Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

The "fun and engaging" weakness of French DDs...

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,537
[PVE]
Members
1,565 posts
13,406 battles

...Is getting hounded to death by a CV. Once you are spotted, all the red CV has to do is keep circling until you run to friendlies or sink, whichever happens first. Either way you are no longer able to do jack squat for the match since there's no smoke consumable to use to get away from the planes.

And not to mention the great AA on these DDs: Mogador has a whopping 17 and all the others below are in the single digits so you have no AA to fight back.

I was just permaspotted/circled by the CV last match and wanna know my plane damage? 1210! And two whole planes shot down, yippie! Great work with that pistol and megaphone there Jacque!

Seriously I don't think I will be playing French DDs much after this event, well, other than Aigle. That one is still fun to play because SHE HAS SMOKE.:fish_palm:

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Boring 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
117
[SCREW]
Members
661 posts
7,291 battles

To be fair tho... I have the tier 8 and any time the CV doesn't focus you that thing is the most broken thing I have ever seen at tier 8.... Once you figure out the play-style.... well honestly I think they may have to nerf it some...

I love that they finally gave us more DDs that don't have smoke, gets boring when all the DDs have the same gimmick, there are  8 other lines of DDs for those that would prefer smoke...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[CAP]
Members
84 posts
12,185 battles

The French line gives up a ton for decent 139mm guns.  Mogador bests out at 7.1km detection and still has 8km torps (but fast torps...I assume so you don't run them over with that blazing speed).  I've had moderately poor success with the ship.  I think because it is more like playing a French Cruiser than a DD.  I've had some fun sneaking up on cruisers and blasting them for citadel damage on rapid reload as well as smoke sitting DDs but those tricks don't work out for long term success for a ship.  Rudder / Size of the ship feels a bit fat as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,402
[INTEL]
Members
11,531 posts
32,243 battles

I have Jaguar and Sciroco. Both are uninspiring. I could play Nicholas with 3.6 second reload, smoke, vicious torps, devastating AA, and good conceal. Or Okhotnik with powerful Alpha and meme torps and smoke. Or Gremy with excellent range, good torps, and smoke.

Or I can spend the whole match spotted and being no particular threat in Sciroco. No thanks.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,177
[WOLFB]
Members
3,108 posts
12,917 battles

God forbid player who die to their extinct counter.

 

French DD are countered by CV....CV that are already dead. Such a big deal.

 

But hey, if you don't want to play them then pls do so. That's one heavy threat I'll not have to deal with.

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,481
[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

If you're being perma spotted in a DD it's usually because you're getting too close. Try turning around and running the opposite way of the CV if you don't want to get focused.  It's not a CV flaw, you're being too brazen and pushing your luck. You'd be focused in any other ship if you push too much. Wait until the CV is focused on somebody else. But honestly the French DD's do just fine while spotted and are incredibly difficult for a CV to kill if played correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,148
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,870 posts
13,997 battles

one of most annoying and strong dds on this game complaining about not have strong AA

what next? ask for battleship guns?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
551
[5D]
Members
864 posts
10,828 battles

French DD are play like Russian DD , torp are for when the opportunity presents itself , gun are the dmg maker , with aft and range mode one can burn BB at 17.8km away !

Past 15km BB are pretty hard to hit you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,537
[PVE]
Members
1,565 posts
13,406 battles

This would mean playing a DD like a cruiser which is pointless because there are French Cruisers if you wanna do that.

57 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

If you're being perma spotted in a DD it's usually because you're getting too close. Try turning around and running the opposite way of the CV if you don't want to get focused.  It's not a CV flaw, you're being too brazen and pushing your luck. You'd be focused in any other ship if you push too much. Wait until the CV is focused on somebody else. But honestly the French DD's do just fine while spotted and are incredibly difficult for a CV to kill if played correctly.

Edited by Rabbitt81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,032
[RLGN]
Members
12,303 posts
22,049 battles
50 minutes ago, dad003 said:

French DD are play like Russian DD , torp are for when the opportunity presents itself , gun are the dmg maker , with aft and range mode one can burn BB at 17.8km away !

Past 15km BB are pretty hard to hit you

Eeeeexcept my long range gunnery sucks, and if your DD guns are shooting that far, you’re playing high tiers, which I don’t care for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
539 posts
4,879 battles

Lol CVs and the lack of AA are one of the only weaknesses of French DDs, particularly at high tiers. My Mogador will kill any DD 1 v 1. Some it will pay for and others will be painless. Vaporizing light cruisers with AP and MBRB can literally just take seconds. Heavy cruisers and BBs die to fire or torps. The speed allows you to reinforce weak sections of the map or even run to friendly AA. I’ve got 500k xp on my Mogador and I’d say it’s the most powerful DD in the game and can’t wait for Kleber. But it performs best when the enemy team is spread out and late game. When I see a CV in game I say poo too but I know it’s a small price to pay. So I’ll stick close to AA cruisers since it’s not like I should be capping early game anyway, I should be burning large ships and hunting DDs. Once DDs are dead I can cap all I want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
776
[VETSN]
Members
1,055 posts
7,373 battles
1 hour ago, HyenaHiena said:

one of most annoying and strong dds on this game complaining about not have strong AA

what next? ask for battleship guns?

