honestly I mostly play the Flint in coop to quickly grind out the first daily mission chain.  It's almost OP in PvE with the smoke and long range torps. 

I run DE because you can rarely use all consumables in a match, and since bots damacon instantly, fires are more valuable as subsequent ones burn full duration.  For randoms I would go SI for the extra smoke.  

Sign in to follow this