You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

How detectable are the Hatsuharu torps?

9 comments in this topic

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles

I don't mind this boat but I find it often almost impossible to land a torp hit. Its like the enemy ships can detect the torps as soon as they are fired... A previos game I was chasing after a group of tier 8 BB's heading for our cap, fired 12 torps in 2 minutes at them at 7k range, not a single hit, all of them evaded the sluggish torps. Even a Tirpitz sideon at under 7k easily anticipated the torps and evaded them, I wasn't even detected. Jump into the Benson or Fletcher and no such problem, the torps are a little faster but most of the time they hit home.

I used to have a lot of fun in this boat but more and more games are just frustration, its sluggish guns don't hurt much either.. Last game was awful, over 30 torps fired for zero hits and hard;y any reward for spotting the enemy boats for my team...

shot-19.08.16_09.35.41-0545.jpg

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,870 posts
13,997 battles

You can just pass your mouse over the torpedo tab

image.thumb.png.2dc61daaf6170aa45f7989ff55681113.png

1.5km

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,543 posts
18,077 battles

The IJN gets hosed on torp detection; it's the Russians revenge for Tsushima.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,622 posts
10,879 battles

Time to react for Hat's torpedoes

Base - 9.47 seconds

With TASM1 - 11.36 seconds

With Vig - 11.83 seconds

Both - 14.19 seconds

For Comparison - Gaede's corresponding numbers are 7.45, 8.94, 9.31, and 11.17 seconds. 

Fujin/Kami R with unnerfed IJN torps are 7.67, 9.2, 9.58 and 11.50 seconds.

Minekaze - 7.84, 9.41, 9.80, 11.76 seconds. Minekaze is the only IJN DD tier 5 or above, not called Kamikaze R, Kamikaze, or Fujin, that has the same torp speed range = spotting range that every other nation uses. 

So Gaede, which has better HP and guns and whatever else, will have it's torps spotted 2 seconds after a Hat's would have been. Even as you go up in tier and all other system closer match IJN in all categories the story is the same - every nations DD's, without getting into the insanity that is PA's, has around a 2 second advantage in not leaving time to react. Which is the difference at times between a ship having full rudder in to the turn or only partial.

A foolish byproduct of too many people sailing straight long enough to get nailed by torps by DD's that at the time were the only real stealth torpers, for a reason, when Radar and Hydro were still limited at best. With how much radar and gydro is out there now the fact that they have not put IJN DD's back to having the same speed/spotting range setup as every other nation is just stupid. Especially when the rest have actual guns meant to engage targets not just finish a wounded one off. 

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/88238-info-torpedo-spreadsheets-incl-reaction-time-and-chances-of-flooding/

Not updated for a year so no French DD's but the numbers, save maybe some WiP stuff at the time, are correct. 

• Cool 1

Members
539 posts
4,879 battles

There’s also context to consider. Just because you’re not spotted doesn’t mean the ships don’t know you’re there. They’re spotted and can’t see by whom = DD near. If they take into consideration of neighboring friendly ships they can deduce your general area or at least know where you’re not and begin evasive maneuvers. I dodge torps all the time this way. If they're close though I don’t have much time to react and can get got. But yeah, those are some slow torps too. Launch a set where you would normally and launch a second at which way you think they’d evade to. 

Edited by KnifeInUrNeck

[NSEW]
Members
1,572 posts
9,866 battles
13 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Just because you’re not spotted doesn’t mean the ships don’t know you’re there

Absolutely. RPF being one tool included into the game. 

I think the game has changed dramatically to cater to the crayon eaters. 

The fundamentals of the game have been washed over by the "handicap tools" of recent years.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,951 posts
20,872 battles

Torpedoes are "Feast or Famine" gameplay to begin with, often relying on the stupidity and laziness of the enemy.  Sometimes you get those in spades and you'll profit mightily.  Sometimes they're not, and you'll be begging to get ONE torpedo hit and are scrambling to get other means to get better rewards in the end.

[CSALT]
Members
1,383 posts
8 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I don't mind this boat but I find it often almost impossible to land a torp hit. Its like the enemy ships can detect the torps as soon as they are fired... A previos game I was chasing after a group of tier 8 BB's heading for our cap, fired 12 torps in 2 minutes at them at 7k range, not a single hit, all of them evaded the sluggish torps. Even a Tirpitz sideon at under 7k easily anticipated the torps and evaded them, I wasn't even detected. Jump into the Benson or Fletcher and no such problem, the torps are a little faster but most of the time they hit home.

I used to have a lot of fun in this boat but more and more games are just frustration, its sluggish guns don't hurt much either.. Last game was awful, over 30 torps fired for zero hits and hard;y any reward for spotting the enemy boats for my team...

shot-19.08.16_09.35.41-0545.jpg

You could also be inadvertently advertising when you launch your torpedoes if you normally use/stay in your gun sites and only switch to fire torpedoes.  Stay in your torpedo sights and you don't toggle their priority target numbers.