Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vader_Sama

4th Directive 10k base xp for CV

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles

If you haven't already realized, Killer Whale is the op of the week which means you can now queue up the tier 6 CVs and farm that op to finish up the 4th directive for the CV base xp requirement.

 

It took me just 5 games to do so all the while getting great payouts in credits and free xp

 

shot-19_08_14_17_14.00-0971.thumb.jpg.7b9a7711fa84eadf86f3906825b3e493.jpg

I can say that Killer Whale is the one and only op where I can confidently load up my best camos and flags without worry of losing the op.

 

shot-19_08.14_15_25.52-0070.thumb.jpg.23b498a688a5e41793c23372c6add06e.jpgshot-19_08.14_15_25.55-0779.thumb.jpg.9e1a75271ce9422ee68afa9348a60e3a.jpg

 

shot-19_08.14_16_27.19-0667.thumb.jpg.48ce6933aa89c8a38d77525081fb87f1.jpgshot-19_08.14_16_27.23-0628.thumb.jpg.28da23a7d12a895f35062228c26609a8.jpg

shot-19_08.14_17_13.28-0690.thumb.jpg.3a02a2c3bf30d5e26a01ec10b5fa08ff.jpgshot-19_08.14_17_13.30-0197.thumb.jpg.78006217536d868d2797032d8b2dff1c.jpg

shot-19_08.14_15_00.05-0600.thumb.jpg.689fed9c9ec5f479b0f02c89599bfd2e.jpgshot-19_08.14_15.00_08-0375.thumb.jpg.c69d137bfcc4d5c2e7f866b05b2f32aa.jpg

 

Use this week to your advantage if you have CVs and want to finish up the 4th directive or just obtain another french container.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[DBRIS]
Members
358 posts
8,476 battles
8 minutes ago, cecill611 said:

I suck with the new CVs not even playing Killer Whale would help me.

{show off}

Same here. I need to practice some more with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles
Just now, ItsSubmersible said:

Same here. I need to practice some more with them.

Killer whale is pretty much a perfect op to practice in, the AA are virtually nonexistent except for those forts.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,026
[RLGN]
Members
12,300 posts
22,047 battles

Show off big time.

Apparently all I get are the bots who cluster up and mass their AA fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
621
[HC]
Beta Testers
2,395 posts
11,806 battles

Operations in general are a great way to work on your CV skills provided you know the operation reasonably well before you try and take a CV in it.

You know what has good AA, what doesn't, and if they didn't spawn in a blob, they generally don't blob up.

You've got most of 20 minutes to work on damage, long games favor good damage and XP in CV's.

They other players are generally nicer to deal with, CV's are good at making sure the secondary objectives get done, and everyone likes the nicer payouts from more stars.

As a CV, you're more useful than destroyers in most Operations. Aegis is the only operation that I see benefits in having a good DD on the team. (A well driven gun DD can murder low tier IJN cruisers) In Killer Whale, Newport, and Raptor Rescue, the lack of durability really hurts them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles

One big tip I will say on getting decent xp in Killer Whale is to hit those fleeing transports as soon as you can, but don't just totally ignore the BBs in the harbor.

 

Use torpedoes on those transports and hit at least two of them then move on to the next healthiest transports. Don't bother making another pass on a transport you already got two torp hits on just for the sake of a kill, just hit the next one and maximize the damage you do.

This may seem selfish, but honestly when you queue up solo for an op, everyone is gonna try to get the most out of it, so might as well take advantage of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,337
[O_O]
Members
5,806 posts
13,429 battles

Is there a winning strategy for achieving those numbers?  I'm not much of a CV player, and I could only hit 800 base XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Is there a winning strategy for achieving those numbers?  I'm not much of a CV player, and I could only hit 800 base XP.

Well the easiest way to get decent xp is to hit the fleeing transports with torpedo bombers.

Just one pass on each transports will give you a lot of xp, don't need to kill them just at least have 2 torps hit on each of them.

