Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Words Fail Me

14 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,249 posts
19,653 battles

Firstly I would like to say all the USN fans congrats that the USS California is coming personally though I would have preferred USS Nevada or USS West Virginia if I was happy about the new WG announcement.

Sadly this is where the niceties end so lets have look at few lists down below and see where some problems are.

Germany

Tier 3                                                                Tier 6                                                                                Tier 7                                                                       Tier 8

Ship_PGSB503_Koenig_Albert.png                              Ship_PGSB506_Prinz_Eithel_Friedrich.png                       Ship_PGSB507_Scharnhorst.png                     Ship_PGSB002_Tirpiz_1942.png       Ship_PGSB598_Black_Tirpitz.png

Tier 6                                                                                                                  Tier 9

Ship_PGSC506_Admiral_Graf_Spee.png Ship_PGSC706_HSF_Graf_Spee.png              Ship_PGSC509_Siegfried.png

So I included the tier 6 Deutschland class ships because they have Battleship guns on there hulls hence they were affectionately known as  " Pocket battleships " reclassified some time in 1942 as Cruisers, so in my eyes there just small BBs disguised as Cruisers.

Siegfried is a O class BattleCruiser and by WG standards a Battleship as we don't have BattleCruiser lines in game , But once again WG with its Super Cruiser obsession has deemed this ship to be one :Smile_facepalm:.

Austro - Hungarian

Tier 5

Ship_PGSB504_Viribus_Unitis.png

Japan

Tier 2                                                    Tier 4                                                                      Tier 6                                                                     Tier 7                                                                  Tier 8                                                                 Tier 9

Ship_PJSB011_Mikasa_1905.png              Ship_PJSB008_Ishizuchi_1921.png                   Ship_PJSB506_Mutsu.png                 Ship_PJSB507_Ashitaka.png                Ship_PJSB507_Ashitaka.png              Ship_PJSB509_Musashi.png

Tier 9                                                    Tier 10

Ship_PJSC510_Azumaya.png               Ship_PJSC520_Yoshino.png

Again I have added the mythical B-65  " Super Cruisers " here which again are really BattleCruisers  and by game default Battleships game wise but again more of WG wisdom call them Super Cruisers as they were called so to bypass any treaties limitations they ( Japan ) signed before WW2

Russian

Tier 4                                                       Tier 5                                                                   Tier 8                                                               Tier 10

Ship_PRSB001_Nikolay_I.png           Ship_PRSB505_Oktyabrskaya_Revolutsiya.png               Ship_PRSB518_Lenin.png               Ship_PRSB510_Slava.png      Image result for pobeda ship

Tier 9                                                   Tier 10

Ship_PRSC509_Kronshtadt.png             Ship_PRSC610_Smolensk.png

Don't get me started on the so called Cruisers above the less said the better.

France

Tier 6                                                               Tier 8                                                              Tier 9                                                                  Tier 10

Ship_PFSB506_Dunkerque_1940.png            Ship_PFSB508_Gascogne.png          Ship_PFSB518_Jean_Bart.png          Ship_PFSB510_Bourgogne.png  

Britain

Tier 3                                                                Tier 6                                               Tier 7                                                                                                                                                                                                           Tier 8

Ship_PBSB503_Dreadnought.png        Ship_PBSB002_Warspite_1941.png        Ship_PBSB507_Hood.png       Ship_PBSB517_Nelson.png           Ship_PBSB527_Duke_of_York.png         Ship_PBSB508_Vanguard.png   

Tier 10

Ship_PBSB510_Thunderer.png

Italy

Tier 5                                                               Tier 8

Ship_PISB505_Giulio_Cesare.png       Ship_PISB508_Roma.png

Pan Asia                                          Commonwealth                               Pan America

N / A                                             N / A                                                      N / A

United States Of America

Tier 4                                                                 Tier 5                                                     Tier 6                                                                                                                         Tier 8

Ship_PASB013_Arkansas_1912.png        Ship_PASB705_Texas_1944.png   Ship_PASB506_Arizona_1941.png     Ship_PASB507_West_Virginia.png      Ship_PASB508_Alabama.png   Ship_PASB518_Massachusetts.png  Ship_PASB598_Black_Massachusetts.png

Tier 8                                                            Tier 9                                                                                                                           Tier 10                                           

Ship_PASB708_Alabama.png    Ship_PASB509_Missouri.png      Ship_PASB729_Georgia.png     Ohio_wows_main.jpg

Tier 9

Ship_PASC510_Alaska.png

Again added Alaska to this crowd if want to know why just read my views about other nations " Super Cruisers " no doubt there will a number of posts saying I don't what I'm talking about and you can posts those replies to the cows come home, there BattleCriusers  plain and simple.

WOW this post had made thirsty  but before I get a drink does anyone see what's wrong with these pictures, ok lets do a count of how many premium ships there from tier 6 -10 then from tier 5 down should be fun.

Tier 6 -10  = 40 including USS California ( I don't have small pic ) which are either in game or coming soon FANTASTIC :Smile_sceptic:

Tier 5 and below = 10 including one being tested,  WAIT !!!  that cant be right let me just recount them, yep just 10:Smile_sad:

I don't have a problem with High tier ships even Battleships, but myself and many others have been asking for mid to low  tier capital ships for ages and what happens the only ship coming SOON Viribus Unitis seems to have disappeared into THE MATRIX never to been seen again.

Now they announce the USS California at 20.5 knots real speed demon that will be facing ships like Musashi  and all those flamethrower cruisers, man that should be a barrel of fun for any USS California enthusiast.

Its taken me long enough on this post already but I would be curious to know how many tier 5 and below BB's came out not including Viribus Unitis and Dreadnought in the last 2 years compared to tier 6 and above.

