You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chief_SeaDog

Ousted again

13 comments in this topic

[SOCOM]
[SOCOM]
Members
636 posts
21,449 battles

I started the French event but can not  continue, got 6 of 7 but the last four are 1 for Aircraft carriers, which I do not do. two for DD which I do not do. and random/clan which is out of the question, So being a cruiser/bb player I guess am out.

• Boring 3

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,385 battles

That is what it means! Of course you could always throw out your stubborn sick in the mud attitude and try DDs and CVs. But of course that would make sense. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,127 battles

Are you referring to the current Directive? You can complete it without playing either DD nor CV. That is what I am doing, and almost done.

[USCC]
Members
3,000 posts
13,776 battles

French DD's part one just seem'd so... I don't know.
And the people dropping lots of money to buy crates for a chance to get tech tree ships..
I played here and there on and off, but after knocking off all the little flowers from ships, I had spent nothing, and just farmed as much coal as i could from the first crates available with the tokens.
I have no intention of finishing, and I'm fine with that.

If you ask me, the second half of the event is really the better half, at least you'll end up with a unique commander, the tech tree ships, I can get those later.
As for the Siroco, it just doesn't seem all that interesting to me to be honest.
But to be fair, I'm not really a fan of smokeless DD's.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,381 posts
14,152 battles

Most of the missions can be done in co-op so grab a DD of the appropriate tier and bang away.

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,385 battles

@DustRhino He is complaining about the inability to do every mission because some require DDs or CVs which he stubbornly refuses to play but would rather complain about.

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,773 battles
1 hour ago, Chief_SeaDog said:

I started the French event but can not  continue, got 6 of 7 but the last four are 1 for Aircraft carriers, which I do not do. two for DD which I do not do. and random/clan which is out of the question, So being a cruiser/bb player I guess am out.

You have only yourself to blame with your myopic decisions, i.e. refusing to play randoms or CBs and refusing to play DDs or CVs, etc.  And BTW, there's only ONE (non French DD specific) task in Directive 4 that's 100% DD only, and that's the one for the DD ship type.  You can spot torpedoes in other ships types, though it's less common.  And you can do the "Severe Damage" task requires fires, citadel hits, torp hits, or flooding hits; all of which you can do in cruisers or BBs (though of course, only a handful of BBs mount torpedoes).

The reality is that many mission tasks in this game are related to ship types and trying to encourage players to play all types of ships.  If you limit yourself to only 2 of the 4 ship types, you've made the conscious decision to limit yourself when you should know full well that WG's missions will have specific tasks for each type of ship.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,459 posts

Part 3 is a grind and a half- 3 million $$ on each of 6 different nations- or, if you're lucky, you can grind 5 at once with one of the early release DD's.   I was not that lucky, getting only the tier 5 Jaguar, which doesn't count...    I have 5 done, with just one last to do- Soviet, most likely as I have more ships there.

Not an easy job as a Co-op player- who also has a job, and can't play hours and hours every day.   Made even more difficult by the #$%&ing instawin mercy rule crap,  and all the torp spammers out there.   I'd use more DD's myself- but those nations got completed first, lol!    We'll have to see if the Podvoisky/Minsk/Leningrad tag team is as profitable as Sims/Mahan/Farragut/Nicholas was.   Or Jaguar/Siroco/Aigle/Bayard.

I already have the prizes for step 3 and 4- I'm just going for the doubloons.  (and, of course, all those credits!)

@SpudZero   Siroco is actually pretty fun.   Think of it like a Bayard lite- with a touch of Podvoisky/Minsk thrown in for good measure.   Imo, the smoke is irrelevant- your guns should be banging away most of the time- getting you spotted anyway.   Then you have those nasty torps to deal with whomever you just p/o'd by pounding the heck out of them.   Tier 5 is a real sweet spot right now for aggressive gunboat/hybrid DD's.   And with the reload booster, no red DD in it's right mind wants to pick a gunfight with you, lol.   (keep in mind, you are NOT hamstrung by 5.5 or 4 km torps, like the other tier 5 gunboats are...)

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,773 battles
23 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Most of the missions can be done in co-op so grab a DD of the appropriate tier and bang away.

