Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'leyh: Critique on the French Destroyers Event (0.8.6).

50 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles

Now that the whole thing is over for me (the rest of you still have until you finish playing on Sunday night, August 18), the Siroco is in my port and I can stand over the smouldering corpse of this event and call it beaten, I feel it appropriate to deliver my criticisms of an event which could have been one of the greatest in Wargaming history but turned out to be the most unusually frustrating one I've ever completed in the almost two years I've been playing World of Warships. 

There were high points, but overall I have to be brutal and give this event two stars. Fail. Let’s have a look at things, directive by directive. For reference, the tasks and comments on my progress (and others') through them AS I WAS DOING THEM, are summarized here:

 

By contrast, everything that follows is written with the benefit of hindsight.

 

DIRECTIVE 1: On the whole, I thought this was fair. Anyone who’d been caught short by the unexpected requirement for a T7 ship for some tasks in the Prinz Eitel Friedrich directives should have made it a priority to rectify that deficiency and would have been ready for this event.  However, there were enough T5-compatible missions to be able to get through this one without too much trouble, and anyone with at least one T7 could bypass the big grinds for ship and captain XP and leave them to complete on their own.

The absence of the Le Terrible and Aigle as potential completion ships for French DD missions was a surprise. One star off for that, and another star off for the fact that having a Vauquelin or Le Fantasque at this stage was almost impossible unless you’d spammed crates from the start. More on the Mogador at the end.

 

DIRECTIVE 2: Directive 2 loses points for having at least one mission (five achievements) that was absolutely barred to the PVE-only crowd. By now, people with all four ship types at T5 (T6 for CV) or better had theoretically had access to at least seven container drops, and RNG permitting, were in more of a position to do the bypass missions for the new ships. As a mediocre player, but with a fairly broad range of T7 ships available, I had this directive fulfilled in two days and spent most of the rest of the week mopping up the carrier XP task at leisure.

 

DIRECTIVE 3: You get one star for this, WG, and that’s for making this the penultimate directive so that people who needed an extended time period to complete it had a buffer zone at the end.  I don’t mind having cash-grind missions, and I’ve always sung the praises of a diversified port, but what this did was to provide an absolute barrier to new players who’d reached T5 or higher but hadn’t had time to do that across all of the tech-tree nations. The same criticism was, I believe, levelled at the Christmas campaign for the Prinz Eitel Freidrich - by others, if not by me.  

When I was a newbie I failed to complete North Cape using only the Leander, but a good enough player MIGHT have done so.  Not the case here. Unless you had the appropriate premiums, or T5+ ships in all the tech-tree nations, it was impossible to complete. Not good.

In my mind, it was also of disproportionate SIZE. Six lots of four million silver could be argued to be acceptable for a T6 battleship (Prinz Eitel Friedrich), but only because being able to complete that grind in a timely fashion gave access to steel (though we’ll leave aside whether that should have been attached). That was bad enough, and I was fortunate to win the PEF in a stream and shorten that grind immensely.

 Six lots of THREE million XP across six nations not only shut out new players, but was totally disproportionate for a Tier 5 destroyer. I did it in a timely fashion, but I am running Warships premium time and I had plenty of cash flags, high-tier coal and FXP ships (one of which is now withdrawn from sale - Musashi) and camos that I could burn if I had to. It still took me at least two all-nighters. I cannot imagine what it would be like for a non-paying player with only Tier 5 ships.

We didn’t have to jump through this sort of hoop to win enough Sovereigns for Gallant (T6 DD) or Warspite (T6 BB) in the Royal Navy destroyer arc, and we should not have been asked to do it here. Please, Wargaming, for the love of God and all that is holy and for the sake of all the fluffy little kittens, do not ask us to do this again. If you do, I recommend you tease it out into separate cash missions a la Rogue Wave, issue event currency for it (see below), and allow us to do it in any Tier 5-plus ship.

