You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
brym7

Sub Tech Tree Predictions

13 comments in this topic

[TWFT2]
Beta Testers
347 posts
5,478 battles

So Subs are coming to WoWs. It was always inevitable after the Halloween event, just a matter of when. Though I do worry what wrench this can throw into the works of the game, it is best to think about what it can be as I would be lying to say if it was done well it is an exciting prospect. So here are my thoughts on what we're going to get.

The German and American trees are going to be first ones out, which is fitting given the number of subs they both built.

To start on the Germans, being perhaps the most famous/infamous fleet of subs, we may see some WW1 or costal sub designs at the low tier, though how many can depend on what tier subs start at as it is doubtful they'll start on one. Perhaps a type II Uboat somewhere at the start. At mid-tier or high-mid, I suspect we'll see the type VII, being the most common WW2 design and most famous. Close to top, 8 or 9, we can see the Type IX curser submarine and Tier X will be the Type XXI Elektroboot.

The Americans will probably see the bottom tiers filed up by S-boat designs with the named classes coming in at low-mid tier starting with the V-boat Narwhal followed by Porpoise. We may or may not see some variety of the Salmon, Sargo, Tambor, and Mackerel. The top tiers can be the Gato and Balao depending on which later designs WG wants to include. Tier X can be the Tench class of subs, but can go as high as the Barracuda or Tang. The AA-1-class subs could possibly fit in, but perhaps their large size and early build could land them as a low-mid tier premium.

That my guess really what the first two trees will have. Though every navy had a respectable number of subs, even minor nations like the Dutch had very capable designs. What do guys think, any others to add on these two, what about the future tress like Japan, Britsh, USSR, Italy, etc?

• Cool 1

[TWFT2]
Beta Testers
347 posts
5,478 battles

Inb4 someone suggests the French Premium

Edited by brym7

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,723 battles

The KM definitely provides WG with the opportunity to have an engaging tech tree. The Type VII C was obviously the most prevalent design used in the battle of the Atlantic. When a strategically placed Milk Cow was used (re-fueling submarine), Type VIICs were able to penetrate as far into our backyard as Galveston, Texas. There is a Type VII C that was sunk off of the coast of Houma LA. Later in the war, the Germans had advanced classes of submarines that were entirely electric, and could definitely turn into the OP submarine.

I am also interested to see how the IJN midget subs can be implemented.  

[TWFT2]
Beta Testers
347 posts
5,478 battles

4 minutes ago, Rgtx1121 said:

Possible bottom tier ships givin the only two forward tubes (least from the ones I'm thinking about) Though I think it's safe to suspect the I-400 would be the Japanese tier X sub.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,241 posts
12,979 battles

I have no idea what criteria to use for tiering them.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that they'll start at quite high tiers, destroyers start at T2, but carriers at T4, higher than that is possible. It could be that like carriers they only come in ad odd or even tiers, which would make life easier as there's not much between designs a lot of the time.

You put the Type IX at T8-T9, but the Type VII at T7. There's not much between them, and the smaller VII should be stealthier, faster to dive, both have 4 forward torpedo tubes, the IX has a slightly meatier deck gun but its still pathetic armament. You could be right or wrong. 

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,798 posts
5,814 battles

All I know is that one of my ARP captains still needs a vessel to be put on.

2fMFOcT.jpg

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
3,035 posts
3,309 battles

There's a couple designs that had plane hangers. CV and SS all in one, I think those would have the highest rate of being TK'd:Smile_trollface:

Also K-class: Special trait, it WILL sink (permanently) before the battle ends, it's just a matter of a), how long, and b) how many of your team you take with you.:Smile_teethhappy:

[TWFT2]
Beta Testers
347 posts
5,478 battles

3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Also K-class: Special trait, it WILL sink (permanently) before the battle ends, it's just a matter of a), how long, and b) how many of your team you take with you.:Smile_teethhappy:

Admiral Jackie Fisher "The most fatal error imaginable would be to put steam engines in submarines."

