Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

A rare Gentleman's duel between Steel DDs during a ranked battle

8 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,195 posts
12,721 battles

This video is another great DD fight, this time between a friend of mine, @Ducati_Black in his Black and my Neustrashimy.  This is about as close as 1v1 as it can get in a PvP battle.  With more players getting steel, I have been getting more requests for information on both of these DDs.  In this video you can see how they work, and what they are capable of.  I hope you enjoy this fight as much as we did.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PRNA]
Members
494 posts
5,282 battles

Love your videos, and got the Neustra after confirming it wasn’t as bad as people said it was.

Question: Do you feel like Neustra falls off a bit at the higher ranks? Took her from rank 10 to rank 4, but then started becoming unable to keep the stars like I used to, and I started swapping between her and Kitakaze. Results have been good, but mixed. Any tips for keeping average XP and contribution high in the upper meta?

Edited by Sou1forge

[CUTER]
3,195 posts
12,721 battles
28 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

Love your videos, and got the Neustra after confirming it wasn’t as bad as people said it was.

Question: Do you feel like Neustra falls off a bit at the higher ranks? Took her from rank 10 to rank 4, but then started becoming unable to keep the stars like I used to, and I started swapping between her and Kitakaze. Results have been good, but mixed. Any tips for keeping average XP and contribution high in the upper meta?

I had a bad run of teams today with her.  I went from 5-1 to 4-0 at a 50%WR, but only lost two stars.  This is mainly from focusing on shooting DDs almost all game when they get spotted.  Solid damage on two or more DDs plus a cap really puts you in the running for top XP.  Try not to let points run out on a loss, get stuck in, use that 20 second repair and hurt some stuff on the way down.

At have been happily surprised how many stars I have been saving.

Dont panic about your WR dropping off from the 10 bracket, you are against better players and will likely see a drop in WR, its normal.  What would be a bad sign is if you were on the top half of the team XP wise, then all of a sudden a lot of the time you are in the bottom half of the team.  At that point you need to start thinking about what changed.  A common one I need to remind myself of is to dial back some aggression in R5-R1.  Players there are more likely to hit their shots, position better etc.  That reminder to be a bit more selective in the fights I pick helps me not get nuked in the opening few minutes.

If you would like I will do a private replay analysis if you PM me a replay.  Maybe I can find something that will help you out.

[PRNA]
Members
494 posts
5,282 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I had a bad run of teams today with her.  I went from 5-1 to 4-0 at a 50%WR, but only lost two stars.  This is mainly from focusing on shooting DDs almost all game when they get spotted.  Solid damage on two or more DDs plus a cap really puts you in the running for top XP.  Try not to let points run out on a loss, get stuck in, use that 20 second repair and hurt some stuff on the way down.

At have been happily surprised how many stars I have been saving.

Dont panic about your WR dropping off from the 10 bracket, you are against better players and will likely see a drop in WR, its normal.  What would be a bad sign is if you were on the top half of the team XP wise, then all of a sudden a lot of the time you are in the bottom half of the team.  At that point you need to start thinking about what changed.  A common one I need to remind myself of is to dial back some aggression in R5-R1.  Players there are more likely to hit their shots, position better etc.  That reminder to be a bit more selective in the fights I pick helps me not get nuked in the opening few minutes.

If you would like I will do a private replay analysis if you PM me a replay.  Maybe I can find something that will help you out.

Yeah, the problem wasn't win rate as much as going from the top to the middle or bottom XP wise. I think I lost a total of 1 star from rank 10 to rank 5, and another from 5 to 4. After that the known name clans started popping up more frequently, and BB populations fell. Less opportunities to surprise someone with the heal, or get a key torp off would be what I attribute to the slowdown. Damage numbers were always less than my Kita by about 10k on average, but when I cant find that lone DD (that isn't a Mogador) I've had to restrict my play.

My style was generally go big in the start because I have the HP to trade, get more passive while my buddies rotate in and trade some of their HP, and then look for opportunities for any big ticket plays, like rushing an isolated BB around an island or ambushing a Kitakaze who has already smoked. Lower ranks have much more of these opportunities. Starting out with risky-ish plays (shooting a spotted Kita at 10km to prompt other DDs to expose themselves to our team, extending a bit further than I usually would to try for unexpected spots or misplays by the enemy DDs, that sort of thing) doesn't net as much which should be expected. Additionally games usually don't present any of the obvious over-matches lower tiers do with ship placement, which is what allows for those later plays. It feels like games more often than not turn into relatively equal slug fests, which I'm having issue netting top results in. Not that I'm a bad player, I'm just not exceptionally exceptional which may be required. I don't know.

That's besides the obvious stupid plays I make from time to time like eating a torp meant for my BB, or doing a silly push that I know is silly because I want to try it and getting punished.

Edit: Switched out of RPF build, and into guns. IMMEDIATE increase in damage and star saving. It's guns guns guns up here. I'll miss my indicator and timely torps, but for ranked at least I think I have to stick with the gun build.