 

DIRECTIVE 4: This is the redemption at the end of the arc; the short, easy directive that will get you home on the weekend if you needed most of the rest of the week just to finish the cash grinds. The missions are easy enough, I managed to complete them all in three days' play, and I know some people who had a lot of time on their hands did it in one or two. Thank God for that, because without it I think there would be a lot more people who won't finish at all.

I think it’s a valid point of contention that bot carriers seemed to become very rare as soon as aircraft kills were required, although this might also be a function of people feeling obliged to take a T8 carrier in order to tackle the Tier 7-plus missions simultaneously and deciding it wasn’t worth it in PvE. T8 carrier costs are brutal in Co-op, where the CV’s don’t get much of a chance to shine. This task could have been Tier 5-plus, with the module mission being T7.

 

TOKENS: I’m not going to beat around the bush; Wargaming, this is where you screwed up big-time. I think the idea to repeat the Snowflake thing was good, but it should have given no more than a leg-up for long-term players to access all the Token content more easily. I think it was improper for WG to lock so many tokens away behind ships whose acquisition was a matter either of random chance or disproprortionate spending (for what will otherwise be free ships).

WHAT I THINK SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED: In my opinion, enough tokens to unlock EITHER all of the Legion bundles OR all of the permacamos could have been placed in the Daily missions, in crates, and as directive-completion rewards, or perhaps as separate cash grinds in French ships (also see my criticism of DIRECTIVE THREE). This would echo what had been done with the Lazo and the commander in the Russian arc, and with the Benham in the Rogue Wave event.

I don’t object to players with full ports at all tiers being given a big head start here, and I know that’s what this event was trying to reward, but in my opinion ANY player who could either grind hard enough OR fight well enough should have had guaranteed access to either the Mogador “lottery” or the permacamos IF THEY SO CHOSE. On a purely mercenary note, placing enough tokens behind gameplay to get to the Mogador “lottery” might have brought more money in for Wargaming. This is the first event I’ve taken part in where the full extent of the event-related Armory content was completely out of reach to a talented new player, and even to some longer-term ones, and after the Russian events I find that quite a surprise.

The two notes of redemption are that the T5 and T6 special permacamos turned out to be unexpectedly inexpensive (each ship produces enough tokens in its mission to claim the relevant one for itself) aand  token-acquisition missions are described in game as extending a week beyond the last directive-based opportunity to get crates (although there may be some people who get their final dailies crates after the token mission expiry; I feel sorry for them).

I personally think these missions should be extended until the final date for spending the tokens, so that anyone who gets their final daily mission on 31 August and gets unlocks in the crates can still obtain and redeem the tokens while they are actually valid.

In conclusion I think the concept was great but the execution was terrible. It’s caused a lot of ill will among the playerbase, and although I find some of that ill will quite disproportionate, I am of necessity sympathetic to the general mood.  It’s also the second event in a row in which a mid-level reward (a Tier 5 premium destroyer) has required a disproportionate effort, and this time there was no over-arching major prize (steel for PEF, T9 Benham for Rogue Wave) to justify this uphill slog.

There is too much going on, too often; at some stage, we need a break to just sink things for minor rewards for a few weeks. I am undecided as to whether the new French commander is worth grinding for after this, but at least the PTS version of the directives does not hint at an insuperable cash grind. I await with interest to see what the magnitude of the live-server directives for phase 2 is like.

 

ADDITION, 21 August 2019: Credit to Wargaming where credit is due. The premium event crates for the second phase of the French arc have tokens in them (120 each). It is thus possible to earn as many as you can for free in battle and then, for a known and calculable financial outlay, obtain the ones you need to get the captain. It still requires being willing and able to spend money, but at least if you wait until the last possible minute you will be able to calculate EXACTLY how much you need to spend to make up the difference and decide for yourself if it's worth it to you.

 

Tagging @Kami for official attention.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
Reworded an unclear sentence.
  • Cool 15
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
918
[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,457 posts
10,848 battles

Overall, an excellent analysis I find myself largely in agreement with.  I want to highlight something.

3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There is too much going on, too often; at some stage, we need a break to just sink things for minor rewards for a few weeks.