 

However don't just ignore the other ships in the harbor entirely, plan a strafing run where you drop one on the BBs and then immediately drop another on the transports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,884
[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
On 8/14/2019 at 9:50 PM, Vader_Sama said:

Killer Whale is the one and only op where I can confidently load up my best camos and flags without worry of losing the op

Oh, you naive fool. :Smile_teethhappy: (only joking)

In a Hoperations division, maybe, but there are teams which will do EVERYTHING in their power, it seems, to contrive to screw this op up and turn an easy win into a loss.

On a more serious note, thanks for the hints. The directives are all done for me now, and the tokens are all mined, so I might go try get myself that crate.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In a Hoperations division, maybe, but there are teams which will do EVERYTHING in their power, it seems, to contrive to screw this op up and turn an easy win into a loss.

I should clarify that Killer Whale is the one and only op that I will load up my best modifiers in a solo queue. In fact I won't load up my best stuff in a hoperation division because everyone there will take all the damage that I would've been able to get in a random team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,884
[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
8 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

I should clarify that Killer Whale is the one and only op that I will load up my best modifiers in a solo queue. In fact I won't load up my best stuff in a hoperation division because everyone there will take all the damage that I would've been able to get in a random team.

:Smile_teethhappy:

I won't load flags at all with Random teams because I'm too concerned about the light cruisers and destroyers not being in a position to nail the bot V-25 and Wakatake etc. when they try to interdict the base zone, and me failing to do so because I'm not yet good enough at nailing destroyers. It's not so critical in a northern-exit game but in a western-exit game it could cost me my ship. The majority of times I have run this op solo (not in a CV), they have either come close or cost us that star.

I'd rather load up and take the increased XP that comes from a guaranteed five-star run with the Hoperations people, but all they ever seem to want to run when I've been on is Narai. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

I won't load flags at all with Random teams because I'm too concerned about the light cruisers and destroyers not being in a position to nail the bot V-25 and Wakatake etc. when they try to interdict the base zone, and me failing to do so because I'm not yet good enough at nailing destroyers. It's not so critical in a northern-exit game but in a western-exit game it could cost me my ship. The majority of times I have run this op solo (not in a CV), they have either come close or cost us that star.

I'd rather load up and take the increased XP that comes from a guaranteed five-star run with the Hoperations people, but all they ever seem to want to run when I've been on is Narai. 

Unless some requests tier 6 ops, we usually stick for Narai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,105 posts
3,709 battles
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

I should clarify that Killer Whale is the one and only op that I will load up my best modifiers in a solo queue. In fact I won't load up my best stuff in a hoperation division because everyone there will take all the damage that I would've been able to get in a random team.

I would run Killer Whale in Hoperations with you, I enjoy all the operations for the fun value, and I have more T6 than T7 options, so it's all good to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,009
[WOLF8]
Members
5,854 posts
5,508 battles

I personally feel like people like Vader-sama are actually a bit of an exception. Kind of like those unicum CV players in Random, who can still make the CV's sing and dance like a diva, no matter how much the CV's are nerfed.

Last time I played Killer Whale in post-0.8.5 environment, I saw quite a number of CV players who simply couldn't keep up, even against the Tier III enemy ships like Nassau and Kawachii, who are suppose to have poor AA. Sure, the CV players were indeed launching strikes, but most of their planes simply couldn't come back, as they got mostly obliterated as they were dropping off the payload. Then it was just a matter of time when they just eventually end up sitting there, pretty much effectively deplaned, while it's only been around half way into the operation. And it's not just few occasions that I saw this, but quite often actually, whenever there was a CV player in the Op.

I know I may sound a bit befuddled, but I would really like to learn the secrets of "success" that people like Vader sama is enjoying. If you ask me, those CV players that I saw weren't like horrible players or anything. I never noticed them doing anything way out of ordinary or dumb, rather they were all simply trying to do their best at finding isolated targets and launch strikes at them.

I donno, maybe it's just me... and all those people who are not like Vader sama, who seem to have some trouble making CV's work, even in PvE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[-BRS-]
Members
1,353 posts
18,070 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

I won't load flags at all with Random teams because I'm too concerned about the light cruisers and destroyers not being in a position to nail the bot V-25 and Wakatake etc. when they try to interdict the base zone, and me failing to do so because I'm not yet good enough at nailing destroyers. It's not so critical in a northern-exit game but in a western-exit game it could cost me my ship. The majority of times I have run this op solo (not in a CV), they have either come close or cost us that star.

