You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Good DD line to start on?

42 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,491 posts
1,809 battles

What do you folks recommend for a potato to get experience playing destroyers? I have premium DDs from all nations so training a captain isn't a problem. I'd like to learn, if for no other reason than to understand how to counter them. And you never know, I might even have fun. 

[WHARF]
Members
187 posts
15,078 battles
8 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

What do you folks recommend for a potato to get experience playing destroyers? I have premium DDs from all nations so training a captain isn't a problem. I'd like to learn, if for no other reason than to understand how to counter them. And you never know, I might even have fun. 

I would run the Japanese line....has 2 lines you can grind...torpedo and gun boat

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

Go with the USN line as a DD beginner. They have adequate guns, torps, smoke, stealth, and knife-fighting abilities. The best "balanced DD's".

Just remember that many USN DD's are a Jack of all trades, master of none. But they're the best mix of everything a new DD players needs to learn. The more difficult lines can be saved for later.

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,148 posts
4,668 battles
34 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

US and Japanese do not have hydro so you will need a premium to learn the tricks. But I would go with US just because good all around. 

I run vigilance by default -- it should be run on all DDs w/ out hydro IMO.  Helps screen for torps as well when you're assisting BBs (aka trying to keep a teammate stay alive that's hell bent on being a bad BB and throw a ranked game)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,556 posts
18,079 battles
56 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Players are unkind to German DDs, but they are quite effective. US are good all-around ships. IJN are torp boats and Russian are gunboats. Some of the Pan-Asian ships are very good but Captain training is an issue because they flop from gunboat to torp boat to 0all-around boat depending on which nation made them.

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles

Don't listen to a poster that recommends USN DDs first. You're better off starting with the RN (UK) DDs if you want a knife fighter. They get better torpedo options, sonar, quick loading smokes for when you mess up and heals later in the game. RN DDs are what USN DDs wish they were. They also get 360 degree turrets, at high tiers, which is a game changer when you're playing aggressively. Their torpedoes can be launched in a fan spread or into a single line for devastating results.

USN DDs require a very high skill floor that many new players simply do not have yet. If you want an easier DD to learn how to play, IJN torpedo boats are great teachers for positioning and learning how to avoid torpedoes when you start playing other classes. Arguably, SN (RU) DDs are the best teachers for when and how to use your guns and health pool management. IJN gun boats I do not have experience in but looking at how they play, you need a good captain before they really shine (Basically need IFHE for them).

You can also try the KM DDs but they also have a high skill floor due to the more preplanning (All DDs require replanning to do well) required to do well in them. There guns are slow and their AP is situational, HE is meh but their torpedoes are quick to reload. The only downside is that they do not really pack a punch like IJN torps do.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Players are unkind to German DDs, but they are quite effective

It's because they require a great player for them to shine. I do enjoy the KM line but more often than not, I find myself struggling to make game changing plays. They kind of remind me of the Bard from your typical role playing game. They are great support but if they need to fight directly, they tend to get squished. The sonar plus great reverse speed is fantastic for contesting caps, though. My favorite thing to do is to pop my 5km sonar in smoke and gun down DDs.

[CAST]
Members
4,808 posts
3,359 battles

USN is probably the best line to learn how to play DDs due to a combination of good guns and good torps at high tiers.  I find the Royal Navy ones pretty good to learn on as well, although they play differently. USN smoke is designed for long time usage at a specific cap or choke point as it lasts freaking forever. British smoke on the other hand is all about situational stop and go where you absolutely need to take down a target fast or disengage.

Both lines have fantastic DD on DD premium gunboats at Tier 8 in the Kidd (USN) and Cossack (RN).

[B_Y_F]
Members
454 posts
10,746 battles

British DD is also very user-friendly. You have lots of good tools to prevent you die to simple DD mistakes in early game (e.g. camp smoke than eat torps). As a new line, it has less power creep issue compare to USN and IJN.

I think they are the best for new DD player now.

[ARCO]
Members
737 posts
1,237 battles

US DDs are something not better in anything but have enough speed and concealment, good smoke and  good guns once you get used to the high parabolics, and a lot of good torps.

I recommend them to start.

UK are supposed to be easy but are not really at all.

Russian and french are very specific in gunnery and speed so not for beginners (wish I knew that 3years ago)

Germans I only got to tier VI, but only found fun the front torpedo-firing low tiers.

[SYN]
Members
5,470 posts
12,704 battles

Used to be US destroyers, but not anymore thanks to powercreep.

The consensus is now that starters should go with UK DDs.

But whatever you do as a new player, stay the hell away from French DDs.  Big, fast gunboats that, unlike their fantasy Russian counterparts, have neither smoke or repair as an insurance policy.  And this at a time where carriers are having an absolute field day with destroyers, at least in the low and middle tiers.

[KSE]
Members
3,942 posts
18,378 battles

I don't know I found US destroyers are kind of a Jack of all trade pretty friendly  If you can master them they can master any of the lines

The British destroyers are a lot of fun to but I feel they take a little bit more skill

Edited by silverdahc

[TAW]
Members
163 posts
17,184 battles

For beginner I'd say German line as they really don't have a bad DD with none of them deviating much from a prior one and have effective guns and torps so you can practice with both. 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,194 posts
17,763 battles

The hardest line to play is Russian.

Gearing with legendary is a blast.

Shimma is fast. 

Daring is pure fun.

Z52 is a bully.

The most power crept and nerfed is the Pan Asain line.

• Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
7,493 posts
5,450 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

The hardest line to play is Russian.

Gearing with legendary is a blast.

Shimma is fast. 

Daring is pure fun.

Z52 is a bully.

The most power crept and nerfed is the Pan Asain line.

Um, he mentioned starting on a line.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Members
3,942 posts
18,378 battles
1 minute ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I think I'll try the American and British lines concurrently and see what I like.

Good luck out there They're fun keep your head on a swivel

[OO7]
Members
232 posts
23,691 battles

German or British dds are very user friendly (hydro). Very forgiving to new players. 

[BNKR]
Members
1,491 posts
1,809 battles

Oh, also realized I have the Acasta, Icarus, and Jervis unlocked from the old British DD event. Better to start with one of those?

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
3 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Oh, also realized I have the Acasta, Icarus, and Jervis unlocked from the old British DD event. Better to start with one of those?

Yes. British DDs are the easiest to use as a beginner. They are just more forgiving when you make a mistake.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
3 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I strongly recommend United States Navy Destroyers.

They give you a taste of every aspect of DD play, from torpedoes to guns. 

They are Jack of all trades master of none, once you get a good taste of DD gameplay with these ships, you will start to have a better idea which specific line you would like to go down that is more focused on one characteristic. 

o7

• Cool 1