You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Repairman_Jack

New Carrier mechanics - bombers only firing one bomb/torpedo?

25 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
433 battles

Hi all, I've been away from WoW for a long time.  Still getting used to the new carrier rework.  One problem I'm having is that when making an attack run with either torpedo or dive bombers, no matter how many planes I have in a squadron, I'm only getting one torpedo or bomb per attack run.  What am I doing wrong?

[LOIN]
Supertester
713 posts

Actually depends on the carrier you're using. Example if you're using the Ranger, it get two torpedo bombers for each run. That means you drop two torpedos each run you make with the squadron. For dive bombers, it uses 3 dive bombers per a run. For the dive bombers it carries I think 2 bombs per plane, so drops in total 6 bombs in one run. 

I hope that helps clarify some things 

Edited by Starfleet1701

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

Tier 4 CV squads drop 1 bomb/torp at a time 6 and 8 2 and 3 and 10 gets 4

The CV rework is garbage

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,000 posts
20,882 battles

Tier IV CVs barely have any ordnance to drop to begin with.

Get in higher tier CVs and your attack group gets larger and you'll drop more rockets / bombs / torpedoes.

[RLGN]
Members
12,319 posts
22,076 battles
Just now, CAPTMUDDXX said:

The CV rework is garbage

...and the dumpster it’s in is on fire? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,319 posts
22,076 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Get in higher tier CVs and your attack group gets larger and you'll drop more rockets / bombs / torpedoes.

True enough.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,623 posts
10,887 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not simply on fire but on fire with radioactive materials. Current Wargaming Stance -

4TeO9Ht.jpg

• Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,988 posts
16,620 battles

T4 s currently drop only one torpedo to discourage people from using them to seal club.

Next patch some drop two. T6 scaling is also much better.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,648 posts
13,013 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The tier 4 CV's are getting an increase in the size of their torpedo squadrons in the next patch and will drop two torpedoes at a time making them much more useful.

[NUWES]
Members
2,714 posts
8,685 battles
2 hours ago, Repairman_Jack said:

Hi all, I've been away from WoW for a long time.  Still getting used to the new carrier rework.  One problem I'm having is that when making an attack run with either torpedo or dive bombers, no matter how many planes I have in a squadron, I'm only getting one torpedo or bomb per attack run.  What am I doing wrong?

That's just the T4s. As others have said that is being buffed. Higher tier CVs drop more. Sometimes a lot more. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,873 posts
14,007 battles

High the tier, more bombs/torps youdrop.

2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

The CV rework is garbage

Yes.

[XXX]
Members
444 posts
1,081 battles

CV are massively over nerfed right now. And it is about to get worse here pretty soon once Unlimtied Non restriction DFAA is added to the game.  No matter how you slice it.  What is sad is there is next to no counter weight being added to fix this. just 1 or 2 more bombers per cv at the start of a battle, completely ignoring what the devs are doing.  I no longer think the devs are listening to CV drivers about how absurd AA is.  Unless I play a audacious, I almost never see planes return from attacks unless its near the end of the game. There is no height immunity or negation of AA damage which is skyrocketting.  CV take far more effort then any other class at this point to do well and not get completely gutted in my opinion, as even the slightest brush with a AA curtain usually garuntees' plane deaths, which will get much worse here soon. And of course, the costs of running a CV are about to explode...

• Boring 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,873 posts
14,007 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

On fire and with graphene

[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

The tier 4 CV's are getting an increase in the size of their torpedo squadrons in the next patch and will drop two torpedoes at a time making them much more useful.

I must have missed that announcement. Doesn't matter much - I'm already through the Hosho, had Ranger when the rework dropped and got Furious in the RN CV event - but it does mean I might go puddle around in the Hermes from time to time.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu Yea all the CVs I have used in the PT have changes to the plane counts. Not that it helps, even bot AA and CV fighters decimate your planes. Getting even 10k damage is a chore at tier 10.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
812 posts
4,450 battles
1 hour ago, Formous said:

CV are massively over nerfed right now. And it is about to get worse here pretty soon once Unlimtied Non restriction DFAA is added to the game.  No matter how you slice it.  What is sad is there is next to no counter weight being added to fix this. just 1 or 2 more bombers per cv at the start of a battle, completely ignoring what the devs are doing.  I no longer think the devs are listening to CV drivers about how absurd AA is.  Unless I play a audacious, I almost never see planes return from attacks unless its near the end of the game. There is no height immunity or negation of AA damage which is skyrocketting.  CV take far more effort then any other class at this point to do well and not get completely gutted in my opinion, as even the slightest brush with a AA curtain usually garuntees' plane deaths, which will get much worse here soon. And of course, the costs of running a CV are about to explode...

