Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Oomirsh

Carrier Experience - I'm new to Wow (less than month)

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
2 posts
571 battles

I've worked my way up to a Langley and have just started playing co-op matches.  Obviously human players are much smarter than the AI BOTs and it's more challenging.  One theme that seems to keep happening is the lone destroyer that manages to end around to the back and find my carrier from time to time.  What I've noticed is that if I have no supporting ships I may as well write off the carrier.  I simply cannot do enough damage to make a difference before I get closed on and killed.  I've spent an entire game going after one lone battleship by myself just to see if I can sink it solo and at best I've beaten them down to half.  Mind you that I've taken full torpedo squadrons in and managed to hit with all torpedos before going back and then returning for more.  While I'm no expert I do know the mechanics of the different squadrons and can get "good" hits on ships which basically mess up the paint job.  The damage is pathetic.  Also, one torpedo at a time?  Two bombs? Only the rocket planes have a reasonable looking attack pattern.

I get a lot more kills using destroyers/battleships than I can ever get with a cv unless I happen to stumble on ships that are ready to sink from previous beatings they've taken with other ships.  At least I can defend myself in a DD or BB.

I had been thinking of buying the Enterprise due to the fact that I'm a big fan of the ship historically, but I am now seriously remorseful for having spent any money on this game at this point.  I thought air power won the war in the Pacific?  I can't even protect myself from a lone destroyer if it finds me alone in open water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,582
[HINON]
Members
12,125 posts

The T4 cvs are weak due to the fact they face many ships that have have little to no AA. At T6 and up CVs can be far more potent with practice and skill. It takes a while to learn though as their gameplay is so dissimilar to everything else you have helmed before. 

 

 

Edited by RipNuN2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
207 posts
1,139 battles

T4 is depressing for CVs (for now), if you can spend your free exp to get t6, where the real fun starts

Oh and watch this channel, the guy upload CVs videos

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,149
Members
2,487 posts
4,169 battles
On 8/16/2019 at 11:03 AM, Oomirsh said:

I've worked my way up to a Langley and have just started playing co-op matches.  Obviously human players are much smarter than the AI BOTs and it's more challenging.  One theme that seems to keep happening is the lone destroyer that manages to end around to the back and find my carrier from time to time.  What I've noticed is that if I have no supporting ships I may as well write off the carrier.  I simply cannot do enough damage to make a difference before I get closed on and killed.  I've spent an entire game going after one lone battleship by myself just to see if I can sink it solo and at best I've beaten them down to half.  Mind you that I've taken full torpedo squadrons in and managed to hit with all torpedos before going back and then returning for more.  While I'm no expert I do know the mechanics of the different squadrons and can get "good" hits on ships which basically mess up the paint job.  The damage is pathetic.  Also, one torpedo at a time?  Two bombs? Only the rocket planes have a reasonable looking attack pattern.

I get a lot more kills using destroyers/battleships than I can ever get with a cv unless I happen to stumble on ships that are ready to sink from previous beatings they've taken with other ships.  At least I can defend myself in a DD or BB.

I had been thinking of buying the Enterprise due to the fact that I'm a big fan of the ship historically, but I am now seriously remorseful for having spent any money on this game at this point.  I thought air power won the war in the Pacific?  I can't even protect myself from a lone destroyer if it finds me alone in open water.

Keep moving with the pack.  Far enough behind to not be spotted or shot at,  close enough to get support if something finds you.  If you are spotted and nothing is in range,  put your CV on an erratic movement pattern.  Zig zag that auto-movement while you search for the offending DD.  When you do find it,  rockets and bombs.  Any DD captain worth his salt is going to laugh at your attempts at torping him or her.  On the flipside,  it can help you by forcing them into maneuvers,  buying time so its up to you if you want to try to trash them personally or buy enough time for allies to assist.  Also,  mark the target on the map and ask for help in chat.  Won't always happen,  but its worth a shot.

And the bad news is,  CV damage is based on an over time model.  You're never ((Barring detonations)) going to deal a ton of damage with a single squadron.  And with the current AA model,  you most likely aren't even going to get the benefit of using all of your planes for damage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,902 posts
6,918 battles
On 8/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, RipNuN2 said:

The T4 cvs are weak due to the fact they face many ships that have have little to no AA. At T6 and up CVs can be far more potent with practice and skill. It takes a while to learn though as their gameplay is so dissimilar to everything else you have helmed before. 

 

 

:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,666
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,019 battles

Do not spend money on the Enterprise until you unlock the tier tier 8 carrier and decide then if you like CV play. I did something similar a long while back buying the Kaga and then I realized I hated the IJN carriers. I felt I had wasted my money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
272
[TF16B]
Modder
510 posts
678 battles

Enterprise does seem to be the popular option for tier VIII US CV’s. I may have seen a Saipan less than a handful of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[POP]
Members
579 posts
6,646 battles
19 hours ago, Mailman653 said:

Enterprise does seem to be the popular option for tier VIII US CV’s. I may have seen a Saipan less than a handful of times.

The Saipan is broken currently under the new improved AA system.  In it's new form under 8.0 its gimmick was the fact that it had t10 planes that had better than average alpha however it's drawback was a small hangar and slow t10 regeneration rates.  Players who were good at target selection could minimize losses were very successful in them.  

Since 8.6 the new aa creates unavoidable losses that the Saipan simply can't cope with.  Even when top tier she can get deplaned rather quickly if you dont pre drop one squadron before every attack which drastically reduces your damage over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×