96 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
2,244 posts
14,692 battles

ST, California & Marceau

WG_SPB_WoWs_california.jpg

American battleship California, tier VII

California takes the role of an American battleship with a large number of low-caliber guns. Due to the citadel under the waterline and large torpedo bulges, the ships boasts good survivability. The ship is similar to New Mexico and inherits the drawback of American low-tier battleships - low speed. 

Hit points – 58300. Plating - 25 mm.

Main battery - 4x3 356 mm. Firing range - 17.0 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 5000. Chance to cause fire – 30%. HE initial velocity - 861 m/s. Maximum AP shell damage - 10500. AP initial velocity - 823 m/s. Reload time - 30.0 s. 180 degree turn time - 60.0 s. Maximum dispersion - 230 м. Sigma – 1.70.

Secondary Armament: 8x2 127.0 mm, range - 5.0 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 1800. Chance to cause fire – 5%. HE initial velocity - 792 m/s
AA defense: 41x2 20.0 mm, 8x2 127.0 mm, 14x4 40.0 mm.

Maximum speed - 20.5 kt. Turning circle radius - 640 m. Rudder shift time – 14.7 s. Surface detectability – 13.5 km. Air detectability – 9.7 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 11.7 km.

Available consumables:
1 slot - Damage Control Party.
2 slot - Repair Party.
3 slot - Spotting Aircraft.

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers. The stats are subject to change during testing.

WG_SPB_WoWs_marceau.jpg

French destroyer Marceau, tier X

Unlike the researchable French destroyers, Marceau is armed with 127mm dual purpose guns. The destroyer has good AA and the Defensive AA Fire as a consumable instead of the Main Battery Reload Booster. Marceau's guns are the same as those of cruiser Colbert, and inherit all of their positive and negative traits: armor piercing shells may be less effective than Kleber's due to bad ballistics, but due to the faster reload, the total damage of high explosive shells may be greater. 

Hit points – 21900. Plating - 19 mm.

Main battery - 4x2 127 mm. Firing range - 11.5 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 2100. Chance to cause fire – 7%. HE initial velocity - 808 m/s. Maximum AP shell damage - 2600. AP initial velocity - 808 m/s. Reload time - 3.5 s. 180 degree turn time - 6.0 s. Maximum dispersion - 117 м. Sigma – 2.00.

Torpedo tubes - 4x3 550 mm. Maximum damage - 14833. Range - 9.0 km. Speed - 60 kt. Reload time - 90 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.

AA defense: 3x4 40.0 mm, 4x2 20.0 mm, 4x2 127.0 mm, 2x2 40.0 mm.

Maximum speed - 44.0 kt. Turning circle radius - 740 m. Rudder shift time – 4.8 s. Surface detectability – 8.9 km. Air detectability – 4.8 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 3.4 km.

Available consumables:

1 slot - Damage Control Party.
2 slot - Defensive AA fire
3 slot - Engine Boost

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers. The stats are subject to change during testing.

WIP4_03.png

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 12
  • Angry 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,025 posts
19,577 battles

A 20 knot T7 BB, ewwwwww. Where did the US ever depart from the "give me a fast ship"?  :cap_cool:

[RLGN]
Members
12,231 posts
21,951 battles
12 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

A 20 knot T7 BB, ewwwwww. Where did the US ever depart from the "give me a fast ship"?  :cap_cool:

WG’s answer to everyone screeching for WeeVee ‘44, Only it’s basically NewMex ‘44 instead... 😑

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,218 posts
12,937 battles

Wow, the 207th premium US Standard Battleship and some fantasy kit-bash T10 French nonsense. 

Wonderful.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4
  • Angry 1

[KWF]
Members
3,732 posts
5,381 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

Wow, the 207th premium US Standard Battleship and some fantasy kit-bash T10 French nonsense. 

Wonderful.

God forbid there's a premium RN CL announced eh? 

As for the new make believe FR DD,  there could have easily been T-47 or T-53 announced, but I guess there were a few unused assets around. Might as well make some profit out of them.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[KSD]
Members
186 posts
9,012 battles

very interesting.  I wonder if the Marceau will be an alternate tier 10 or if it will be a premium.  If it's a premium, I wonder if it will be available for coal or steel?

[SALVO]
Members
23,314 posts
23,942 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

Wonderful.

Well, people did want a WV44, and isn't that basically what this USS California is?

19 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

The USN Standard BBs were built to roughly the same standard in the 1900's and 1910's.  They were meant to have about the same speed so that they could travel together.  And ~21kts was roughly the standard speed for all nations' BBs in that era.  Yes, some were faster, but then the other BBs of that nation had difficulty keeping up with the faster ones in their navy.  So, the USN wanted all their WW1 era BBs to have pretty much the same max speed.  It wasn't until the 1930s that the USN went in a different direction, when engine and boiler technology allowed them to build proper, well armed and armored battleships that had greater speed than the old Standard BBs.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
7,350 posts
5,326 battles
4 minutes ago, Lexington_MuseumO5 said:

very interesting.  I wonder if the Marceau will be an alternate tier 10 or if it will be a premium.  If it's a premium, I wonder if it will be available for coal or steel?