I need a drink

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,022 posts
8,169 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Tier 6 -10  = 40 including USS California ( I don't have small pic ) which are either in game or coming soon FANTASTIC :Smile_sceptic:

Tier 5 and below = 10 including one being tested,  WAIT !!!  that cant be right let me just recount them, yep just 10:Smile_sad:

this decision is related to cash flow. the cost to make a ship does not scale the with the price in the shop.  the demand curve and price point probably optimizes around t8 which is why so many premiums are there. 

In addition i think the demand for lower tier ships falls quickly, when I first started this game I bought a premium to play with my friends. it was t6 (Molotov... huge rookie oooops) because that was the tier they were. And since then I had only looked up. why should I have a premium t5, I have 9 t5s. however, a premium T9 earns me loads of credits (Musashi). 3 years later, I am nearly done with all tech tree lines and my clan mates like to play lower tiers. its the first time I have considered a premium lower tier ship and that's lonely because I can transfer a captain for free and hit play. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,765 posts
10,628 battles
9 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Its taken me long enough on this post already but I would be curious to know how many tier 5 and below BB's came out not including Viribus Unitis and Dreadnought in the last 2 years compared to tier 6 and above.

The problem with the low-tier battleships is that with Dailies and almost all missions (with a few standout exceptions) being restricted to T5 or above, there's no incentive to play them and less incentive to produce more. WG keeps dangling such glittering prizes in front of me that it's hard to justify dusting off my Ishizuchi or Dreadnought unless there's literally nothing else for me to do.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,528 posts
19,161 battles

Are you saying you want some Russian large cruisers in the tier 5 and lower range?

Edited by Alabamastan

[WOLF5]
Members
3,061 posts
3,324 battles

No one really wants a T5 premium. Most of the T5 premiums have either been handed out for free, included with another package, or are dirt cheap. And most of them are forgettable. They take about the same effort to produce as a T10, so they don't make as much money. And I think most players don't want their premium to be T5 or lower. Economics thus dictates that most of the effort be at higher tiers. Also, there are a lot of T5 and lower premium ships, just not many BBs. So yeah, it's just not efficient for WG to make a ton of low tier premiums, they just don't do as well. Not every one is going to be happy, but that's life.

Members
2,111 posts
3,720 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The problem with the low-tier battleships is that with Dailies and almost all missions (with a few standout exceptions) being restricted to T5 or above, there's no incentive to play them and less incentive to produce more. WG keeps dangling such glittering prizes in front of me that it's hard to justify dusting off my Ishizuchi or Dreadnought unless there's literally nothing else for me to do.

... and thanks to WeeGee's frenetic event pace, there's almost always at least two things with more rewards that you could be grinding for.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles

The Deutschlands were not 'affectionately called pocket battleships and later classified cruisers' they were derisively called pocket battleships in British newscasts and propaganda, were always called panzerschiffe (armored ships) by the people who built and operated them, and they were always commerce raiding cruisers by hull design, use and intended role.

That said, I wouldn't mind more power tier premies, but the reasons we're not getting many have been mentioned already.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,252 posts
13,041 battles

The lack of low tier premiums is pretty reasonable at T5 and less in my view. Others have outlined the economic and commercial reasons not to bother too much. For myself I don't really like the low tier play, the low capability of the ships, even when they're all incapable, or the rewards. 

What's more strange to me is the distribution of premiums at high tiers. France has Jean Bart and Bourgogne with Colbert and now Marceau coming. Britain and Germany have just the lazy Thunderer and the Siegfried between them. 

The US and Japan built lots of ships so premium napkinware like Hill, Georgia, Hayate...

France: Sirocco, Aigle, Le Terrible, Marceau as premium destroyers. Britain: just Campbeltown, Gallant and Cossack. 

WG keep churning out models while ships like Indomitable (Oct 2018), Yahagi and others linger on. Is Yudachi (Dec 2018) out yet?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
398 posts
8,035 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

The Deutschlands were not 'affectionately called pocket battleships and later classified cruisers' they were derisively called pocket battleships in British newscasts and propaganda, were always called panzerschiffe (armored ships) by the people who built and operated them, and they were always commerce raiding cruisers by hull design, use and intended role.
. . .

now Lert, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant :Smile_veryhappy:

[POP]
Members
2,249 posts
19,653 battles
25 minutes ago, Lert said:

That said, I wouldn't mind more power tier premies, but the reasons we're not getting many have been mentioned already.

I am aware of the term panzerschiffe  I have a number of books about said ships including this one

Image result for german cruiser books

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
5,238 posts
16,461 battles

T4 and below are learning tiers.  Call them low tier.

T5 is a transition tier.  Low to mid.

T6 and T7 are the real mid tiers.

T8 is a transition tier. Mid to High.

T8 and T10 are high tiers.

To simplify, one could just include the transition tier into the next tier like so:

T4 and below:  Low

T5 - T7: Mid

T8-T10: High

There are many real good T5 Premiums.  Premiums that, in the right hands, make very good clubbers.  But they also see T7, which is a great equalizer between veteran and learners moving up.

Here's the crux:  WG does not want to populate the T4 and and below with Premium clubbers unless they are nerf'd (a la Mikasa) or otherwise limited.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,371 posts
9,171 battles

it's morning where you are tm, so have a glass of bubbly 8797794697246.png with your breakfast.

but yes, soo many premiums in the pipeline. you know what I am thinking? They are going to stuff a few/some/many into the Research Bureau.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
4 hours ago, Lert said:

I wouldn't say they were "derisively" called pocket battleships.   It was more of a marketing thing to increase their own naval budget.

"Look at those cruisers!  Those are pretty much pocket-sized battleships!  We need more money in our naval budget to counter them!"

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this