You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: O Captain, my Captain! (DIRECTIVES CLOSE AT END OF PLAY THURSDAY NIGHT/VERY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING).

69 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles

The full list of those current directives is now live. Here was what we faced and put behind us in part 1.

So let's move on to the next phase, shall we?

NOW UPDATED WITH FULL REQUIREMENTS:

PART 2, DIRECTIVE 1: SIX OF THE FOLLOWING.

THE  FIRST FIVE TASKS AND TASK ELEVEN CANNOT BE ACCOMPLISHED IN CLAN BATTLE MODE, ALL OTHERS ARE VALID (CV NOT VALID IN CLAN BATTLES, AS THEY ARE EXCLUDED FROM CB).

1. Main battery hits, 1000.

2. Hits to citadels, 10.

3. Gain spotting ribbons, 50.

4. Win a given number of battles, 7.

5. Accumulate damage against enemy ships, 1.8 MILLION.

6. Earn a given number of credits (OK for Clan battles).

7. to 10. Accumulate base XP in destroyers, cruisers, battleships and carriers, Tier FIVE or above (as described in game). OK for clan battles (except CV, as CV are not in Clan battles). 10,000 Base XP.

11. Special shortcut mission: score 4 capture or assist in capture ribbons.  Le Terrible and Mogador only. Not clan battles.

PART 2, DIRECTIVE 2: SIX OF THE FOLLOWING. OPENS FOUR DAYS FROM START (22 August + 4)

NOTE: ONLY TASKS 6 TO 9 CAN BE RUN IN CLAN BATTLES. ALL OTHER MODES ARE VALID FOR ALL TASKS.

1. Gain cap-related ribbons (capture, share capture, defend) = 20.

2. Accumulate secondary battery hits = 500.

3. Shoot down a given number of aircraft = 40.

4. Finish in the top 5 in your team in a given number of battles = 10 battles.

5. Sink a given number of ships = 25.

6. Earn a given number of credits = 3 million. Clan battles OK for CB-eligible ships.

7.-10 Accumulate 70,000 commander XP in destroyers, cruisers, battleships and carriers of T5 and above. Clan battles OK for CB-eligible ships.

11. Special shortcut mission in Le Terrible, Mogador: Cause 80,000 damage (not in Clan battles)

STRATEGY NOTES: My intended strategy is to complete tasks 1 to 5 in co-op; where possible, I will use those ships in which I can place my 19 point captains. I will then pick whichever of BB, DD, CV or Cruiser has the most captain XP at that time and concentrate on finishing that one to clear the directive.

PROGRESS NOTES: I ended up using German ships because I also have that Gamescom mission set in the queue; and though that has a month to complete, I figured it was better just to get it out of the way. However, the general principle is working out well and an important grind is being advanced.

PART 2, DIRECTIVE 3: SIX OF THE FOLLOWING. OPENS 8 DAYS FROM START (i.e. ~ 30 August)

ONLY TASKS 6 TO 9 CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED IN CLAN BATTLES.

1. Accumulate a given number of fire, citadel, torpedo hit and flood ribbons = 60.

2. Tank a given amount of potential damage = 20 million.

3. Accumulate a given amount of spotting damage for your team = 300,000.

4. Score a given number of achievments = 5. Co-op is mistakenly listed as a valid mode here.

5. Cause a given amount of damage = 2.4 million

6. Score a given amount of base XP in any ships = 30,000

7 to 10. Accumulate ship XP in destroyers, cruisers, battleships and carriers of Tier 5 and above (T6 for CV; Clan Battles OK for CB-eligible ships).

11. Special shortcut mission in Le Terrible, Mogador: Accumulate 180 main battery hits (not in Clan battles).

STRATEGY: This one is better done in randoms. Pick a cruiser, destroyer, battleship and carrier (if you have one at T6+) you want to advance, and go for it. Towards the end, clean up any stray fires, floods etc. you still need in co-op. By the time you've finished the ship XP grinds, the base XP grind will almost certainly be gone and so also should be the damage-causing and damage-tanking tasks. My picks are Myoko --> Mogami, Fuso --> Nagato, Ranger --> Lexington, and one or other of the Japanese T7 destroyers to its successor. In all cases I may not finish those grinds, but I will take a fairly large chunk out of each.

