You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OttoVonPrien

Logic fail: selling off trees to increase play of lower tiers

52 comments in this topic

[KMS]
Beta Testers
179 posts
14,133 battles

I have over 270 ships, I rotate them and play them all.

Now I am told that to promote replaying them I will be able sell off a tree (for spl tokens) and start over.

what's stopping me playing them now, Nothing!!!, How does selling them get me to play them?!  You can't play what you don't have.!

What's going to happen is people are going to dump trees they don't like, (even ones with a ship or two they like) for the tokens

AND they are Never going to replay that tree, like the designers say they want.

Total Logic fail, Even with 17 trXs, I still have a few trees to finish, and you want me to start over , selling off trees to play ships I would no longer have.

Total logic fail or deliberate falsehood? take your pick

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3

[N-W-T]
Members
1,920 posts
7,575 battles

That's a tertiary goal.  It's patently obvious the objective is to get whales to spend a lot of money by converting FXP.  Given the current ships are good, but not OP, not even sure they'll get that many to do that. 

I don't, however, get the repetitive posts complaining about it after the buff system was removed. It's optional. If you want the ships, do it.  If not, don't. 

• Cool 10
  • Angry 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,264 posts
21,995 battles
1 minute ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

That's a tertiary goal.  It's patently obvious the objective is to get whales to spend a lot of money by converting FXP.  Given the current ships are good, but not OP, not even sure they'll get that many to do that. 

I don't, however, get the repetitive posts complaining about it after the buff system was removed. It's optional. If you want the ships, do it.  If not, don't. 

Ninja’d on the fxp; agree on the second part.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

It's just a prestige system. It's completely optional. You'll need 5 x T10's just to qualify.

But if you want the exclusive ships and/or whatever buffs that might be included, you'll consider it. :)

[RELAX]
Members
1,148 posts
8,654 battles

Think of it like this,

Regrind is a Whale Flasher .... see below for new models.

Dodger-Salmon-2.jpg

and they will need to include more OP things to keep 'em hooked.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 1

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

Nonconstructive derisive of WG attempt to foment discontent in the community for no other reason than spite!

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[RELAX]
Members
1,148 posts
8,654 battles
8 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Nonconstructive derisive of WG attempt to foment discontent in the community for no other reason than spite!

Care to explain how you see this like that so we all can understand?

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,355 posts
6,946 battles
50 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

By the same logic it was "optional" before. Yet instead of buffs now there are cool ships you can't get without using this stupid system and that still sucks.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,490 posts
12,942 battles
48 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I agree on the repetitive posts but most people don't look for previous posts on the same subject. However, it remains to be seen how overpowered the reward ships will be. They may become required for tier 10 ranked and CB.

I still think a daily mission system with several missions in each bracket, 1 - 4, 5 - 7, and 8 - 10 with an additional reward for completing all missions in each of the brackets would have a better and long term impact on top tier players dropping down.

• Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,500 posts
18,037 battles
41 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Sir, they just don't allow words that big in Tennessee! (Billy Bob, bring me them cuffs!)

• Funny 3

[WOLF7]
Members
123 posts
36 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

By the same logic it was "optional" before. Yet instead of buffs now there are cool ships you can't get without using this stupid system and that still sucks.

Or just wait for about Christmas 2020 loot boxes where you will have a chance to get one for just money and luck.

33 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I agree on the repetitive posts but most people don't look for previous posts on the same subject. However, it remains to be seen how overpowered the reward ships will be. They may become required for tier 10 ranked and CB.

I also believe that this is how good they will make those reward ships.

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
1,135 posts
8,195 battles
1 hour ago, OttoVonPrien said:

Now I am told that to promote replaying them I will be able sell off a tree (for spl tokens) and start over.

what's stopping me playing them now, Nothing!!!, How does selling them get me to play them?!  You can't play what you don't have.!

What's going to happen is people are going to dump trees they don't like, (even ones with a ship or two they like) for the tokens

Total Logic fail, Even with 17 trXs, I still have a few trees to finish, and you want me to start over , selling off trees to play ships I would no longer have.

You need to rebuy, and replay the ships to get tokens.... so your whole rant is based on a lack of understanding what you're upset about.

You may not like the proposed system, but other players do. 

Go back to one of the many threads about this topic, and you'll see plenty of reasons why people are looking forward to the Research Bureau. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,208 posts

The stated goal was "increase battles played in low and mid tiers".

The actual goal was obviously nothing of the sort, given that the system they introduced clearly doesn't encourage playing more than a small few battles in those tiers, and involves selling of any ships the player might have kept in those tiers and being unable to play them until they are re-ground. 

No, the actual goal was to encourage converting Elite Ship XP to "Free" XP, thus monetizing what WG clearly views as "lost income".   Adding up all the unconverted ship's XP I have, I'd need to spend most of an entire paycheck to convert it all to "Free" XP, and (no brag) that is a considerable amount of money. 

So if WG thinks they're ever going to see me taking part in NTC/RB, or that they're ever going to see money out of converting all that XP... they're delusional.

• Cool 3

[SOFOP]
Members
1,647 posts
11,120 battles

Anyone with 5 T10's is going to stay about what, 20 games between tier 1-6 at most?  Do the people who are starting the game really want these people down there?  These are the problems that arise when you have the most basic matchmaker known to gaming - you just can't account for this stuff.

