Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Florendo19

How might ASW work

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

119
[RNDM]
Members
335 posts
6,384 battles

So I was wondering how ASW would be added  to existing ships. It has been noted many times on this forum that many ship models include depth charges. There are however several other forms of ASW weapons that could be available to the time period of WOWS.

DD: The most notable weapons for DDs would be hedgehog or squid like forward launchers on allied ships. I would propose that some DDs be given the choice to choose a ASW role by selecting a different hull that sacrifices a gun turret for a launcher and gets a sonar consumable (because I assume this will be a consumable)

CV: Those odd tier CVs can make a comeback with FIDO air droped homing torpedoes and Sonobuoys as additions to their ASW capabilities

BB: Ramming seems like the best option here but BBs with aircraft handling capabilities may be able to trade a spotter or fighter for ASW planes. Of course, while using this ASW aircraft, the ship would act like a CV hull on auto pilot and the plane would be controlled like CV planes.

CA/CL: Some have depth charges but ramming could also be an option. Again Cruisers with aircraft handling capabilities could have ASW aircraft like BBs. IJN Tone class CAs could be an interesting development here

DE: While Destroyer Escorts are not currently part of the game, they were generally the most specialized ASW ships. While they would have the weakest anti ship armament, they would have powerful ASW capabilities and probably slightly lower than DD concealment. 

Convoy Modes: WG has previously mentioned that they are testing two Convoy modes on the Dev blog on August 1, 2019. I think these modes would be made especially for Subs and ASW. Here is the post from the Dev blog


ST, game modes.

There will be a closed test of two new game modes. They both are based on the idea of escorting of the allied convoy of bot ships. Please note that these are conceptions of the game modes and their rules may change significantly.

In the 'Convoys A' mode both teams have the same objective - be the first to escort the indestructible bot ship from the team spawn to the destination point on the fixed route. The ship moves by itself, but if the allies are nearby, they will slowly regenerate HP and the bot will move faster.

Any player's ship, except aircraft carriers, can, after being destroyed, respawn near the convoy route a maximum of twice per battle. The routes are symmetrical and there are parts when teams have to come close to each other. Teams are composed of 6, 7 or 12 players.

There are two rounds in the 'Convoys B' mode.

In the first round, one of the teams (defenders) escorts the convoy of three armed ships along the fixed route. The task of the attacking team is to destroy these ships in a limited time. Teams change their objectives in the second round. The team that escorts their ship further than the opposition wins the battle.

The player's ship respawns after being destroyed. The attackers respawn faster and may choose one of the spawn points, and defenders get back into battle near the convoy. If there are ships of the defending team near the convoy ships, then both they and the convoy regenerate their HP. Both teams consist of 7 players.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

No photo description available.
No photo description available.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
272
[WOLFC]
Members
626 posts
22,706 battles
40 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

CV: Those odd tier CVs can make a comeback with FIDO air droped homing torpedoes and Sonobuoys as additions to their ASW capabilities

OMG I hope sonobuoys make it into the game. First thing I'll do is drop one in some DD's smoke to light her up so all my friends can sink her.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
119
[RNDM]
Members
335 posts
6,384 battles
2 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

OMG I hope sonobuoys make it into the game. First thing I'll do is drop one in some DD's smoke to light her up so all my friends can sink her.

 

You know, I had not thought about that but it sounds like a doable thing and is certainly less um inflammatory than can of worms that would be radar equipped aircraft in game. Of course the primary purpose for the Sonobuoys would be ASW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
272
[WOLFC]
Members
626 posts
22,706 battles
23 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:
30 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

OMG I hope sonobuoys make it into the game. First thing I'll do is drop one in some DD's smoke to light her up so all my friends can sink her.

 

You know, I had not thought about that but it sounds like a doable thing and is certainly less um inflammatory than can of worms that would be radar equipped aircraft in game. Of course the primary purpose for the Sonobuoys would be ASW.

My suggestion was made tongue in cheek. I think sonobuoys wouldn't be a good idea for the very reason I cite. Were sonobuoys even a thing until after WW2 anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229
Alpha Tester
1,406 posts
557 battles
11 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

My suggestion was made tongue in cheek. I think sonobuoys wouldn't be a good idea for the very reason I cite. Were sonobuoys even a thing until after WW2 anyway?