I wonder if it will come with a special captain named Marcel?

• Funny 3

[SUCIT]
Members
649 posts
15,829 battles

California: right off the gate, buff that Turret Traverse to at least 45secs. 60 is too slow for T7. Everything else should be fine for now.

Marceau: I'm pretty sure its prounced something like Mar-so. Seems interesting, basically a Kleber with 5in guns that somehow do more damage than Kleber's 5.5in guns? and reload twice as quick? and can defend itself from planes? Oh wait, Marceau's torps are worse, you get an extra 1km of range but do noticeably less damage and the torps are far slower. However, I think both have the same stealth, so using Marceau's torps without being seen will be easier. I guess Kleber is better against Cruisers because high tier FR AP is no joke, and Marceau will be better at targeting DDs because of the much higher constant DPM but loses AP pen (although those 5in/54s aren't slouches by DD standards in the AP department either)

with Colbert being NTC reward, and Bourgogne being Steel, I would bet on Marceau being coal.

Edited by tfcas119
error

[GC]
Alpha Tester
762 posts
3,587 battles

HHHHHNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Gimmegimmegimmegimme. I need it. Gimme.

Also, WV '44, Penn '43, Nevada '44. Pretty please. Take my money.

--Helms

• Funny 1

[GROVE]
Members
11 posts

California looks like a New Mexico with muscles xd the Marceau looks good but personally I like dd with smoke but to use it as a mini cruise it looks good.

Edited by Shark_Silent1
error

[SVF]
Members
1,349 posts
1,821 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

ell, people did want a WV44, and isn't that basically what this USS California is?

Different main guns and AA suites, so not an exact comparison.  Still waiting for WV44 btw, WG.

WRT California the traverse needs improved, but a good starting point otherwise imo.

Edited by landcollector

[SALVO]
Members
23,314 posts
23,942 battles
11 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Different main guns and AA suites, so not an exact comparison.  Still waiting for WV44 btw, WG.

WRT California the traverse needs improved, but a good starting point otherwise imo.

Oh darn.  100% my bad.  I didn't look her up, but did now.  She's a Tennessee class BB, not a Colorado class.  So, she's a 4x3 14" armed BB.

EDIT:  It's actually nice to see a Tennessee class BB added to the game (something new), rather than just another Colorado (the WV44, for example).

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
7,463 posts
12,172 battles
43 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

WG’s answer to everyone screeching for WeeVee ‘44, Only it’s basically NewMex ‘44 instead... 😑

It's basically an upgraded New Mexico, aka Tennessee-class:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee-class_battleship

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
1,273 posts
6,996 battles
22 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

It's basically an upgraded New Mexico, aka Tennessee-class:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee-class_battleship

I'd like to point out that New Mex, Tennessee, and Colorado are all the same basic hull with certain details differentiating them. With Tennessee, the upgrade was mainly ditching the low mounted secondary guns and some internal improvements, Colorado was a Tennessee with 16" guns. Not quite the boat we were asking for, with WV '44 being essentially a hybrid between South Dakota class (not the 1920's never built one) era equipment and the broken shell of a former Colorado. It was almost a new ship built from the bones of an old one, though it did retain the slow speed and somewhat limited main armament from the original.

The idea behind us wanting the WV '44 was to have something of a highly accurate, possibly secondaries oriented doom turtle, not fast, but still deadly once it gets in range. Cali as presented here looks to me like a New Mex with upgraded AA, upgraded secondaries, and a tolerable reload (WG, you really need to take a fresh look at low tier USN BB reload timers, they have not aged well). Not seeing any real accuracy upgrade like we'd really want from an up-tiered USN standard, to offset that low speed and let us use the range. It could be interesting with a few tweaks, and upgrades, but right now I'm not feeling it. At this point, it looks to be useful mainly as a USN premium for use in operation Narai for when you get tired of having 16" guns on Colorado. The silver lining of this, is that it would take minimal effort to turn the model into a WV '44 because the Tennesse's got pretty much the same upgrades. Now that I think of it, this is starting to remind me of the Z-39/T-61 controversy, when WG teased a boat many people wanted, then dropped an ok boat nobody had really asked for, then surprise dropped the one people had been asking for and it turned out to be just plain better. Kind of have to wonder if that's about to happen again.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[GC]
Alpha Tester
762 posts
3,587 battles

All of the standard-type battleships representing incremental improvements/changes with respect to each other, the Tennessee as a separate class (since they were considered such by the Navy) deserves to be represented in the game. WV '44 should go in as a C-hull refit for Colorado in my opinion, to avoid further making an already-troublesome and powercreeped platform even more irrelevant.

