Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ItzYaBoyMe

leander and lighting

8 comments in this topic

[CUJO]
Members
25 posts
5,119 battles

Just realized that lighting has the same torps then Leander why is that? i mean there two tiers apart i know each ship has there gimmick i just think its weird too me

[HINON]
Members
12,125 posts

Maybe they carried the same ones in real life. Just a guess :cap_haloween:

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[DENY]
Members
8,926 posts
9,933 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Maybe they carried the same ones in real life. Just a guess :cap_haloween:

Oh, noes, there's just no way that happened! :cap_haloween:

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,781 posts
9,663 battles

I wouldn't exactly call it a gimmick, it's actually a fairly common thing for torp focused cruiser lines to have significantly more powerful torpedoes than their low tier DD counterparts.  It's just that the RN DDs also have VERY poor torpedo power growth between tiers.

For example, the t5 IJN CA Furutaka has 59kt 10km torps w/ 16400 damage.  The best IJN torps on a DD at that tier do 2k less damage and are only 8km.
Leander has 8km torps w/ 15700 damage.  But compared to Icarus at the same tier, the only difference between the two is that Leander's torps are slightly less damage and have 1km more range.

Basically the RN DDs torps only gain +1km in range from tier 6 to tier 8.   That's the most jarring part I think.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,663 posts
10,504 battles
8 hours ago, ItzYaBoyMe said:

Just realized that lighting has the same torps then Leander why is that? i mean there two tiers apart i know each ship has there gimmick i just think its weird too me

Lightning has very good concealment, and I guess they felt giving her longer-range torpedoes would make her too powerful when she faces Tier 6. That's all very well, but it does put her at a nasty disadvantage against T10, and you have to play her cautiously there. The upside is that from T7 onwards, the guns on British destroyers start to get really good. If you catch a Japanese torpedo destroyer (e.g. Kagero) out at close range (like I did last night) and your shooting is good enough (which mine was not quite), you can wreck it in short order (which I just failed to do, LOL; he sneaked off behind a rock with just over 300HP left, and with my hydro on cooldown I didn't want to follow in case he had metal fishies out for me).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,231 posts
12,965 battles

Balance.

Given Cossack with her 10km torps sank shortly after Lightning even came into service... 

Sign in to follow this