You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

CV rocket attacks still OP on DDs

171 comments in this topic

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles

After a brief period where CV's seemed to get toned down for whatever reason they are now hitting harder than hell with their rocket attacks. Last 3 games with my Kitakaze (The MM hates this [edited]boat, sub 35% WR..:( ) tier 8 CV's have been murdering it. Each game I've been spotted, rocket attacked and lost 50% of my health in 1 [edited]pass! Nothing, even a Yamato doom cannon does not hit that hard, also factory in the fire and module damage the rockets do, 80% of the time taking out the engine or steering.

I've had 100's and 100's of games in DDs and know how to try and avoid CV's (AA off, staring at the minimap 90% of the time) but all too often the 3 secs I'm not staring at the map trying to dodge the incoming planes I get spotted and attacked, not matter what I do they hit and they hit extremely hard.

Screenshot of the last game, I only turned the AA on after he spotted me, even the Kitakazes decent AA is pretty useless at beating them off. One pass and boom... Didn't even have time to set the AA position. 

Having such a awful run with tier 8+ DD's lately I'm pretty much giving upon the class. 

shot-19.08.17_17.58.02-0667.jpg

• Cool 9
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 21
  • Angry 2

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles

All of a sudden they seem OP as hell, Gave up on the DD's and tried cruisers... My Baltimore losing 16k and obliterated in 1 pass by bombers, hey I shot 1 plane down, so much for the lethal AA cruiser..:(

shot-19.08.17_18.42.13-0260.jpg

• Cool 6
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 7
  • Angry 1

Members
1,427 posts

I Refuse...REFUSE to go into a gam with my DD if i see CV in queue

I Enter queue as CL ---if I see no CV --- i back out and go in as DD

• Cool 10
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 8

[KAPPA]
Members
2,418 posts
7,202 battles

Kitakaze is a giant target. Even torpedo bombers don't have a hard time hitting one if the DD lets you get at their side and you have the aim to hit the target. Combine the size and horrid handling and it's no wonder she has some of the best DD guns at her disposal.

Still hoping they give def AA to that line. Why the heck are the IJN AA DDs so bad at AA?? If they just gave them def AA, they'd be freaking good at it!

[RKLES]
Members
11,016 posts
12,551 battles
4 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Kitakaze is a giant target. Even torpedo bombers don't have a hard time hitting one if the DD lets you get at their side and you have the aim to hit the target. Combine the size and horrid handling and it's no wonder she has some of the best DD guns at her disposal.

Still hoping they give def AA to that line. Why the heck are the IJN AA DDs so bad at AA?? If they just gave them def AA, they'd be freaking good at it!

Or gave them the good AA flak that they had at some points in time in this game. I am puzzled as to why the Kitakami has bad AA as well, especially when those dual purpose 100mm guns were regarded as reasonably effective in WWII and some of the best AA guns available to Japan.

[GT99]
Members
664 posts
10,283 battles

Yep, took Balti out last night and by the one minute mark, I lost 10K from rocket planes and only shot one down. I lost a quarter of my health and no reds spotted yet, kind of dumb.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles
23 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

It was designed as AA support ship, it bristles in AA guns but it seems completely inept at shooting sky cancer down. Everytime I get attacked by a wave, even with the AA set to the correct direction only 1 plane will be shot down.. Then the CV swings them around and I get hit again.... 

• Boring 3

Members
162 posts
2,642 battles

Few words of advice when playing DD in a CV match, don't stray too far from allied support and make sure to stay within their AA bubbles, especially at the beginning of the match or if you have already been spotted.

Don't start blazing your AA as soon as the enemy CV has spotted you, unless you're in a DD from the US or USSR, your guns won't really do all that much. Start maneuvering towards the planes if you can to reduce the time the enemy CV has to aim their shot, most DDs have about 2 - 3km concealment from the air, so the enemy CV will be forced to guess your position and start their attack  before they get to actually see your ship, which means they have a greater chance to miss their shot if they guess wrong or don't have enough time to aim in time before they fly past your ship.

it plays pretty much the same way when you're against a bunch of radars really, just play it cool, don't just charge into the front line or a cap without support or an island to quickly find cover because you're toast. a dead DD is useless to the team, so you find the appropiate time to make a move instead of rushing things and hoping they don't find you out of place.

Edited by Aviri
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[PVE]
Members
3,969 posts
22,314 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

42 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

...even with the AA set to the correct direction only 1 plane will be shot down.

Not sure if you are aware but priority sector works a bit differently that the old AA mechanics.