PROGRESS NOTES: I had a complete collapse of will to play Randoms.  Fires, cits, torps, floods got done in co-op, as did spotting and damage-dealing. Concentrating now on the damage-tanking (close to completion), base XP (I think I'm about 2/3 done) and ship XP in cruisers, where I'm most ahead. I play to the second container most nights anyway; that will see me through, even if I'm a bit late starting directive 4.

PART 2, DIRECTIVE 4: SIX OF THE FOLLOWING. Opens 15 days from start, i.e. 5 September.

ONLY TASKS 6 TO 9 CAN BE RUN IN CLAN BATTLES.

1. Accumulate a given number of torpedo hits = 20. PLEASE NOTE: SHIP TORPEDOES ONLY, NO CV.

2. Damage or destroy a given number of modules = 100.

3. Shoot down a given number of aircraft = 30.

4. Win a given number of battles = 5.

5. Kill a given number of ships = 20.

6. Gain a certain amount of base XP in any Tier 5-plus ship = 20,000. Clan battles OK for CB-eligible ships.

7 to 10. Accumulate a given amount of free XP in destroyers, cruisers, battleships and carriers = 25,000. Clan battles OK for CB-eligible ships.

11. Special shortcut mission in Le Terrible, Mogador: Accumulate a given number of fire, flood, citadel and torpedo hit ribbons = 10. Not in Clan battles.

THESE DIRECTIVES CLOSE OUT AT LAST PLAY ON THURSDAY NIGHT, EFFECTIVELY. NIGHT-OWLS PLAYING LATE AND NA SERVER PLAYERS OUTSIDE THE AMERICAS, PLEASE SEE IMMEDIATELY BELOW.

image.thumb.png.9ed47a0a32988a5185a47874c25287b6.png

OVERALL PRIZES:

Directive 1 rewards 200 tokens and the others reward 250 tokens each.

All directives reward 2 non-premium event crates on completion. No event crates are awarded in individual missions.

Each and every mission in each and every directive rewards 15 tokens, in addition to consumables, camos, flags, etc.

REMEMBER: Completing directives is done by clearing the minimum number of tasks within them. The rest will complete automatically as you play subsequent directives.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[WOLFG]
Members
7,401 posts
5,355 battles

That looks doable for those of a mind to.

Will completing those directives be enough for the captain?

[DOG]
Members
448 posts
9,432 battles
13 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

That looks doable for those of a mind to.

Will completing those directives be enough for the captain?

Nope*.  See event description.

It says:

• Completing all Directive missions of the “French Destroyers: Part 2” event—up to 1,610 Tokens.
  • Ranking in the Hall of Fame—up to 1,200 Tokens.

However, maybe not everyone will be able to earn the 1610 possible tokens (since in the part 1 directives you had CV missions and also missions that required specific ships).

* It also says:

• Completing combat missions with flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_578f4cb5e5bd1007d5df8ade07a8c4836 IX Mogador and flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fapremium_dac9e09cf46059e1432206f07fdb2eab VIII Le Terrible—200 Tokens for each mission.

So.... for those who bought Mogador, they might not need to rank as high up in the hall of fame.  As I read that, if you use the Mogador on part 2 directive missions you get a 200 token bonus - so 4 directives, 11 missions each, Mogador owners could net 8800 tokens.

Edited by dashtardly
Fixed colorization of pasted news article text
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
7,401 posts
5,355 battles
4 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Nope*.  See event description.

It says:

• Completing all Directive missions of the “French Destroyers: Part 2” event—up to 1,610 Tokens.
  • Ranking in the Hall of Fame—up to 1,200 Tokens.

However, maybe not everyone will be able to earn the 1610 possible tokens (since in the part 1 directives you had CV missions and also missions that required specific ships).