This is a sentiment I have heard repeatedly and often from a lot of players over the past 2-3 weeks.  Between the event, ranked, and clan battles all being piled on top of one another, it feels pretty overwhelming to many.

If you feel this way, please be sure and say so.  Give Wargaming this feedback, whether it's here or Twitter or Facebook or wherever.  The more people they hear this from, the less likely we are to find ourselves with this much stuff dropped on us in a short span again. 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,886
[-K-]
Members
7,519 posts
12,226 battles

Crap, did this event just end?  I had about a day of playing left to finish off the Siroco quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
2 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Between the event, ranked, and clan battles all being piled on top of one another, it feels pretty overwhelming to many.

Yes. There's so much to do, and if I had eighteen hours of my day to sit and do it in, I'd be happy as a pig in mud. Trouble is, that's not most of us.

People ask if the Developers even play the game, and I would answer this: YES, they do, and that's just the problem - the event testers on the internal ST servers possibly have nothing to do BUT play the game, which is highly likely to skew their perception of how easy it is for the playerbase to complete. 

The test should IMHO be how easy it is to complete the event with nothing but T5 ships (T6 for carriers) and four hours a day at most (maybe eight on the weekend, to be generous).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,343
[WOLFG]
Members
7,493 posts
5,450 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Crap, did this event just end?  I had about a day of playing left to finish off the Siroco quest.

I think it ends Sunday (early Monday morning).

The ensign just finished up directive 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Crap, did this event just end?  I had about a day of playing left to finish off the Siroco quest.

I finished the requirements last night, which is why I'm posting this now, but you still have until end of play Sunday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,886
[-K-]
Members
7,519 posts
12,226 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I finished the requirements last night, which is why I'm posting this now, but you still have until end of play Sunday night.

Whew.  You scared me there for a second.  I still want the doubloons for Siroco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,280
[R-F]
Members
1,673 posts
9,821 battles
10 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Overall, an excellent analysis I find myself largely in agreement with.  I want to highlight something.

This is a sentiment I have heard repeatedly and often from a lot of players over the past 2-3 weeks.  Between the event, ranked, and clan battles all being piled on top of one another, it feels pretty overwhelming to many.

If you feel this way, please be sure and say so.  Give Wargaming this feedback, whether it's here or Twitter or Facebook or wherever.  The more people they hear this from, the less likely we are to find ourselves with this much stuff dropped on us in a short span again. 

For sure.  The credit grind directive was particularly brutal to me because I wanted to to ranked and clan battles - normally when either of those events are active I don't play a lot of randoms, never mind when they're BOTH active at once.  But I don't have 6 different nation's ships that I am comfortable enough in to bring to ranked and clan battles.  I got 3 done that way, and then I had to slog through the other three in randoms instead of doing the game modes I wanted to do.  It wasn't fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Whew.  You scared me there for a second.  I still want the doubloons for Siroco.

No problems. You twigged me to the fact that my first sentence was ambiguous to the point of panic-inducing, so I've gone back and changed it. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,874 posts
16,418 battles

I would agree with the analysis, but one added criticism I have for the event is that as a longggggg time player, many of the loot box options and the packages (bought with tokens or the 30 1,000 doubloons random ones) had as a major component credits.  For me, I am sitting on over 300 million, and so any package/loot box that contains credits is not one that I value as greatly as one that supplies resources (coal, free exp, steel), no need for me to pull out my wallet or spend doubloons for an item that is one of the easiest things to get in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,994 posts
7,021 battles

I consider myself fortunate to have lucked into a chance at the Guepard and then working that opportunity into actually acquiring Guepard in my port.

Other than that, knocking the "French-flakes" off of my roster of ships in port didn't yield enough temporary french event currency to accomplish much else.

The events have, for me, become underwhelming.

Like many people, I don't have a lot of spare cash for premium account time and to purchase doubloons.
I try to make the most of what I've got and be patient until future opportunities happen.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,214
[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I consider myself fortunate to have lucked into a chance at the Guepard and then working that opportunity into actually acquiring Guepard in my port.