Agree, as far as I understand 8.7 nerfs some of the super AA ships like Des Moines, Kidd, etc and buffs some of the weak ones, for ex IJN. At least, it's what I understand. I understand AA to be too dense when attacking a group of ships, but have a single DD destroying a full squadron in seconds is a nonsense, I can even see that now the super AA do not even bother when a squadron nearby, they are "aircraft immune". The whole idea of a plane attack besides damaging is also push the player to change course, or spotting the ship so friends target the ship otherwise concealed... Fly over a Kidd, drop fighters, 3 seconds later, no fighters, flying around, 5 seconds later, F... Kidd is a DD... We can even see ships almost dying with a full super AA. The thing is burning, half of the crew is dead, but AA still works!

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,863 posts
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Ensign_Cthulhu Yea all the CVs I have used in the PT have changes to the plane counts. Not that it helps, even bot AA and CV fighters decimate your planes. Getting even 10k damage is a chore at tier 10.

The AA on the public test server is less aggressive that the live server right now. 

I ran a bunch of CV games last night for my clan's naval battles to get the points and the AA is crazier than it was before the buff but it's not so bad you can't get damage in.  Here is are some examples from last night in randoms from T10.  Now granted, these were pretty decent games but getting 10K damage is not a chore.

shot-19.08.16_18.25.24-0616.jpg

shot-19.08.16_17.21.40-0760.jpg

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@Burnsy I have been on the PT several hours since Thursday and haven't gotten a random yet in any tier with any ship.

As far as CV v AA goes you have your opinion based on your experience and I mine. WG will never get this CV rework straight. A complete waste of time. Garbage in Garbage out.

[A-D-F]
5,863 posts
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Burnsy I have been on the PT several hours since Thursday and haven't gotten a random yet in any tier with any ship.

As far as CV v AA goes you have your opinion based on your experience and I mine. WG will never get this CV rework straight. A complete waste of time. Garbage in Garbage out.

If you don't like the CVs, cool.  Lots of people don't. 

Something isn't an opinion when you post proof though.  They are not the best at the moment, I agree, but saying it's difficult to 10K damage in a T10 CV is a bit of stretch.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,648 posts
13,013 battles
2 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Agree, as far as I understand 8.7 nerfs some of the super AA ships like Des Moines, Kidd, etc and buffs some of the weak ones, for ex IJN. At least, it's what I understand. I understand AA to be too dense when attacking a group of ships, but have a single DD destroying a full squadron in seconds is a nonsense, I can even see that now the super AA do not even bother when a squadron nearby, they are "aircraft immune". The whole idea of a plane attack besides damaging is also push the player to change course, or spotting the ship so friends target the ship otherwise concealed... Fly over a Kidd, drop fighters, 3 seconds later, no fighters, flying around, 5 seconds later, F... Kidd is a DD... We can even see ships almost dying with a full super AA. The thing is burning, half of the crew is dead, but AA still works!

Even before 8.0 hit I brought up that AA should degrade as the ship takes damage.

1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

The AA on the public test server is less aggressive that the live server right now. 

I ran a bunch of CV games last night for my clan's naval battles to get the points and the AA is crazier than it was before the buff but it's not so bad you can't get damage in.  Here is are some examples from last night in randoms from T10.  Now granted, these were pretty decent games but getting 10K damage is not a chore.

I found it to be less punishing for tier 4 & 6 but just as bad for tier 8 & 10.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
812 posts
4,450 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

found it to be less punishing for tier 4 & 6 but just as bad for tier 8 & 10

Did they balanced it? The problem are those AA immune CLs who then can sail or worst, stay hidden behind a rock... without caring about planes. Being targeted by several ships AA and destroyed is same as a DD... Destruction. But by one single ship...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,648 posts
13,013 battles
9 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Did they balanced it? The problem are those AA immune CLs who then can sail or worst, stay hidden behind a rock... without caring about planes. Being targeted by several ships AA and destroyed is same as a DD... Destruction. But by one single ship...

No clue because I was only able to get same tier matches in co-op on the PT but same tier was still nasty as all get out for tier 8 & 10.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@franz_von_goltz No 8.7 will not have CV v AA balanced. It is only different. CVs get a few more planes in a squad and a single ships AA gets to decimate them just as easily as they have been since 8.0.

CV plane strikes v AA will never be balanced. The CV rework is a putrid pile of garbage.

[A-D-F]
5,863 posts
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@franz_von_goltz No 8.7 will not have CV v AA balanced. It is only different. CVs get a few more planes in a squad and a single ships AA gets to decimate them just as easily as they have been since 8.0.

The patch notes explain the changes in a little more detail.  Layered AA was changed, for DFAA the DOT effect was reduced but effectiveness of flak increased, making flying skill more beneficial.  The attack heights were lowered (which is a buff for the CV), the sight stabilization skill will be more effective etc etc.  It's a complicated change and some play style changes may be needed to take advantage of them.

The full notes can be found here:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-087/

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,334 battles

@Burnsy I read the notes and what they say means little since the CV v AA in the PT is still a putrid pile of garbage along with the rest of the CV rework.