* It also says:

• Completing combat missions with flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_578f4cb5e5bd1007d5df8ade07a8c4836 IX Mogador and flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fapremium_dac9e09cf46059e1432206f07fdb2eab VIII Le Terrible—200 Tokens for each mission.

So.... for those who bought Mogador, they might not need to rank as high up in the hall of fame.  As I read that, if you use the Mogador on part 2 directive missions you get a 200 token bonus - so 4 directives, 11 missions each, Mogador owners could net 8800 tokens.

That is what I thought.

TY.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles

At this stage, I am simply doing my best to provide some sort of roadmap through the directives, as the containers offer a small chance of a premium ship drop (IIRC, Aigle, De Grasse, Dunkerque, Gascogne; duplicate payout in credits). The larger context of grabbing the captain is a different beast, which to be honest I do not feel I will be breaking my back to tackle.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles

UPDATE: GAME CHANGER.

The premium crates in this patch contain event tokens (120 each). Thus it is possible to fight as hard as you can through as many of the directives as you can, and if you are still short then - if you can afford it and if you so choose - buy crates to obtain tokens and make up the difference to get Capt. Philippe Aubuoyneau.

Naturally, the more you earn in combat, the fewer crates you would have to buy to guarantee yourself the captain.

I am not in favour of putting myself at the mercy of RNG with only temporary content (flags and camos) for compensation if I fail. However, I will always consider premium crate purchases when they have guaranteed content that lets me obtain things which are permanent for the life of the game. The fact that there is the chance of drawing a mission to win a premium ship (three of which I do not already have) is a very tempting layer of icing on the cake. 

As always, consider your own circumstances and spend within your means.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles

Bumping this topic to the top with live-server mission data now available.

[H_]
Members
3,113 posts
13,990 battles

Well, half way done with 2-1.  Nothing new here except the Smolensk that I picked up for coal....  I kinda don't see killing myself with this event because there just isn't a "grand prize" at the end?  Or, is there; and, I've missed it?

Kind of like phase 1 without a "give away ship"....  Again, what is the carrot we are chasing?  GLHF.

[WMD]
Members
1,132 posts
8,195 battles

The "grand prize" is the legendary commander, how much that incentivizes you is another matter. 

As I don't intend to play MN DDs much I won't be pushing too hard for the skipper. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles
4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Well, half way done with 2-1.  Nothing new here except the Smolensk that I picked up for coal....  I kinda don't see killing myself with this event because there just isn't a "grand prize" at the end?  Or, is there; and, I've missed it?

Kind of like phase 1 without a "give away ship"....  Again, what is the carrot we are chasing?  GLHF.

The non-premium crates - two per directive plus three in daily supply - have a small drop chance for a premium French ship - Gascogne, Le Terrible, De Grasse, Aigle. Duplicates in credits if you already have them.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

People who picked up the Smolensk and saw the 1000 hit mission:

Image result for Grinch smiling gif

Oh yeah.

Mind you, I did not use the Smolensk for all of them. They have missions that (eventually) give bonuses including flags for multiple uses of T6 through T9 ships of all types, so I went down to T6 and T7 and played some of those in cruisers, then gave my Ranger a turn to pick up some spotting ribbons.

Each mission requires you to get 500 XP, but it doesn't have to be done all in one battle.

I accomplished the 1000 hits and 7 wins missions, and with the victory condition out of the way I will probably switch to CV in randoms tomorrow and try to farm a lot more spotting ribbons, plus advance my grind through the Ranger. Once I have the spotting tasks done I'll consider what to do next. Probably finish the citadel hits and damage missions in cruisers while cleaning up the cruiser base XP mission.

That will finish Directive 1, and I can start thinking about how to select ships for Directive 2 goals so as to advance the remaining D1 missions on the side. Very clearly, there will be some missions that I don't hesitate to come back to co-op for.

[WOLFG]
Members
7,401 posts
5,355 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh yeah.

