Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

How to play DDs when you’re bottom tier?

13 comments in this topic

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles

Was in a game last night where i really felt hopeless on how i could make an impact with T7 German DD. I was completely bottomed tier’d by other DD (mostly T9). 

Do you follow the high tier DDs on your team and wait for reds to thin out or screen your big ships? Having your CE of 6.8 vastly outclassed by other DDs made that match extremely stressfull.

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles

Spot, screen, and play Mister support DD as best you can. Try to use terrain for a stalking ambush...

...but yeah, what you said about your concealment makes for much suckage of circumstances...

• Cool 3

[WHARF]
Members
249 posts
17,454 battles
2 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

Was in a game last night where i really felt hopeless on how i could make an impact with T7 German DD. I was completely bottomed tier’d by other DD (mostly T9). 

Do you follow the high tier DDs on your team and wait for reds to thin out or screen your big ships? Having your CE of 6.8 vastly outclassed by other DDs made that match extremely stressfull.

Support your fleet...set smoke for BBs and CAs...spot and fire torps for area denial

Members
3,100 posts
6,691 battles
2 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

It is definitely one of those things where lacking one upgrade slot has a disproportionately high effect on you.

[Y0L0]
Members
227 posts
20,799 battles

let a dd with a better conceal take the lead or closely support capital ships that can open up on anyone that fires on you even if you are spotted

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,376 posts
20,047 battles

You gotta play a patient long game 

Remember destroyers get more powerful as the game goes on be alive at the end and you will make your presence known

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

Play support to the other DDs on your team unless you're confident your concealment can compete. For example, Haida's 5.7km concealment is actually better than some tier 8 DDs. But Maass is definitely not competitive, lol.

So find a low concealment DD on your team and back him up to whatever cap he's going for. Just stay a bit behind him. Then you can gang up on enemy DDs together. Eventually, you'll get to a point where ships have dwindled down, including enemy DDs, and then you can start doing more independent things again.

Tier 7 doesn't often tier up very well. But that's okay as Tier 7 at least gets top tier fairly often. Once you get to tier 8, you're basically playing Tier 10-Lite.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,529 posts
4,599 battles

My advice would be (this is what I try to do) to initially play more conservatively and not rush forward at full speed.  Use available islands and cover to help you avoid fire while spotting early in the game.

Try to stay alive for the mid game and end game where you can help other players on your team by attacking ships that are now heavily damaged.  One torpedo and you sink the target.  You still have smoke and speed boosts when the higher tier DD's used theirs already.  Games go for 15 minutes.  You don't have to win or even heavily contribute in the first 5 to 7 to be useful in the last 5 to 7 when both sides are whittled down and your side having a DD gives it an advantage at things like taking (or retaking) an objective, or your having worked behind the other team can now approach a ship with its turrets the wrong direction for a finishing salvo.

Members
1,170 posts
11,397 battles

Anytime your concealment is significantly higher, whether uptiered or a gunboat, you have to play as a “second” destroyer. Support someone else into a cap... play “just behind” and double their firepower and capping speed. You ain’t spotting solo with bad concealment.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
On 8/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, Legio_X_ said:

Maass needs a buff, same with Z23.  They lost a lot on the flooding changes, and their concealment has been an issue with newer ships released.  They just don’t have enough gun power to meet their concealment values so they struggle to find their position in battle.

ETA I realized I didn’t add any tips to help you.  The best thing I could say is if possible go with a DD with better concealment and wolf pack enemy DDs, where this is impossible try to use islands to mask your approach, maybe hydro can spot the enemy DD for your team.

Another option is to play more passive, get close enough to spot BBs and CAs for your team to work on.  Focus on getting good firing position if your teammates radar an enemy DD.  Smoke up and wreck him.  Sling torps at the BB and CAs or likely DD locations in the meantime.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles
30 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Maass needs a buff, same with Z23.  They lost a lot on the flooding changes, and their concealment has been an issue with newer ships released.  They just don’t have enough gun power to meet their concealment values so they struggle to find their position in battle.

ETA I realized I didn’t add any tips to help you.  The best thing I could say is if possible go with a DD with better concealment and wolf pack enemy DDs, where this is impossible try to use islands to mask your approach, maybe hydro can spot the enemy DD for your team.

Another option is to play more passive, get close enough to spot BBs and CAs for your team to work on.  Focus on getting good firing position if your teammates radar an enemy DD.  Smoke up and wreck him.  Sling torps at the BB and CAs or likely DD locations in the meantime.

Does IJN DDs have thin armor that negates AP advantage German DDs have on broadside targets? I got completely wrecked by an Aasshio (sp?) last night in my Z-23 while firing AP into him at about 5km with him being broadside. 

I know IJN DDs got the HE pen buff, but man i didnt think a primary torp boat would rekt me that hard.

granted i just got the z-23 so everything is stock. 

Edited by Legio_X_

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
10 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Does IJN DDs have thin armor that negates AP advantage German DDs have on broadside targets? I got completely wrecked by an Aasshio (sp?) last night in my Z-23 while firing AP into him at about 5km with him being broadside. 

I know IJN DDs got the HE pen buff, but man i didnt think a primary torp boat would rekt me that hard.

granted i just got the z-23 so everything is stock. 

The below video might help.  Yes in general your AP will zip right through most flat broadside DDs.  What you are looking for are DDs slightly angled.  The angle increases the armor thickness just enough to arm your AP.  I highly recommend you spend some time in the training room getting to know what your AP will do and what it wont.  I do this pretty regularly to stay sharp on areas I can punish with AP.  Pro tip, you will find plenty of points of aim that offer pen damage from "odd" angles.  For example a ship angling at 45 degrees or so might offer a good target for the flared section of their bow that offers a flatter angle to you, or if the target has a flat stern, shooting right up the stern.

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles
13 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The below video might help.  Yes in general your AP will zip right through most flat broadside DDs.  What you are looking for are DDs slightly angled.  The angle increases the armor thickness just enough to arm your AP.  I highly recommend you spend some time in the training room getting to know what your AP will do and what it wont.  I do this pretty regularly to stay sharp on areas I can punish with AP.  Pro tip, you will find plenty of points of aim that offer pen damage from "odd" angles.  For example a ship angling at 45 degrees or so might offer a good target for the flared section of their bow that offers a flatter angle to you, or if the target has a flat stern, shooting right up the stern.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this