Hopefully California will serve as a testbed for some ideas for how to make the mid-tier USN battleships less painful to play. Or, alternatively, hopefully she'll get Massachusetts-style secondaries. Perhaps both?

--Helms

• Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts

Looks like the California has some potential.  We always need more BBs are Tier 7.  Like others, I would have liked to see a Tier 7 WV'44.  That said, getting a Tennessee class refit into the game is a good thing.

+1 WG!

• Cool 3

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,605 posts
10,850 battles

I have exactly 1 issue with California at the moment. 

Arizona at tier 6

California at tier 7

Mass and 'Bama at tier 8

GEorgia and Ohio at tier 9 and 10

We have literally been given 5/8 premium ships that could form a second USN BB Branch - so where the hell is the split for the tech tree with ships like Delaware, Florida, Nevada, Pennsylvania - which I'm looking for cause home state, Tennessee, The actually made South Dakota, some sort of fiction ship or design I'm unaware of, and an updated version of the 1920 SoDak design that maybe uses Worcesters turrets (given it was planned to have 6" secondaries) instead of what was intended making an even more interesting case for a somewhat slower but tankier secondary using line - making it unique from both the USN current line and the high speed German secondary line.  

• Cool 3

[KAPPA]
Members
1,273 posts
6,996 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

@CaptHarlock_222

lol

Doom turtle; a standard, even if only 8 x 2 127mms, with Mammie/Georgia’s secondaries.

Well that was certainly one proposal I heard to make WV '44 work as a T8. Personally I liked the concept, to a degree, it would be a bit like Georgia minus the ridiculous speed. The real threat would be the excellent accuracy of the main guns, with the 5 inchers being mainly fire starters. Of course we have no idea what WG might do for it at this point. I suppose we could make some guesses based on what they do with Cali here, considering the similarity, though this is a T7 instead of a T8. Personally, I've always felt that this was what the USN slow BBs should have been from the start, slow, tough, and having good range and accuracy to help make up for their lack of speed, but still better at defense than offense. I guess there still is the possibility for something like that should we ever get a line split for USN BBs (and there's no reason we shouldn't, there are lots of potential alternates and never-weres to fill it out).

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
5 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

When they decided that only going 21 knots was acceptable provided they could go anywhere they wanted to at 21 knots.

• Funny 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,575 posts
3,661 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

I have exactly 1 issue with California at the moment. 

Arizona at tier 6

California at tier 7

Mass and 'Bama at tier 8

GEorgia and Ohio at tier 9 and 10

We have literally been given 5/8 premium ships that could form a second USN BB Branch - so where the hell is the split for the tech tree with ships like Delaware, Florida, Nevada, Pennsylvania - which I'm looking for cause home state, Tennessee, The actually made South Dakota, some sort of fiction ship or design I'm unaware of, and an updated version of the 1920 SoDak design that maybe uses Worcesters turrets (given it was planned to have 6" secondaries) instead of what was intended making an even more interesting case for a somewhat slower but tankier secondary using line - making it unique from both the USN current line and the high speed German secondary line.  

There has been no impact on a USN BB split by adding those ships.  They aren't the class leaders or are WG fabrications:

Pennsylvania at Tier VI (Arizona is a Pennsylvania class BB)

Tennessee at Tier VII (California is a Tennessee class BB) 

South Dakota at Tier VIII (Massachusetts and Alabama are South Dakota class BBs)

Georgia and Ohio are WG fabrications and tech tree ships with different names, say Maine and Louisiana, can be added just fine.  

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
26,919 posts
14,501 battles

Im hoping Marceau would be an alternative tier 10 DD for the traditional french DDs sub branch so she might come after yet to be mention t9 which maybe could be Le Hardi or T 47, I hope WG doesn't put T 47, Le Hardi & L'Adroit class DDs into the game as premiums like they did with panic garage sale we that well call a bunch of tier 6 plus USN prem BBs.

• Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles
5 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

You're giving me Kindergarten flashbacks. Please, no. That game is particularly bloody.

Other than that, sure. Except WG might decide to not give a WV that would face tier X ships nor a cookie-cutter Colorado. But they could mess around with her to do stuff, I won't say what.

27 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Im hoping Marceau would be an alternative tier 10 DD for the traditional french DDs sub branch so she might come after yet to be mention t9 which maybe could be Le Hardi or T 47, I hope WG doesn't put T 47, Le Hardi & L'Adroit class DDs into the game as premiums like they did with panic garage sale we that well call a bunch of tier 6 plus USN prem BBs.

I agree. Don't worry. If WG can remove smoke, it can put it back. And look, this Marceau thingy does not even have main battery reload booster!

The problem here is the gaps. What should fill it?

Members
72 posts
4,732 battles
5 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

I would actually prefer if we got more WW1-era battleships. Ships from that era are awfully underrepresented in this game, especially with the A hulls that got removed but never turned into premiums.

• Cool 1