This is technically true, but it's brutal to try to do the ship type tasks that require 10k base XP for each ship type tasks playing in coop.  They're so much easier in randoms when you can earn more base XP in a loss than you can in a win, in coop.  Ditto for operations.  Clan Battles was a great way to deal with the credit earning tasks in Directive 3, but a little chancier for the base XP tasks in Directive 4, since you only get 250 BXP in a CBs loss while you get 2500 BXP in a CBs win.

So, frankly, if one is going to grind these tasks in coop, you'd better have a LOT of time on your hands.  You're going to need it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,381 posts
14,152 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

This is technically true, but it's brutal to try to do the ship type tasks that require 10k base XP for each ship type tasks playing in coop.  They're so much easier in randoms when you can earn more base XP in a loss than you can in a win, in coop.  Ditto for operations.  Clan Battles was a great way to deal with the credit earning tasks in Directive 3, but a little chancier for the base XP tasks in Directive 4, since you only get 250 BXP in a CBs loss while you get 2500 BXP in a CBs win.

So, frankly, if one is going to grind these tasks in coop, you'd better have a LOT of time on your hands.  You're going to need it.

True but the OP admitted he isn't a CV or DD player and while grindy he would get a lot less grief in co-op for dying quickly.

[USCC]
Members
3,000 posts
13,776 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

@SpudZero   Siroco is actually pretty fun.   Think of it like a Bayard lite- with a touch of Podvoisky/Minsk thrown in for good measure.   Imo, the smoke is irrelevant- your guns should be banging away most of the time- getting you spotted anyway.   Then you have those nasty torps to deal with whomever you just p/o'd by pounding the heck out of them.   Tier 5 is a real sweet spot right now for aggressive gunboat/hybrid DD's.   And with the reload booster, no red DD in it's right mind wants to pick a gunfight with you, lol.   (keep in mind, you are NOT hamstrung by 5.5 or 4 km torps, like the other tier 5 gunboats are...)

I'm not at all worried about another DD I can gun them down quite proficiently, it's when you get focused by red, it happens a lot, and when the bot cv decides to come after you, and he lets all the other reds know where you are.
This is where smoke comes into play, if you're caught out in the open, your dead fast without smoke, you need it to break off the engagement and kite away, or to the nearest island to take a cover and set up an ambush etc.

I have Le Terrible, and as good a ship as she can be at times, I still prefer a ship with smoke.

Having said that, I'll still complete the line when they finally drop, I may find uses for some of them. :Smile_veryhappy:

[WOLF9]
Members
4,459 posts
2 hours ago, SpudZero said:

I'm not at all worried about another DD I can gun them down quite proficiently, it's when you get focused by red, it happens a lot, and when the bot cv decides to come after you, and he lets all the other reds know where you are.
This is where smoke comes into play, if you're caught out in the open, your dead fast without smoke, you need it to break off the engagement and kite away, or to the nearest island to take a cover and set up an ambush etc.

I have Le Terrible, and as good a ship as she can be at times, I still prefer a ship with smoke.

Having said that, I'll still complete the line when they finally drop, I may find uses for some of them. :Smile_veryhappy:

imo, Le Terrible lives up to it's name...   Then again, so does playing a DD in hi-tier co-op, lol.   Damn swarmbots.   It's a real pain, trying to strike that balance between being aggressive enough to actually get in on the battle, but cautious enough to NOT be the target of choice for the reds.  In the end, good games mainly happen when the bots get target locked on someone ELSE:Smile_teethhappy:.

In the mid to low tiers, the lack of smoke isn't much of a problem- I just play Jag and Siroco like a maniac on 5 shots of Espresso.   Works pretty well, lol.  Those 2 dodge pretty well, and once you're close, few ships have a prayer of keeping their guns lined up on you.   Those games rarely last that long anyway.    It IS an adjustment, though- but fun working out how to get the most out of them.

What can I say? Pew! Pew! Effing Pew!! is very entertaining, lol.  (especially when it brings you opportunities to "eat my torps, you pile of Atari 2600 parts!!!")

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,127 battles

To me, the main objective of finishing the Directive tasks is to finish all the Directives, and get the reward ship. Some of the tasks pay out 1 signal flag. Is it really worth grinding for that? Some offer 1 French DD container, which may have a DD mission, I will admit. But, if the OP has finished the fourth Directive, so what if he can't finish all of the tasks.

Though, the bigger question is, if he is not a DD player, and isn't willing to bring the DD tasks, why does he/she care about getting a French DD reward ship, or French DD missions? The other rewards are not worth the grind it takes, if you are doing anything but your regular play activities.