I'd rather load up and take the increased XP that comes from a guaranteed five-star run with the Hoperations people, but all they ever seem to want to run when I've been on is Narai. 

 

4 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Unless some requests tier 6 ops, we usually stick for Narai

Like Vader_Sama said, we default to Narai as that is the Scenario with the most benefits in general. We do switch to others when requested when someone needs something done that works much better in another Scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[-BRS-]
Members
1,353 posts
18,070 battles
42 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I personally feel like people like Vader-sama are actually a bit of an exception. Kind of like those unicum CV players in Random, who can still make the CV's sing and dance like a diva, no matter how much the CV's are nerfed.

Last time I played Killer Whale in post-0.8.5 environment, I saw quite a number of CV players who simply couldn't keep up, even against the Tier III enemy ships like Nassau and Kawachii, who are suppose to have poor AA. Sure, the CV players were indeed launching strikes, but most of their planes simply couldn't come back, as they got mostly obliterated as they were dropping off the payload. Then it was just a matter of time when they just eventually end up sitting there, pretty much effectively deplaned, while it's only been around half way into the operation. And it's not just few occasions that I saw this, but quite often actually, whenever there was a CV player in the Op.

I know I may sound a bit befuddled, but I would really like to learn the secrets of "success" that people like Vader sama is enjoying. If you ask me, those CV players that I saw weren't like horrible players or anything. I never noticed them doing anything way out of ordinary or dumb, rather they were all simply trying to do their best at finding isolated targets and launch strikes at them.

I donno, maybe it's just me... and all those people who are not like Vader sama, who seem to have some trouble making CV's work, even in PvE.

I did both aircraft carrier directive tasks running a Furious in Killer Whale. The new version of aircraft carriers since 0.8.0 frankly is boring to me with no real desire to play them. My games have not been spectacular like Vader_Sama's but passable. I have been able to get 100k+ damage pretty consistently in Killer Whale and I almost never touch aircraft carriers anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,707 posts
7,396 battles
2 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I personally feel like people like Vader-sama are actually a bit of an exception. Kind of like those unicum CV players in Random, who can still make the CV's sing and dance like a diva, no matter how much the CV's are nerfed.

Last time I played Killer Whale in post-0.8.5 environment, I saw quite a number of CV players who simply couldn't keep up, even against the Tier III enemy ships like Nassau and Kawachii, who are suppose to have poor AA. Sure, the CV players were indeed launching strikes, but most of their planes simply couldn't come back, as they got mostly obliterated as they were dropping off the payload. Then it was just a matter of time when they just eventually end up sitting there, pretty much effectively deplaned, while it's only been around half way into the operation. And it's not just few occasions that I saw this, but quite often actually, whenever there was a CV player in the Op.

I know I may sound a bit befuddled, but I would really like to learn the secrets of "success" that people like Vader sama is enjoying. If you ask me, those CV players that I saw weren't like horrible players or anything. I never noticed them doing anything way out of ordinary or dumb, rather they were all simply trying to do their best at finding isolated targets and launch strikes at them.

I donno, maybe it's just me... and all those people who are not like Vader sama, who seem to have some trouble making CV's work, even in PvE.

If people are being deplaned in Killer Whale then it's either

A: They are flying too close to forts with AA (4km-4.5km is the AA range from those forts)

or

B: They are simply staying way way too long in the AA bubble of multiple ships in which case even if their planes didn't get shot down, they would be wasting time and not contributing much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44
[WOLFC]
Members
129 posts
10,138 battles
2 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I personally feel like people like Vader-sama are actually a bit of an exception. Kind of like those unicum CV players in Random, who can still make the CV's sing and dance like a diva, no matter how much the CV's are nerfed.

