Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Alienmenace_1

British Tier 9 "Lion"?

11 comments in this topic

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
240 posts
8,925 battles

Hey All;

Does anyone out there know the good and the bad of this ship, other than the Global Wiki says? I just research it, now to get the credits together for it. Since my battleships are the British line. Be informative about it, please.

Thank you

[TROLO]
Members
206 posts
13,383 battles

Pros: decently stealthy, has access to a superheal similar to Conqueror, powerful British HE, much more accurate than Monarch, decent AA and can slot a fighter or spotter
Cons: somewhat clumsy, AP is somewhat lackluster, if your AA is gutted you're powerless against CVs, and before the changes to her citadel and repair party she could not stand sustained torpedo strikes at all.

[AAA]
Members
919 posts
10,499 battles

Very stealthy. Better than half the t10 cruisers. Amazing HE. AP is great as well. AA is good. Zombie heal.

Not a brawler. Back line fighter. If you get focused or push to hard earlier the zombie heal won’t help

Alpha Tester
4,030 posts
5,359 battles

Lion is interesting because it was recently buff/nerfed. It's now more vulnerable to AP shells dealing citadels, but it can cycle its zombie heal faster and heal more of its damage. On the plus side it has really good firepower, with the massive damage and fire chance on its HE and incredible ballistics on the AP. The limited fuse on the AP means less chance of a cit but the guns are still very good at dealing with armor.

Downsides include mediocre HP, not having any incremental plating and therefore high vulnerability to HE, and the tendency of its players to sit in the back spamming HE shells at battleships.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
240 posts
8,925 battles

After I get it, it won't be used right away. Would need to rebuild credits to get all the upgrades and such. But most important. Keep practicing with the Monarch, at least now that I am surviving more in the ship at the end of the match is a good sign for me to get the Lion. And maybe, have a better chance of surviving tier 9 and tier 10 battles more.

Thank you all for the great information.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,213 posts
12,926 battles

Terrible firing angles on the aft turret can tempt you into showing too much side to fire. I suspect that is doubly dangerous with the raised citadel.

The ship is not very accurate, especially firing only 6 barrels much of the time, The AP therefore doesn't work so well. Spamming HE isn't particularly enjoyable. 

Conqueror gets a 4th turret and better firing angles, her firepower effectively almost doubles. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
240 posts
8,925 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

Terrible firing angles on the aft turret can tempt you into showing too much side to fire. I suspect that is doubly dangerous with the raised citadel.

The ship is not very accurate, especially firing only 6 barrels much of the time, The AP therefore doesn't work so well. Spamming HE isn't particularly enjoyable. 

Conqueror gets a 4th turret and better firing angles, her firepower effectively almost doubles. 

Planning on getting the Conqueror also, but I had to research this first. But anyhow, I'm always playing the underdog ship and make them work for me.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,752 posts
20,671 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

This.

Tech Tree RN BBs really aren't that accurate, especially the High Tier ones.  The only reason Conqueror works offensively is 419mm x TWELVE.

Really, USN & RN BBs are similar in their dispersion, i.e. mediocre.  The only reason this gets alleviated is:

1.  USN BBs get 2.0 Sigma North Carolina in Tier VIII.

2.  USN BBs at Tier IX-X finally get access to something that improves dispersion, APRM2 upgrade for Slot 6.

3.  Montana in Tier X gets 12 rifles, a big jump from the 8-9 gun USN BBs of Tier VII-IX.

3.  Conqueror 419mm guns get 12 rifles to shotgun and get hits with.

I was one of those guys that FreeXPd to Conqueror on Day 1 of the Line's release.  Played her, liked her.  I didn't even try Lion until quite a bit later and outside of her Mega Heal, I felt her gunnery was very subpar, even with ASM1 equipped.  And that was still during the days of a lower Citadel for Lion, so I can't imagine it right now being any good.  Even in those days, nobody playing the RN BB Line talked about her much.

KGV in Tier VII, people liked her.

Monarch in Tier VIII, widely despised (which is interesting WG decides to nerf a ship nobody liked).

Lion in Tier IX... As I said, nobody talks about her.

Conqueror in Tier X is the fitting crown jewel of the line.

Conqueror works because of 12 rifles.  Lion I feel doesn't do the job quite as well with her meager gun count.  Hell, if you switch Conqueror to the 8-gun, 2.0 Sigma 457mm gun setup, she'll actually suck.  So hearing testers mention how bad Thunderer sucks with her 457mm x8 setup, it never surprised me.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CAST]
Members
4,774 posts
3,337 battles

My own experience with Lion was largely positive. And this was before the buff. Although obviously, I prefer Conqueror.

Like many of the British BBs, Lion has a fairly responsive rudder by BB standards. It's a comfortable ship to sail and actually goes where you tell it to go, lol.

Sign in to follow this