You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nergy

Capping

16 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
211 posts
11,058 battles

It is unconscionable that at this age of the game, that there are still people left that think pushing a cap wins the match, yet in every match you see some ***** run out like ***** ***** and try to force a cap. Nothing can be more wrong and nothing can be more stupid. Capping is the endgame and not the opening move and if your fast ships kill themselves in those useless suicide capping runs then you don't have an endgame and you most certainly will lose the match.

Do those people ever do the math. Losing one ship is equivalent to giving the other team between 75 to 100 points, so if you lose 3 ships you are down almost 300 points.

So you f***** i****** quit rushing caps.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 5
  • Angry 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,549 posts
12,986 battles
7 minutes ago, Nergy said:

It is unconscionable that at this age of the game, that there are still people left that think pushing a cap wins the match, yet in every match you see some ***** run out like ***** ***** and try to force a cap. Nothing can be more wrong and nothing can be more stupid. Capping is the endgame and not the opening move and if your fast ships kill themselves in those useless suicide capping runs then you don't have an endgame and you most certainly will lose the match.

Do those people ever do the math. Losing one ship is equivalent to giving the other team between 75 to 100 points, so if you lose 3 ships you are down almost 300 points.

Some times it is the right move and some times it isn't. The skill comes in know which situation you are dealing with. Matches can be won and lost by the capping attempts.

• Cool 3

[RELAX]
Members
1,148 posts
8,654 battles

A quick 3 cap by your teams DD's causes the other team to have to work to regain ground. It usually puts em behind since they have to take caps or stop the points accumulating. Also places them in a tighter area which you focus fire on. - takes smart dd players to do this though.

Just depends how hot the caps zones are at the start. Not contesting them is the bigger problem once they are taken. - everyone huddling not making a move and going down the hole in ships and points.

Honestly the NA server players have left thier balls in their murses for the most part. - watched so many games end in 8-9 minutes because people are way to timid.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Some times it is the right move and some times it isn't. The skill comes in know which situation you are dealing with. Matches can be won and lost by the capping attempts.

I understand an early cap head fake to break apart a strong push towards your own cap in hopes of luring some ships back to their own cap... DD beats cheeks outta there and torps or generally harasses for the duration of the match... but most people actually just sit in smoke hoping nobody gets within proximity range or radar in 3 minutes and they’re basically a write off. 

I don’t think OP was referring to people applying an effective early cap strategy- I think I’ve seen it work once or twice in tier 2.

There is no shortage of people who think they’re being “much courage” by throwing their ship away in what usually ends up being short term gain. 

Edited by _ENO_

[RLGN]
Members
12,284 posts
22,028 battles

Easier to do in smaller team games.

Last Ranked started with a C cap rush on Shards that quickly turned into a flank push and sweep because the Reds didn’t even pretend to contest the cap. No torps, no long range gunfire; we just swept through and got flanking torp and gunfire shots on the Red lemmings in the B cap.

[INTEL]
Members
11,505 posts
32,185 battles
3 hours ago, Nergy said:

Why? It's axiomatic that early capping is an unalloyed good. It forces the other team to play catch up, brings their DDs into the caps where they can be killed, and gives confidence to your teammates. I always attempt to cap as early as possible when I am in a DD, and am almost never killed early for doing so. You have to be careful of radar ships, and of course, Sky Parasites, but there is no downside to early capping when you know what you are doing.  

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
23,410 posts
24,018 battles
6 hours ago, Nergy said:

Dude, are you seriously incapable of communicating without the use of obscenities, particularly when you know that the use of said obscenities (or misspelled versions of them to avoid forum filters) is a violation of forum rules???  :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,410 posts
24,018 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Why? It's axiomatic that early capping is an unalloyed good. It forces the other team to play catch up, brings their DDs into the caps where they can be killed, and gives confidence to your teammates. I always attempt to cap as early as possible when I am in a DD, and am almost never killed early for doing so. You have to be careful of radar ships, and of course, Sky Parasites, but there is no downside to early capping when you know what you are doing.  