Other than that, knocking the "French-flakes" off of my roster of ships in port didn't yield enough temporary french event currency to accomplish much else.

The events have, for me, become underwhelming.

Like many people, I don't have a lot of spare cash for premium account time and to purchase doubloons.
I try to make the most of what I've got and be patient until future opportunities happen.

For whatever reason, WG targeted these recent events at long time players.

If you didn't have over 100 ships, you really didn't have much chance, and without 6 lines and premium ships in all of them, the directives are pretty painful as well.

I don't get the business plan, but clearly someone at WG thought it was a good idea....:Smile_amazed:

Edited by awiggin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,129
[KWF]
Members
3,745 posts
5,417 battles

Haven't started the final Directive yet, but Siroco looks totally not worth it, especially if you take into account Directive #3. 

I guess her fate is to join P.E.F and Indianapolis as another representative of "reward mehbote".

What irks me even more is that afaik the ship is basically the tier IV with the Reload Booster to justify the tier. At least P.E.F wasn't a copy of an already modelled ship. 

In her state I would rather recommend to a newcomer to just get the coal for Aigle and avoid this grind entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[WHARF]
Members
187 posts
15,078 battles
47 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Crap, did this event just end?  I had about a day of playing left to finish off the Siroco quest.

No...ends on sunday....you got time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099
[KSE]
Members
3,942 posts
18,378 battles

Ack after the Benham grind I tried

not wholeheartedly and sadly I won't make it by Sunday 

  Clan battles, Ranked battles, grind right behind a grind burnout is real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
1 hour ago, Panzer1113 said:

I would agree with the analysis, but one added criticism I have for the event is that as a longggggg time player, many of the loot box options and the packages (bought with tokens or the 30 1,000 doubloons random ones) had as a major component credits.  For me, I am sitting on over 300 million, and so any package/loot box that contains credits is not one that I value

I didn't touch on the package contents for the very good reason that I don't have enough tokens to unlock the lootbox progression in the first place! Even if I had, the permacamos were worth more to me.

Whether these things (or indeed the premium crates) are worth it to you or anyone else is such an individual thing that I felt it was best left alone, save to say that anyone who got the Mogador on four tries or less broke even or better (because that's what it would cost to get a T9 permacamo for her anyway). The special-event permacamo is technically valued at 5K doubloons, so you could stretch that to five tries if you were feeling generous (though it does no more than the standard one), and anyone who got it in six might look at all the time, credits and XP they won't have to spend getting there and possibly walk away happy... but that's about it.

Certainly, seven or more and IMHO you were better off simply grinding for her when she came out, unless you REALLY felt that each and every box was worth the 1K doubloons it cost you to work through it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,280
[SALVO]
Members
23,458 posts
24,073 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now that the whole thing is over for me (the rest of you still have until you finish playing on Sunday night, August 18), the Siroco is in my port and I can stand over the smouldering corpse of this event and call it beaten, I feel it appropriate to deliver my criticisms of an event which could have been one of the greatest in Wargaming history but turned out to be the most unusually frustrating one I've ever completed in the almost two years I've been playing World of Warships. 

There were high points, but overall I have to be brutal and give this event two stars. Fail. Let’s have a look at things, directive by directive. For reference, the tasks and comments on my progress (and others') through them AS I WAS DOING THEM, are summarized here:

By contrast, everything that follows is written with the benefit of hindsight.

 

DIRECTIVE 1: On the whole, I thought this was fair. Anyone who’d been caught short by the unexpected requirement for a T7 ship for some tasks in the Prinz Eitel Friedrich directives should have made it a priority to rectify that deficiency and would have been ready for this event.  However, there were enough T5-compatible missions to be able to get through this one without too much trouble, and anyone with at least one T7 could bypass the big grinds for ship and captain XP and leave them to complete on their own.

The absence of the Le Terrible and Aigle as potential completion ships for French DD missions was a surprise. One star off for that, and another star off for the fact that having a Vauquelin or Le Fantasque at this stage was almost impossible unless you’d spammed crates from the start. More on the Mogador at the end.