W/the old AA mechanics the AA was stronger the more broadside you were to your target...w/priority the AA is just as strong if you are broadside as if you are blade on to the squadron as long as you still have the squadron on the side of the ship as the priority setting.

The reason I bring this up is it's a lot harder to hit a ship w/rockets when the ship is blade on to the target (kiting away style) that when it is broadside. I only mention this because your screenshot shows a fully broadside DD.

As I'm not sure exactly where the planes are in relationship to the DD in your screenshot so you may already be aware of this & I'm just misinerpreting the situation but if not I thought I might mention it because in the old CV meta the AA was more efficient while broadside so you might be trying to stay broadside to the planes assuming a much higher chance of multiple AA hits whereas if you cut into a kiting angle in relationship to the squadron your AA is still just as effective but you lessen the chance of taking multiple rocket hits & more often than not can dodge them all (if you time to cut as soon as you see the attack coming).

Also...as soon as the squadron passes you by after the attack immediately hit the P key to toggle the AA off again to go undetected (after you go undetected you will have plenty of time to reset your priority AA while the squad is coming around for the next attack). This will not only mitigate incoming fire from other ships but also make it harder for the CV to line you up for the next attack.

Hope this helps...I started 4 different T9 DD grinds (including the Kit) the day that 8.0 dropped & I understand your frustrations but the Kit was the easiest of the 4 for me to get through...although both the RU & the RN were my other 3 so it goes w/out saying the RUs (especially w/their pitiful rudder shifts) were the hardest of the 4 to get through.

• Cool 4

[TMS]
Members
2,991 posts
28,875 battles
20 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Not sure if you are aware but priority sector works a bit differently that the old AA mechanics.

W/the old AA mechanics the AA was stronger the more broadside you were to your target...w/priority the AA is just as strong if you are broadside as if you are blade on to the squadron as long as you still have the squadron on the side of the ship as the priority setting.

The reason I bring this up is it's a lot harder to hit a ship w/rockets when the ship is blade on to the target (kiting away style) that when it is broadside. I only mention this because your screenshot shows a fully broadside DD.

As I'm not sure exactly where the planes are in relationship to the DD in your screenshot so you may already be aware of this & I'm just misinerpreting the situation but if not I thought I might mention it because in the old CV meta the AA was more efficient while broadside so you might be trying to stay broadside to the planes assuming a much higher chance of multiple AA hits whereas if you cut into a kiting angle in relationship to the squadron your AA is still just as effective but you lessen the chance of taking multiple rocket hits & more often than not can dodge them all (if you time to cut as soon as you see the attack coming).

Also...as soon as the squadron passes you by after the attack immediately hit the P key to toggle the AA off again to go undetected (after you go undetected you will have plenty of time to reset your priority AA while the squad is coming around for the next attack). This will not only mitigate incoming fire from other ships but also make it harder for the CV to line you up for the next attack.

Hope this helps...I started 4 different T9 DD grinds (including the Kit) the day that 8.0 dropped & I understand your frustrations but the Kit was the easiest of the 4 for me to get through...although both the RU & the RN were my other 3 so it goes w/out saying the RUs (especially w/their pitiful rudder shifts) were the hardest of the 4 to get through.

+1

This is a good one that i have been doing for some time.

DDs already have a lot on their plate with juggling with so many things going on at once but a little extra effort like this is worth it when CVs are in the battle.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,040 posts
21,568 battles
44 minutes ago, Aviri said:

Few words of advice when playing DD in a CV match, don't stray too far from allied support and make sure to stay within their AA bubbles, especially at the beginning of the match or if you have already been spotted.

Don't start blazing your AA as soon as the enemy CV has spotted you, unless you're in a DD from the US or USSR, your guns won't really do all that much. Start maneuvering towards the planes if you can to reduce the time the enemy CV has to aim their shot, most DDs have about 2 - 3km concealment from the air, so the enemy CV will be forced to guess your position and start their attack  before they get to actually see your ship, which means they have a greater chance to miss their shot if they guess wrong or don't have enough time to aim in time before they fly past your ship.

it plays pretty much the same way when you're against a bunch of radars really, just play it cool, don't just charge into the front line or a cap without support or an island to quickly find cover because you're toast. a dead DD is useless to the team, so you find the appropiate time to make a move instead of rushing things and hoping they don't find you out of place.

A few further words of advice:

1. Wait and see at the beginning of the match where the planes are going to go. Stay close to your tm until you know.

2. In a rocket attack, you present as thin a profile as possible. That means bow on or stern on. Dodge left or right when you see the rocket puff from the planes to throw off the aim.