Mind you, I did not use the Smolensk for all of them. They have missions that (eventually) give bonuses including flags for multiple uses of T6 through T9 ships of all types, so I went down to T6 and T7 and played some of those in cruisers, then gave my Ranger a turn to pick up some spotting ribbons.

Each mission requires you to get 500 XP, but it doesn't have to be done all in one battle.

I accomplished the 1000 hits and 7 wins missions, and with the victory condition out of the way I will probably switch to CV in randoms tomorrow and try to farm a lot more spotting ribbons, plus advance my grind through the Ranger. Once I have the spotting tasks done I'll consider what to do next. Probably finish the citadel hits and damage missions in cruisers while cleaning up the cruiser base XP mission.

That will finish Directive 1, and I can start thinking about how to select ships for Directive 2 goals so as to advance the remaining D1 missions on the side. Very clearly, there will be some missions that I don't hesitate to come back to co-op for.

I've picked up a number of the T6-T7 missions. 

Got the win mission, and almost the citadel mission.

Maybe 40% of the hit mission.

A lot of people in coop picking up the spotting mission in CVs. :cap_viking:

Members
2,080 posts
3,662 battles

Um well... it looks like everything is a lot easier to complete in the sense that it's wide open to do most of these in coop or scenarios, so the only limiting factor for me is not having CVs. And each individual mission in each directive is fairly straightforward and not awfully grindy like the directive that was all 3M credit grinds for Siroco.

BUT

Because of the high token requirement for the grand prize, while the directives are all easy to get, it is extremely hard to get the commander without paying. Which I'm actually OK with, because the Benham grind was similar, so we can all pick how much paying vs. grinding we want to do for ourselves, and therefore if you come up a little short on the grinding, you can still pay a little to finish off your tokens.

Anyone who completed the PTS rewards for 8.7 should be getting a premium crate and a free 120 tokens, so that should help. Although I have not yet seen the 8.7 PTS rewards even though the patch is live.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[WOLF6]
Members
1,364 posts
4,478 battles

Cheers for the info there guys. Looks like it could be as big of a slog as the Siroco grind. Very nice reward captain though.

Note that again aircraft shootdowns (appearing in directives 2 and 4) are best accomplished in Coop with a Div carrier so if anyone needs those once the second directive hits lemme know in game and will div.

Also looks like you'd only have to buy 3 crates in addition to directive completion (plus another measly 10 from ranking) to secure the captain. Or has someone already said that....3750 dubs.

Edited by Sumseaman

[H_]
Members
3,113 posts
13,990 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh yeah.

I've done everything is COOP so far.  Spotting is the long haul and the Carrier drivers have been really good about letting their "little brothers" time to spot.  The rest of 2-1 is just grinding.  And yes, the 1000 MG hits was 4 matches.  There are several ships that can get this done in less than 10 matches.  Spotting though............3 or maybe 4 per COOP.... 

I think I'm gonna do it all in COOP if I can.  AND, I had three Citadels in................my Kagero !  The last three no less.   The rest just came easily in normal play.....

Keep writing @Ensign_Cthulhu these type of threads really help.

Members
2,080 posts
3,662 battles
On 8/21/2019 at 9:34 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The fact that there is the chance of drawing a mission to win a premium ship (three of which I do not already have) is a very tempting layer of icing on the cake. 

Totally agree with this. The extra chance may make it worth spending to get premium crates at the end of the event for the tokens I'll miss from not having Tier VI+ carriers or maxing out the Hall of Fame.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles
10 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Keep writing @Ensign_Cthulhu these type of threads really help.

Thank you.

I wish I could travel back in time to December 2017 and tell my noob-self "You know, you have 50K free XP from a supercontainer you recently won. If you use it to get a Tier 5 battleship for the damage farming mission, you can likely finish North Cape."

Whether I would then have had enough, a year down the road, to get the Musashi before she left is another matter. I try to give the advice I would've wanted to have back then.

