You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

About money

18 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
410 posts
7,467 battles

I've been playing well over the year and I was buying various stuff in the game. I was just walking around and thinking what I regret and what not, here are my observations:

- Low tier prem ships (tiers 2-6): waste of money, maybe except Giulio Cesare. You just grow out of it and they are all sitting in port collecting snowflakes.

- Tier 7-8 prem ships: after coal and free xp ships started to appear I regret buying many of them. After I got Musashi there is no reason to play Ashitaka; after I got Jean Bart my Gascogne is mostly a port queen. I see more and more free ships coming so I regret these purchases more and more...

- High tier prem ships: I'm glad I didn't buy any and I have no plans to buy them in the future. Actually, I think it's generally a bad idea to buy prem ships now because there are many other ways: coal, free xp, lucky mission (I had several), supercontainer, gambling. My rule is to buy ship only if I really really want it and only when I get at least 30% discount. Long live coal mines.

- Ship prem account: that was a good one though I had doubts. You can unlock most ships in the game and buy them, after that just enjoy the game. Again--buy it at discount around Christmas.

- Chrismas/Black Friday boxes: actually it was a good idea. Just don't overspend. You get some ships, some doubloons--overall good value. I think I'm shifting to a schedule when I'm opening my wallet once a year.

- Camos and flags: never bought them and not going to; there is a constant stream of them from containers and missions. There also missions once in a while to get permacamos for some ships and I have quite a lot so I think when prem account ends I won't renew it just because I won't be bleeding credits.

What I'd like to pay for: checkbox to remove players with WR below 50% from all my matches. I know it's not going to happen but bad players is my constant source of frustration in the game. I know that clan wars is a solution but I can't play on schedule. Anyway--don't be harsh in comments, these are mostly my reflections for WG.

• Cool 2

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
11,683 battles
19 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

What I'd like to pay for: checkbox to remove players with WR below 50% from all my matches. I know it's not going to happen but bad players is my constant source of frustration in the game. I know that clan wars is a solution but I can't play on schedule. Anyway--don't be harsh in comments, these are mostly my reflections for WG.

Do you realize in a PvP mode we can't all be winners? If you created a mode where players with only a 50% win rate could play, half the players in every game would still lose? Eventually, players with 50% win rates would have sub 50% win rates, even though they started out as "better players."

Most of the rest I agree with. I have only bought one premium ship at full price (Kutuzov), and don't regret it. All the others were either at discount, or were event ships I got doubloons back for. I play some premiums below T8 besides GC, though most of the ones I don't were either reward ships or from containers. So far, holiday containers have been the best "Vaule" if there is such a thing in a Fremium game.

I disagree on Premium Time. Wargaming isn't a hobby, they need a revenue stream to make updating the game worthwhile. I se Premium Time as a good mechanism for this. Plus, the bonuses cut down on grinds so I can play the ships I want to, rather than grind as much.

[SIDE]
Members
2,824 posts

Lower tier premiums can be a lot of fun and you can drop high tier captains anytime you want to deal club without the retraining required for line ship swaps. Vampire, Albert, Warpite quickly come to mind.

Using coal and xp is another way to buy higher tier premium ships but there can be cash costs for fxp conversion and many premium ships are only available for other-than doubloons or cash. Also, I think that while power creep is real you are also confusing tiers here. 

Premium time is always good. On sale is even better.

Agree that camo and flags are plentiful in game and a waste of cash. 

Disagree 100%. While I understand the sentiment you come off as way too elitist here. Perhaps integrate wr into part of the mm algorithm somehow to better balance teams but buying out is a yuppie play.

Edited by thebigblue

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

I love the low tier premiums. Not one was a waste of money or time in my opinion. I'd rather play T5 than T10 any-day. I've been doing divisions with new players I recruited and re-visiting ships T2-T5 trying to help the new guys get familiar with the game. It's a blast...

I'd like to see a low tier premium CV actually. Sounds fun :)

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[-1]
Members
410 posts
7,467 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

And then, after playing with pure unicums for long enough, you will dip below 50% WR and lose access.

Well, you all miss the point. Of course WR does not make sense after this checkbox. It may be a separate game mode where it becomes accessible only if you have certain WR level or something else. The point is to cut off players that play poorly. And yes, I realize that I will be losing more, but you know what? My best time spent in this game is playing top ranks during ranked sprints. I KNOW that I will like it.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,333 posts
7,178 battles
6 hours ago, dimzzy said:

Well, you all miss the point. Of course WR does not make sense after this checkbox. It may be a separate game mode where it becomes accessible only if you have certain WR level or something else. The point is to cut off players that play poorly. And yes, I realize that I will be losing more, but you know what? My best time spent in this game is playing top ranks during ranked sprints. I KNOW that I will like it.

Missing the point that you never mentioned. We are not mind readers.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,665 posts
10,504 battles

The things I regret buying, with reasons:

Permacamo for Icarus - because WG gave me one later, in the PEF event.

Permacamo for Dallas - for the same reason.

Permacamo for La Galissonniere - because WG gave me one later, during Space Battles.

Yubari - because she later became a coal ship.

Tachibana - because WG let us win the Tachi Lima not long after I'd bought her.