 

DIRECTIVE 2: Directive 2 loses points for having at least one mission (five achievements) that was absolutely barred to the PVE-only crowd. By now, people with all four ship types at T5 (T6 for CV) or better had theoretically had access to at least seven container drops, and RNG permitting, were in more of a position to do the bypass missions for the new ships. As a mediocre player, but with a fairly broad range of T7 ships available, I had this directive fulfilled in two days and spent most of the rest of the week mopping up the carrier XP task at leisure.

 

DIRECTIVE 3: You get one star for this, WG, and that’s for making this the penultimate directive so that people who needed an extended time period to complete it had a buffer zone at the end.  I don’t mind having cash-grind missions, and I’ve always sung the praises of a diversified port, but what this did was to provide an absolute barrier to new players who’d reached T5 or higher but hadn’t had time to do that across all of the tech-tree nations. The same criticism was, I believe, levelled at the Christmas campaign for the Prinz Eitel Freidrich - by others, if not by me.  

When I was a newbie I failed to complete North Cape using only the Leander, but a good enough player MIGHT have done so.  Not the case here. Unless you had the appropriate premiums, or T5+ ships in all the tech-tree nations, it was impossible to complete. Not good.

In my mind, it was also of disproportionate SIZE. Six lots of four million silver could be argued to be acceptable for a T6 battleship (Prinz Eitel Friedrich), but only because being able to complete that grind in a timely fashion gave access to steel (though we’ll leave aside whether that should have been attached). That was bad enough, and I was fortunate to win the PEF in a stream and shorten that grind immensely.

 Six lots of THREE million XP across six nations not only shut out new players, but was totally disproportionate for a Tier 5 destroyer. I did it in a timely fashion, but I am running Warships premium time and I had plenty of cash flags, high-tier coal and FXP ships (one of which is now withdrawn from sale - Musashi) and camos that I could burn if I had to. It still took me at least two all-nighters. I cannot imagine what it would be like for a non-paying player with only Tier 5 ships.

We didn’t have to jump through this sort of hoop to win enough Sovereigns for Gallant (T6 DD) or Warspite (T6 BB) in the Royal Navy destroyer arc, and we should not have been asked to do it here. Please, Wargaming, for the love of God and all that is holy and for the sake of all the fluffy little kittens, do not ask us to do this again. If you do, I recommend you tease it out into separate cash missions a la Rogue Wave, issue event currency for it (see below), and allow us to do it in any Tier 5-plus ship.

 

DIRECTIVE 4: This is the redemption at the end of the arc; the short, easy directive that will get you home on the weekend if you needed most of the rest of the week just to finish the cash grinds. The missions are easy enough, I managed to complete them all in three days' play, and I know some people who had a lot of time on their hands did it in one or two. Thank God for that, because without it I think there would be a lot more people who won't finish at all.

I think it’s a valid point of contention that bot carriers seemed to become very rare as soon as aircraft kills were required, although this might also be a function of people feeling obliged to take a T8 carrier in order to tackle the Tier 7-plus missions simultaneously and deciding it wasn’t worth it in PvE. T8 carrier costs are brutal in Co-op, where the CV’s don’t get much of a chance to shine. This task could have been Tier 5-plus, with the module mission being T7.

 

TOKENS: I’m not going to beat around the bush; Wargaming, this is where you screwed up big-time. I think the idea to repeat the Snowflake thing was good, but it should have given no more than a leg-up for long-term players to access all the Token content more easily. I think it was improper for WG to lock so many tokens away behind ships whose acquisition was a matter either of random chance or disproprortionate spending (for what will otherwise be free ships).

WHAT I THINK SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED: In my opinion, enough tokens to unlock EITHER all of the Legion bundles OR all of the permacamos could have been placed in the Daily missions, in crates, and as directive-completion rewards, or perhaps as separate cash grinds in French ships (also see my criticism of DIRECTIVE THREE). This would echo what had been done with the Lazo and the commander in the Russian arc, and with the Benham in the Rogue Wave event.