In all honesty, probably would be a nice meme premium 

Edited by brym7

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
786 posts
4,393 battles
5 hours ago, Rgtx1121 said:

The KM definitely provides WG with the opportunity to have an engaging tech tree. The Type VII C was obviously the most prevalent design used in the battle of the Atlantic. When a strategically placed Milk Cow was used (re-fueling submarine), Type VIICs were able to penetrate as far into our backyard as Galveston, Texas. There is a Type VII C that was sunk off of the coast of Houma LA. Later in the war, the Germans had advanced classes of submarines that were entirely electric, and could definitely turn into the OP submarine.

I400 IJN sub had planes, "Seiran", could be a premium CV SS all in one?

[S0L0]
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
4 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Naw, let the K class have a B hull that doesn't sink, but quadruples the detection range when the Pinocchio nose is installed.

Matt

Beta Testers
76 posts
1,841 battles

It’s fun to think about but, there is too much we don’t know yet.  At what tier will the tree start?  Is it going to be like the CV trees, with only even tier ships?  I think if the German t10 is the type xxi,  the US t10 would have to be the Tang class.  Of course that’s a total guess at this point in time.

[SUCIT]
Members
654 posts
15,878 battles

I can't really determine how Germans classified their U-boats, other than something like U-2501 (I think Sealowe from Terror of the Deep was based on this boat) will be the T10, with premium U-boats including U-47 and U-505.

As for the Americans, I'll start at T2 and go from there

T2: O-Class

T3: S-Class

T4: Dolphin class

T5: Porpoise class

T6: Salmon or Sargo class, both basically the same, so pick one and make the other a premium.

T7: Tambor or Gar class, the Gars were a subclass of the Tambors, so again, pick one and put the other as a possible premium

T8: Gato

T9: Balao

T10: Tench

Premiums: 

T5 or 6: Argincourt class (US take on Submarine cruisers, armed with 2 6in deck guns, most likely submarine cruiser to not be a balancing nightmare when compared to M1 or Surcouf)

T6: Sailfish or Sculpin (Sargo class): the story behind these two ships makes them worthy of coming into the game, and their story is told in the book "A Tale of Two Subs"

T7: Tautog (Tambor class): sank the most ships out of any US submarine during the war (27) and depending on sources, most tonnage (around 200k tons)

T8: Wahoo (Gato class): Before Wahoo, the US Silent Service was struggling due to over cautious captains and laughably bad torpedoes. Wahoo and her captain (Dudley Morton) and XO (Richard O'Kane), go on a tear across Japanese shipping before being sunk in the La Perouse Strait in Oct 1943. O'Kane escaped the fate of Wahoo as just before Wahoo left for her final patrol he was given command of his own sub.

T9: Tang (Balao class): O'Kane piloted this sub through all its patrols from Jan. 1944 until being sunk by its own torpedo on Oct. 24. Tang set the US submarine record for most ships sunk in one patrol (10 in Yellow Sea), along with 14 other ships and between 190k-227k tons of shipping sunk. O'Kane survived the sinking of Tang, and was awarded the Medal of Honor after the war.

T10: a Guppy conversion Tench class (USS Tusk or possibly one that is currently a museum in Baltimore that I've been on and forget its name: a Guppy conversion was basically designed to make the sub quicker and stealthier underwater, so make the Guppy sub faster and stealthier while nerfing the torpedo power.

Playstyles

Germans: small, stealthy. fast diving and surfacing, low underwater endurance (oxygen and/or battery life) low torpedo tubes (most U-boats had 4 forward one or two aft), not much health, slower than American subs, very weak in surface engagements

Americans: high number of torpedo tubes (Tambor class on up had 10 tubes, 6 forward 4 aft), big, larger hit points, can be armed with 2 5in deck guns and 2 single bofors guns, giving more gun power than a Mutsuki, faster, slow diving and surfacing, long underwater endurance (battery life and/or oxygen), not as stealthy or agile.