7 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

The extra chance may make it worth spending to get premium crates at the end of the event for the tokens I'll miss from not having Tier VI+ carriers

Even if I hadn't had any carriers before the Rework, I'd have played (as I did) for the Hermes and the Furious in their event. I was freaking hopeless at Rework CV when it dropped, but they were very, VERY good for getting spotting ribbons. Everybody should have at least one at T6 or better, IMO, if only for perspective and as a useful tool in such circumstances as these.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,202 posts

Sometimes people aren't creative enough in which ships they use to "farm" which missions.

I used the Nurnberg to farm the citadels mission for the Directive last night, it's actually pretty easy, if you can line up an enemy cruiser broadside... got 4 on a single volley, IIRC against a red Pens. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles
15 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I used the Nurnberg to farm the citadels mission for the Directive last night, it's actually pretty easy, if you can line up an enemy cruiser broadside... got 4 on a single volley, IIRC against a red Pens. 

I once managed nine, I think, with my Fiji on a bot Myoko at nearly touching distance. 23K XP in a single volley, but not quite enough to blow him out of the water.  If you catch another thin-skinned cruiser in a drive-by like that it can be devastating, but you have to be careful of a bot's propensity to torp even after death. Fortunately the Myoko's poor torp arcs help here; it's usually in bits long before you cross into the arc, and it's too late for the AI to cheat.

Tech-tree US cruisers above T5 are of course ripe for it, because they have no torps, but you have to be aware that opening a Fiji's broadside to a bot Pensacola or New Orleans can end badly for you.  Atlanta is also super-fragile, but be more than 5km away or else, and I think Flint's torps go out to 8km so care is required there as well.

[WOLFG]
Members
7,401 posts
5,355 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I once managed nine, I think, with my Fiji on a bot Myoko at nearly touching distance. 23K XP in a single volley, but not quite enough to blow him out of the water.  If you catch another thin-skinned cruiser in a drive-by like that it can be devastating, but you have to be careful of a bot's propensity to torp even after death. Fortunately the Myoko's poor torp arcs help here; it's usually in bits long before you cross into the arc, and it's too late for the AI to cheat.

Tech-tree US cruisers above T5 are of course ripe for it, because they have no torps, but you have to be aware that opening a Fiji's broadside to a bot Pensacola or New Orleans can end badly for you.  Atlanta is also super-fragile, but be more than 5km away or else, and I think Flint's torps go out to 8km so care is required there as well.

Caught a Pyotr broadside in my Pensacola once.  5 cits, 20+K damage and dead BB.

The Pepsi giveth, the Pepsi taketh away.

Members
2,080 posts
3,662 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Even if I hadn't had any carriers before the Rework, I'd have played (as I did) for the Hermes and the Furious in their event. I was freaking hopeless at Rework CV when it dropped, but they were very, VERY good for getting spotting ribbons. Everybody should have at least one at T6 or better, IMO, if only for perspective and as a useful tool in such circumstances as these.

I agree, but I didn't start CVs until right before the rework, and with the current state of things, finishing the last 20k XP grind to go from Langley to Ranger was just too painful to think about. I'm worse than potato in a CV, and my planes were just getting murdered with the AA changes. 

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

This event offers me nothing so I plan to ignore it and convert what points I do earn into gold or silver

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles
54 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I agree, but I didn't start CVs until right before the rework, and with the current state of things, finishing the last 20k XP grind to go from Langley to Ranger was just too painful to think about. I'm worse than potato in a CV, and my planes were just getting murdered with the AA changes. 

You will thank me in the end. Chip away at it a bit at a time, even in co-op, and before you know it you'll be there.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,202 posts

Finished first Directive, still have the destroyer, cruiser, and battleship Base XP missions to go.

(Don't have French DDs with the special mission, or any carriers, so I'm not counting those... the new carrier controls and view give me motion sickness, so even if I liked it, I couldn't use it.) 

Also finished the Guepard 15k, which let me buy the 4th bundle tonight.  (Don't like the "parade camos" that WG seems to think are awesome,)

Also finished the third Gamescon mission (German FXP).   In the course of finishing that, also finished the Research Spin-Off tier VI DD challenge's 10 uses.