Encouraging lower tier play, if it is a reason they have stated for this, was likely an idea that someone brought to the table after someone said "Ok, here is what we are going to do and why....we can't tell the players those reasons for obvious reasons (room giggles), so we need to PR some good ones.  Anyone?"

The janitor then poked his head in and said "They will have to play lower tiers again!"

"Great idea, Jon the former sub driver!!"

Intern:  "I got another idea now!!!"

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
2,339 posts
7,178 battles
2 hours ago, OttoVonPrien said:

You get the tokens for the first win with each ship from T6+, so dumping lines you don't like won't get you anywhere unless you get them back. It's why I plan to redo US CVs. I love them all! ...Save for the Midway, as those torps are horrible.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,339 posts
7,178 battles
20 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

if WG thinks they're ever going to see me taking part in NTC/RB, or that they're ever going to see money out of converting all that XP... they're delusional.

That's something you can only guarantee from you. There were people that bought Benham purely by crates. That's spending about 200$ on a single T9 premium. Heck, I converted Fxp on sale from doubloons I got for super cheap to get Mo before she was gone. All in all, I probably only really spent 50$ or so on her. If I paid full price, that would have been in the range of 140$, though! Now imagine what those same people with the thought of an almost completely exclusive T10 BB or CL on the line will do. A T10 Atlanta? A T10 Massachusetts? Ohh, there will be people that convert the whole thing, mark my words. They will be few, but they will exist.

The sad thing is that if they just sold them for 100$ each with the option to earn them like that as well, the playerbase would throw a fit all over again. But making them behind a wall like that makes the price so high that people will assume nobody is that dumb. Ohh, if only they didn't underestimate the capacity for people to be dumb...

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,208 posts
11 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That's something you can only guarantee from you. There were people that bought Benham purely by crates. That's spending about 200$ on a single T9 premium. Heck, I converted Fxp on sale from doubloons I got for super cheap to get Mo before she was gone. All in all, I probably only really spent 50$ or so on her. If I paid full price, that would have been in the range of 140$, though! Now imagine what those same people with the thought of an almost completely exclusive T10 BB or CL on the line will do. A T10 Atlanta? A T10 Massachusetts? Ohh, there will be people that convert the whole thing, mark my words. They will be few, but they will exist.

The sad thing is that if they just sold them for 100$ each with the option to earn them like that as well, the playerbase would throw a fit all over again. But making them behind a wall like that makes the price so high that people will assume nobody is that dumb. Ohh, if only they didn't underestimate the capacity for people to be dumb...

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did mean only me. 

Personally, I always assume that at least one person has actually bought everything they've ever offered at least once, including that massive fleet package. 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,339 posts
7,178 battles
23 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did mean only me. 

Personally, I always assume that at least one person has actually bought everything they've ever offered at least once, including that massive fleet package. 

Alright, just making sure. All good.

Members
1,093 posts
1,286 battles
3 hours ago, OttoVonPrien said:

You don't get tokens when you dump the tree. You get the tokens after you dump the tree and replay it. So if they want the tokens, they are going to have to replay them, or spend FXP.

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
6 hours ago, OttoVonPrien said:

Damn dude, I thought you were talking about actual trees, which I would have been annoyed about.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DYNO]
Members
301 posts
10,542 battles

The system is not much different than ranked/clan battles having steel as a reward that also is used for special ships. You don’t have to do it. Now when they re license  Arpeggio ships and only make them available with the new currency and they start offering cosmetics it is a much harder choice.

Members
73 posts
4,773 battles
6 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

It's just a prestige system. It's completely optional. You'll need 5 x T10's just to qualify.

But if you want the exclusive ships and/or whatever buffs that might be included, you'll consider it. :)

6 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I am never even considering it. This game is grindy enough as it is, redoing massive grinds in order to even be able to get new ships is idiotic.

It's also not optional. If you want the new ships, you have to do it. That is not what optional means. If it was truly optional to reset your trees, there would be no exclusive content locked behind them. It's obvious they want you to do it to spend money on premium account time and free xp conversion.

It's like saying loot boxes are optional. They are not when there is no way to play a version of the game that does not include them.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Members
73 posts
4,773 battles
4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The stated goal was "increase battles played in low and mid tiers".

The actual goal was obviously nothing of the sort, given that the system they introduced clearly doesn't encourage playing more than a small few battles in those tiers, and involves selling of any ships the player might have kept in those tiers and being unable to play them until they are re-ground. 

No, the actual goal was to encourage converting Elite Ship XP to "Free" XP, thus monetizing what WG clearly views as "lost income".   Adding up all the unconverted ship's XP I have, I'd need to spend most of an entire paycheck to convert it all to "Free" XP, and (no brag) that is a considerable amount of money. 

So if WG thinks they're ever going to see me taking part in NTC/RB, or that they're ever going to see money out of converting all that XP... they're delusional.

Getting people to actually play lower tiers would involve stuff like adding new maps instead of removing them, adding more lower tier ships and maybe improve some of the worse existing ones to make the game more fun to play.

But that requires a lot more resource investment for a smaller monetary payoff on their end.

Members
803 posts
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I still think a daily mission system with several missions in each bracket, 1 - 4, 5 - 7, and 8 - 10 with an additional reward for completing all missions in each of the brackets would have a better and long term impact on top tier players dropping down.

Campaigns would be the best bet for playing tiered ships in a very long sequence of missions.

• Cool 2