You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hurlbut

California HYPE

321 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
8,309 battles

So I called up the Captain,
'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty-nine'

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[WOLF3]
Members
23,000 posts
20,882 battles

Oh, a Tennessee-class BB.  USS California was built in my home town, Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, CA.

Well, I'm pretty much sold.

Tennessee-class was in between New Mexico and the 16" armed Colorado-class.  Quick look at Wikipedia shows CA has very New Mexico-like protection.  Same 21kt speed as typical for Standard USN BBs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,170 posts
9,190 battles

I'm happy to see this ship at tier VII.  It gives me hope that WeeVee 1944 / 1945 will end up at tier VIII.

• Cool 21
  • Boring 3
  • Angry 2

Members
5,850 posts
6,749 battles

If California is going to be T7 with those twin 5"/38s as secondaries, does this mean that Colorado can finally get her final refit(or more accurately, Maryland's 1944 refit) which had those guns too? (Also, post Pearl WV is now a real possibility, because with California WG is going back on their original stance that "the twin 5"/38s as secondaries were too powerful for anything below T8")

[WOLFG]
Members
7,493 posts
5,450 battles
1 minute ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

If it is a Tennessee class Why not just make it USS TENNESSEE ? 

BB line split?

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,000 posts
20,882 battles

USS California was one of the US BBs that suffered great damage during the Pearl Harbor strike.  From Wikipedia:

1920px-Naval_photograph_documenting_the_Japanese_attack_on_Pearl_Harbor%2C_Hawaii_which_initiated_US_participation_in_World..._-_NARA_-_295983.jpg

You can see the paint scheme similar to what WoWS Arizona is using.

But here's California after she got raised, repaired, etc.  This is from 1944.

Image result for battleship california 1944

image.png.894f1924b1ee8f58f2a361a65fbb90e1.png

The paint scheme is mostly right in the WoWS version, as appropriate to her refitted, repaired state.  The turrets' color scheme is off, but that's a compromise WG has to make because gun turrets are often sharing common models / textures.  Appearance-wise, I'm very satisfied because it's close to historical.  It even has the 127mm DP turrets, something the game's Colorado doesn't have.  Something West Virginia '44 would have.

• Cool 5

[NFE]
Members
21 posts
320 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Oh, a Tennessee-class BB.  USS California was built in my home town, Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, CA.

I live near Vallejo, birthplace of Bill Buckner. I think there's a museum and Mare Island I've been meaning to visit. Have you been? Is it worthwhile?

[WOLF3]
Members
23,000 posts
20,882 battles

King George V shows that 356mm guns can work in Tier VII still.  But offensively, she's purely based around her 356mm x10 arsenal as her Secondaries are not worth talking about.  Even her AA is bad.  So, KGV has good values for 356mm to work here.

Califonia has a more modern setup than Colorado.  Will she have good secondaries / AA to compliment her 356mm x12?  My guess is she will, but I figure California's sigma is going to get a kick in the teeth to compensate for having a more modern AA / Secondary Suite than Colorado.

We'll see how it goes.

2 minutes ago, OhJim said:

I live near Vallejo, birthplace of Bill Buckner. I think there's a museum and Mare Island I've been meaning to visit. Have you been? Is it worthwhile?

It's been decades since I was roaming Mare Island itself.  The last time I spent a lot of time at that place was when it was still a Navy base in the 90s.  I know the city has moved in since the closure to make use of certain areas like old Base Housing, but in general, I'm not sure of its current state.  I'm not living in Vallejo anymore, but I still visit often because my family is still there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[GREIF]
Members
245 posts
3,872 battles

Any chance this will be a viable candidate as a TVII "brawler" with good secondary build potential -- ala Mass or Georgia?  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[KWF]
Members
3,745 posts
5,417 battles

Not a fan of 21knot superdreads but hey, not any hurt in having these ships ingame.

Dunno if there was a stats card along with the announcement, but who knows, maybe access to the tier VIII+ Upgrade slot could help?

[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
28 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

Welcome to the hotel California.

"They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast." :Smile_izmena:

With so many battleships going into the premium category, I think WG's trying to tell us we're not getting a US BB line split.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,000 posts
20,882 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

"They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast." :Smile_izmena:

With so many battleships going into the premium category, I think WG's trying to tell us we're not getting a US BB line split.

