Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wows_Nightly_News

Peruvian Navy to preserve Almirante Grau

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,691 posts
8,521 battles

BAP Almirante Grau (Former @Lertnavy ship De  Ruyter) was the last gun cruiser in service anywhere in the world. After 64 years of service between the Peruvian and Dutch navies, she was finally retired in 2017. Given the age of the ship and the spooky chemicals she might have had, there were a lot of doubts that she would be preserved. However preliminary inspections have been surprisingly optimistic and the Navy announced that they have set aside funds to turn her into a Lima Museum.

image.thumb.png.db4432159d17ae50fc8d6c8f2e8b7674.png

Now if only War Gaming adds her I might get back in.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles

This is amazing news. I about jumped for joy when I originally heard. Thanks for posting!

I don't think I'll ever be able to visit her, but just knowing she'll be preserved means a lot to me as a fan both of the Dutch navy and history in general.

[SIDE]
Members
2,862 posts

Wait, Peru has a navy? I mean its just a federal jobs program or something, right?

JK!

I am very happy to hear the old girl will he preserved. That's quite a long period of service!

Edited by thebigblue

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles
6 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

That's quite a long period of service!

Laid down 1939, commissioned to a radical redesign in 1953, served under Dutch flag until 1973, and under Peruvian flag until 2017. Yeah, long service life!

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
442 posts
17,023 battles

Well, there's a reason for me to go to Peru then. I always loved the De Zeven Provinciën class. Glad they chose to preserve her.

Members
1,691 posts
8,521 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Laid down 1939, commissioned to a radical redesign in 1953, served under Dutch flag until 1973, and under Peruvian flag until 2017. Yeah, long service life!

It's crazy to think that a ship decommission in 2017 was captured by Germany during WWII and nearly sunk by them as a block-ship.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles
3 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

It's crazy to think that a ship decommission in 2017 was captured by Germany during WWII and nearly sunk by them as a block-ship.

They initially had plans to complete her, but she wasn't far along enough in construction to make that viable.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles
3 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

So WG, when will we see De Ruyter in game?

Soon, hopefully. Here is my proposal for her.

Sign in to follow this