You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

WG, Please fix the rudder lock issue!

15 comments in this topic

[SAA]
Members
509 posts
5,812 battles

I am now frustrated enough to post here...

For those that don't know, when close to land OR when collision alarm is going off, the rudder will go full lock to the opposite way of commanded.  Doesn't matter is collision avoidance is on or off.  This happens nearly every game to me, and it is very distracting when it happens as you have to fight the rudder until you get your course pointed away from land.  It has also led to becoming beached at bad times (there usually isn't a good time).  The bug has been there since the day 8.6 dropped.

This problem has been pointed in a couple of threads in bug forum but there has been no official or even semi-official response about it.  I see quite of few people posting about it, so I think this issue is widespread and serious enough to warrant a hot patch, or at least a we are working on it announcement...

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles
5 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Go to settings, controls and unselect the 'collision avoidance' or 'terrain avoidance' option. 

There is a bug in the q/e steering. They fix will be in the next patch.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
4 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I am now frustrated enough to post here...

For those that don't know, when close to land OR when collision alarm is going off, the rudder will go full lock to the opposite way of commanded.  Doesn't matter is collision avoidance is on or off.  This happens nearly every game to me, and it is very distracting when it happens as you have to fight the rudder until you get your course pointed away from land.  It has also led to becoming beached at bad times (there usually isn't a good time).  The bug has been there since the day 8.6 dropped.

This problem has been pointed in a couple of threads in bug forum but there has been no official or even semi-official response about it.  I see quite of few people posting about it, so I think this issue is widespread and serious enough to warrant a hot patch, or at least a we are working on it announcement...

I’ve been a q-e guy since the beginning and this bug has been enormously frustrating. I have found the a-d isn’t affected so if I’m even around an island I make a conscious effort to switch to a-d for rudder control and it’s been working reasonably well. 

They have acknowledged the bug in the bug thread- they said they’ll fix it but something else will get broken...you’ll try to fire torpedoes but radar you don’t have equipped on your ship will light off instead and illuminate all the players on your team for the enemy- or something equally ridiculous. 

Just wait until they release flubmarines... that’ll be a gong show. 

Edited by _ENO_

[TORCH]
Members
313 posts
10,656 battles

I've had occasional rudder problems since I started playing.  Never SURE if it's some sort of bug, or if I just accidentally hit some wrong key in a moment of panic.  If it truly involves only the q and e keys...is there a way to disable those two keys?  I almost never use them anyway.  Much prefer using a and d for rudder commands.  I do know I've sometimes hit q or e accidentally, when going for a or d, or even w.  I would just as soon disable the q and e keys completely, so they don't do anything.

[LOSC]
Members
470 posts

I see the rudder problem also and it is not always around land areas.

It may be me wearing a tinfoil hat, but it also seems like it happens at times when an enemy locks on to my ship, as I am retreating away.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,539 posts
17,116 battles
10 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's quite damaging and they are knowingly refusing to fix it in a timely manner.

It's not costing them enough money yet and they have other priorities - like selling historical captains and camos :)

9 hours ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

In Soviet Russia, you do not fix rudder,  rudder fix you!

One more reason not to play the game … it would be nice if they could put cornfields on every island - apparently that's how Russians land their planes now

Edited by Commander_367

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,476 posts
16,267 battles

The Q/E bug has put me into more islands than I care to remember.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

The Q/E bug has put me into more islands than I care to remember.

Yeah I’ll think I’ve straightened my rudder while engaged and not paying attention but it’s locked all the way on the other side instead.  

It’s a stupid problem I’ve just gotten used to and worked around. 

Edited by _ENO_

[SAA]
Members
509 posts
5,812 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

Yeah I’ll think I’ve straightened my rudder while engaged and not paying attention but it’s locked all the way on the other side instead.  

It’s a stupid problem I’ve just gotten used to and worked around. 

Have you had the problem before 8.6?

I would use A/D instead to straighten up, but I use my left hand for mouse.  I re-assigned the Q/E and W/S to the arrow keys on the right side of the keyboard, so  I never use A and D. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,125 posts
18 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

We should demand compensation for this bug.

It's quite damaging 

You realize that those aren't real warships you are running aground, don't you?

What I'd wish they'd do is give an option to turn the terrain collision warning off all together. If I want to hit an island and get stuck then it's my own damn business!

Edited by Snargfargle

[TARK]
Members
4,421 posts
1,671 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You realize that those aren't real warships you are running aground, don't you?

What I'd wish they'd do is give an option to turn the terrain collision warning off all together. If I want to hit an island and get stuck then it's my own damn business!

They have given out compensation before for game problems that are their own making.

They have plenty of nonmonetary rewards to choose from.

This is not an unreasonable or difficult request.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
12 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Have you had the problem before 8.6?

No.