I never thought a US BB Split would ever happen.  There's tons of real examples for the mid tiers, but past that, there's nothing.  The US Navy went in a linear run from Colorado -> North Carolina -> South Dakota -> Iowa -> and almost Montana-class.  There's nothing to go for Tier VIII-X for actual ships in a split.

Members
3,987 posts
4,290 battles

Neat. Will buy. 

7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I never thought a US BB Split would ever happen.  There's tons of real examples for the mid tiers, but past that, there's nothing.  The US Navy went in a linear run from Colorado -> North Carolina -> South Dakota -> Iowa -> and almost Montana-class.  There's nothing to go for Tier VIII-X for actual ships in a split.

I guess the most controversial thing that could be done is to make the split line clones after that. But line 2 share the secondary focus of the recent premium ships. 

Line 1:

Colorado -> North Carolina -> Iowa ->  Montana-class

Line 2:

Maryland -> Washington -> South Dakota -> Wisconson -> Louisiana

Edited by Yoshiblue
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 2

[CAST]
Members
4,808 posts
3,359 battles

So it's a 12 gun 356mm ship with a 30 second reload ... at tier 7?

Uhm ... why? Does it come with a super heal or something? I mean, if you want a 12 gun setup for 14 inchers at tier 7, then her reload needs to be noticeably buffed. Only reason KGV thrives at that tier is because she has a 25s reload and ridiculously strong HE.

[NUWES]
Members
2,714 posts
8,685 battles
4 minutes ago, warlock_xxxx said:

Any chance this will be a viable candidate as a TVII "brawler" with good secondary build potential -- ala Mass or Georgia?  

I would not be at all shocked if that was the case. Otherwise gun-wise and hull-wise California is same as New Mexico. There would be no  point to putting in California if they weren't going to give her improved secondaries and/or AA. The rebuild which improved the secondaries and the AA was the most significant difference. They got some other improvements like better underwater protection but that is too minor for an uptier game-wise. I also suspect California's dispersion will be a bit better than New Mexico's. 

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
3,054 posts
2,506 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

USS California was one of the US BBs that suffered great damage during the Pearl Harbor strike.  From Wikipedia:

But here's California after she got raised, repaired, etc.  This is from 1944.

The paint scheme is mostly right in the WoWS version, as appropriate to her refitted, repaired state.  The turrets' color scheme is off, but that's a compromise WG has to make because gun turrets are often sharing common models / textures.  Appearance-wise, I'm very satisfied because it's close to historical.  It even has the 127mm DP turrets, something the game's Colorado doesn't have.  Something West Virginia '44 would have.

the last two picture concern me. Look at the water being pumped out. You see those two ports? Now look at the WoWS model. Notice it imply she's sitting lower in the water compared to the picture? Yeah after comparing the picture and the image, I think they placed those two ports too low by mistake.

Edited by Hurlbut

[WOLF3]
Members
23,000 posts
20,882 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

So it's a 12 gun 356mm ship with a 30 second reload ... at tier 7?

Uhm ... why? Does it come with a super heal or something? I mean, if you want a 12 gun setup for 14 inchers at tier 7, then her reload needs to be noticeably buffed. Only reason KGV thrives at that tier is because she has a 25s reload and ridiculously strong HE.

Where are you getting the stats?  I don't see anything in the DevBlog nor the forum's Developer's Corner.

[REVY]
Members
1,773 posts
10,704 battles
27 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

If it is a Tennessee class Why not just make it USS TENNESSEE ? 

15 minutes ago, warlock_xxxx said:

Perhaps California is the 'Alabama' flavor.....and Tennessee comes later as the 'Massachusetts' flavor with insane secondaries? 

• Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
1,350 posts
1,821 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm happy to see this ship at tier VII.  It gives me hope that WeeVee 1944 / 1945 will end up at tier VIII.

If they ever get around to creating her, that is. =\  Still, I am happy for the moment about California's incoming arrival.  Will have to see the initial ST stats before making a more solid eval of her.

Members
3,987 posts
4,290 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Perhaps California is the 'Alabama' flavor.....and Tennessee comes later as the 'Massachusetts' flavor with insane secondaries? 

So amazing torpedo protection and near best turning in the game?