FlashTX1

Kamikaze Attack on USS John Burke

5 comments in this topic

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
882 posts
9,838 battles

After stumbling across this today while watching a video on rail guns I was stunned I had never heard nor seen this before.  If you haven't heard about it or seen the video, it's unreal! 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,918 posts
4,000 battles

Not as big an explosion, but here is the HMS Barhams rear magazine detonating after a German submarine attack.

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
882 posts
9,838 battles
13 hours ago, _1204_ said:

Not as big an explosion, but here is the HMS Barhams rear magazine detonating after a German submarine attack.

That's a pretty big one as well.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
On 8/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, _1204_ said:

I've always wondered why magazines explode when a ship is capsizing. Hood dis the same when she sank, her front magazines blew along with the Yamato although the latter could have been caused by fires from the attack

Members
728 posts
8 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

I've always wondered why magazines explode when a ship is capsizing. Hood dis the same when she sank, her front magazines blew along with the Yamato although the latter could have been caused by fires from the attack

I believe the Royal Navy thought that HMS Barnum exploded because the 4" magazines were on fire.  HMS Hood probably detonated her front magazines because of the sheer force of the rear magazine detonation.

4XVU9zy.jpg

Probably same thing happened to Yamato.  She was hit by a lot of bombs and torpedoes and her damage control center had been destroyed.  There could have been any number of raging internal fires going on when the crew tried to abandon ship.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this