I don’t object to players with full ports at all tiers being given a big head start here, and I know that’s what this event was trying to reward, but in my opinion ANY player who could either grind hard enough OR fight well enough should have had guaranteed access to either the Mogador “lottery” or the permacamos IF THEY SO CHOSE. On a purely mercenary note, placing enough tokens behind gameplay to get to the Mogador “lottery” might have brought more money in for Wargaming. This is the first event I’ve taken part in where the full extent of the event-related Armory content was completely out of reach to a talented new player, and even to some longer-term ones, and after the Russian events I find that quite a surprise.

The two notes of redemption are that the T5 and T6 special permacamos turned out to be unexpectedly inexpensive (each ship produces enough tokens in its mission to claim the relevant one for itself) aand  token-acquisition missions are described in game as extending a week beyond the last directive-based opportunity to get crates (although there may be some people who get their final dailies crates after the token mission expiry; I feel sorry for them).

I personally think these missions should be extended until the final date for spending the tokens, so that anyone who gets their final daily mission on 31 August and gets unlocks in the crates can still obtain and redeem the tokens while they are actually valid.

In conclusion I think the concept was great but the execution was terrible. It’s caused a lot of ill will among the playerbase, and although I find some of that ill will quite disproportionate, I am of necessity sympathetic to the general mood.  It’s also the second event in a row in which a mid-level reward (a Tier 5 premium destroyer) has required a disproportionate effort, and this time there was no over-arching major prize (steel for PEF, T9 Benham for Rogue Wave) to justify this uphill slog.

There is too much going on, too often; at some stage, we need a break to just sink things for minor rewards for a few weeks. I am undecided as to whether the new French commander is worth grinding for after this, but at least the PTS version of the directives does not hint at an insuperable cash grind. I await with interest to see what the magnitude of the live-server directives for phase 2 is like.

 

 

Tagging @Kami for official attention.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you've said, but regardless, it was a very well written and formatted post, Cthulhu.  So...  :cap_like:

 

I was and am annoyed that we couldn't use the already existing French DDs, Aigle and Le Terrible, on the French DD tasks, particularly the Le Terrible since it was one premium that you had to pay real money to acquire.  And honestly, I'm also a bit annoyed that we couldn't do the French DD tasks with either the Jaguar or Guepard, which are 2 of the 5 new available French DDs.  It seems pretty obvious that WG must have wanted players to spend real money on the premium containers to get the tier 7+ French DDs, but it's still annoying nevertheless.

 

As for the Directive 2 task that couldn't be done in Coop, it was a task that required earning Achievements, which currently are only achievable in random or ranked.  I do wish that they'd create some coop achievements that could qualify for such a mission task in the future.  But given that there were plenty of possible tasks in Directive 2, it was not necessary for leave Coop to get this particular task, so it doesn't seem like that huge a deal to me.

As for Directive 3's credit tasks, they weren't a big deal to me.  But then again, I completed more than half of them in Clan Battles, where with the Zulu and Wyvern signals mounted, I was earning about 1.3M credits in a win and 660k or so credits in a loss, so blowing through those tasks was super easy.  And yes, I have a very deep port with a lot of premium ships and a premium account.  Regardless, for people who have made the choice to not play clan battles and/or only play coop, YOU made the choice to make your life more difficult when it comes to these events.  You KNOW that earning credits or base XP or whatever will always be more difficult in coop than in other game modes, such as randoms, clan battles, ranked, or operations.  And you do have the option to play game modes where credits and base XP are easier to earn for the however long you need to get those things and then return to your beloved coop.  So, if you choose to not avail yourself of that option, it's on you and no one else.

As for Directive 4, these base XP grinding tasks are doable, but a pain.  They are obviously a pain for those in coop due to the low BXP that one always earns in that mode.  They're a bit of a pain for me because I really, REALLY like getting the regular daily missions done, along with the directive tasks.  And I don't like getting on a losing streak and failing to make progress on the dailies, so I tend to play a fair amount of coop to make certain I complete the dailies.  Yes, that's my choice.  I just wish that the daily missions weren't constructed in a way that required winning for your base XP earnings to count, because otherwise losing is a damned waste of 15-20 minutes.