It's hilariously ironic that my only purchase regrets in this game are because of WG's later generosity. :Smile_teethhappy:

Against that, I've picked up enough free permacamos for tech-tree ships over the last six to nine months to offset all the accidental "losses".

[ARGSY]
Members
10,102 posts
15,458 battles

i have over 600 free camo that are as good or better than  perma camo.   enough to finish all the lines to t10 that I have remaining .      not in real l hurry to get perma camo. only one I purchased is on hindy  

[-BRS-]
Members
1,283 posts
6,362 battles

The problem might not be sub 50% win rate, it's imbalance between ships.  Look at tier 7 or 8 cruisers.  From least to most average damage, there is a discrepancy of the top performing ships doing double the average damage.  Add that to +/- 2 tier matchmaking and all the other variables, captain skills, flags, I believe that leads to a lot of the problems. 

You can't match by win rate because it will skew stats.  The above 50% will face tougher competition while the sub 50% will not.  This will artificially push everyone towards 50%.  Random needs to be random.  What they could do is balance the ships and have each tier's ships performing similar. 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[WOLF3]
Members
22,845 posts
20,774 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The things I regret buying, with reasons:

Permacamo for Icarus - because WG gave me one later, in the PEF event.

Permacamo for Dallas - for the same reason.

Permacamo for La Galissonniere - because WG gave me one later, during Space Battles.

Yubari - because she later became a coal ship.

Tachibana - because WG let us win the Tachi Lima not long after I'd bought her.

It's hilariously ironic that my only purchase regrets in this game are because of WG's later generosity. :Smile_teethhappy:

Against that, I've picked up enough free permacamos for tech-tree ships over the last six to nine months to offset all the accidental "losses".

Did you have Atago before ARP Takao came into the game? :Smile_trollface:

[A-I-M]
Members
2,233 posts
11,369 battles
16 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

And then, after playing with pure unicums for long enough, you will dip below 50% WR and lose access.

And the unconsidered offshoot of this is, the sub-50% pool will play each other and generate some 50%+ players, and back into the winners bracket those guys will go.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,665 posts
10,504 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Did you have Atago before ARP Takao came into the game? :Smile_trollface:

LOL no. I missed the ARP event by a country mile (through not having started playing early enough), and do not own the Atago.

I think the Dragon ships (Myoko clones) came AFTER their ARP cousins, and are WG's property rather than a specific collaboration. At the very least, I saw the Eastern Dragon for sale last year (in a package with the Atlanta), but I already had the Atlanta so I did not buy the package.

[TDRB]
Members
3,530 posts
10,833 battles
18 hours ago, dimzzy said:

I've been playing well over the year and I was buying various stuff in the game. I was just walking around and thinking what I regret and what not, here are my observations:

- Low tier prem ships (tiers 2-6): waste of money, maybe except Giulio Cesare. You just grow out of it and they are all sitting in port collecting snowflakes.

- Tier 7-8 prem ships: after coal and free xp ships started to appear I regret buying many of them. After I got Musashi there is no reason to play Ashitaka; after I got Jean Bart my Gascogne is mostly a port queen. I see more and more free ships coming so I regret these purchases more and more...

- High tier prem ships: I'm glad I didn't buy any and I have no plans to buy them in the future. Actually, I think it's generally a bad idea to buy prem ships now because there are many other ways: coal, free xp, lucky mission (I had several), supercontainer, gambling. My rule is to buy ship only if I really really want it and only when I get at least 30% discount. Long live coal mines.

- Ship prem account: that was a good one though I had doubts. You can unlock most ships in the game and buy them, after that just enjoy the game. Again--buy it at discount around Christmas.

- Chrismas/Black Friday boxes: actually it was a good idea. Just don't overspend. You get some ships, some doubloons--overall good value. I think I'm shifting to a schedule when I'm opening my wallet once a year.

- Camos and flags: never bought them and not going to; there is a constant stream of them from containers and missions. There also missions once in a while to get permacamos for some ships and I have quite a lot so I think when prem account ends I won't renew it just because I won't be bleeding credits.

As most opinions, this one is very subjective.

I have several T4 or lower premium ships. Most were rewards, those that I paid for cost a $5 or 99¢. They provide some fun at times.

I find T6 & T7 premiums worth the money. These premium ships have accelerated my quest for a second & 3rd 19pt commander. Ops does have decent rewards.

Crates are always a gamble.

I farm ops so my T6 7 T7's make good use of permacamos IMO. Also they help keep T9 & T10 game play affordable.

Yes, my opinion is subjective too.

[WORX]
Members
7,150 posts
16,453 battles

Low tier prem ships (tiers 2-6): waste of money, maybe except Giulio Cesare.

OP/over capable ships like this one^^^^ (and others like them in different tiers)is the main reason

What I'd like to pay for: checkbox to remove players with WR below 50% from all my matches. I know it's not going to happen but bad players is my constant source of frustration in the game.

why this ^^^ is happening. Because of WGs progression in catering to players like you (regular tech ships are far weaker VS the premium ships... Except RU BBs)

I've been playing well over the year and I was buying various stuff in the game.

^^^ They were able to make a profit off gamers like you...

As I see it, what I just noted above is unsustainable.

I just play until the expiration date arrives. Then just move on.

Edited by Navalpride33