Last time I played Killer Whale in post-0.8.5 environment, I saw quite a number of CV players who simply couldn't keep up, even against the Tier III enemy ships like Nassau and Kawachii, who are suppose to have poor AA. Sure, the CV players were indeed launching strikes, but most of their planes simply couldn't come back, as they got mostly obliterated as they were dropping off the payload. Then it was just a matter of time when they just eventually end up sitting there, pretty much effectively deplaned, while it's only been around half way into the operation. And it's not just few occasions that I saw this, but quite often actually, whenever there was a CV player in the Op.

I know I may sound a bit befuddled, but I would really like to learn the secrets of "success" that people like Vader sama is enjoying. If you ask me, those CV players that I saw weren't like horrible players or anything. I never noticed them doing anything way out of ordinary or dumb, rather they were all simply trying to do their best at finding isolated targets and launch strikes at them.

I donno, maybe it's just me... and all those people who are not like Vader sama, who seem to have some trouble making CV's work, even in PvE.

Just to add another data point, I have no trouble launching full TB strikes right up to the end of Killer Whale. Having said that, I stay away from forts and I stir in some dive bomber runs here and there to take the edge off my TB regeneration (but it's not really necessary).

If anything, this is a much less threatening operation for carriers than something like Newport or Aegis. Some (but not all) of the ships in those ops have some serious AA teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,337
[O_O]
Members
5,806 posts
13,429 battles

I have been grinding the US, Japanese and RN carriers on this Operation.  Not just for the dangling French crate reward, but also to teach me some CV basics as I am a very rare CV player.

Initially, I was having a hard time contributing much at all.  Now, however, I am consistently in the top 2 or 3.

I start with torpedoe planes, fly around the forts as their AA is strong, and go for the BB parked on the SW corner.  I make my first drop on it, push forward to the next BB that stays anchored the entire op and drop on it, then push forward and drop on the cargo ships.  Typically, that is 6 torp hits on the first flight, with 0-1 plane lost.

After this attack, I start moving my ship to the harbor.  Usually I can immediately launch another full torpedo plane attack, and I will attack the cargo ships and/or BB's.  Usually once per game I'll launch rocket planes and make a run on shore installations.  I'll throw in a few dive bomber attacks on ships.

Once the harbor is taken, I'll move my CV deeper into the harbor, and move behind an island toward the escape objective once it is revealed.  Then I will make attacks on the Fury and other objective BB, if I am not forced to attack another ship that is entering the harbor, or to help clear the escape path.

My attack runs are getting better.  I am still improving on proper lead so I can get a proper, tight weapon drop.

After many, many attempts, I am still a little over 1,000 base XP away from completing the CV directive! :cap_old:  I am getting a couple of 1,000+ base XP games now, though!

Oh, and wins are certainly not a given in this Op.  A lot of players really have no clue, and I can't carry them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,884
[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
16 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

  A lot of players really have no clue, and I can't carry them.

This is my fear as well. Carriers can't carry any more, because they can't one-shot healthy larger warships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44
[WOLFC]
Members
129 posts
10,138 battles
7 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I have been grinding the US, Japanese and RN carriers on this Operation.  Not just for the dangling French crate reward, but also to teach me some CV basics as I am a very rare CV player.

Initially, I was having a hard time contributing much at all.  Now, however, I am consistently in the top 2 or 3.

I start with torpedoe planes, fly around the forts as their AA is strong, and go for the BB parked on the SW corner.  I make my first drop on it, push forward to the next BB that stays anchored the entire op and drop on it, then push forward and drop on the cargo ships.  Typically, that is 6 torp hits on the first flight, with 0-1 plane lost.

After this attack, I start moving my ship to the harbor.  Usually I can immediately launch another full torpedo plane attack, and I will attack the cargo ships and/or BB's.  Usually once per game I'll launch rocket planes and make a run on shore installations.  I'll throw in a few dive bomber attacks on ships.

Once the harbor is taken, I'll move my CV deeper into the harbor, and move behind an island toward the escape objective once it is revealed.  Then I will make attacks on the Fury and other objective BB, if I am not forced to attack another ship that is entering the harbor, or to help clear the escape path.

My attack runs are getting better.  I am still improving on proper lead so I can get a proper, tight weapon drop.