Edited by Sou1forge

[CUTER]
3,195 posts
12,721 battles
7 hours ago, Sou1forge said:

Yeah, the problem wasn't win rate as much as going from the top to the middle or bottom XP wise. I think I lost a total of 1 star from rank 10 to rank 5, and another from 5 to 4. After that the known name clans started popping up more frequently, and BB populations fell. Less opportunities to surprise someone with the heal, or get a key torp off would be what I attribute to the slowdown. Damage numbers were always less than my Kita by about 10k on average, but when I cant find that lone DD (that isn't a Mogador) I've had to restrict my play.

My style was generally go big in the start because I have the HP to trade, get more passive while my buddies rotate in and trade some of their HP, and then look for opportunities for any big ticket plays, like rushing an isolated BB around an island or ambushing a Kitakaze who has already smoked. Lower ranks have much more of these opportunities. Starting out with risky-ish plays (shooting a spotted Kita at 10km to prompt other DDs to expose themselves to our team, extending a bit further than I usually would to try for unexpected spots or misplays by the enemy DDs, that sort of thing) doesn't net as much which should be expected. Additionally games usually don't present any of the obvious over-matches lower tiers do with ship placement, which is what allows for those later plays. It feels like games more often than not turn into relatively equal slug fests, which I'm having issue netting top results in. Not that I'm a bad player, I'm just not exceptionally exceptional which may be required. I don't know.

That's besides the obvious stupid plays I make from time to time like eating a torp meant for my BB, or doing a silly push that I know is silly because I want to try it and getting punished.

Edit: Switched out of RPF build, and into guns. IMMEDIATE increase in damage and star saving. It's guns guns guns up here. I'll miss my indicator and timely torps, but for ranked at least I think I have to stick with the gun build.

Yeah RPF is just too expensive for the build.  Max guns all the way, with hire DD heavy teams are you want gun DPM as your torps against good players are not likely to hit unless at close range.

Focus on setting conditions to force DDs to come to cap rather than hunt them down. You have great concealment to sit ready to spot a DD before he enters cap.

Besides if you still have teammates around if the enemy is using RPF you can get a pretty good idea what they are up to for free. I have been finding I ambush DDs a little easier when I don't have RPF as it creates doubt how close I am for the enemy DD. 

MY build I dropped AR for DE since there are so many super CA running around, the extra fire chance gives me a different option to pressure ships than with just my torp tubes.  AR is better for killing DDs, and I could change it if it stays so DD heavy.  I've been winning most of the fights without it so I haven't changed it out, but is something I'm watching.

[CUTER]
3,195 posts
12,721 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

@Sou1forge

Classic avvy.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Seen many Fletcher?

(have only played four games; one loss, three wins, in Fletcher.)

There are not too many in R5. The issue is Kitakaze has the same concealment but a lot more firepower, it doesn't repair, etc. Black is pretty close to identical except Fletcher has better torps but Black has radar.

IMO she's to vulnerable, but if it is what you have run it. The mistake I made in early ranked seasons was not playing once I got to a certain level.  I was learning and the forum in those days were pretty critical of players bringing a weaker ship to ranked. It's going to teach how to play DD well but it's going to hurt when you mess up.  

Don't go off alone, if possible let another DD scout 1km ahead.  Your job is mostly to add gun DPM into the DD catfights.  Torps can be useful but I would spec full guns to try to get as much out of them as possible.

If possible push with a radar ship to protect it with smoke, to let it get into nasty positions is one of the best plays you can make.  

[RLGN]
Members
12,231 posts
21,951 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

There are not too many in R5. The issue is Kitakaze has the same concealment but a lot more firepower, it doesn't repair, etc. Black is pretty close to identical except Fletcher has better torps but Black has radar.

IMO she's to vulnerable, but if it is what you have run it. The mistake I made in early ranked seasons was not playing once I got to a certain level.

Consider Kitakaze to be an unmanuverable pig, and have never been able to make its firepower useful.

Fletcher’s main advantage for me is in my attitude about it; I was an idiot who fxp’d high when I shouldn’t have, (Erie, Chester, St Louis, Cleveland, (T6) Des Moines.) The resulting bitterness and disappointment poison me against high tier games even now. Fletcher however has never given me reason to feel that way, it is one of the few high tiers I like to play. (Would rather play Akizuki than either KitKat or HaruHaru; would rather play Fletcher than Gearing.)

I’ll not own a Black.

Most certainly compared to you I’m a lazy, unmotivated Ranked player. I consider what WG did with Flint and Black a thumb in the eye of Ranked players who persevered and eventually got them, and have repeatedly said as much. As far as I’m concerned I haven’t earned Black, and I’ll not go back on that now, despite having enough steel to get one. (Snowflakes, plus the little Ranked I do play. FTR; I’ve never Ranked out except in Sprint.)

Believe my Fletch is set up for guns, but also with poor Man’s radar, RPF. At the limited level I play, it is sufficient. Along with map awareness it has for the most part allowed me to stay out of trouble and sweep flanks to spot and chase people out from behind rocks with my torps.

The only trouble I’ve had with radar was from a Kronstadt in my second game, and the player was unable to make it hurt thanks to my allies putting on appropriate hurt.

Fletcher may be vulnerable, but that hardly matters, as I’ve no ambitions related to the Ranked level where you said it does.

As a point of detail; I’ve used my guns when appropriate, but have scored more total damage with my torpedoes, which are my preferred damage generator in any case.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Sign in to follow this