The only DD class you leave the AA on always are the French. The visibility from the air is the same as the AA range.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
791 posts
4,414 battles

No OP in this case, you're sailing 5.4 knots, easy target. Next, please sail and stop hiding behind rocks... 

• Cool 4
  • Angry 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,519 posts

You can't play the same game between CV and non-CV battle..   If there is a CV, hold back, stay with the pack...

In a CV game accept the fact you won't be jumping out front - or a flank and bush-whacking (includes HE spam session) an enemy in total protection.

Survive until later in the game when you can steal caps and move around the less populated areas, popping smoke if a CV shows interest.

Because if a CV is waiting for your smoke to dissipate, you still win because they aren't attacking someone else.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
22,910 posts
20,819 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Or gave them the good AA flak that they had at some points in time in this game. I am puzzled as to why the Kitakami has bad AA as well, especially when those dual purpose 100mm guns were regarded as reasonably effective in WWII and some of the best AA guns available to Japan.

Kitakami had bad AA because the Kuma-class had sh*t AA to begin with.

And yes.  Sailing at 5.4kts when aircraft are around is asking to get spanked.  Just put yourself on a silver platter and put a tomato in your mouth, and serve yourself right up.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
9 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

You can't play the same game between CV and non-CV battle..   If there is a CV, hold back, stay with the pack...

In a CV game accept the fact you won't be jumping out front - or a flank and bush-whacking (includes HE spam session) an enemy in total protection.

Survive until later in the game when you can steal caps and move around the less populated areas, popping smoke if a CV shows interest.

Because if a CV is waiting for your smoke to dissipate, you still win because they aren't attacking someone else.

I'm curious. Who plays a DD and enjoys spending their game hiding under an AA umbrella, rather than actually participating in the game?:Smile_sceptic:

And people wonder why WG has failed to engage the player base.

• Cool 11

[SIM]
Members
4,320 posts
7,329 battles

Playing poorly in an OP ship and getting punished for it? How terrible...

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1

[SOV]
Members
3,016 posts
6 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

After a brief period where CV's seemed to get toned down for whatever reason they are now hitting harder than hell with their rocket attacks. Last 3 games with my Kitakaze (The MM hates this [edited]boat, sub 35% WR..:( ) tier 8 CV's have been murdering it. Each game I've been spotted, rocket attacked and lost 50% of my health in 1 [edited]pass! Nothing, even a Yamato doom cannon does not hit that hard, also factory in the fire and module damage the rockets do, 80% of the time taking out the engine or steering.

I've had 100's and 100's of games in DDs and know how to try and avoid CV's (AA off, staring at the minimap 90% of the time) but all too often the 3 secs I'm not staring at the map trying to dodge the incoming planes I get spotted and attacked, not matter what I do they hit and they hit extremely hard.

Screenshot of the last game, I only turned the AA on after he spotted me, even the Kitakazes decent AA is pretty useless at beating them off. One pass and boom... Didn't even have time to set the AA position. 

Having such a awful run with tier 8+ DD's lately I'm pretty much giving upon the class. 

Just dodge! Remember!?!?!?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,519 posts
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

I'm curious. Who plays a DD and enjoys spending their game hiding under an AA umbrella, rather than actually participating in the game?:Smile_sceptic:

And people wonder why WG has failed to engage the player base.

This was early on after the CV re-release...   Nowadays, those Midways would be at the bottom of the list.

03_17_19_Lightning_A.jpg

03_17_19_Lightning_B.jpg

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

My guess is the less skilled players got annoyed and they, according to some posts, couldn't adapt to or enjoy the balanced version of the CVs. This leaves fewer but skilled CVs. Its not really their fault, CVs were released in such a broken state the initial overpowered nature became the standard for people who liked CVs at 8.0

• Cool 2

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
109 posts
3,710 battles
6 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Just dodge

You say that but the amount of players who just sail in straight lines letting me rocket or torp them is staggering. Ironically they are also usually the ones who whine the most when they get devastated.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 4

[KAPPA]
Members
2,418 posts
7,202 battles
8 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

It was designed as AA support ship, it bristles in AA guns but it seems completely inept at shooting sky cancer down. Everytime I get attacked by a wave, even with the AA set to the correct direction only 1 plane will be shot down.. Then the CV swings them around and I get hit again.... 

Maybe in real life, but certainly not by WG... Aircraft are its biggest weakness, sadly.