Also in Directive 4, the plane shooting down task is a pain, because for non-CV players (which isn't me, but regardless) you're entirely dependent on someone else bringing CVs to the battle and then that the enemy CV player will bring his planes anywhere near you.  I know that some will say, div up with a CV player, but not everyone likes to play in divisions.  Some people are hardcore solo players.  And still, even if you do div up with a carrier player, you're still dependent on the enemy CV player to bring his planes near you so that you can get the plane kills.  So, in the end, about the only active option you might have with this task is to bring a CV yourself and then actively seek to use your fighters to engage enemy planes, and possibly even get rather aggressive with your own CV's placement to use it sort of like an AA ship (but of course, this is highly risky and map dependent).

And also in Directive 4, the torp spotting task is a tad annoying.  On the face of it, the task is fairly straightforward.  But if you've already completed the DD task, but not completed the other ship type tasks, you may be in for some rough sledding trying to spot torpedoes.  And also remember that CV planes can no longer spot torps, so no help there.  And another D4 task that's a bit of a slog is the 3M damage one.   3M damage is straightforward and isn't passive at all.  You just go out there and do a lot of damage.  But, dang, 3M is a LOT of damage to be doing if you're playing a lot of coop battles, since it's difficult to farm all that much damage if you have anything like a halfway competent team.  It's a bit easier to damage farm at high tiers in coop if there are enough BBs and few DDs (i.e. more BBs == more HPs to farm).

 

On the whole, I have few gripes with this event.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
14 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Regardless, for people who have made the choice to not play clan battles and/or only play coop, YOU made the choice to make your life more difficult when it comes to these events.  You KNOW that earning credits or base XP or whatever will always be more difficult in coop than in other game modes, such as randoms, clan battles, ranked, or operations. 

I think you're being a little bit harsh as regards clan battles here. Some clans, not just the WOLF clans, are very casual or very small, and it can sometimes be difficult to get together enough players at the right time. Yes, I know the answer is technically to change clans, but that presupposes one that would suit you having empty slots to fill and wanting you. 

There was no way on God's earth I was doing that cash grind in co-op. NO WAY. Not without a thousand Wyvern flags and all the time in the world. 10K Base XP in co-op? Actually not all that bad, especially if you're in a speedy destroyer, you play well, and you wreck face. Quick, fast-paced games and a high win rate keep the morale up and the adrenaline pumping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,280
[SALVO]
Members
23,458 posts
24,073 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think you're being a little bit harsh as regards clan battles here. Some clans, not just the WOLF clans, are very casual or very small, and it can sometimes be difficult to get together enough players at the right time. Yes, I know the answer is technically to change clans, but that presupposes one that would suit you having empty slots to fill and wanting you. 

There was no way on God's earth I was doing that cash grind in co-op. NO WAY. Not without a thousand Wyvern flags and all the time in the world. 10K Base XP in co-op? Actually not all that bad, especially if you're in a speedy destroyer, you play well, and you wreck face. Quick, fast-paced games and a high win rate keep the morale up and the adrenaline pumping.

I don't think that I'm being harsh at all.  You make your choices and you live with the consequences.  If you've chosen to be in a very small and/or very casual (i.e. non-competitive) clan, there are consequences to that decision.  

As for credit grinding in coop, I agree.  At the same time, because I would also be working my other stuff (as described above), I would certainly take whatever credits I happen to grind out along the way (and not bother with any credit enhancing signals or camos) in coop.  But yes, I'd do my serious credit grinding in other game modes.

