You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Omg. How do you hit ships with RN torps?

9 comments in this topic

Members
2,242 posts
4,872 battles

I cant hit crap with these torps. Im always aiming way to far behind. I try to get as close to CE range as i can because they are slow. Anytips?

I try to aim about one full  marker length ahead of the indicated marker.

do you use single torp launches or salvo?

Edited by Legio_X_

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,038 posts
8,590 battles

just like any torps. if the ship is cruising at full speed and towards an objective... aim with the indicator.  if its sitting still use single torps and send a tight ship wide spread. Also, use single torps for area denial. I really like single torps. 

Members
3,980 posts
18,708 battles

I don't usually use the single launch except for the perfect situations like a tanking battleship or similar stationary target

Yet as with any you must use your torp fu, there actually pretty good torpedoes

Members
2,396 posts
4,102 battles

I actually am really growing fond of the single fire torps. It gives you situational flexibility, like when you want to fire torpedoes against a ship that is maneuvering head-on toward you, and you are confident which way they will turn, i.e. they are limited by terrain. It also lets you snipe a bit around sinking ships, which could otherwise shield someone from the brunt of a torpedo spread. It also lets you fire a larger spread than the default wide pattern, or to fire a spread that has one torpedo to 'herd' your target and then the bulk of the tubes fired toward where you're trying to get your target to go. Just a really flexible option. I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually really want to try RN destroyers now having had the option on RN cruisers.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,616 posts
15,405 battles

You realize that you need to account for the probability of a ship speeding up when launching your torps right?  Torps will hit exactly where they are aimed if a target does not change course or speed - regardless of nationality.  You have to decide whether a target will slow down, speed up or kite away and adjust your aim accordingly.

• Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
143 posts
7,884 battles
40 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I actually am really growing fond of the single fire torps. It gives you situational flexibility, like when you want to fire torpedoes against a ship that is maneuvering head-on toward you, and you are confident which way they will turn, i.e. they are limited by terrain. It also lets you snipe a bit around sinking ships, which could otherwise shield someone from the brunt of a torpedo spread. It also lets you fire a larger spread than the default wide pattern, or to fire a spread that has one torpedo to 'herd' your target and then the bulk of the tubes fired toward where you're trying to get your target to go. Just a really flexible option. I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually really want to try RN destroyers now having had the option on RN cruisers.

What Rainbow said.

I use single-fire almost exclusively. I'll use 1 torpedo to cause my target to react, then place the rest for damage. If you saw an incoming torpedo that is just a little too far ahead of your bow, you'd probably slow down and possibly turn. That's why I launched my other torpedoes behind the target indicator.

I like to fire them in a line. If the target is stationary (I did this in Clan Battles against an island-camping Cleveland), you can land every single one. Otherwise, you can pause between each, to build a fence for the enemy. If you're out on a flank, this can set up some nice broadsides for your battleships.

I also like to aim for multiple targets, or at least multiple angles to cross-torp. This is fun in a DD with Torpedo Reload Booster, but single-fire can do it too. This requires you to get in a bit closer. I fire 1 torpedo at my target, then run for a different angle and launch another. If my target is screwed, I'll unload everything. If they're still mobile, I'll run again for another angle. It's annoying to be targeted in this way in a cruiser, and far worse if you're in something like Bismarck and you just lost all speed as you turned into the island to dodge that first torpedo.

P.S. I think of torpedoes as primarily directed at the opposing player, secondarily at their ship. A torpedo that's too close will cause them to react. Torpedoes from many directions at once will be stressful and confusing. And the threat of torpedoes can keep someone out of an area, what I think Kuroshiokai calls "zoning out" the enemy.

P.P.S. Watch some of Destroyer Kuroshiokai's videos. He explains DD play very well. 

Edited by imaginary_b
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NVRDY]
Members
165 posts
13,164 battles

I have average torpedo stats but my single fire average is higher than spread torp average 6% vs 10%. You gotta remember the indicator is of the current speed and direction of the target 🎯, if those variables change the indicator changes. So just like hitting moving 🎯 with your guns you need to estimate their future position... Like speeding up.. Slowing down.. Turning.. Good luck... Happy hunting 

[UTWE]
Members
339 posts
5,352 battles

Like any other type of torpedoes... except (and idc what ppl say) USE SINGLE FIRE TORPS you can be so flexible with your salvos they are so useful, it makes me sad when I see an RN DD using widespreads. Only use widespreads in tight close quarters situations.

[ARGSY]
Members
295 posts
7,416 battles

I love them. It is the best thing about the British ships. I tend to fire tight erratic groups. It is an all or nothing theory.  I really don't fire many singles because your launcher will not reload until you fire all of them. I fire off at least a full launcher's worth when I am shooting. You can't have too many torps in the water anyways.