@Nergy I mostly agree with Tai here.  Early capping can be worthwhile.  The problem isn't so much early capping as it is players who dive onto caps with no escape plan and/or who intend to fight to the death for that cap (and often get that death … for themselves).

Successful early capping requires close support from your team and a willingness to bailout, because it's MUCH more important to stay alive than it is to die trying to take the cap at all costs.  Note that "successful early capping" does not inherently mean that you successfully TOOK the cap so much as it is that you made the attempt and lived to tell the tale, whether you took the cap or not.  But sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.  And if you spot the enemy trying to take the cap you're heading towards and see that he has better support than you, do your best to bail out BEFORE you get on the cap, since if you're unspotted, this will avoid letting the enemy know that you're on the cap with them.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
2,991 posts
28,875 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Indeed.

I take everything into consideration, the type of radar ships range and radar durations and the DDs they have oh and CVs.

I know which combo i'm not willing to meet at a cap and will not push in until i know exactly where they are and there are others which i don't care about because radar duration is short or the other DDs will not be able to gun me down in seconds.

What my teammates want comes second because me surviving the first 3 mins and first half of the battle is more important than them getting to farm damaged at the expense of me getting killed.

It's getting hard enough to carry when i'm alive, it's even harder when i'm dead.

Edited by Final8ty

[NSC]
Members
267 posts
6,751 battles
7 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Dont+thumb+this+guy+down+for+being+right

Don't worry... the part of forum denizens that are continually butt hurt have successfully lobbied to have the thumbs down button removed.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,299 battles

@Nergy With almost 11k battles you should realize that players are going to play as they see fit. No amount of anyone's complaining/whining is going to make anyone much less everyone PLAY THE WAY YOU WANT THEM TOO nor cause WG to make the game to suit you.

It is a game. Get over it and grow up.

[TORCH]
Members
316 posts
10,719 battles

Never say never.  OP's argument is true...sometimes.  OP's argument is completely wrong...sometimes.  It depends entirely on the situation.  First off, I think he's really talking about domination mode only.  In standard mode, of course, early capping pretty much isn't possible, but if you can cap at any point in the game, the game instantly ends.  And in epicenter mode, capping is pretty important.  In coop, well, the game seldom lasts long enough for capping to be that all important.  Bots all die and game is over.

There are two aspects to capping.  The first and most obvious is taking caps.  The second, however, is preventing the bad guys from taking a cap.  As long as you can keep the other team from turning caps red, you are pretty much still in the running, even if you haven't actually captured them yourself.  Early game TENDS to be more about keeping the reds from taking a cap, than about actually taking it yourself.  But that does NOT mean that, if the reds don't contest a cap, you shouldn't take it.  Actually taking a cap early puts the other team at a disadvantage - IF you don't pay too high a price.  OP is absolutely right about the math here - getting yourself sunk hurts your team a lot.  Still - I had a game recently where the reds didn't contest one cap at all.  Once that became clear, I just sailed through in my CL and turned it green for free.  If they let you have it...take it.

So...capping is situational, just like everything else in the game.  There's no one thing that "always" works, or "never" works.  If it was that easy, it wouldn't be fun.

• Cool 1

Members
690 posts
8,692 battles

If you get far enough behind on points because the other team capped and yours didn't then you can  beat the tar out of the other ships and still lose.  I agree that charging out ahead of your support and trying to cap is usually a mistake but not always.  If you ignore caps early, the other team gets them and your side is playing catch up for the rest of the game.

[F4E-2]
Members
157 posts
3,330 battles

If it is choice between dominating the caps (and the acquisition of capture points over time) early or late, it is clear that the more important thing is to hold and retain the caps in the late game...as long as they other team has not built up an insurmountable lead.

It is rather situational...

[TORCH]
Members
316 posts
10,719 battles
1 hour ago, MN_Nice said:

If it is choice between dominating the caps (and the acquisition of capture points over time) early or late, it is clear that the more important thing is to hold and retain the caps in the late game...as long as they other team has not built up an insurmountable lead.

It is rather situational...

Yes!  A much more succinct version of what I was trying to say above!