As for BXP grinding, I think that it's easier in DDs than, say, BBs, because they're speedy and you can get into the action a lot quicker and with some luck and skill, do a lot of the farming before the slower, harder hitters have a chance to get there to do their own farming.  But unless you're playing high tier coop where the BBs are faster, mid tier BBs tend to be slower and in my experience, often you can't get into the action fast enough to farm enough damage to earn good BXP before the  faster ships have already done their farming and killed off the enemy and ended the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
157 posts
10,888 battles

I'm still working on Directive 3 (2 to go; working on the UK and German lines for expediency, I hope).  May finish them by Friday evening, but it's been a long haul to get that far.  I've only got 2-3 hours max on weekdays to play due to RL.  And weekends are hit or miss lately.  See if I can get it all done by Sunday evening (hoping from what I've read above that Directive 4 is a bit easier than 3).  The 3 million for 6 lines in Directive 3 have been a pain, and I have most lines started with ships up to T7, T8 or T9 in most cases (only one T10 so far), and a lot of premiums.  My biggest obstacles have been finding playing time and then doing well enough in randoms or crunching out double in coop to get the credits.  Guess we shall see by the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

If you've chosen to be in a very small and/or very casual (i.e. non-competitive) clan, there are consequences to that decision.  

There are, but that can extend to many other things as well. And while clan or ranked battle wins can be quite lucrative, they aren't the only way to reap a lot of credits in PvP play.

But my main concern is for the sort of player who might have finished something like North Cape with just a handful of Tier 5 ships and sheer willpower, but would face an automatic block on this event purely through not having had time to get enough ships in enough lines for the six-nation credit grind. You need to have a pathway through the event for someone who gets there on nothing more than sheer determination and outstanding solo gameplay, even if there are easier paths available for veteran players with vast fleets or people who just happen to draw a useful early-release ship on their first crate on day 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,280
[SALVO]
Members
23,458 posts
24,073 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are, but that can extend to many other things as well. And while clan or ranked battle wins can be quite lucrative, they aren't the only way to reap a lot of credits in PvP play.

But my main concern is for the sort of player who might have finished something like North Cape with just a handful of Tier 5 ships and sheer willpower, but would face an automatic block on this event purely through not having had time to get enough ships in enough lines for the six-nation credit grind. You need to have a pathway through the event for someone who gets there on nothing more than sheer determination and outstanding solo gameplay, even if there are easier paths available for veteran players with vast fleets or people who just happen to draw a useful early-release ship on their first crate on day 1.

1.  Of course there are other paths to reap credits.  Clan Battles just happens to be one of the most lucrative, if not THE most lucrative.

2.  I guess that I see these events as being more for veteran players as a form of loyalty "reward".  The player who is new or doesn't have the time for the grind always seems to have the option of buying the end reward premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The player who is new or doesn't have the time for the grind always seems to have the option of buying the end reward premium.

The option exists, but the player might not always be in a position to take advantage of it (too poor, only a kid with no online spending capacity, etc). I want to keep those people in mind, and not have them be shut out. As I've said - by all means give the veterans an easier path, I'm fine with that, but don't shut it down completely for the newbies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[TIRP]
Members
25 posts
2,835 battles
4 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

I would agree with the analysis, but one added criticism I have for the event is that as a longggggg time player, many of the loot box options and the packages (bought with tokens or the 30 1,000 doubloons random ones) had as a major component credits.  For me, I am sitting on over 300 million, and so any package/loot box that contains credits is not one that I value as greatly as one that supplies resources (coal, free exp, steel), no need for me to pull out my wallet or spend doubloons for an item that is one of the easiest things to get in the game.

How do you have so many credits?!? Credits are almost always my most needed resource. Have you already gotten through all the ship lines? I wish you could give me some of those credits. I have three T8 ships researched, but don't have the credits to purchase. :Smile_unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,905
[ARGSY]
Members
15,794 posts
10,648 battles
5 minutes ago, BoomBoomBarney said:

How do you have so many credits?!? Credits are almost always my most needed resource. Have you already gotten through all the ship lines? I wish you could give me some of those credits. I have three T8 ships researched, but don't have the credits to purchase. :Smile_unsure:

There are two basic ways to accumulate mega-piles of credits, and both rely on incoming > outgoing.


1) Obtain all the ship lines to Tier 10 (and keep them).

2) Decide that you are going to stop at some arbitrary lower tier in one or more lines, as may suit your preferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×