To be fair, tier 5 and 6 are fairly slow, slow guns, meh torps and not many of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,389
[CAST]
Members
4,801 posts
3,359 battles

Most DDs have abysmal air defenses, with only a few exceptions. Note that French DDs have a special saturation mechanic that makes many shots do very low damage after it's taken a few hits. So if a carrier players wants to chase down a DD doing over 50 knots, he can go nuts. French DDs are NOT the priority for carrier strikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
732
[TOG]
Members
4,044 posts
21,573 battles
19 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Most DDs have abysmal air defenses, with only a few exceptions. Note that French DDs have a special saturation mechanic that makes many shots do very low damage after it's taken a few hits. So if a carrier players wants to chase down a DD doing over 50 knots, he can go nuts. French DDs are NOT the priority for carrier strikes.

It is when you're hunting down a CV. The AA range and Air visibility value are just about equal, so i wouldn't bother turning the AA off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,389
[CAST]
Members
4,801 posts
3,359 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It is when you're hunting down a CV. The AA range and Air visibility value are just about equal, so i wouldn't bother turning the AA off.

True that. And French DDs are exceptionally good at hunting down CVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
732
[TOG]
Members
4,044 posts
21,573 battles

I'm glad I didn't buy the Sirocco. Finished the grind and tried it out. I'd called it "meh". You can't put an engine boost extension module, so you can't leverage it's speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
206 posts
1,751 battles

From my limited experience with the Jaguar, yes...   if a CV chooses to focus you and keep your your french DD spotted its gonna suck.  But it's rare to find a CV driver that will put that much effort into doing that.  It happens but its rare.   For myself I don't consider it a 'weakness' as my given play style in the Jag, I spend most of the game spotted anyway doing the shoot shoot thing so a CV is just one more thing lobbing things at me.   Bottom line is French DDs life is being seen by everyone on the map so if one is going to drive them you gotta get comfortable with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
174 posts
7,458 battles
22 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

. ..Is getting hounded to death by a CV. Once you are spotted, all the red CV has to do is keep circling until you run to friendlies or sink, whichever happens first. Either way you are no longer able to do jack squat for the match since there's no smoke consumable to use to get away from the planes.

You  ARE contributing by keeping the CV off the rest of your team.  Its not glamorous, but can be effective.

Abbye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,113
Members
2,850 posts
6,470 battles
20 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Lol CVs and the lack of AA are one of the only weaknesses of French DDs, particularly at high tiers. My Mogador will kill any DD 1 v 1. Some it will pay for and others will be painless. Vaporizing light cruisers with AP and MBRB can literally just take seconds. Heavy cruisers and BBs die to fire or torps. The speed allows you to reinforce weak sections of the map or even run to friendly AA. I’ve got 500k xp on my Mogador and I’d say it’s the most powerful DD in the game and can’t wait for Kleber. But it performs best when the enemy team is spread out and late game. When I see a CV in game I say poo too but I know it’s a small price to pay. So I’ll stick close to AA cruisers since it’s not like I should be capping early game anyway, I should be burning large ships and hunting DDs. Once DDs are dead I can cap all I want. 

Mog is visible from space. The Kitty is an excellent counter. Mog and Benham have not been impressive in ranked so far. Now the cockroach on the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,476
[KRAK]
Members
3,467 posts
19,290 battles
22 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Lol CVs and the lack of AA are one of the only weaknesses of French DDs, particularly at high tiers. My Mogador will kill any DD 1 v 1. Some it will pay for and others will be painless. Vaporizing light cruisers with AP and MBRB can literally just take seconds. Heavy cruisers and BBs die to fire or torps. The speed allows you to reinforce weak sections of the map or even run to friendly AA. I’ve got 500k xp on my Mogador and I’d say it’s the most powerful DD in the game and can’t wait for Kleber. But it performs best when the enemy team is spread out and late game. When I see a CV in game I say poo too but I know it’s a small price to pay. So I’ll stick close to AA cruisers since it’s not like I should be capping early game anyway, I should be burning large ships and hunting DDs. Once DDs are dead I can cap all I want. 

Meh Mogador can be torn up both by Daring and Harugumo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,214
[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
On 8/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, Sethanas said:

To be fair tho... I have the tier 8 and any time the CV doesn't focus you that thing is the most broken thing I have ever seen at tier 8.... Once you figure out the play-style.... well honestly I think they may have to nerf it some...

I love that they finally gave us more DDs that don't have smoke, gets boring when all the DDs have the same gimmick, there are  8 other lines of DDs for those that would prefer smoke...

No worries, they'll buff CV's again soon, and you'll see two a match....:Smile_teethhappy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,349
[SIM]
Members
4,320 posts
7,329 battles
23 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

This would mean playing a DD like a cruiser which is pointless because there are French Cruisers if you wanna do that.

Hey, look who just admitted that they don’t understand French DDs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×