Don't see why they wouldn't be in the game, other wise Aircraft have no way of detecting submerged Sub's. Likewise Subs also had decoy bouys that could fool Sonar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[LEGIT]
Members
2,073 posts
28,287 battles

I imagine it would be more exciting to watch paint dry than hunt subs.

It'll make the new CV scouting role seem dashing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,623
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,466 posts
18,018 battles
23 minutes ago, Xplato said:

Don't see why they wouldn't be in the game, other wise Aircraft have no way of detecting submerged Sub's. Likewise Subs also had decoy bouys that could fool Sonar.

Submarine spotting aircraft, mostly B-24 Liberators converted for long-range, over-water flights and blimps, could spot submarines under-water at depths of up to 200 feet if conditions were right during the Second World War. Sonobuoys, first used by the British in 1942, were 6 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter, needed their batteries changed regularly and required a human operator who had to distinguish between regular ocean noises and enemy subs. To say the ones used in WW2 were unreliable would be a horrendous understatement. No subs during WW2 had decoy buoys to fool Allied sonobuoys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Members
232 posts
3,896 battles
1 hour ago, Rumple010 said:

My suggestion was made tongue in cheek.

Then you forgot the /s

Don't underestimate the number of salty noob cv players here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
272
[WOLFC]
Members
626 posts
22,706 battles

If sonobuoys became a thing in the game, how should they work? Presumably CV planes would drop them. How many before the squadron has to return to the ship? Is that all the squadron carries so the CV player has to make a decision, light up subs or do damage to ships. If planes can carry ordinance in addition to sonobuoys, how do you prevent them from nullifying the value of smoke? Can you imagine the cries of anguish from every DD driver (besides drivers of French DDs) when you tell them smoking up will do jack squat when a CV is hunting them. So much for capping when a CV is in the game. 

Come to think of it, that point applies whether or not planes can carry ordinance in addition to sonobuoys. It's just if a CV plane can carry both, then it doesn't need to bring a friend to deliver the pain to the DD it lights up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229
Alpha Tester
1,406 posts
557 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Submarine spotting aircraft, mostly B-24 Liberators converted for long-range, over-water flights and blimps, could spot submarines under-water at depths of up to 200 feet if conditions were right during the Second World War. Sonobuoys, first used by the British in 1942, were 6 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter, needed their batteries changed regularly and required a human operator who had to distinguish between regular ocean noises and enemy subs. To say the ones used in WW2 were unreliable would be a horrendous understatement. No subs during WW2 had decoy buoys to fool Allied sonobuoys.

Thats a nice wikipidea qoute you have their too bad it's so unreliable it's not even funny.

WW2 had both active and passive sonar buoy's. both of which could be run with decent efficiency.

 

As for saying no Subs had decoy buoys that's so far beyond incorrect it's not even funny. Sonar was still in it's infancy so anyting could be turned into a decoy buoy during World war 2. The Cookware? Decoy. All you need to create one is something to throw out the torpedo tube and you have a decoy buoy. This wouldn't work later on, but Early sonar Had difficulty differing from a sub and random objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,623
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,466 posts
18,018 battles
2 hours ago, Xplato said:

WW2 had both active and passive sonar buoy's. both of which could be run with decent efficiency.

I'm from Missouri ….. SHOW ME!

2 hours ago, Xplato said:

As for saying no Subs had decoy buoys that's so far beyond incorrect it's not even funny. Sonar was still in it's infancy so anyting could be turned into a decoy buoy during World war 2. The Cookware? Decoy. All you need to create one is something to throw out the torpedo tube and you have a decoy buoy. This wouldn't work later on, but Early sonar Had difficulty differing from a sub and random objects.

You mean like those WW@ era sonobuoys which needed human operators to function? Jesus, at least I have some documentation for my side, all you have is "I SAID SO!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,168
[WOLFB]
Members
3,078 posts
12,831 battles

ASW will be something automated.

 

If they implement a manual ASW (something that would be skill based) it would "increase the amount of micro management you need to do" and we already know what WG think about manual AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,160
[_-_]
Members
2,746 posts
7,759 battles

Hydro for detection and some kind of consumable AoE "Depth Charge Pattern" clicky similar to Defensive AA would be my guess. But what the hell do I know? We're so far lost in La La Land now anything is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,255
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,218 posts
12,944 battles

Ask a friend to take a ship into training room with you, have them run away at half speed and chase him and try to ram them, repeatedly. 

That's what the short-range depth charge based suggestions will work out as in-game. 

Take a reading book and a cup of coffee too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×