Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BeastLoad

Guepard thoughts?

25 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
431 battles

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Guepard French Destroyer.   Not having smoke is definitely a bummer, but they get extra bonuses on some consumables. 

On the other tier 6 dd's the engine boost consumable adds 8% to top speed and lasts for 120 or 180 seconds.  On the Guepard it adds 20% and lasts for 270 seconds.  Add on the Special Upgrade engine boost from the armory that gives you another +50 % on duration and you can zip around for 4 and a half minutes at about 45 knots.  Pretty fun.  And if you find yourself alone against another dd, the reload boost and gun can take them down pretty fast.   

Members
481 posts
72 battles

Its a Beast. Its a pure DD Hunter/KIller that has the potential to take out the entire enemy DD fleet in a match when played correctly. Love the fact that you have to play smart at all times, no mistakes. Plan you engagements and rule the seas.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles

So far, based on the Guepard, Jaguar and Siroco, my feeling is of a line that keeps the user on his or her toes and punishes mistakes harshly, with reward for good aim and positioning. There are times I'm up for that and times I'm not. I don't think I'll ever be a French destroyer main, but trying to get good in them is going to be a lot of fun.

Members
422 posts
202 battles
43 minutes ago, BeastLoad said:

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Guepard French Destroyer.   Not having smoke is definitely a bummer, but they get extra bonuses on some consumables. 

On the other tier 6 dd's the engine boost consumable adds 8% to top speed and lasts for 120 or 180 seconds.  On the Guepard it adds 20% and lasts for 270 seconds.  Add on the Special Upgrade engine boost from the armory that gives you another +50 % on duration and you can zip around for 4 and a half minutes at about 45 knots.  Pretty fun.  And if you find yourself alone against another dd, the reload boost and gun can take them down pretty fast.   

I have had no problem making short work of any French DD in an RU DD. They literally bring nothing new to the game and are overall very Meh.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[-K-]
Members
7,499 posts
12,210 battles
37 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

but trying to get good in them is going to be a lot of fun.

I like this sentiment.  The difference between success and failure with these ships will be like riding the razor's edge.  It will be intense, and likely not for many, but it will definitely not be boring.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I like this sentiment. 

I assure you, the first few battles I took them into were enough to produce the sort of language that would earn me an extended forum ban if I used it here. Were it not for the tokens locked behind them and the permacamos they can buy, I would be leaving them all well enough alone until I'd played my way up from Tier 2 and worked out a personal meta that got me the best results. If all else fails I can play them in co-op, where DD life all day every day is YOLO anyway, and I have to admit that probably suits my destroyer-playing temperament better. 

[SALVO]
Members
23,434 posts
24,054 battles
50 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I have had no problem making short work of any French DD in an RU DD. They literally bring nothing new to the game and are overall very Meh.

Mike, 2 things.

1.  Last I knew, you were one of the best players of RU DDs on the NA server, and I suspect that you have no problem making short work of most any DD while playing your beloved RU DDs.  So, you saying this seems quite pointless to me. 

2.  I think that you're wrong to say that the French DDs being nothing new to the game.  Other DDs *can* ambush the enemy.  French DDs are designed almost specifically with ambushing in mind.  

Edited by Crucis

Members
17 posts
431 battles
52 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

Perhaps, but I made easy work of the tier 6 GNEVNY RU DD a couple of times.  Advantages for Guepard: 3100 more hp, bigger guns, faster turrets, 5 guns aimed at target to his 4 guns, higher fire chance %, and faster rudder shift time.  He'd already shot his torps, and it was over before he could think of reloading them. 

With the reload boost, and all 5 guns in use she can drop 25 rounds in 15 seconds.  It was over quickly.  

Members
17 posts
431 battles
35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Does anyone know the difference between 'then' and 'than'?  It's "better THAN", not "better then".

Unless you were "better then" than you are now.  Then it's more than that and less than that, and better than a cat in the hat.

• Funny 2

[POP]
Members
1,528 posts
19,139 battles

I love them so far. I think they are strong, but I think they will be hard on people who are not used to a playstyle like that.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,502 posts
8,105 battles

Fun ship - eats DD's for breakfast.  Can smack cruisers. In the right Operations, a fiend.  As mentioned, has issues against Russian DD's.  Does not uptier well. 

Meh in Co-op - way better DD's, including the Aingle if you want to pay for something.

Vauqeulin & Siroco are significantly better ships for the DD meta I live in  (torp, turn,  & burn).

[NUWES]
Members
2,713 posts
8,684 battles
2 hours ago, BeastLoad said:

^This pretty much. I'm loving the French DDs but it is a very different skill set that they use. I had been practicing on Le Terrible and I had been watching @Notser videos on Le Terrible and Le Fantasque so I had a good idea what I was in for with Guepard. They all can ambush other DDs if they catch them unawares and the key to that is to get on them FAST and not give them time to take advantage of their better concealment. You murder the other DD quickly before his or her allies realize you are there and intervene, then speed away from the scene of your crime. Rinse and repeat until all other DD opposition is dead, then it is happy hunting time on their battleships. Pray that any CVs are clueless because there isn't much you can do about them except dodge and hope. 