After many, many attempts, I am still a little over 1,000 base XP away from completing the CV directive! :cap_old:  I am getting a couple of 1,000+ base XP games now, though!

Oh, and wins are certainly not a given in this Op.  A lot of players really have no clue, and I can't carry them.

I've played this scenario a lot in a CV.

After awhile, you can start to see where random teams have problems and where they have an easier time. By focusing on the problem areas, you sort of are carrying the team in a way.

A month ago, I recorded the results of my entire week of pubg play in Killer Whale. I never divisioned up. Just played like anyone else would. Out of 72 matches my record was 65 wins and 7 losses, a 9.3:1 win ratio. I played CV's 41 times in that span and lost 2 times. I played other ships 31 times and lost 5 times. Not a good sample size, but it definitely felt like I was helping the team to a win more in a CV. It also began to be painfully apparent when other CV drivers let their teams fail.

Want to help your team win? Here's some things you can do:

  1. Kill the G-101 in the SW corner of the harbor first. Use TB's, because you can't kill it fast enough with rockets. It's hard for everyone who is not @Vader_Sama, but you can do it. If you don't, it makes entering the harbor by the south entrance messy and dangerous and a lot of players get torp'd and killed right there. Conversely, most teams have little issue dealing with the Karlsruhe in the middle entrance so they don't need help there.
  2. Don't accidentally spot the Konig Albert (the ship that pulls away from the dock when it's spotted) while you're lining up TB shots in the SW bay. It will sail out and attack your team while they're still dealing with the BB and CL in the SW harbor.
  3. The bots react to your presence and will try to turn to avoid your attacks. Use TB and DB attacks to force them to turn broadside to your team.
  4. I don't bother with the transports because I invest the time torpedoing the Konig Albert or citadeling the stationary BB (Konig?) in the port. Yes it will get you more dmg, but if you're goal is to get a team win you let the team handle them.
  5. At 12:30 in the match, stop what you're doing and send a TB squad out to D1, find the V-25 and kill that squirmy bastard. He appears right around 12:00 when the "reinforcements" announcement is made. If you don't kill this DD most teams will let him enter the South entrance and lose the team a star, or he'll just spot for the other bots and get cruisers killed or torp'd while exiting the harbor. Sometimes the V-25 will just sit there stopped in the water and you can kill it in one salvo if your alignment is good.
  6. If the exit is North, prioritize all the objectives in the NW. You have enough time to, by yourself, kill both BB's and put a dent in the Kohlberg or whatever that CL is that appears far West. If just one competent ship helps you, you can clean up everything. The exiting ships will take care of the objective CL and BB in the NE.
  7. If the exit is West, head North first to spot the incoming CL and alert your team to the fact that it needs to be killed. Torp it to make it turn, you don't want it getting too far South and losing you a star. If a couple of ships head North to deal with the BB, abort the attack and head West to help ships exit. It's vital that some ships make it to the exit circle, but how many is highly variable and situation dependent. Help them get there by spotting and attacking threats while you are dealing with the Western objectives.

Also, in general, keep your CV as near to the fight as you can without getting it sunk. I've seen people put their CVs in the bottom left corner of the map and leave it there. I cannot say this strongly enough: This is a fail move. You are too far away to keep up a decent sortie rate, don't do this. I keep my CV right inside the small barrier island that separates the harbor from the rest of the map and only move it when it's time to exit. If the exit is North, you can also move your CV along the inside of the long barrier island to minimize flight time to Western targets.

Use your fighters to spot targets the rest of your team can shoot at. Put them right in front of onrushing bots both to call attention to their presence and to let your team target them.

Finally, your CV can win the match by sailing into the exit circle before the time expires. Don't be that idiot CV sitting in the harbor or in the map corner stationary when time runs out. I have turned losses into some type of victory by autopiloting the CV into the circle in between launches.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,884
[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
13 hours ago, aardvark7734 said:

Here's some things you can do:

Thank you. @Lightninger has already shown us on YouTube how @Vader_Sama does it, but it helps some people (including me) to be able to see something in print.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×