The higher tier French DDs are easier because they are so much faster than any other DD even without the speed boost. They can save it for when the need it. Guepard and the low tiers (Tier 7 and down) are actually not that fast without the speed boost. They need to use it all the time (thankfully as you said it lasts a lot longer). They also have to be more careful because the lead times for the enemy to target them aren't nearly as severe as Le Fantasque and up and they are really big targets.  People should put the duration extension module on every French DD that can take it. 

Members
1,975 posts
7,013 battles
2 hours ago, BeastLoad said:

Thanks for the tip (regarding the speed boost).

I've got the Guepard.
1.  Typical slow (French) turret rotation.  (Similar to Aigle.)
2.  Decent, but not overwhelming, torpedo load-out.
3.  The "powerful" guns of this French DD still take a while to destroy a fort in a scenario game.  ;-)
4.  The large detection radius isn't helping hunt other DD's or ambush other ships.  (The detection radius of 7.5 km is 1/2 km larger than the 8 km torp range).
  4.(a)  If one wants to hunt DD's, it helps to have Hydro-acoustic-search and/or RADAR.  Otherwise, sailing into smoke-screens is as dicey as ever.
5.  The "parade" camouflage does look nice.  (If I must sink, I will sink 'well dressed', eh?)
6  The "normal" speed isn't above what other DD's can do.  The speedboost helps one get out of a hot zone faster or respond to trouble quicker.
7.  That speed is "paid for" by the absence of smoke screens?  Trade-off?  Whatever.
8.  Re-load boost is available on other French ships, so it is part of the national 'flavor'.  It comes in handy at times.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
20 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The "parade" camouflage does look nice.  (If I must sink, I will sink 'well dressed', eh?)

I've read accounts from the First World War about French officers discussing how chic it would be to die in white gloves. The French uniform in general in 1914 was reminiscent of 1870; it didn't get practical until after hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen were killed or wounded.

• Cool 1

Members
1,975 posts
7,013 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've read accounts from the First World War about French officers discussing how chic it would be to die in white gloves. The French uniform in general in 1914 was reminiscent of 1870; it didn't get practical until after hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen were killed or wounded.

It is a paraphrasing of a line from the movie "The Patriot".  :-)
"Major Jean Villeneuve : If I die I will die well dressed."

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It is a paraphrasing of a line from the movie "The Patriot".  :-)

Nothing much seems to have changed about the French attitude to war between then and 1914, it seems!

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
5 hours ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Its a Beast. Its a pure DD Hunter/KIller that has the potential to take out the entire enemy DD fleet in a match when played correctly. Love the fact that you have to play smart at all times, no mistakes. Plan you engagements and rule the seas.

And it's absolutely useless in a CV game...:Smile_teethhappy:

And honestly, what is wrong with people, the few serious players in this game somehow think the average player is to make a no smoke DD work?:Smile_facepalm:

Members
539 posts
4,879 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

And honestly, what is wrong with people, the few serious players in this game somehow think the average player is to make a no smoke DD work?:Smile_facepalm:

They have a high skill floor and high skill ceiling. Just running around peppering ships with HE and not ambushing DDs and BBs is not making full use of the ship. Maybe try a line with smoke and get comfortable with that first.

[TDRB]
Members
3,586 posts
10,978 battles

Not having smoke is definitely a bummer, but they get extra bonuses on some consumables. 

I use smoke to get out of trouble, not as an offensive cloaking device. But you can't help missing smoke. The Guepard is like an Atlanta that traded most gun mounts for better torpedo armament & better guns.

It isn't the easiest ship to learn but I find it fun to play.

• Cool 1

[VETSN]
Members
1,055 posts

If a CV wants you dead, you’re dead.  If he can’t hit you, he’ll stick around long enough for the rest of the team to hunt you down.  AA is pure trash.

err...  other than that, it’s a fun ship, but I feel it should be a tad faster.  

Edited by BarneyStyle

[KMK]
Members
217 posts
9,530 battles

This DDs are really fun to play, I have Sirocco, Jaguar, Guepard and Vauqueline I love this last one. But guepard is not bad. The key is fire guns when max speed and ambush with torps (they are fast). Keep distance all time you can. But you can contest caps with support., when the Battery reload buster is on you can win any dd duel.

Members
481 posts
72 battles
8 hours ago, awiggin said:

Well if the cv wants to waste half the game chasing after you...

And who said this line was for the aversge player? The average player struggles to survive the first 7 min of the game in a Kremlin.

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this